PDA

View Full Version : Thunder: do you think Durant really models himself after Larry Bird?

HI-FI
12-27-2012, 11:18 PM
or is it more likely that Stern sat down with Durant and explained the situation...

"Look, I need to recreate a Magic-Bird rivalry. It's great for business, and I want Adam to take over in the same situation that I was fortunate to have when I became commish. But it's important that you start telling people you model yourself after Larry Bird. Go watch some game tape on him, otherwise you probably couldn't tell him apart from any other honky or goy. People already compare Lebron to Magic, but I need you to embrace this Bird role so I can have our PR and media departments prepare the league for more finals with you two."

irishock
12-27-2012, 11:20 PM
:lol Stern already giving up on the Lakers

Latarian Milton
12-28-2012, 09:26 AM
dirk may have been the closest thing to him since bird retired imho. durant has the potential to be a real great player but he ain't a similar type of player as bird, and you never saw bird getting single handedly locked down by someone like marion imho

Trill Clinton
12-28-2012, 09:29 AM
i don't like that comparison.

i compare durant to bernard king or george gervin.

Clipper Nation
12-28-2012, 10:19 AM
I compare Durant to prime Donaghy, tbh....

JoeTait75
12-28-2012, 10:28 AM
LeBron is the closest thing to Bird, tbh, in terms of his all-around game. Although obviously he isn't the lights-out shooter Bird was, his passing and rebounding are Bird-esque. Plus LeBron is a better defender than Bird was (although Bird wasn't as bad a defender as he's sometimes made out to be.)

dunkman
12-28-2012, 11:47 AM
LeBron has no weaknesses in his game, overall he's more talented than both, MJ who lacked PG skills and Magic that couldn't defend or play monkey ball, and will be considered the new GOAT when its all said and done. That being said, Bird for example was better in some aspects then LeBron: rebounding, shooting and reflexes.

DejuanorwhatDude
12-28-2012, 12:17 PM
KD if anything has watched youtube clips of Larry Bird.

Latarian Milton
12-28-2012, 07:47 PM
bron is a living legend and probably the most complete basketball player since magic, and he's not a standard monkeyball player anymore. dude can still fly but he ain't no longer slamming the rim on a regular basis like he used to do when he was younger. bron has changed his game since he joined miami and he's more of a leader now than he's ever been in the past

Dallas
12-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Kevin Durant has a lot to learn before he can be put in the same sentence as Bird and LeBron.

Tuddy
12-28-2012, 08:02 PM
No one said any of this about lebron till he started playing with 2 franchise players. His last year in Cleveland everyone was criticizing his finishing and jumpshot which haven't changed he's just playing with more talent to take a heap of the pressure off him.

HI-FI
12-28-2012, 08:06 PM
I compare Durant to prime Donaghy, tbh....
:lol
I just find the timing odd, how Durant suddenly starts saying he grew up loving Bird and wants to model his game after him. The NBA has been pushing this Magic/Bird 2.0 mixtape on the public for awhile now, since the NBA's effort to turn Kobe into Jordan can't even be fucking accomplished with $100 million dollars. It feels like Durant got the newest Stern memo to start referencing Bird more, so the public is prepared for more finals between the two. Hopefully I'm being paranoid, because I really don't want to see the same fucking teams in the finals every year.

TheChillFactor
12-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Just kissing up to OKC's honky fanbase tbh...

Latarian Milton
12-29-2012, 02:45 AM
bron also managed alot of change in his own game as the circumstances changed imho. nigga played monkeyball the majority of time in cleveland but he's now a leader of our team and does everything to improve his teammates as well. the younger lebron would throw himself at the basket any chance he got to entertain his fans, but he's on winning mode now. last time you saw bron playing monkeyball was in the 2011 finals, where we got backdoor swept but a mature lebron won't let shit happen again imho

Dallas
12-29-2012, 03:02 AM
bron also managed alot of change in his own game as the circumstances changed imho. nigga played monkeyball the majority of time in cleveland but he's now a leader of our team and does everything to improve his teammates as well. the younger lebron would throw himself at the basket any chance he got to entertain his fans, but he's on winning mode now. last time you saw bron playing monkeyball was in the 2011 finals, where we got backdoor swept but a mature lebron won't let shit happen again imho

More pussyball than monkeyball in 2011.