PDA

View Full Version : If the Spurs could acquire Garnett..

Malik Hairston
12-30-2012, 01:56 AM
With the Celtics looking dead and approaching a total rebuild, if the Spurs could somehow acquire KG in a salary dump + pick or a deal along those lines, would the Spurs do it?..

Would you risk chemistry? Would the fans accept KG in a Spurs uniform? Would Duncan accept KG on the team? Could he fit in with the quiet and understated Spurs style?..

I realize this is highly unlikely, but let's play hypothetical..

Malik Hairston
12-30-2012, 02:04 AM
Stylistically, Garnett appears to be the perfect solution for the Spurs problems IMO(mobile defensive player, spacing out to 18-20 feet, elite passer, leadership/toughness)..

HI-FI
12-30-2012, 02:09 AM
I don't think his toughness/attitude would be a problem on the Spurs, I think it's more him and Duncan can't stand one another. If you trade away some pieces who add to the chemistry, but add an asshole like Garnett, it could be a volatile mixture. He does give us something we need, and if it turned into a championship it would be worth it, but what happens if it doesn't? Then bad blood would probably remain. It's definitely an interesting proposition and one I hope they've thought about, discussed with Timmy etc...

Ice009
12-30-2012, 02:09 AM
What's your package to acquire him?

And does Tim really not like him?

freetiago
12-30-2012, 02:10 AM
If they really are trying to get Cousins and spurs could somehow find their way to be involved in that trade and get one of bradley/garnett i wouldnt mind
spurs have to much useless depth
good for the reg season but id rather be 7/8 deep with higher quality nonredundant players

bradley would fix a lot of spurs defensive problems
him and leonard playing aggressive perimeter defense would be amazing
we could trap pick and rolls and not bend over to any team that runs it
A garnett/duncan/diaw or splitter frontcourt is the best in the league
all compliment each other perfectly

MANUNG-Ginobili
12-30-2012, 02:11 AM
trade Duncan for Garnett...lol

playblair
12-30-2012, 02:13 AM

spurs1990
12-30-2012, 02:18 AM
The need for a big man is vastly overblown if you go back and see who SAS had during their runs:

Duncan, Oberto, Horry, Elson

Duncan, Nazr, Horry, Rasho

Duncan, DRob, MRose

So Duncan is still there, and Splittler, Diaw, and Bonner can easily contribute in the manner those other big men did. The kicker is that this current team is talented in the backcourt in a way like never before. So I say stay put, hope every player is healthy, and if the shots go down at the same rate as the regular season, a Finals run is more than probable.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-30-2012, 02:29 AM
Kevin Willis was the man in 2003.

Sean Cagney
12-30-2012, 02:31 AM
The need for a big man is vastly overblown if you go back and see who SAS had during their runs:

Duncan, DRob, MRose

So Duncan is still there, and Splittler, Diaw, and Bonner can easily contribute in the manner those other big men did. .LOL at BONNER contribute like the rest of them when? Sure as hell not in the f in playoffs when it counts bro, not even close to those guys in the title runs they had! He is a bum when it counts, I still laugh at his name even being mentioned in a run or the playoffs. You get regular season guys and those that have that IT factor, well he doesn't have near that IT factor like those guys did regardless of regular season numbers my friend!

callo1
12-30-2012, 02:32 AM
Tim hates him. Won't happen.

Milsap

Andthentherewas21
12-30-2012, 02:33 AM

Duncan, DRob, MRose

So Duncan is still there, and Splittler, Diaw, and Bonner can easily contribute in the manner those other big men did. The kicker is that this current team is talented in the backcourt in a way like never before. So I say stay put, hope every player is healthy, and if the shots go down at the same rate as the regular season, a Finals run is more than probable.

Difference is that the Duncan they had in those runs and the one they've had in the last few playoffs are two different players. Ya he's been resurgent so far and everyone hopes it continues, but that is a lot to put on a guy with a lot of miles and a long road before the playoffs start. Secondly, your replacing a HOF center (albeit at the end of his career) in 2003, and one of the most clutch shooters of all time especially in the playoffs in '05 and '07, with the biggest playoff choker of all time in Bonner, who can't contribute in the playoffs period so cross him off the list of those that can "easily" contribute. Then you've got Diaw who has been wildly inconsistent this season, meaning your left with Splitter and small-ball.

Not that I think a Garnett trade is likely, or even possible given the animosity between him and Duncan, but there is no chance of the Spurs winning a title without a big man. They aren't the Heat or OKC, the refs aren't going to call the wind for fouls on Spurs players, and with the rest of the west particularly LAL, Memphis, and LAC all with better frontcourts, the Spurs aren't going far without some help

BadOne
12-30-2012, 02:40 AM
What are KG's contract numbers like? With Manu and Jack coming of the books next year, would you want to add another commitment to someone who, while is still a great player, past their prime? Throw in the chemistry issue, not sure I'd do it.

howbouthemspurs
12-30-2012, 03:29 AM
Duncan obviously hates Garnett .... ...not going to happen

timtonymanu
12-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Of course I would take Garnett...but what would it take to get him?

I'm guessing Boston would ask for Splitter. Also maybe Jack's expiring. But yes, I would take him.

timtonymanu
12-30-2012, 03:36 AM

Duncan, DRob, MRose

The thing is Duncan was still a superstar big man during the championship years. Right now, he's playing very well, but there is still a chance Duncan will eventually get tired towards the playoffs. I don't believe that Splitter would be reliable enough to carry the team. Diaw and Bonner? Yeah right.

Russo21
12-30-2012, 03:46 AM
I've always hated KG with a passion but the time has come where it'd be good to see him in silver n black. He has everything we need. He's tall, can rebound and play good D, he's very energetic and plays with fire, has moves in the post and a nice outside J. He'd instantly be the second best big on our team. I'm sure Tim is mature enough to set his feelings aside, it'd probably be fun to chase a ring with a former arch enemy.

Of course, Jackson's expiring is pretty much all we can offer. It's time for the C's to rebuild. I'm sure the C's could do better for him.

z0sa
12-30-2012, 05:03 AM
No. Tim Duncan dislikes KG.

Juggity
12-30-2012, 05:12 AM
Of course I would take Garnett...but what would it take to get him?

I'm guessing Boston would ask for Splitter. Also maybe Jack's expiring. But yes, I would take him.

tbh I would take that deal in a heartbeat. Getting Garnett now is worth giving up Splitter and Jack. Tim came to play this season. It may be the last season in which he plays at a high enough level make a finals run possible. If you have an opportunity to surround Duncan with somebody who solves a large portion of the spurs' defensive woes, has good mobility, and can knock down jumpers/score in the post it's a no brainer.

Winning now is more important than preparing for a post-Duncan future, and I'd be willing to cut Splitter out of that future picture if it means acquiring Kevin Garnett now. I wouldn't be worried about chemistry issues with Duncan. Garnett wants to win. Duncan wants to win. They would put aside past differences.

FlAVaK
12-30-2012, 06:37 AM
tbh I would take that deal in a heartbeat. Getting Garnett now is worth giving up Splitter and Jack.

But KG has a contract worth about what resigning Jack AND Tiago would probably cost next summer. So put a little more talent on the Boston side of the trade proposed, while giving them even more cap relief...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bz7zb4u

KG + Avery Bradley + Fab Melo for Jackson + Splitter + Neal + Picks/Rights

Then dump Blair for a pick and sign Gelabale.

I know, pipe dream, but if Cetics want to go into rebuilding mode...

thunderup
12-30-2012, 06:43 AM
:lol @ spur fans entertaining this idea.

It won't happen, for reasons already stated in this thread.

Raven
12-30-2012, 07:18 AM
he's the perfect fit to play alongside timmy, then again it wont happen.

Danny.Zhu
12-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Timmy hates that piece of shit.

Richie
12-30-2012, 08:27 AM
But KG has a contract worth about what resigning Jack AND Tiago would probably cost next summer. So put a little more talent on the Boston side of the trade proposed, while giving them even more cap relief...

So the Cs give up two talented young players and a hall of famer for two 27 years olds? In what way is that rebuilding?

The Celtics should rebuild, but thats more down to Pierce than Garnett. They can't full on rebuild with him there, so they'd have to be willing to trade him as well as Garnett

exstatic
12-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Tim hates him. Won't happen.

Milsap

Duncan obviously hates Garnett .... ...not going to happen

No. Tim Duncan dislikes KG.

Timmy hates that piece of shit.

KG is the anti-Tim. He's loud and in your face...until the fourth quarter rolls around, and then he vanishes. Mr. hot potato with the ball late in games.

Obstructed_View
12-30-2012, 10:21 AM
He'd be a good addition to the Spurs. Also, fuck him. I'd rather see him crumpled on the court holding his shattered knee than see him in a Spurs uniform.

Mel_13
12-30-2012, 10:33 AM
1. The OP correctly labeled this as a highly unlikely hypothetical. It's funny that some people think that Boston would have to add Bradley in order to salary dump KG. They won't need to add any sweetener if they just want to get rid of him.

2. No need to add anything to the TD factor in approving KG coming to the Spurs.

3. KG has a no-trade clause in his contract. Does anyone really think he would approve a trade to become a role player on Tim Duncan's team? I know anything is possible, but some things are unlikely in the extreme.

armynick23
12-30-2012, 10:48 AM

I think this is the best idea, I have heard all year..............:downspin::downspin::downspin::d ownspin:

timvp
12-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Obviously you'd trade for him if possible. But, yeah, would never happen.

BTW ... :lol @ "KG is a much better player than TD now, he deserves a much bigger contract" ... I'm not going to point fingers but there were quite a few peeps around these parts who held that opinion not too long ago.

Biggems
12-30-2012, 10:54 AM
the only player I never wanted on the Spurs is Karl Malone. I hated his dirty, scumbag ass with a passion. If the Spurs decide to get Garnett, hopefully without gutting our lineup too much, I would be able to accept it........even if I have never been a fan of garnett and his bullshit antics.....like only stepping to the smaller players.

Libri
12-30-2012, 01:57 PM
KG would rather retire.

Bill_Brasky
12-30-2012, 02:28 PM
If this somehow happened I would cream everywhere.

Brunodf
12-30-2012, 02:30 PM
No thanks

SenorSpur
12-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Since it would never happen, there's really no point in playing this hypothetical.

DAF86
12-30-2012, 06:50 PM

There are many options. The one that would make the most sense for the Spurs is Jackson and Blair for Garnett.

I doubt the Celtics are ready to throw the towel though.

P/S: In a scale from 1 to 10 how much would Duncan hate to trade Jackson for Garnett?

JRHernandez88
12-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Fk yes.

ace3g
12-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA) Here's something you don't get to read often: A one-on-one with Kevin Garnett, thanks to @SpearsNBAYahoo (https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo). http://tinyurl.com/amj9cfc (http://t.co/ppsX4Bbj)

SpursIndonesia
12-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Talking about improbable shit, how about Garnett + spare for Old Gasol ? I think it would be a win-win for both parties, but veeeery unlikely to happen (Celtics & Lakers trading ? lol). :D

DAF86
12-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Talking about improbable shit, how about Garnett + spare for Old Gasol ? I think it would be a win-win for both parties, but veeeery unlikely to happen (Celtics & Lakers trading ? lol). :D

How is that a win for the Celtics?

SpursIndonesia
12-30-2012, 10:14 PM
How is that a win for the Celtics?

- Younger
- Better post player & good all around game
- Capable of carrying Kobe to multiple championships, that has to count bigtime !

Gasol's bad journey so far this season is because of DHo & D'Antoni problems -and Tendonosis thing doesn't make stuffs easier, all of that will go away in Boston. And while his contract is bigger, will last one less year than Garnett's one who's 4 years older.

DAF86
12-30-2012, 10:18 PM
- Younger
- Capable of carrying Kobe to multiple championships, that has to count bigtime !

Gasol's bad journey so far this season is because of DHo & D'Antoni problems -and Tendonosis thing doesn't make stuffs easier, all of that will go away in Boston. And while his contract is bigger, will last one less year than Garnett's one who's 4 years older.

I could see Garnett being an improvement for LA over Gasol (better defensive player, more mobile, more reliable mid-range shooter -this season at least-, appears heathier), I don't see how Gasol could make a difference for the Celtics, maybe a marginal improvement at best but that doesn't help them very much.

SpursIndonesia
12-30-2012, 10:25 PM
I could see Garnett being an improvement for LA over Gasol (better defensive player, more mobile, more reliable mid-range shooter -this season at least-, appears heathier), I don't see how Gasol could make a difference for the Celtics, maybe a marginal improvement at best but that doesn't help them very much.

Yeah, the health angle makes thing a bit better on LA side, but IMHO, Gasol offensive game in the post & its reliability are much better compared to Garnett, and also his post defense is better. Basically this comes to the fact that both players play out of position in their respective teams, and the trade will amend that problem. Ofcourse, this trade is only logical if the Celts is confident that they're still competitive enough for championsip challenge, atleast, within Pierce high level of play window.

therealtruth
12-30-2012, 11:31 PM
The reason the Lakers won in '10 was because Gasol outplayed Garnett. You have to give Phil Jackson credit. He had Gasol playing as the best bigman in basketball for a 2-3 year period.

DMC
12-30-2012, 11:34 PM
The only way Garnett ever comes to SA is if his funeral is there.

spurtech09
12-30-2012, 11:45 PM
automatic nba championship

cd021
12-30-2012, 11:45 PM

Jackson, Blair, Bonner
or
Diaw, Splitter, Bonner

I believe those would really be the only combo's the spurs would conceivable use

Duncan really doesn't like him there was an article in April in SI "21 Shades of Grey" which mentions "Duncan hates Garnett, like Hanitty hates liberals"

It would be awesome to see them together though

cd021
12-30-2012, 11:49 PM
- Younger

Capable of helping Kobe win multiple championships he has been on the decline rather early these last two seasons have been rought. He also historically struggles playing Center thus the problems (Bynum then Howard) his contract is horrid and the Celtics wouldn't be better off with him over Garnett.

Budkin
12-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Didn't we already debate this shit to death over the summer. It will NEVER happen.

DapDaGenius
12-31-2012, 01:19 AM

Yeah, Tim really does not like him, just look up some stuff on google about it.

And, I don't know why SA would even try to get him, he is trying to retire soon, isn't he?

TampaDude
12-31-2012, 02:23 PM
It would be the NBA story of the decade...two bitter rivals putting aside their differences for one last run at championship glory.

Never gonna happen, though.

ALVAREZ6
01-01-2013, 06:58 PM

Duncan, DRob, MRose

During those runs, Manu and Tim were younger, more athletic, more dominant, in their primes. And Tony Parker was basically in his early prime. And the Spurs have normally had depth and important role players. Duncan as the sole dominant big man sufficed, he was the best PF in the game, and 2 top guards in the game, for much of that time probably the best backcourt in basketball. Very different situation.

And I'd also say there are more legit contenders in recent years, making it more difficult.

BanditHiro
01-01-2013, 07:29 PM
The reason the Lakers won in '10 was because Gasol outplayed Garnett. You have to give Phil Jackson credit. He had Gasol playing as the best bigman in basketball for a 2-3 year period.

can't believe they gave the MVP to Kobe.