PDA

View Full Version : Whats with the back 2 backs?

skulls138
01-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Am I going mad or is this seriously unprecedented...by alot?

Budkin
01-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Just Stern making sure the Spurs are nice and worn down.

Chinook
01-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Am I going mad or is this seriously unprecedented...by alot?

If you mean having two back-to-backs separated by one day off, that has happened plenty of times before. They call it a "four games in five nights." The Spurs have had a few already this season.

If you mean the schedule in general, that has happened, too, but having so many games so quickly is something that many fans and people around the team have lambasted this year.

capek
01-02-2013, 06:23 PM
I haven't looked at this year's schedule to see how b2b's are distributed over the course of the year, but I've also had the impression that there have been a fuckton of b2b's so far, and I assume it just means that we won't have very many in the second half of the season.

Basically we're getting them out of the way early, and the schedule should be less crazy in the Spring.

timvp
01-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah, there has been an exorbitant amount to date but it will even out. There is only one back-to-back in March. In fact, there's only two b2bs in February.

eric365
01-02-2013, 07:00 PM
"Leading the way are nine teams with a robust 22 back-to-back situations. Those teams are the Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets, Charlotte Bobcats, Cleveland Cavaliers, Indiana Pacers, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves and Philadelphia 76ers.
On the other hand, the Orlando Magic play just 13 back-to-backs and the Oklahoma City Thunder play just 14. The Mavericks, Lakers and HEAT all play 16 back-to-backs."
http://www.hoopsworld.com/dissecting-the-2012-13-nba-schedule/

Spurs had 8 B2B so far and have 8 left

The worst remaining stretch is:
March 31 vs Miami
April 1 @ Memphis
April 3 vs Orlando
April 4 @ Oklahoma City on TNT

Will pop rest the whole big 3 on a TNT game again? It will be the end of the regular season

Bruno
01-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Spurs rough schedule stretch has been usually in March. This year it was in the first and half month. I like more a schedule where the rough part is at the start of the season: it will allow Spurs to be more rested for the playoffs.

FromWayDowntown
01-02-2013, 07:15 PM
The worst remaining stretch is:
March 31 vs Miami
April 1 @ Memphis
April 3 vs Orlando
April 4 @ Oklahoma City on TNT

Will pop rest the whole big 3 on a TNT game again? It will be the end of the regular season

After tomorrow night, that's their only remaining 4-in-5 set.

By the way, if you wanted to be really conspiratorial, you might make something of the fact that every single one of the Spurs' games with the Thunder this year is part of a Spurs back-to-back. The home opener was the second night of a back-to-back; the 4/4/13 game in OKC is the same. The first game in OKC was the first game of a back-to-back that ended in Denver, and the March 11 game in SA is the first game of a back-to-back with a game the next night in Minnesota.

If you really wanted to be conspiratorial, you might observe that in the games where OKC is the second night of a back-to-back for the Spurs, the Thunder enter those games with substantial rest -- the Spurs home opener was the Thunder's first game of the season; the Thunder's last game before the 4/4 meeting is a March 30 game in Milwaukee.

I think the schedule just works out that way sometimes -- the Thunder will be on the second night of a back-to-back when they come to SA in March, and were playing (or will be playing) the first game of back-to-backs in November and April.

CGD
01-02-2013, 07:15 PM
It's not so much the back to back as much as the 4 in 5s and the 6 in 9s. Lots of games under the belt for this time of year, it feels like anyway. We have played 5 more games than the division rival memphis for example. But it evens out I guess.

Strategic
01-02-2013, 07:30 PM
This seems rough, but as long the the Spurs get through it without major injuries it will pay off. In March and April when the other contenders are running their asses ragged the Good Guys will at least be staying at the house.

Reck
01-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Check Spurs March Schedule.

Can you say coasting?

Obstructed_View
01-02-2013, 08:19 PM
ESPN mentioned that after a 17 game winning streak, the Clips are only a half a game ahead of OKC. They also mentioned that the Nuggets are going to be much better than their current record because they've spent so much time on the road. Both of those factoids apply to the Spurs, as they're only a half a game back of LA and have played the same number of road games as Denver. If it were ever set up for the Spurs to go into the postseason healthy, fresh and with home court, it's this year.

phxspurfan
01-02-2013, 08:45 PM
jinx

Russo21
01-02-2013, 09:02 PM
It's kinda like the guys who did the schedule were still in lockout season mode. So many back to backs, 4 games in 5 nights etc. was totally unnecessary. The stupid schedule cost us 'substantial sanctions' and $250,000 already. Stupid schedule, this isn't a lockout season were they try to cram as many games in as possible.

Strategic
01-02-2013, 10:34 PM
ESPN mentioned that after a 17 game winning streak, the Clips are only a half a game ahead of OKC. They also mentioned that the Nuggets are going to be much better than their current record because they've spent so much time on the road. Both of those factoids apply to the Spurs, as they're only a half a game back of LA and have played the same number of road games as Denver. If it were ever set up for the Spurs to go into the postseason healthy, fresh and with home court, it's this year.

When today started the Nugs had played 4 more road games than the Good Guys. I agree that these excessive number of road games early in the season will help the Spurs late in the year.

Obstructed_View
01-02-2013, 10:38 PM
When today started the Nugs had played 4 more road games than the Good Guys. I agree that these excessive number of road games early in the season will help the Spurs late in the year.

Thanks for the correction. Either ESPN had the wrong numbers earlier today or my math is REALLY bad. :lol

You're right. A relatively easy schedule with the RRT to keep them sharp should be perfect.

racm
01-02-2013, 11:09 PM

And this means that after the Clips' loss last night the Spurs now lead the league in SRS.

Sean Cagney
01-03-2013, 02:18 AM
Yeah, there has been an exorbitant amount to date but it will even out. There is only one back-to-back in March. In fact, there's only two b2bs in February.

YEP the dirty bum COMMISH tried to make sure the Spurs were out early and often! They are what 26-8 though with the kitchen sink thrown at them? NICE try BUM, it will even out and the Spurs will win more.

Sean Cagney
01-03-2013, 02:22 AM
It's kinda like the guys who did the schedule were still in lockout season mode. So many back to backs, 4 games in 5 nights etc. was totally unnecessary. The stupid schedule cost us 'substantial sanctions' and $250,000 already. Stupid schedule, this isn't a lockout season were they try to cram as many games in as possible.

They try to set you up to fail if you are the Spurs not a media darling! If it were the Heat they would not let it happen, Gaykers nope.

spurs1990
01-03-2013, 02:49 AM
Also strange that this Knicks game is on the Thursday TNT time slot, only that its not being televised by TNT...or any other game.

Yet only 2 games are scheduled.

Seriously what is the NBA trying to pull?

Kidd K
01-03-2013, 02:53 AM
YEP the dirty bum COMMISH tried to make sure the Spurs were out early and often! They are what 26-8 though with the kitchen sink thrown at them? NICE try BUM, it will even out and the Spurs will win more.

Yup. Stern fails again!

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/8638/sternpop.gif

spurraider21
01-03-2013, 02:56 AM
clips went on a 17 game win streak, during which we had a stretch where we lost 4 of 5... and as of tonight we stand better than them :lol

Strategic
01-03-2013, 04:20 AM
Also strange that this Knicks game is on the Thursday TNT time slot, only that its not being televised by TNT...or any other game.

Yet only 2 games are scheduled.

Seriously what is the NBA trying to pull?

Maybe TNT suits feared getting "Popsicled" again? But then again, the Spurs bench almost laid it to the Heat and the Knicks aren't nearly as good.

racm
01-03-2013, 05:00 AM
Maybe TNT suits feared getting "Popsicled" again? But then again, the Spurs bench almost laid it to the Heat and the Knicks aren't nearly as good.

It's the week of the New Year too.

Strategic
01-03-2013, 05:03 AM
It's the week of the New Year too.Yeah maybe a college football game planned.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-03-2013, 05:06 AM

Very true. The Nuggests have been on the road even more than the Spurs, they've played 2/3 of their games away from home. There a few teams like that in the league, though not to this extreme, the Spurs including. It's interesting to note that there are only 5 teams in the entire NBA with .500 or sub .500 record at home. This makes road wins very valuable.

therealtruth
01-03-2013, 09:24 AM
As we've seen the past few seasons homecourt won't mean much in the playoffs. Improving the defense and not allowing easy baskets will mean more. The Spurs have to be more consistent defensively.

Darkwaters
01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Check Spurs March Schedule.

Can you say coasting?

Whoa, two road games the whole month? Tons of rest. Awesome.

Ice009
01-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Spurs rough schedule stretch has been usually in March. This year it was in the first and half month. I like more a schedule where the rough part is at the end of the season: it will allow Spurs to be more rested for the playoffs.

You want the rough part at the end of the season? Don't you mean the opposite? How would they be more rested with a tougher schedule to finish the season?

Bruno
01-03-2013, 11:19 AM
You want the rough part at the end of the season? Don't you mean the opposite? How would they be more rested with a tougher schedule to finish the season?

My bad, I meant I like if more when the difficult part of the schedule is early in the season like this year.

TampaDude
01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Yeah maybe a college football game planned.

Yup...The Fiesta Bowl is tonight.

td4mvp21
01-03-2013, 12:39 PM

That should depend on seeding - and not just if the first seed is at stake. Pop should consider first round matchups, too.

But it would be really funny if he rested the Big 3 that game. Stern would be pissed.