PDA

View Full Version : Kawai so far

skulls138
12-31-2012, 02:50 AM
I think everybody got happy when Kawai first started with the Spurs but where do people see him now? I dont think he's the new savior or part of "the big four". It seems to me that he's great defensively but lacks offensive fire power. His greatest strengths offensively are three point shooting and posterizing people. I would like him to develop something in between those two as well as become a better three point shooter...while staying the same defensively or better and (clear throat) more rebounding but THATS IT!

Interrohater
12-31-2012, 03:15 AM
If I could downvote, I would.

Kawhi.

DapDaGenius
12-31-2012, 03:25 AM
I like Kawhi(obviously). You can't expect Kawhi to do all that we know he can, while playing alongside people like Duncan, Parker and Manu, he has to play his role for now. Kawhi is doing great for what he is doing now, though. After Manu leaves we'll more than likely see Kawhi doing more and more, then when Duncan leaves, we'll definitely see Kawhi doing a lot more.

Don't believe me...Just watch.

slick'81
12-31-2012, 04:40 AM
hes the 4th or 5th option on offense and is just another face in the crowd right now

Russo21
12-31-2012, 05:07 AM
Leonard is averaging 2.2 steals per game. Good for 3rd in the NBA. That's fucken awesome for our 2nd year SF.

But overall improvement? Nothing major. His points per game has gone from 7.9 to 9.7, rebounds 5.1 to 5.5, ast 1.1 to 1.3. Minor increases across the board but nothing dramatic. Obviously the injury has hampered him but i really hope he busts out in the near future. We need him to be better then he is.

Latarian Milton
12-31-2012, 05:51 AM
he's a solid defensive player but i believe he can still improve his game at the defensive end imho. it's not like he's gonna be the 2nd coming of bruce or something but you're gonna need a better defender than what he currently is at SF to cope with durant imho

boutons_deux
12-31-2012, 05:55 AM
hustle, steals, defense, rebounds, pushing the ball up the court are his jobs, not scoring. He's doing great for a sophomore.

Russo21
12-31-2012, 07:13 AM
It'd take someone like freakin Scottie Pippen to stop Durant when he's on his game.

Kawhi's D and overall game are very good. I'd like Kawhi to get to the level of someone like Gerald Wallace in his peak years with better 3PT shooting. Their height, weight and length and talents are eerily similar.

Some years he was a menace.

2006: 15pts, 7.5rpg, 2.5spg, 2.1bpg
2007: 18pts, 7.2rpg, 2.0spg, 1bpg
2010: 18pts, 10.0rpg, 1.5spg, 1.1bpg

That's where i'd love to see Leonard get to. 2nd year Kawhi is already way better then 2nd year Wallace and as good as 4th year Wallace before Gerald went to another level. Let's hope Leonard makes that jump to.

BillMc
12-31-2012, 07:35 AM
hustle, steals, defense, rebounds, pushing the ball up the court are his jobs, not scoring. He's doing great for a sophomore.

This. He's doing everything we ask of him at this point.

DapDaGenius
12-31-2012, 08:38 AM
This. He's doing everything we ask of him at this point.

Exactly.

exstatic
12-31-2012, 09:19 AM
It'd take someone like freakin Scottie Pippen to stop Durant when he's on his game.

Kawhi's D and overall game are very good. I'd like Kawhi to get to the level of someone like Gerald Wallace in his peak years with better 3PT shooting. Their height, weight and length and talents are eerily similar.

Some years he was a menace.

2006: 15pts, 7.5rpg, 2.5spg, 2.1bpg
2007: 18pts, 7.2rpg, 2.0spg, 1bpg
2010: 18pts, 10.0rpg, 1.5spg, 1.1bpg

That's where i'd love to see Leonard get to. 2nd year Kawhi is already way better then 2nd year Wallace and as good as 4th year Wallace before Gerald went to another level. Let's hope Leonard makes that jump to.

The big breakout year for most young players should be year three. Kawhi has barely played enough games for one full 82 game season and some of you are already disappointed? Really?

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-31-2012, 09:36 AM
I'd say that I had pretty high hopes from him this season, and while he hasn't really lived up to my expectations he has been really really good.

SpursIndonesia
12-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Spurs fans expecting Durant out of Kawhi. :lol:

Be grateful MF'er, for a decent talent who's showing good attitude & willingness to be better, that for every Kawhi there's a Royce White. :rolleyes

ThaBigFundamental21
12-31-2012, 12:00 PM
I kinda get the same feeling as you every now and then on Kawhi Leonard. But I don't even think he has played 82 regular season games in his career has he??? Give him a break. He was also injured for a big chunk of this young season. But look at it this way, the only reason we get down when thinking of Leonard is because we want and know how good he is going to be. We have high expectations for a reason. He will be just fine!

KL2
12-31-2012, 06:13 PM
I think he needs more time to develop his game, remember he's just 21 years old (even I forgot just how young he was). He doesn't get many scoring opportunities either, mainly because he's behind the big 3, think of how James Harden exploded after being made the 1st option. I think on a bad team Kawhi could easily average around 15 PPG and 8 rpg as the 1st or 2nd option.

He's a very valuable player and does a lot of things that don't show up on the stat sheet. He's great at playing the passing lanes and is a great help defender as well. Very versatile on defense being able to guard PF's with his solid post D, SF's, SG's and even PG's. He's also a great rebounder, grabbing some very tough boards.

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2012, 06:36 PM
remember his not even 4th option when his playing with the big3, cause danny green is b4 him and takes more shots then him

when his playing with the bench, his probably behind gino/splitter and neal when it comes to shots also...

DesignatedT
12-31-2012, 06:46 PM
I disagree. I think he can be better than Bruce defensively and a top 2 scoring option down the road. Obviously he needs to improve in all areas still but his attitude and work ethic are rumored to be second to none. He will be a star in this league. Have to remember he is only 21 years old.

BackHome
12-31-2012, 07:18 PM
If Kawhi was on a crappy team I would be scarred to see what kinda numbers he would be putting up.

JRHernandez88
12-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Right now hes just playing his role. He's gaining so much experience and learning how to win right now. Win its his time to run some offense I think his numbers are going to increase like crazy.

spursmartyr
12-31-2012, 08:11 PM
I disagree. I think he can be better than Bruce defensively and a top 2 scoring option down the road. Obviously he needs to improve in all areas still but his attitude and work ethic are rumored to be second to none. He will be a star in this league. Have to remember he is only 21 years old.

:nope

skulls138
01-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Kawai is a different defensive player than Bowen. Bowen was a smotherer of their best foward while Kawai floats around more, intercepting passes, getting his mitts on the ball.

timtonymanu
01-01-2013, 02:54 AM
He's still a work in progress, but Leonard definitely has potential.

I actually think he's more well rounded than Bruce. Obviously Bruce will be the better defender, but I expect Leonard's production to increase when Manu/Timmy retire.

racm
01-01-2013, 03:02 AM
Kawai is a different defensive player than Bowen. Bowen was a smotherer of their best foward while Kawai floats around more, intercepting passes, getting his mitts on the ball.

This. Bowen was more like Duncan in terms of defense since he was a maestro of covering his man. Leonard is closer to a Serge Ibaka type of help defender in that he'll make careless ball-handlers pay.

BackHome
01-01-2013, 03:10 AM
You know I hate when people try to compare players...they will never be another Bowen..they will never be another David...another Horry..another...Duncan..etc...........