PDA

View Full Version : Raptors & Kings firesale?

cd021
12-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Note:-someone posted A DMC thread earily in the week, not intentionally trying to bite just giving an update..

Not necessarily spurs related but...

"One source close to the situation said Friday that Andrea Bargnani (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/7015) remains "a lock to be moved." That naturally depends on finding a taker for the underachieving Italian forward, but Kyle Lowry (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/7038)'s contract shouldn't be too hard to attach to a trade, valued at $5.8 million this season and with only $1 million guaranteed of the $6.2 million he's owed next season." ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-121228-29/year-numbers)

Calderon has also reported been on the trading block

The early word from the DeMarcus Cousins trade watch, according to the latest rumbles on the personnel grapevine, is that Kings (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/4563) co-owners Gavin and Joe Maloof remain reluctant in the extreme to part with their young big man, especially at a time when -- after three suspensions already this season -- Cousins' trade value isn't exactly on the upswing. There's a growing sense among potential suitors that under-fire Kings (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/4563) general manager Geoff Petrie, who has overseen zero trips to the playoffs under five coaches in the six-plus seasons since Rick Adelman left town, would be willing to move Cousins, preferably in exchange for a dependable veteran of quality or two who could bring some instant improvement to a franchise stuck in lottery land and still plagued by an uncertain future in terms of where this team will be calling home in the long term.

ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-121228-29/year-numbers)

Tyreke Evans or Jimmer Freddette also could be move in a deal with Cousins.

Would any one take a flyer one any one of them?

ploto
12-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Jose Calderon has been on the trading block so many times...

TheSkeptic
12-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Bargnani sure assuming we don't give up anyone worthwhile. Blair, Bonner, maybe a second round draft pick, etc. He played well last year when he was able to work in the midrange area but the Raptors completely changed the system this season so that they were basically playing him to shoot 3s, rebound, and play defense (none of which he's actually good at). On a team like the Spurs he could be a reliable 18+ scorer. The playoffs don't particularly phase him and he loves to win. He'd be an upgrade for our frontcourt as a legitimate 7 footer. The fact that he can get a shot off pretty much anywhere is also a plus. Pop's the kind of coach he'd flourish under because he knows how to coach offensive players while also getting guys like Neal to look average. As long as Bargs isn't providing help defense he should be relatively okay.

Cousins not so much. He's disruptive and a guy with his mental issues has no place on a contender at this point. Maybe once he mellows out. While neither he or Bargnani have been particularly efficient this year, I think a big part of the reason why the Spurs FO has done so well for itself is the fact that they've managed to avoid guys like Cousins over the years. I just don't think someone who is immature enough to confront Sean based on what someone else had told him is mentally stable enough to be a part of the Spurs. Blair drives me crazy as-is...Cousins would flat out make me crazy.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-29-2012, 05:15 PM
I say we get Bargnani just to see what timvp does. Maybe trade Leonard for him.

Seventyniner
12-29-2012, 05:21 PM
^Nice implied blue font.

szkorhetz
12-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Bargnani sure assuming we don't give up anyone worthwhile. Blair, Bonner, maybe a second round draft pick, etc. He played well last year when he was able to work in the midrange area but the Raptors completely changed the system this season so that they were basically playing him to shoot 3s, rebound, and play defense (none of which he's actually good at). On a team like the Spurs he could be a reliable 18+ scorer. The playoffs don't particularly phase him and he loves to win. He'd be an upgrade for our frontcourt as a legitimate 7 footer. The fact that he can get a shot off pretty much anywhere is also a plus. Pop's the kind of coach he'd flourish under because he knows how to coach offensive players while also getting guys like Neal to look average. As long as Bargs isn't providing help defense he should be relatively okay.

Cousins not so much. He's disruptive and a guy with his mental issues has no place on a contender at this point. Maybe once he mellows out. While neither he or Bargnani have been particularly efficient this year, I think a big part of the reason why the Spurs FO has done so well for itself is the fact that they've managed to avoid guys like Cousins over the years. I just don't think someone who is immature enough to confront Sean based on what someone else had told him is mentally stable enough to be a part of the Spurs. Blair drives me crazy as-is...Cousins would flat out make me crazy.
Excuse me, have you hard about Stephen Jackson and his first two years with the Spurs?

Strategic
12-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Not necessarily spurs related but...
but nothing! Well, any team in the west that fubar's their line-up should mean easier wins for the Good Guys, but that's about it.

cd021
12-29-2012, 09:45 PM
I say we get Bargnani just to see what timvp does. Maybe trade Leonard for him.

He would be the Rolls Royce of stretch bigs but still really one dimensional.

cd021
12-29-2012, 09:47 PM
but nothing! Well, any team in the west that fubar's their line-up should mean easier wins for the Good Guys, but that's about it.

Just a disclaimer so the teachers pets won't get up in arms.

sananspursfan21
12-29-2012, 11:35 PM
wait. so let me get this straight. posters have been pleading for a "defensive big" with shot blocking ability and paint presence for who knows how long and now you guys are wanting to bring in andrea bargnani???!!!

sananspursfan21
12-29-2012, 11:36 PM
please tell me "sarcastic blue" forgot to be applied to the text

Ginobili2Duncan
12-30-2012, 12:09 PM
The Spurs need a fourth big that can help shore up the frontcourt defense. I doubt Bargnani is going to want to be the fourth big wherever he goes. And he is not what the Spurs need at this moment-not even close. I sure as hell wouldn't want to play $23 million to a rich man's Matt Bonner.

ManuTastic
12-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Don't know much about him, I don't doubt what you say about his skillset. But it's always been my impression if you don't play help defense in SA you didn't play at all. AFAIK that's why it took Splitter so long to earn playing time. Also, the SA offense really doesn't feature long 2-pt jump shots IMO.

temujin
12-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Bargnano, the ultimate anti-Spur? No thanks.

Mel_13
12-30-2012, 12:28 PM
There is no trade for Andrea that makes any sense for the Spurs. I'll never understand how people who moan and groan about Bonner want to acquire a guy who can't rebound or defend as well as Bonner and gets paid three times as much.

venitian navigator
12-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Because he's a better one on one defender (Bonner has been, in play offs, the target of every opposite team).
Because his offensive skills are way more than three point shooting.
And finally because he's a real 7 footer than, if well coached in a specific role and with a good motivation, could still become a very good player.

The talent is still there (otherwise he could have never been a decent 1 draft choice).

EJFischer
12-30-2012, 12:55 PM
I would rather see a blind player on the Spurs than Bargnani.

Bill_Brasky
12-30-2012, 01:08 PM
There is no trade for Andrea that makes any sense for the Spurs. I'll never understand how people who moan and groan about Bonner want to acquire a guy who can't rebound or defend as well as Bonner and gets paid three times as much.

This is what I was thinking. That is some dumbfuck logic.

TheCerebral1
12-30-2012, 01:50 PM

Bargnani does nothing outside of shooting. He's not worthy of his contract. He doesn't have the ability to defend the post or the block. He's severely a one dimensional player with little impact. For his cap hit, no thanks.

Mel_13
12-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Because he's a better one on one defender (Bonner has been, in play offs, the target of every opposite team).
Because his offensive skills are way more than three point shooting.
And finally because he's a real 7 footer than, if well coached in a specific role and with a good motivation, could still become a very good player.

The talent is still there (otherwise he could have never been a decent 1 draft choice).

If Andrea was any of that, the Raps wouldn't be so ready to offload him.

TheSkeptic
12-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Excuse me, have you hard about Stephen Jackson and his first two years with the Spurs?

Jax is a thuggish dude who will stop at nothing to protect his teammates.

Cousins is a moron who will stop at nothing to protect his fragile ego.

One can work within a team concept. The other needs to mellow out and mature.

Don't know much about him, I don't doubt what you say about his skillset. But it's always been my impression if you don't play help defense in SA you didn't play at all. AFAIK that's why it took Splitter so long to earn playing time. Also, the SA offense really doesn't feature long 2-pt jump shots IMO.

I'm not convinced that this applies to stretch 4s in Pop's system. But that's a good point.

Bargnani does nothing outside of shooting. He's not worthy of his contract. He doesn't have the ability to defend the post or the block. He's severely a one dimensional player with little impact. For his cap hit, no thanks.

Don't get me wrong. I don't actually want either of them on the Spurs. Just saying that Bargnani could be a good player in Pop's system whereas Cousins would be a headache from start to finish. Bargnani>Bonner, Blair so that in itself is an upgrade to our frontcourt. Plus he has a tendency to take on the qualities of the bigs around him. That said, we're speaking in pure hypotheticals and Bargs isn't my ideal for the Spurs.

If Andrea was any of that, the Raps wouldn't be so ready to offload him.

Of course they would. They're incompetent. Drafting, free agent signing, contracts (Bargs being a good example of that), coaching, etc. And marketing often takes priority over winning ball games. Toronto has a very different culture from San Antonio as a ball club although bringing in Casey was a good step.

Bargs has played badly this season for the most part but the talent is definitely there. As I said in my first post, the Raptors changed the system this season and forced him to play to his weaknesses. Put him on a different team with a defined role and he'll produce.

For the record though, I want the Spurs to target guys like Gortat or Amir Johnson. Bargnani's definitely *not* the player that the Spurs need and I didn't mean to give that impression. :toast

baseline bum
12-30-2012, 04:21 PM
LOL, Bargnani is a worthless piece of shit. How does Toronto think they're moving that garbage contract? :lol

baseline bum
12-30-2012, 04:22 PM
he's a real 7 footer

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

resistanze
12-30-2012, 04:41 PM
I'd literally trade Bargnani for a 10 million dollar bag of Skittles.

baseline bum
12-30-2012, 04:49 PM
I'd literally trade Bargnani for a 10 million dollar bag of Skittles.

Good luck with that; a 10 million pound bag of turds is closer to his market value.

Gagnrath
12-30-2012, 05:17 PM
A fire sale generally means they want expirings or young cheap players.

Spurs are a little low on young and cheap, though they do have a few expirings. Bad news is neither of those teams have much to help the spurs that they would get rid of. Cousins is about it and while I would take a flyer on being able to fix him his value is probably higher than Blair, Mills, and a second rounder.

maverick1948
12-30-2012, 07:08 PM
As best as I can see, everyone on this thread thinks we are going to get a top player in trade for little or nothing. Why would Toronto or Sacramento give us someone like Bargnani, Cousins or Thompson for our end of the bench players? We should be looking for a 4th big on their roster that would help us. Toronto has Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis and Aaron Gray as their top 4 with Val out for 4 to 6 weeks. Aside from Davis, I dont want a single one of their front line. Sacramento has Cousins, Thompson, Robinson, Hayes and Johnson in their front line. The first 3 are their future if they can hang on till Cousins matures. I dont want Hayes as we already have Blair for a super short PF/C. That leaves James Johnson from Sacramento.

Ed Davis is not going to be traded for our bench, he is too good. That leaves us with one player on the two teams that we could trade our scrubs in enchange for him. Johnson is a former 1st round pick at #16 in 2009. In 87 games with Toronto, he started 65. He averaged 9+ pts/g and 4.7 reb. Plus he added 1+ blocks and 1+ stls per game. Stats show Johnson is a better defender than Bonner. Would Sac take Matt Bonner in trade for Johnson? Would the Spurs make the trade? Your guess is as good as mine. I don't know. Should the trade be made, we would get about 800,000 in cap relief and not give up the open roster spot.

TDMVPDPOY
12-30-2012, 07:24 PM
maloofs want 500m for the kings...lol no way that team is even worth 500m

Andthentherewas21
12-30-2012, 07:45 PM
As best as I can see, everyone on this thread thinks we are going to get a top player in trade for little or nothing. Why would Toronto or Sacramento give us someone like Bargnani, Cousins or Thompson for our end of the bench players? We should be looking for a 4th big on their roster that would help us. Toronto has Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Ed Davis and Aaron Gray as their top 4 with Val out for 4 to 6 weeks. Aside from Davis, I dont want a single one of their front line. Sacramento has Cousins, Thompson, Robinson, Hayes and Johnson in their front line. The first 3 are their future if they can hang on till Cousins matures. I dont want Hayes as we already have Blair for a super short PF/C. That leaves James Johnson from Sacramento.

Ed Davis is not going to be traded for our bench, he is too good. That leaves us with one player on the two teams that we could trade our scrubs in enchange for him. Johnson is a former 1st round pick at #16 in 2009. In 87 games with Toronto, he started 65. He averaged 9+ pts/g and 4.7 reb. Plus he added 1+ blocks and 1+ stls per game. Stats show Johnson is a better defender than Bonner. Would Sac take Matt Bonner in trade for Johnson? Would the Spurs make the trade? Your guess is as good as mine. I don't know. Should the trade be made, we would get about 800,000 in cap relief and not give up the open roster spot.

Toronto wants to get rid of Bargnani as they've finally realized he is part of the reason they continually suck and they are willing to take expiring contracts to dump him. They've all but come out and said they are going to wait til he is healthy, play him a few games to demonstrate it, and then ship him out. Not that I want Bargnani, but he could be had for what the Spurs could offer.

Gagnrath
12-30-2012, 08:07 PM
maloofs want 500m for the kings...lol no way that team is even worth 500m

Honestly the Sacramento area strongly supports the team when they have a halfway decent product, (Know this from having lived there for the last few years of them being good with Webber, Bibby and a few others.) Honestly the Maloofs are vegas people and are trying to force the League to allow them to move the team there.

exstatic
12-31-2012, 10:04 AM
tbh, the only player in the original post that would interest me is Sacto's Evans. We're going to need a SG in a couple of years.

maverick1948
12-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Toronto wants to get rid of Bargnani as they've finally realized he is part of the reason they continually suck and they are willing to take expiring contracts to dump him. They've all but come out and said they are going to wait til he is healthy, play him a few games to demonstrate it, and then ship him out. Not that I want Bargnani, but he could be had for what the Spurs could offer.

You just stated the biggest reason we dont need him as a Spur. If Toronto sucks with him then we dont want him.