PDA

View Full Version : Perkins

swaggerjackson
01-02-2013, 11:19 AM
I know OKC would never trade with us, but that is not what I am asking about. I keep reading that OKC is unhappy with Perk and looking to deal him. Personally I think this is bullshit and coming from fans who don't understand his importance to the team, but then again I have not watched the Thunder too much this season. I think is a fantastic big to have on a reasonable contract. He does not provide much on offense but he is sure nice to have to put against Dwight, Tim, Marc Gasol, etc.

My question is, do you guys truly think he is anyway on the block and if so why? here are just a couple articles that mention it (I know the first one is bleacher report)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1403714-why-the-next-okc-thunder-trade-must-deal-kendrick-perkins-for-a-real-center

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/kendrick-perkins/

Paranoid Pop
01-02-2013, 11:22 AM
OKC has a lot more trade assets than any or at least most other contenders. They have Toronto's first round pick plus their two rookies but they are in 'win now' mode now, they don't have time to develop them.

Their weakest link in the starting unit is Perkins and the lack of post scoring option.

So yeah OKC is bound to make a move at some point, seems logical.

Mel_13
01-02-2013, 11:23 AM
They chose Perkins over Harden. Seems unlikely that they would trade him now.

cd021
01-03-2013, 10:07 PM
They chose Perkins over Harden. Seems unlikely that they would trade him now.

Thats not really true. Perkins signed a contract extension in 2010. Westbrook signed a 5 year deal in 2011 (OKC used their 2nd 5 year deal on him) Harden was only able to get a four year deal and didn't want to resign with less money per year and less years. Traded to Houston where he signed his 5 year deal.

Richie
01-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Thunder have a lot of assets, they could make a big time trade for a legit big.

For example, a package of Perk + 3 1st rounders (Tor, Hou, Okc) + PJ3 + Lamb could be enough to get someone of real quality like Aldridge, the question would be if the Thunder would be willing to pay the tax which they weren't for Harden.

I don't see how we have anything the Thunder would want in a trade for us to take Perkins, I'm sure plenty of teams would take him.

Libri
01-03-2013, 10:31 PM
If OKC is looking to upgrade the center position, then Varejao may be a realistic option.

Mel_13
01-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Thats not really true. Perkins signed a contract extension in 2010. Westbrook signed a 5 year deal in 2011 (OKC used their 2nd 5 year deal on him) Harden was only able to get a four year deal and didn't want to resign with less money per year and less years. Traded to Houston where he signed his 5 year deal.

Harden would have signed for 4yrs/60M. OKC lowballed him at 4yrs/54M, gave him an ultimatum and traded him when he wouldn't blink. They could have kept Harden if they were willing to trade or amnesty Perkins. They weren't.

sananspursfan21
01-06-2013, 01:35 AM
If OKC is looking to upgrade the center position, then Varejao may be a realistic option.

but does that really answer their post scoring threat problem? varejao is not a good post up player

Chinook
01-06-2013, 02:31 AM
Maybe Perk could go back to Boston:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bbrbxcb

Boston would get Perkins for a decent price while staying under the apron.

Utah would get their young point guard in Reggie Jackson (or Eric Maynor), a big prospect in Sullinger and still keep most of their cap room by taking Martin's expiring. They also don't have to worry about choosing between Jefferson and Millsap anymore.

OKC would get the post threat they need in Al Jefferson, plus a cheaper bench shooting-guard in Terry who's a known playoff performer and whom they don't have to try to get to agree to a long-term deal in the off=season. So long as Durant and Ibaka can play good help defense, OKC should be able to cover up Jefferson's mistakes.

Surprisingly, this seems like a reasonable deal for everyone.

callo1
01-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Most overrated big in the league

cd021
01-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Harden would have signed for 4yrs/60M. OKC lowballed him at 4yrs/54M, gave him an ultimatum and traded him when he wouldn't blink. They could have kept Harden if they were willing to trade or amnesty Perkins. They weren't.

I seriously doubt that he didn't return of $6 million dollars when he signed a bigger deal with the Rockets. I think he wanted to be traded so he could sign a 5 year deal.

Mel_13
01-07-2013, 09:56 AM
I seriously doubt that he didn't return of $6 million dollars when he signed a bigger deal with the Rockets. I think he wanted to be traded so he could sign a 5 year deal.

There's nothing to debate. The sequence of events is well documented. Harden just wanted the Thunder to offer the most they were allowed to offer him this past summer. The Thunder tried to get him at a discount to a discount. When he wouldn't take their lowball offer, they traded him.

td4mvp2k
01-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Perkins is what the Spurs need but not at his $ and the injurys.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-08-2013, 03:24 PM
There's nothing to debate. The sequence of events is well documented. Harden just wanted the Thunder to offer the most they were allowed to offer him this past summer. The Thunder tried to get him at a discount to a discount. When he wouldn't take their lowball offer, they traded him.

Isn't it baffling how they chose Perkins over Harden? Makes 0 sense to me

spurraider21
01-08-2013, 04:04 PM
If they flip Perkins plus assets for a post scorer it's scary. Aldridge plays outside though and is a bit redundant with ibaka and his midrange game. Al is a better low post guy than lma

Ice009
01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
If they flip Perkins plus assets for a post scorer it's scary. Aldridge plays outside though and is a bit redundant with ibaka and his midrange game. Al is a better low post guy than lma

Yeah, Aldridge likes playing on the perimeter. Does he even have much of a post game?

spurraider21
01-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Yeah, Aldridge likes playing on the perimeter. Does he even have much of a post game?
Yeah, a shorter turnaround J lol. I think overall LMA > Al because LMA can actually drive to the hoop when he faces up, is more athletic (gets way more lobs than people realize) and runs the floor better (both for O and D) but Al is a better fit for OKC due to girth and better low post ability

Richie
01-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Not sure why the Celtics want Perkins back, there are no low post threats in the east for him to defend. No way he alone is worth Terry + Sullinger, especially with the likelihood of OKC just dumping him at some point anyway to avoid the luxury tax anyway, but that all depends on how much K Mart wants.

Richie
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM

True, but if they were going to sign a player to a big contract (like Aldridge will deserve) then why not give Harden that size contract? Their unwillingness to go in to the tax makes me think they won't be making a move for a top quality scoring big man.

spurraider21
01-08-2013, 05:40 PM
True, but if they were going to sign a player to a big contract (like Aldridge will deserve) then why not give Harden that size contract? Their unwillingness to go in to the tax makes me think they won't be making a move for a top quality scoring big man.
Good point. In the end OKC is more like us than the Lakers. But its still scary considering all those picks they have

Richie
01-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Good point. In the end OKC is more like us than the Lakers. But its still scary considering all those picks they have

Agreed, they should really be trading for lottery picks and hope to get a guy cheap for 4 years.

In fact, one of the main reasons I think we have done so well compares to the Thunder struggling to keep their players is because Manu and Parker were drafted into a championship team with the MVP, which made it clear that Duncan was the man and asking to be paid the max along with Duncan would be silly, whereas Westbrook and Harden came in before Durant became a superstar and so they consider themselves much closer in value to him, when they aren't.

spurraider21
01-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Agreed, they should really be trading for lottery picks and hope to get a guy cheap for 4 years.

In fact, one of the main reasons I think we have done so well compares to the Thunder struggling to keep their players is because Manu and Parker were drafted into a championship team with the MVP, which made it clear that Duncan was the man and asking to be paid the max along with Duncan would be silly, whereas Westbrook and Harden came in before Durant became a superstar and so they consider themselves much closer in value to him, when they aren't.
Although I think Harden this season is starting to prove that he is indeed a max contract player

therealtruth
01-08-2013, 08:26 PM

OKC was acting on principle. They told Harden that KD and Westbrook at each sacrificed something at the negotiationg table even though they didn't have to and were trying to convince Harden to do the same.

Mel_13
01-08-2013, 09:05 PM
OKC was acting on principle. They told Harden that KD and Westbrook at each sacrificed something at the negotiationg table even though they didn't have to and were trying to convince Harden to do the same.

Not the real truth.