PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Nets - Dec. 31

timvp
12-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Tim Duncan A-
Dominant defensively in the paint. Strong on offense; variety of moves in the lane. Passing was great early.

Manu Ginobili A
Another outstanding performance. Made numerous plays off the dribble – scoring and passing. D was impressive.

Tony Parker A
Competed commendably on D against Williams. Nearly flawless on offense. Ran the show beautifully.

Kawhi Leonard A-
Extremely efficient offensively. Passing much better than usual. Stout defensively against Johnson.

Danny Green B
Quiet offensively. Didn’t get any looks from deep. On D, he had a few quality possessions against Williams.

Tiago Splitter A-
Very productive in the lane, whether scoring, finding open man or blocking shots. Boarding was lackluster.

Boris Diaw A-
Much better rebounding-wise. D was admirable. A little sloppy with passing but aggressiveness a plus.

Stephen Jackson C-
Didn’t play well ... though to be fair a lot of his statistical ugliness came in garbage time.

Nando De Colo C
Was the backup point guard again and again underwhelmed. Passing was particularly deficient.

Matt Bonner B+
D wasn’t remarkable but he rebounded and was very decisive on offense.

Patrick Mills Inc.
Aggressive in garbage time. Had some positive moments running the show.

DeJuan Blair Inc.
Still can’t run or jump.

Pop A-
Dealt with rare Duncan foul trouble easily. Whatever he said at halftime should be bottled and sold.

Boomersgold
12-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the grades!

Tbh, Matt Bonner probably deserves to be ahead of Jackson on the rotation as of right now. Jackson's playing like someone who had retired, hasn't played in years and is trying to make a comeback. i.e. He looks abysmal out there.

spursmartyr
12-31-2012, 09:45 PM
DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFENSE!

Tony, Manu, Stephen, Timmy... the Nets... Spurs amazing defense... hmm...

well, there's no SARS, Bush or Donald Rumsfeld :( oh well.....

spursmartyr
12-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the grades!

Tbh, Matt Bonner probably deserves to be ahead of Jackson on the rotation as of right now. Jackson's playing like someone who had retired, hasn't played in years and is trying to make a comeback. i.e. He looks abysmal out there.
Disagree 110%; Jack's impact goes well beyond his mediocre regular season shooting. He's excellent on defense and overpowering inside, provides energy and mojoe, and shoots >50% from three in the playoffs. Are you the same kind of guy that thought Bonner should have played instead of Robert Horry in 2007?

Brunodf
12-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Nando De Colo C
Was the backup point guard again and again underwhelmed. Passing was particularly deficient.

It's just me or De Colo looks much better playing the PnR with Splitter...

Pop A-
Dealt with rare Duncan foul trouble easily. Whatever he said at halftime should be bottled and sold

:lol:clap

Boomersgold
12-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Disagree 110%; Jack's impact goes well beyond his mediocre regular season shooting. He's excellent on defense and overpowering inside, provides energy and mojoe, and shoots >50% from three in the playoffs. Are you the same kind of guy that thought Bonner should have played instead of Robert Horry in 2007?

I'm not even a Bonner fan. I just think that Bonner does everything that Jack has displayed the last few games: the mediocre inside defense, occasional rebounding, wide open jump shots, but more efficiently.

Jackson may be the better player, but he hasn't shown it in his last few performances.

HI-FI
12-31-2012, 09:53 PM
thanks for grades since I missed out on most of game. I saw the Kawhi 3 pointer, badass. Those giant hands are like glue.

Juggity
12-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Jack looked totally out of sync

Hoops Czar
12-31-2012, 10:10 PM
I disagree wholeheartedly with S-jax's grade. You have to look past his 1-6 shooting and fourth quarter TO's and look into his heart. It's his determination, backbone, decisiveness, fortitude, grit, iron will, persistence, pluck, purposefulness, will power, ferociousness, fearlessness, hardihood, tenacity, constancy, gutsiness, grit (oops, I used that one twice), certitude, heart and singlemindness that makes S-jax stand out. The little things that don't show up in the box score is what makes his contributions invaluable.

BackHome
12-31-2012, 10:14 PM

I agree I like Jack being the leader of the second team he gets them ready to play good defense and gets them to play with an attitude which I think people like Bonner and Splitter need

Capt Bringdown
12-31-2012, 10:15 PM
I disagree wholeheartedly with S-jax's grade. You have to look past his 1-6 shooting and fourth quarter TO's and look into his heart. It's his determination, backbone, decisiveness, fortitude, grit, iron will, persistence, pluck, purposefulness, will power, ferociousness, fearlessness, hardihood, tenacity, constancy, gutsiness, grit (oops, I used that one twice), certitude, heart and singlemindness that makes S-jax stand out. The little things that don't show up in the box score is what makes his contributions invaluable.

Little things like standing straight up on D, playing sloppy and looking disinterested is more like it. He's capable of much better, obviously.

freetiago
12-31-2012, 10:19 PM
blue font missing ^

and ginobilis D was terrible
he gambled way too much individually and his team defense was kobe-esque tonight
he had 3 failed gambles which led to 3 brooklyn 3s
they only had like 40-50 points at that point in the game and he was directly responsible for 9 of them
not like this is a once every while thing either
does it every game and he just cant do it anymore without his speed/athleticism
should just stick to playing solid fundamental defense

spurraider21
12-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Jax has been in a funk. How does you get a player out of a funk? Letting him ride the pine? No and no. How does a bad shooter get out of a slump? Shoot.
Jax is a better player than Bonner and thus is ahead of Bonner in the rotation.

TheSkeptic
12-31-2012, 10:37 PM
I agree I like Jack being the leader of the second team he gets them ready to play good defense and gets them to play with an attitude which I think people like Bonner and Splitter need

Who cares about Bonner's attitude? It's not like he's going to be playing.

Thanks Timvp. Only thing I have to say is that De Colo was disappointing this game. He obviously shouldn't get extended minutes over TP or Manu or Neal, but maybe Pop needs to have NDC on the court with Splitter for now to get the most out of him. Patty's still better off being a change of pace kind of a guard and I really don't want him as a backup pg in the POs...or the regular season for that matter.

TDMVPDPOY
12-31-2012, 10:39 PM
jax when his playin with bench fillers...he tends to take it upon himself to jack up alot of shots, usually bad selections also

when his playin with the starters...he tends to sit back and take shots whatever the offense gives him...

blame pop for playin certain players with bench scrubs who dont overlap skill sets for the system he wants out there

JonNOKC
12-31-2012, 10:55 PM
I didn't think DeColo was too bad but totally agree with Brunodf Splitter or Duncan has to be on the court when DColo is playing PG - I think Neal can work as backup PG IF Pop follows the same playbook he did with Mills the previos two games - Let Neal be TPs primary backup BUT let Manu carry the majority of ball handling duties - then its just a matter of Neal playing good enough defense to not offset what he brings offensively - while the Spurs have three nice players in Mills, Neal, and DeColo none is really a complete backup PG. Looking to add a big should be FO's #1 priority but I think the Spurs may want to to explore backup PG possibilities in case the right player came available

racm
12-31-2012, 11:06 PM
I think of it this way:

Mills is better when the Spurs play a fast paced team like Houston or Dallas because of his quickness. De Colo is a better backup in the half court setting.

It all depends on the matchups.

Sean Cagney
12-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Jax has been in a funk. How does you get a player out of a funk? Letting him ride the pine? No and no. How does a bad shooter get out of a slump? Shoot.

AGREED, Bonner sucks and we know what we have and what he will do later with BONNER. I am done even talking about that bum.

racm
12-31-2012, 11:15 PM
AGREED, Bonner sucks and we know what we have and what he will do later with BONNER. I am done even talking about that bum.

You know Brooklyn's bigs are BAD when they let Bonner cut to the basket and hold them to 0 points for a considerable stretch. :lmao

Sean Cagney
12-31-2012, 11:26 PM
You know Brooklyn's bigs are BAD when they let Bonner cut to the basket and hold them to 0 points for a considerable stretch. :lmao
LOL.......

playblair
12-31-2012, 11:38 PM
when will cojo get a shot at being the back up pg ...... cojo is a complete true pg ......

Paranoid Pop
12-31-2012, 11:45 PM
blue font missing ^

and ginobilis D was terrible
he gambled way too much individually and his team defense was kobe-esque tonight
he had 3 failed gambles which led to 3 brooklyn 3s
they only had like 40-50 points at that point in the game and he was directly responsible for 9 of them
not like this is a once every while thing either
does it every game and he just cant do it anymore without his speed/athleticism
should just stick to playing solid fundamental defense

He also opened up the lane for Humphries at some point, def not a great outing on D for him.

Strategic
12-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Bonner's a 1.2 million per year mop up man(making 3.6) that can play the 3,4 and 5 position on offense and the 4 and 5 on D, though somewhat lacking. I realize most are tired of looking at the guy but I don't mind him near as much now that he's not affecting the outcome of games. Hopefully PATFO will get his pay right or get him out of here.

:deadhorse

racm
12-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Bonner's a 1.2 million per year mop up man(making 3.6) that can play the 3,4 and 5 position on offense and the 4 and 5 on D, though somewhat lacking. I realize most are tired of looking at the guy but I don't mind him near as much now that he's not affecting the outcome of games. Hopefully PATFO will get his pay right or get him out of here.

:deadhorse

He might be the Spurs' best option on ZBo. ;)

ElNono
01-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Thanks LJ.

letmk
01-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Like many of posters said, I don't like Manu's KB-like gambling. It may go to ESPN highlight if he succeeds, but generally it is BAD defense.

Also like others said, not considering the history, Jack is playing THAT bad. When he is bad, you have to point it out. You can't sugarcoat it just because he is Jack. Whether he can restore to his old-self is another story. We all wish for that, but as of now, it's not a good sign. And what's puzzling of the whole thing is that unlike Kawhi he only has finger injury, yet he looks very out of shape.

Brazil
01-01-2013, 01:11 AM
Happy new year folks ! I drunk too many caipirinhas fortunately I found a cab to drive me home with the kids. I'll have to take a cab tomorrow for picking up my car :lol

TrainOfThought5
01-01-2013, 02:46 AM
Fuck Bonner. Thank God for Sjax. anyone who thinks differently is a heretic, not a fan of Spurs in the postseason, and deserves to burn at the stake.

when will cojo get a shot at being the back up pg ...... cojo is a complete true pg ......

Hes a walking triple double!!! ................................ in the D league.

He'll be good next year tho if he continues his recent improvements.

Dr. Robert Lee
01-01-2013, 03:12 AM
Neal gets an A+ for being injured.

Jax gets an A+ for simply being out on the court. We all know he'll finally get back to being his old self in another decade.

DrSteffo
01-01-2013, 06:59 AM
This starting lineup is great and gives us some hope for the POs. I wish we could get a better 4th big and a better backup pg. I feel sorry for Blair since it seems he cannot play anyomore.

racm
01-01-2013, 07:30 AM
This starting lineup is great and gives us some hope for the POs. I wish we could get a better 4th big and a better backup pg. I feel sorry for Blair since it seems he cannot play anyomore.

Probably the best starting frontcourt since Bowen/Duncan/Oberto, tbh.

Bruno
01-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Yep, this starting lineup has been crazy good. In 73:25 minutes, they have scored 160 points and allowed 110 points.
Per 48 minutes, it's 104.6 points scored and 71.9 points allowed. This lineup is awfully dominant defensively.

The Bonner/Diaw frontcourt doesn't work. Spurs should add a third string center that will play when one of Duncan and Splitter is in foul trouble.

racm
01-01-2013, 07:47 AM
Yep, this starting lineup has been crazy good. In 73:25 minutes, they have scored 160 points and allowed 110 points.
Per 48 minutes, it's 104.6 points scored and 71.9 points allowed. This lineup is awfully dominant defensively.

The Bonner/Diaw frontcourt doesn't work. Spurs should add a third string center that will play when one of Duncan and Splitter is in foul trouble.

To be fair, any frontline that does not feature Duncan or Splitter blows. A fourth big who's not named Blair or Bonner would do well.

Bruno
01-01-2013, 08:00 AM
To be fair, any frontline that does not feature Duncan or Splitter blows. A fourth big who's not named Blair or Bonner would do well.

I wouldn't necessarily say Spurs need a better 4th big than Bonner and Blair. Their bigmen rotation of Duncan/Splitter/Diaw with some Kawhi/Jack at PF, is fine. They just need to add a center that will play 10 minutes every 5 games when Splitter or Duncan are in foul troubles.

racm
01-01-2013, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say Spurs need a better 4th big than Bonner and Blair. Their bigmen rotation of Duncan/Splitter/Diaw with some Kawhi/Jack at PF, is fine. They just need to add a center that will play 10 minutes every 5 games when Splitter or Duncan are in foul troubles.

Like a Fesenko or the like?

Bruno
01-01-2013, 08:11 AM

Yep, I'm not asking for more. Spurs could even try a D-League player like Jerome Jordan with a 10 days contract.

exstatic
01-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Jax is Horry. He has yet to play a game in 2013, when they will matter. He's like the "in case of emergency, break glass" player for this team. You play him enough to stay in game shape, and ride him if he gets hot.

exstatic
01-01-2013, 08:17 AM

Apparently not.

Strategic
01-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Or maybe someone 6'8" or 6'9" (not 6'6") that can help guard the high post pick and roll in the playoffs. Actually, OKC is the only team capable of running that down our throats but without any answer I fear the same result as last year.

racm
01-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Or maybe someone 6'8" or 6'9" (not 6'6") that can help guard the high post pick and roll in the playoffs. Actually, OKC is the only team capable of running that down our throats but without any answer I fear the same result as last year.

The Spurs probably should focus on the fact that the Thunder beats them by being talented at making bad shots. The Spurs defense is typically a containing one where they stop points in the paint and shots from beyond the arc, but falters in the intermediate area. Unfortunately OKC has great midrange shooters in Durant and Abaka.

Ginobili and Leonard being absent in the last game against OKC didn't help either; both are the perimeter players Pop has given a green light to disrupt instead of contain and funnel, since they're the best ball hawks on this team.

And for the love of all that is great Green should not guard small forwards, or shooting guards built like small forwards.

maverick1948
01-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Jax is Horry. He has yet to play a game in 2013, when they will matter. He's like the "in case of emergency, break glass" player for this team. You play him enough to stay in game shape, and ride him if he gets hot.

I am sorry to inform you that Stephen Jackson is not Robert Horry nor is he even on the same level of play as Horry. SJax has not done anything close to what Horry did.

2011-12 playoffs Bonner plays Spurs 10-1. Bonner sits in favor of SJax 0-3. You explain it.

Ice009
01-01-2013, 12:30 PM
I am sorry to inform you that Stephen Jackson is not Robert Horry nor is he even on the same level of play as Horry. SJax has not done anything close to what Horry did.

2011-12 playoffs Bonner plays Spurs 10-1. Bonner sits in favor of SJax 0-3. You explain it.

What a horrible take. Could you not see the fear on Bonner's face? He had open looks, but was shit scared to shoot it against OKC. He kept screwing up the offense by not taking the open shots. Pop had no choice but to bench him.

And Stephen might not be Robert Horry, but have you followed him at all? He has come up big in the playoffs for almost every team that he has played for.

DMC
01-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Pressure. Bonner folds, Jax rises.

ace3g
01-01-2013, 01:27 PM

Yep, I'm not asking for more. Spurs could even try a D-League player like Jerome Jordan with a 10 days contract.

Fesenko Close To Signing In Ukraine

Leaving his immediate NBA future in doubt, free agent center Kyrylo Fesenko is finalizing a contract agreement with Ukrainian club BC Donetsk, league sources told RealGM.

Fesenko’s agent, David Carro, confirmed the deal is close to being signed for Fesenko to end his NBA training to play in Ukraine.

Fesenko had been working out in Colorado for months and held out hope that he would return to the NBA at some point this season after training camp with the Chicago Bulls. He also worked out for the Atlanta Hawks in late October.

Fesenko, 26, recently returned to his native Ukraine. He has averaged 2.3 points and two rebounds over his five-year NBA career with the Utah Jazz and Indiana Pacers.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225331/Fesenko_Close_To_Signing_In_Ukraine

therealtruth
01-01-2013, 01:41 PM
You would expect to see the blocks and rebounds go up with the Tiago/Tim frontcourt.

Dr. Robert Lee
01-01-2013, 01:50 PM
LOL at Jax being Robert Horry. :lmao

Where do you all even get this BS from? What makes you think such a thing?

Seventyniner
01-01-2013, 03:10 PM
LOL at Jax being Robert Horry. :lmao

Where do you all even get this BS from? What makes you think such a thing?

Trying to find excuses for Jackson's struggles in the regular season tbh.

Sean Cagney
01-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Apparently not.

He who not be named part 2.

spurraider21
01-01-2013, 03:24 PM

spurs 0-3 when jax played in favor of bonner? like game 1 vs okc when jax frustrated durant and was guarding him most of the 4th and the spurs won?

and yeah, blame jax going 6-6 from three point land in game 6 when the spurs lost

superbigtime
01-01-2013, 08:26 PM
No way in hell de Colo gets a passing grade. He stunk it up.