Miami exercises the contract option of Qyntel Woods

New Jersey exercises the contract option

Dan D'Antoni (Mike's brother) becomes Suns assistant coach

Clippers waive Mamadou N’Diaye

Wizards extended qualifying Kwame Brown and Steve Blake

What does that mean.... I thought they got rid of Kwame

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 03:48 AM
They didn't get rid of him. By extending the Q.O. it makes Kwame Brown a restricted free agent. So the Wizards have the right to match any offer another NBA team makes him this offseason.

AI-square
06-30-2005, 03:49 AM
That means they are now restricted free agents, meaning the team can match any offer that is put forward to the player by other teams. The 76ers did the same with Dalembert and Kyle Korver.

Eva
06-30-2005, 03:58 AM
June 29

Wow, this guy is still in the NBA? :lmao

kolko
06-30-2005, 06:02 AM
June 29

New Jersey exercises the contract option

:wtf

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 06:12 AM
:wtf

:lol Sorry. I don't know why his name disappear. It's Jacque Vaughn.

DesiSpur_21
06-30-2005, 06:25 AM
June 29
Wizards extended qualifying Kwame Brown and Steve Blake

My guess is Wizards are playing a trick here esp. if a Eastern Conf. team offers Kwame a contract, they'd take full 15 days to react.

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 06:40 AM
We'll use this thread to post the daily transactions this summer.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2005, 07:34 AM
FYI, the Restricted FA period is no longer 14 days, but 7.

Taco
06-30-2005, 07:39 AM
June 29

http://prodtn.cafepress.com/2/471602_F_tn.jpg
This guy?

batman2883
06-30-2005, 07:54 AM
I think its a smart move, only because they can propose like a sign and trade deal with another team. Instead of losing Kwame for nothing, they can get a little incentive in return

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2005, 07:59 AM
QyntelWoods hahahahaha....How cool would it be if the Spurs got one of those bad seeds in their locker room and totally reformed them...

This was the guy who got pulled over and showed the cop his basketball trading card! hahaha

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 09:20 AM

that just doesn't seem like it should be right.
Un-kosher.

King
06-30-2005, 09:22 AM
The only thing I know about Ndiaye is a few years ago, he blocked like eight shots in a game. The next day, the paper headline was "nobody block shots like Mamadou (mama do)"

ducks
06-30-2005, 09:36 AM
FYI, the Restricted FA period is no longer 14 days, but 7.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Mamadou had a strong SL with the Clippers and was signed to a guaranteed deal by them before he had a chance to play for the Spurs at the RMR. There's a fair chance he would've been a Spur last season had that not happened.

wildbill2u
06-30-2005, 10:21 AM
They didn't get rid of him. By extending the Q.O. it makes Kwame Brown a restricted free agent. So the Wizards have the right to match any offer another NBA team makes him this offseason.

don't you think they may want to retain his rights--and then try to trade him? I don't see how he and the Wizards could get back together after all the history.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 10:25 AM
don't you think they may want to retain his rights--and then try to trade him?Sure -- worst case scenario is he takes a one year QO and they can't trade him -- kind of a no-brainer for a team over the cap (which the Wiz will be by retaining his and Hughes' rights).

Duff McCartney
06-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Kwame gives them nothing...not sure why they'd be afraid of losing him for nothing.

bigzak25
06-30-2005, 10:57 AM
June 29

hey, if TMass is out, i'd take him as our 12th man.

ShoogarBear
06-30-2005, 01:47 PM

He is expected to improve their water bottle skills.

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 02:19 PM
June 30

The Seattle SuperSonics have extended qualifying offers to four restricted free agents -- Vladamir Radmanovic, Reggie Evans, Ronald Murray and Damien Wilkins.

The Sonics have five other players who can become free agents, including guards Ray Allen and Antonio Daniels.

Coach Nate McMillan's contract was scheduled to expire on Thursday.

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 02:45 PM
do we think they'll re-sign McMillan??

ShoogarBear
06-30-2005, 03:41 PM
I think it's pretty much guaranteed that McMillan's gone.

The fact that Seattle wouldn't release him early to negotiate with other teams probably cinched it.

mrcoon29
06-30-2005, 03:42 PM
About D'Antoni's brother coaching with him..unbelieveable there no nepotism rule in the NBA!

Gino2882
06-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Radmanovich would be a good fit in SA. Wont happen though.

scott
06-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Now I will ask the question I ask every summer...

Is Pedrag Drobjak a free agent, and what are the chances we can sign him?

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Now I will ask the question I ask every summer...

Is Pedrag Drobjak a free agent, and what are the chances we can sign him?

He has two more seasons on his contract with the Hawks. He makes a little over $3M/year.

scott
06-30-2005, 06:35 PM
His old website is worth that much.

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 06:53 PM
About D'Antoni's brother coaching with him..unbelieveable there no nepotism rule in the NBA!

exactly!

ShoogarBear
06-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Where in any professional sport is there an anti-nepotism rule?

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 08:14 PM
These aren't just from today, but they are relevant:

Charlotte: Bernard Robinson had his salary guaranteed since he was still on the Bobcats roster on June 30. Declined the team option for Tamar Slay. He is an unrestricted free agent. Did not make a qualifying offer to Theron Smith. He is an unrestricted free agent.

Chicago: Did not make a qualifying offer to Jared Reiner. He is an unrestricted free agent.

Cleveland: Declined the $1.76 million team option for Robert Traylor. Waived Lucious Harris. His $2.75 million salary would have been guaranteed on July 1.

Denver: Greg Buckner declined his player option. He is an unrestricted free agent.

Golden State: Calbert Cheaney exercised his $1.76 million player option.

Houston: Vin Baker exercised his $3.85 million player option. Scott Padgett declined his player option. He is an unrestricted free agent.

LA Clippers: Quinton Ross had his salary guaranteed since he was still on the Clippers' roster June 15. Waived Mamadou N'diaye.

Miami: Exercised the team option for Alonzo Mourning. Exercised team option for Qyntel Woods.

New Jersey: Ron Mercer exercised his $1.76 million player option. Team declined its $5,875,000 option for Cliff Robinson. Exercised the team option for Jacque Vaughn.

New Orleans: Chris Andersen declined his $1.76 million player option. He is an unrestricted free agent.

Orlando: Stacey Augmon exercised his player option.

Phoenix: Declined the team option for Paul Shirley. He is an unrestricted free agent.

Sacramento: Exercised the $3,375,000 team option for Bobby Jackson. Greg Ostertag exercised his $4.4 million player option.

Seattle: Antonio Daniels declined his $2.2 million player option. He is an unrestricted free agent.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Charlotte: Did not make a qualifying offer to Theron Smith. He is an unrestricted free agent.There you go, LJ.
Phoenix: Declined the team option for Paul Shirley. He is an unrestricted free agent.We have to sign this dude for the blog.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-30-2005, 08:59 PM
No shit Ron Mercer exercised his option.

"Let's see...steal money from the Nets, or bag groceries at the HEB the Spurstalkers buy food for GTGs from?"

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 09:42 PM
The Golden State Warriors exercised the contract options on guard Mickael Pietrus and forward Zarko Cabarkapa on Thursday, thus keeping them in the Bay Area through the 2006-07 campaign.

Also on Thursday, Golden State waived forward Rodney White, who appeared in 16 games for the Warriors last season.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2005, 09:54 PM
The Golden State Warriors exercised the contract options on guard Mickael Pietrus

I think that's the first thing Mullin's got right in the last two years :lol

Gino2882
06-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Pietrus would be great as the long term SF. Not happenin though.

picnroll
06-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Damon Jones didn't excercise his option and I believe Dooling is gone or going so Miami needs a PG.

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Damon Jones didn't excercise his option and I believe Dooling is gone or going so Miami needs a PG.

Dooling hasn't exercised or declined his option yet, but you are right - they are expecting him not to return.

Horry For 3!
07-01-2005, 03:54 AM
Damon Jones & Keith Dooling = gone
Alonzo Mourning = might be gone

Slo spurs fan
07-01-2005, 03:58 AM
Kori is there something new about Bostjan Nachbar? Will he stay at NO?

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 04:07 AM
Nachbar is an unrestricted free agent.

Backup center Chris Andersen has decided to opt out of his contract to explore free agency. Point guard Dan Dickau, forward Bostjan Nachbar, guard Casey Jacobsen and forward Lee Nailon all became free agents today.

Slo spurs fan
07-01-2005, 04:11 AM

Useruser666
07-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Damon Jones & Keith Dooling = gone
Alonzo Mourning = might be gone

Morning's option was picked up by Miami.

ObiwanGinobili
07-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Phoenix: Declined the team option for Paul Shirley. He is an unrestricted free agent.

We have to sign this dude for the blog.

:tu :tu
That guy is F*ing funny.

bigzak25
07-01-2005, 09:31 AM
man, i'd like damon jones in a spurs uni...woohoo...it's offseason...i can dream.

alamo50
07-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Antonio Daniels and/or Greg Buckner........hmmmmmmmmmmm.

wildbill2u
07-01-2005, 11:53 AM

That's what Don Nelson said. :lol

CaptainLate
07-01-2005, 12:56 PM

Some team ought to make a lowball offer to Kwame and force the Wizards to keep him. Make them a team that won't be a threat for years to come till they cut the guy. LMAO

CaptainLate
07-01-2005, 01:01 PM
These aren't just from today, but they are relevant:

Denver: Greg Buckner declined his player option. He is an unrestricted free agent.

New Jersey: Ron Mercer exercised his $1.76 million player option. Team declined its $5,875,000 option for Cliff Robinson. Exercised the team option for Jacque Vaughn.

Sacramento: Exercised the $3,375,000 team option for Bobby Jackson. Greg Ostertag exercised his $4.4 million player option.

Too bad Buckner isn't a SF. He's a Spurs-type player. Hey Cliff, come to the Spurs if you want a ring like we got your buddy, Jerome Kersey. Ostertag exercising his option was a no brainer as no team in their right mind would pay that stiff $2mil, much less $4mil. LMAO

CaptainLate
07-01-2005, 01:04 PM
man, i'd like damon jones in a spurs uni...woohoo...it's offseason...i can dream.

Nice, perhaps...but wrong position.

CaptainLate
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Morning's option was picked up by Miami.

He knows Miami won't win him a ring so he'll retire. Malone, Zo, Payton, et al., all ride off into the sunset chasing a ring. Spurs could become the Oakland Raiders of the NBA. Keep a core group of 8 players and fill the other slots with all-start vets who want a ring.

CaptainLate
07-01-2005, 01:10 PM
that just doesn't seem like it should be right.
Un-kosher.

Bull. If you want to make a team family-oriented, then Management and Coaching should be family, too. Of course, if siblings and relatives are incompetent in those areas, you'd be stupid to hire them. They can be part of the stadium cleanup crew. LMAO

Supergirl
07-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing Antonio return to the Spurs, as a back up PG. He's reallly matured a lot as a player, and I liked him. He'd full a need for a bigger more athletic PG to help Tony defend PGs like Billups.

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 03:06 PM
To get Antonio Daniels here would be great. Bring Scola, keeping Horry, and somehow signing Antonio would be a great offseason. AD could play a little point (Beno still gets his time) some SG (manu resting) and steal some minutes at SF.

Felonius Monk
07-01-2005, 03:23 PM
I was hoping this thread would stick to the original subject and be a convenient place to check on signings, releases, etc. instead of becoming another wish list.

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 06:19 PM
:tu :tu
That guy is F*ing funny.

He actually has a book deal coming, i believe. There was a local article about it recently.

As for DanDan, Mike's bro, he's not going to be a bench coach. More like a practice coach/consultant.

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Cleveland: Declined the $1.76 million team option for Robert Traylor.

The Suns have mentioned interest in him.. Maybe the other big man if Hunter doesn't sign. I'm not too keen on him though.

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Tractor is just large. He isnt really a center and the Spurs have enough PFs.

sickdsm
07-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing Antonio return to the Spurs, as a back up PG. He's reallly matured a lot as a player, and I liked him. He'd full a need for a bigger more athletic PG to help Tony defend PGs like Billups.

But Parker can defend bigger pgs, like billups, no problem, right LJ?

:rolleyes

ducks
07-01-2005, 07:06 PM
ad is going to start somewhere after his strong showing against the champs in the postseason

Frenchise player
07-01-2005, 07:28 PM
But Parker can defend bigger pgs, like billups, no problem, right LJ?

:rolleyes
Billups is the 2004 nba finals mvp, he has shown that he is a good shooter and that he is clutch.
The fact that he is big isn't that important. When he did post up Tony, he didn't score that many points, he was more successful when he penetrated or more simply when he shooted from long range.
I don't think Daniels will have more success at defending Billups than Parker.

Brutalis
07-01-2005, 08:17 PM
http://gorillamask.net/grapestomp.shtml

ROFLMAO

Mr Dio
07-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Well, Redd got the MAX from Mil.

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Well, Redd got the MAX from Mil.

He hasn't accepted yet, so Cleveland is still holding their breath.

I think a lot of teams are waiting to see what happens with Redd/Allen/JoJo. Once those three sign, the the FA should really start going.

td4mvp3
07-01-2005, 10:51 PM
http://gorillamask.net/grapestomp.shtml

ROFLMAO
completely off subject, but i am curious where your poem comes from.

BillsCarnage
07-01-2005, 10:57 PM
JoJo will likely be getting a similar offer from the Suns soon too.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-02-2005, 12:56 AM
I was watching espn, they said Bogut signed a 2 year contract with the bucks. Why would the bucks only sign him to a 2 year deal, and not a 3 year deal?

ChumpDumper
07-02-2005, 12:57 AM
I was watching espn, they said Bogut signed a 2 year contract with the bucks. Why would the bucks only sign him to a 2 year deal, and not a 3 year deal?That's how the new rookie contracts work. Two years then two one-year team options followed by restricted free agency.

ducks
07-02-2005, 09:25 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2099115

The Milwaukee Bucks didn't stop Friday at signing No. 1 overall draft pick Andrew Bogut. They also presented free-agent sharpshooter Michael Redd with a maximium contract offer in the afternoon, ESPN.com has learned.

Michael Redd
Shooting Guard
Milwaukee Bucks

2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
75 23.0 4.2 2.3 .441 .854

The Bucks, according to sources, have commited to paying the 25-year-old an estimated $80-90 million over the next six seasons. Exact figures won't be available until July 22, when the league is expected to announce next season's salary-cap number, but what is known now is that Milwaukee's offer will indeed be $20-plus million higher than anyone else's.

That's because the Bucks, as Redd's current rights-holders, can offer a six-year deal. Outside suitors for Redd can only offer five years.

That includes the Cleveland Cavaliers, who've made Redd their No. 1 target in free agency by offering a five-year max deal worth an estimated $60-70 million.

Redd would stun most league observers if he leaves that lucrative extra year on the table, but the fact he didn't immediately accept Milwaukee's offer gives Cleveland some hope. The Cavs are Redd's home-state team, and sources told ESPN.com the former Ohio State star was treated to a video plea to come to Cleveland from LeBron James early Friday morning.

Free-agent negotiations throughout the league commenced at 12:01 a.m. Friday. To make their pitch as early as possible, Cleveland arranged to have a video delivered to Redd at that time featuring a recruiting pitch from James.

Sources said Seattle's Ray Allen -- Cleveland's target if Redd stays with the Bucks -- received a similar video.

Teams can only sign incoming rookies until the new labor agreement takes hold July 22, since rookie salaries (like Bogut's) are determined by scale.

Redd can reach a oral agreement immediately with the Bucks or the Cavs or anyone else, but official free-agent signings are still three weeks away.

It's not yet known whether the Bucks' ongoing search for a coach will impact Redd's decision. Since firing Terry Porter during the NBA Finals, Milwaukee continues to chase ex-Minnesota coach Flip Saunders and came close to hiring TNT analyst Doug Collins.

Saunders, believed to be waiting to see if he has a shot at Detroit's job, remains a Bucks candidate. Collins, though, is said to have asked out of the search after initially showing interest in the job.

The Bucks are nonetheless optimistic about their future, having drafted Bogut and hoping that T.J. Ford can return from a year-long injury absence next season. Milwaukee is expected to try to bring back Allen if it loses Redd to the Cavaliers.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Also, click here to send a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.

BillsCarnage
07-02-2005, 12:11 PM
I just don't get it. Why not just match an offer from another team. If the players original team matches an offer the player has to sign with the original team. If teams are serious about keeping a player then let them go get an offer and match it. Five years at $70mil is a lot cheaper than six years at $80-90mil.

FlyMonk321
07-02-2005, 12:30 PM
I just don't get it. Why not just match an offer from another team. If the players original team matches an offer the player has to sign with the original team. If teams are serious about keeping a player then let them go get an offer and match it. Five years at $70mil is a lot cheaper than six years at $80-90mil.

If they play the wait and see game, some team with a ton of cap space, The Cavs perhaps, will offer Redd the max they can, and Milwaukee will bascially have to offer the max to lure Redd away from the greener pastures of not Milwaukee. By offering the Max right now, they show Redd they are 100% commited to him and probably their best bet to keep him.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-02-2005, 01:44 PM
If a player like michael redd is getting MAX contracts these days, we're seriously entering a dark age of basketball rosters

FlyMonk321
07-02-2005, 01:59 PM
contraction?

mrcoon29
07-02-2005, 02:20 PM
If a player like michael redd is getting MAX contracts these days, we're seriously entering a dark age of basketball rosters
Yeah, seriously is the dude really worth that kind of money??

And OT: That vid link was funny. Cheaters never win!! Wonder what her injuries were, though.

grjr
07-02-2005, 04:43 PM

I assume it's because Redd is an unrestricted free agent so the Bucks have no matching rights.