PDA

View Full Version : tony parker gets a flop warning

lmbebo
12-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Parker flop can be seen here:

http://t.co/70Scj2YZ

Technique
12-30-2012, 12:59 PM
How was that a flop. He overextended and recovered without any whining or pretending to be hurt.

phxspurfan
12-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Flop warning is bigger than a flop watch right? It means a flop is imminent?

DejuanorwhatDude
12-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Big FU from the league...no OKC or Miami player would ever get this shit.

Drz
12-30-2012, 01:37 PM
How was that a flop. He overextended and recovered without any whining or pretending to be hurt.

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1571375153/user106129_pic7277_1235994083_reasonably_small.jpg Homer alert.

You've GOTTA be able to see why the NBA gave a warning. Douglas barely touched him, and Parker jumped four feet like he'd received an electric shock.

tenbeersbold
12-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Yeah but when do we get a fine for super star calls?!?
Harden practically gets a foul every time he drives

If you dont think the NBA will use this "tool" to punish those who it wants to then then that's far worse than being a "homer"
You really trust some arbitrary Stern committee to be above board in applying this....

Wait till we see the as yet to be released harsher flopping penalties for the playoffs...uggh another tool in the fixers box is all it is

Libri
12-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Tony getting a flop warning before Manu. :lol

timvp
12-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Parker obviously tried to sell it but I don't think it was a complete flop. Firstly, Parker rarely ever flops out of bounds like that (for example, Bonner does that about 10% of the time when going for rebounds ... and probably about 30-40% of the time when boxing out a physical rebounder like Zach Randolph). Secondly, the game was basically over so there was really no point to try to draw a foul there ... especially against Toney Douglas.

But, yeah, whatever, a warning isn't a big deal. Parker tried to sell it and that technically goes against the new flop rule. Then again, there should be many more warnings handed out if they are going to penalize a player for such an inconsequential play that was probably a legit foul (or at least a borderline foul) to begin with.

Meh.

BadOne
12-30-2012, 02:10 PM
I won't argue that he tried to get some mileage out of it, but for God's sake, why hasn't THIS fool received a warning yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeRG5qHIxJ0

Bill_Brasky
12-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Of all the flops to receive a warning. Very interesting.

boutons_deux
12-30-2012, 02:44 PM
amazing. NBA intimidating just for the sake of it.

Bruno
12-30-2012, 02:48 PM
The warning seems well deserved but the whole flop procedure should be handled by an independent committee of retired referees. There is an obvious conflict of interest with the league being the one in charge of sanctioning players.

BadOne
12-30-2012, 02:49 PM
The warning seems well deserved but the whole flop procedure should be handled by an independent committee of retired referees. There is an obvious conflict of interest with the league being the one in charge of sanctioning players.

Truth right there...

eric365
12-30-2012, 07:04 PM
I won't argue that he tried to get some mileage out of it, but for God's sake, why hasn't THIS fool received a warning yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeRG5qHIxJ0

None of the flops in the video are from this year.

Parker is the first all star from last season to be warned

Libri
12-30-2012, 07:06 PM

Now that you mention it, I think all the referees should be independent of the NBA.

Stabula
12-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Now that you mention it, I think all the referees should be independent of the NBA.

freetiago
12-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Parker is the most underrated flopper
when he drives he always throws his hands in the air when he gets stripped to act like he was fouled
he already did it in this mavs game 2 minutes in
it was pathetic how much he did it vs okc from game 3-6

KaiRMD1
12-30-2012, 09:32 PM
I hate when Parker throws his hands up. If these players paid more attention to playing better than flopping, a lot of guys would be awesome. Look at Varejao this season, best example of what happens when you start playing and tone down the flopping

timvp
12-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Parker is the most underrated flopper
when he drives he always throws his hands in the air when he gets stripped to act like he was fouledJust about every point guard in the NBA does this.

TDMVPDPOY
12-30-2012, 09:52 PM
he should get a fine every game, worst pathetic flopper on limited contact every time he runs into the lane with a scared weakass rushed layup, lays on the floor for a few seconds complaining for call instead of running back down the end on defense....

cd021
12-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Big FU from the league...no OKC or Miami player would ever get this shit.

To be fair, the league just suspended Wade for mistaking sessions "man-zone" for a football on a T. Miami wound up losing to A Detroit team 10+games below .500

Rasheed Wallace-" BALL(s) DON'T LIE!"

cd021
12-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Just about every point guard in the NBA does this.

You're being rather generous, I can't think of a guard who wouldn't do that.

cd021
12-30-2012, 10:04 PM

Sources-Manu "crying in corner" I kidd but someone lost a bet somewhere.

DMC
12-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Flop warning is bigger than a flop watch right? It means a flop is imminent?

Yes, it means a flop was cited, though not necessarily on the ground.

DMC
12-30-2012, 11:45 PM
I hate when Parker throws his hands up. If these players paid more attention to playing better than flopping, a lot of guys would be awesome. Look at Varejao this season, best example of what happens when you start playing and tone down the flopping

It's not something they can just stop doing. It takes a while. Even if it's not called, it gets the attention of the refs and then Parker can initiate contact and get the call.

DMC
12-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Parker obviously tried to sell it but I don't think it was a complete flop. Firstly, Parker rarely ever flops out of bounds like that (for example, Bonner does that about 10% of the time when going for rebounds ... and probably about 30-40% of the time when boxing out a physical rebounder like Zach Randolph). Secondly, the game was basically over so there was really no point to try to draw a foul there ... especially against Toney Douglas.

But, yeah, whatever, a warning isn't a big deal. Parker tried to sell it and that technically goes against the new flop rule. Then again, there should be many more warnings handed out if they are going to penalize a player for such an inconsequential play that was probably a legit foul (or at least a borderline foul) to begin with.

Meh.

Not to sound pedantic, but I am all for the refs not considering the score or the time on the clock when calling fouls or these things. Too often I hear that a ref should swallow his whistle if it's near the end of a game and the score is lopsided, but that's about the same concept as running a red light at night when there's no one in sight (but a cop). They won't let it go and they shouldn't. I think the arbitrary foul calling is bad enough, but to have people like Sean Elliott and other commentators mention home calls vs road calls, superstar calls vs rookie calls and how different points in the game should have different thresholds for fouls actually discredits the integrity of the game. We don't do that with the NFL. A team can be up 40 points with 20 seconds left and a pass interference is still a pass interference, offsides is offsides and so forth.

NBA refs should not have carte blanche to affect the outcome of the game. They should ref the same, always, at least as much as possible.

I realize you weren't suggesting otherwise, just that they have to consider that Parker had no motive to flop (other than maybe getting to the line to pad his stats). I just rather them not consider any of that or show bias for or against a player based on fouls they've committed in the past.

lefty
12-31-2012, 01:18 AM
Many shitting on Tony once again :lol

racm
12-31-2012, 02:18 AM
Not to sound pedantic, but I am all for the refs not considering the score or the time on the clock when calling fouls or these things. Too often I hear that a ref should swallow his whistle if it's near the end of a game and the score is lopsided, but that's about the same concept as running a red light at night when there's no one in sight (but a cop). They won't let it go and they shouldn't. I think the arbitrary foul calling is bad enough, but to have people like Sean Elliott and other commentators mention home calls vs road calls, superstar calls vs rookie calls and how different points in the game should have different thresholds for fouls actually discredits the integrity of the game. We don't do that with the NFL. A team can be up 40 points with 20 seconds left and a pass interference is still a pass interference, offsides is offsides and so forth.

NBA refs should not have carte blanche to affect the outcome of the game. They should ref the same, always, at least as much as possible.

I realize you weren't suggesting otherwise, just that they have to consider that Parker had no motive to flop (other than maybe getting to the line to pad his stats). I just rather them not consider any of that or show bias for or against a player based on fouls they've committed in the past.

Does Mr. Stern's league care for integrity as much as it does the almighty dollar and marketing professional basketball as entertainment first and sport second?

Sean Cagney
12-31-2012, 02:43 AM

Yep......

Cane
12-31-2012, 03:10 AM
Goddamn flop warnings. Stern and the NBA are going to nickel and dime the Spurs

Anyone remember the Elton Brand push from tonight that sent Parker flying out of bounds? I didn't get a good enough look

DapDaGenius
12-31-2012, 06:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKh8Zq6zhRc

Funny video on flopping(none from this season).

Russo21
12-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Tony got a fucking warning for that? How was that a flop? He clearly got pushed in the back, and then looked to be jumping and reaching out to try get the rebound anyway. Fucka gets pushed, then tries to grab the loose ball anyway and gets a warning? Bad call right there. That was not a fucking flop.

Russo21
12-31-2012, 08:48 AM
DapDaGenius posted a funny set of Flopping. Great Collection man. Props. Tony's definately wasn't a flop compared to those idiotic ones!

Drom John
12-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Homer here, but what I saw was Parker being surprised by the rebound and awkwardly jumping for the the ball. Non-call, no flop.

Fabbs
12-31-2012, 10:17 AM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1571375153/user106129_pic7277_1235994083_reasonably_small.jpg Homer alert.

You've GOTTA be able to see why the NBA gave a warning. Douglas barely touched him, and Parker jumped four feet like he'd received an electric shock.
:lol Exactly. If the roles were reversed and Parker gave a little love tap to opponent and the opponent went flying out of bounds Spurfan would be justifiably calling b.s.

lefty
12-31-2012, 10:24 AM

Stop the BS, LJ :lol

Defending Parker :lol

boutons_deux
12-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Tony was jumping laterally for the RB and that carried him out of bounds.

NBA can go fnck itself.

timvp
12-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Stop the BS, LJ :lol

True, sorry. The "just about" was unnecessary.

Every point guard in the NBA does that. It's standard operating procedure to flail and yell when you get the ball stripped. Hell, CP3 is the best PG in the game and he flails, yells, takes out his mouthpiece and stomps around the court for the next minute screaming at each individual ref when he gets the ball stripped going to the basket.

spurraider21
12-31-2012, 02:00 PM
So according to all warnings and fines how many flops does the league think there have been all season? In reality there are probably a few each game

TampaDude
12-31-2012, 02:33 PM

This. He went for the rebound, whiffed, and fell. Totally not a flop.

Fuck Stern.