PDA

View Full Version : Cavs: Anyone think Cleveland overplayed their hand with Varejao?

Chinook
01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
He was playing out of his mind early this season, and the Cavs claimed they would only move him for a superstar. Now his stats are trending downward (still averaging a double-double, though), and he's about to rack up his seventh DNP/Injury. He seems to be returning to the Varejao we've seen over the years.

The Gilbert wait too long and let Varejao regress to the mean, or was it smart for Cleveland to sit on him until now? What sort of package can they realistically expect for him now, and how will his trade value change as we get closer to the deadline?

DPG21920
01-02-2013, 06:02 PM
They might not have had any offer. I can't imagine if they had a solid one (even if not for a superstar) that they would have pulled the trigger since they are going no where and he is aging/injury prone. Him saying that makes sense, but I highly doubt he turned down any trade offer that was remotely decent (cap space, picks solid young player..)

Paranoid Pop
01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Well they want so much for him that they will probably end up keeping him. It's hard to say if they made a bad move when we don't know the offers they got for him... Imo selling below market value is the worst move no matter what, especially a good contract liks that.

I read that they asked Ibaka to deal him to the Thunder... Doesn't seem that outrageous to me...

DMC
01-02-2013, 06:20 PM
He's going to have his own "The Decision" but this one on local public television.

DPG21920
01-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Asking for Ibaka is outrageous. If that is true, no wonder he's sitting in CLE still while Lebron has a rang.

irishock
01-02-2013, 06:22 PM
He's going to have his own "The Decision" but this one on local public television.

Some shitty internet stream at 50 kbps honestly

Brunodf
01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Good player, but can't stay healthy

Chinook
01-02-2013, 08:32 PM
He's obviously what the Celtics need on paper. If they can find a taker for Lee, then he seems like a risk they have to take.

Latarian Milton
01-02-2013, 09:12 PM
they shouldn't expect anything more than a pack of expiring shits and some picks from late 1st round to 2nd round. varejao is a solid role player and they've apparently overestimated his value imho. his stats look good but he's at best an above average 1on1 defender and you can't expect him to make any similar impact TC made tbh

Chinook
01-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Bump.

With Varejao out until after the trade deadline, it's looking like Cleveland missed their chance this year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8828221/anderson-varejao-cleveland-cavaliers-undergo-surgery-leg

Ghazi
01-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Future is bright with kyrie though. Forecasts are he will be a top 5 player in 2-3 years

JoeTait75
01-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Eh. They were never going to get anything to justify moving him, imo. He's only valuable to a contender and it stands to reason a contender won't have much to offer in the way of draft picks. Basically they'd be trading him for the next Shannon Brown or J.J. Hickson.

I'd just as soon hang on to him.

Captivus
01-10-2013, 09:12 AM
With todays paper they should have trade him. IMO.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-10-2013, 09:21 AM
The Trade Machine says that Varejao/Walton for Dwight Howard works.

Chinook
01-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Eh. They were never going to get anything to justify moving him, imo. He's only valuable to a contender and it stands to reason a contender won't have much to offer in the way of draft picks. Basically they'd be trading him for the next Shannon Brown or J.J. Hickson.

I'd just as soon hang on to him.

It was rumored that the Wolves were willing to offer Pekovic and Williams. To me, that would have been a great haul. With the way Varejao gets injured, getting another Hickson would probably be an upgrade. J.J. has been beasting in Portland.