PDA

View Full Version : Knicks: Stoudemire blames D'Antoni for not being taught defense

irishock
01-02-2013, 10:37 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225357/Stoudemire_Has_Never_Been_Taught_Defense_In_Whole_ Career

Amar'e Stoudemire indirectly criticized Mike D'Antoni while praising current head coach Mike Woodson.

"I think having a defensive coach for the first time in my career is going to help,'' Stoudemire said after practice in Greenburgh on Wednesday. "I've never been taught defense in my whole career. So to now have a coach who actually teaches defense and teaches strategies and knows positioning and posture and how to guard different plays, it's going to be helpful.''

Stoudemire vowed to improve his defense in his new bench capacity.

"I'm taking it as a challenge,'' he said. "I'm going to accept the challenge. And I'm going to try to improve as a player."

:lmao LA head coach

SpursIndonesia
01-02-2013, 10:42 PM
But it's SHOWTIME that's important, right ? :lol

BUMP
01-02-2013, 10:48 PM
:lmao needing to be "taught" defense at his age

JRHernandez88
01-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Lmfao what a clown

NRHector
01-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Now that his offense is declining he's going to have to play a better defense to get some playing time

irishock
01-02-2013, 11:01 PM
He's more worthless than Kurt Thomas, Marcus Camby and Rasheed Wallace lmao

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-02-2013, 11:06 PM
That excuse dried up after 2008, and the fact he decided to sign with a team coached by D'antoni in 2010 makes that excuse look questionable regardless.

Also, he was fuckin horrible at it, but Terry Porter was a defense first coach, and Amare was on board with the team mutiny to get him fired. Amare's heart is in the right place when he says these things, he's just so amazingly stupid and narcissistic he can't help himself from continuously making excuses.

Reck
01-02-2013, 11:06 PM

Exactly, wtf..

BUMP
01-02-2013, 11:08 PM
You can't really "teach" NBA players anything when they're getting paid millions. Do you think they really care at all? Det's why NBA "head coach" is one of the most overrated jobs in America.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-02-2013, 11:10 PM
This also isn't even close to the first time Amare blamed D'antoni for his bad D so idk why it's newsworthy.

Spursfan092120
01-03-2013, 01:06 AM
This...if that sumbitch paid attention in Middle School and High School he would have known how to play defense. :lol blaming his NBA head coach that he didn't learn one of the most basic parts of the game.

Mori Chu
01-03-2013, 02:28 AM
In his early days in Phoenix, he tried a lot harder on defense. But he was also a huge malcontent with the refs; he would bark at the official every time he disagreed with a call / no-call. Pretty quickly the refs grew to hate him and started blowing the whistle on him for ticky-tack fouls just to give him the finger. So Amare found that if he played hard defense, he'd pick up 2-3 quick fouls in the first half and had to sit down on the bench.

Amare chose to stop playing D to avoid fouls, rather than stopping barking at the refs and learning to play careful defense without fouling. He has continued this for years, and the current Amare is the product of such degeneration. Pity; he could have been a good defender, but he chose not to be. Mike _'Antoni certainly didn't help, but they had defensive assistants, including big-men coaches, who certainly tried their best to instill defensive principles in the guy. It is not all on any one coach.

Spur-Addict
01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_154/1181214291CAK045.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fM1WFj43dKk/UMbD66WBHTI/AAAAAAAAAgw/pSFeE8U705k/s1600/whitetail_buck.jpg

BlackSwordsMan
01-03-2013, 11:50 AM
He should join the spurs -- they gave up defense a long time ago

thunderfan
01-03-2013, 01:43 PM
You can't really "teach" NBA players anything when they're getting paid millions. Do you think they really care at all? Det's why NBA "head coach" is one of the most overrated jobs in America.

Arrogant, retarded veterans - maybe not. Certain players do care and are teachable though. Look at Serge Ibaka today compared to 4 years ago -astonishing. You think noone taught him anything? Dude works tirelessly with coaches.

whitemamba
01-03-2013, 01:44 PM

this. its rare that you find a player i think that actually wants to learn.. those tend to be the better players.

baseline bum
01-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Wasn't Amare considered a big defensive prospect when he came out of HS? I remember seeing videos of him in HS blocking everything like he was Nerlens Noel.

thunderfan
01-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Wasn't Amare considered a big defensive prospect when he came out of HS? I remember seeing videos of him in HS blocking everything like he was Nerlens Noel.

If you're 6'10 and you can stand on your own 2 legs, you can pretty much block everything in a HS basketball game.

DMC
01-03-2013, 02:15 PM
So who failed to teach him that punching glass can cause injuries to your hand?

Drachen
01-03-2013, 04:10 PM
So who failed to teach him that punching glass can cause injuries to your hand?

He had an appointment to learn this but he was too busy doubling up on his "pushups before freethrows" class.

Spurs9
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Amare's too busy trying to get fashion advise from his Amish teammate to learn any defense.
http://thesportsfashionista.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/tyson-chandler-fashion-week-amish-3.jpg

BUMP
01-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Arrogant, retarded veterans - maybe not. Certain players do care and are teachable though. Look at Serge Ibaka today compared to 4 years ago -astonishing. You think noone taught him anything? Dude works tirelessly with coaches.

Well he's a little bit different since he's a foreigner and knows that he'll get shipped back to his homeland, chucking spears and playing basketball with coconuts if he doesn't listen to master, so he has no choice.

Guys like Deron Williams, Griffin, Amare, etc. already have their money so they have no desire to improve at all.

AaronY
01-03-2013, 06:10 PM
This...if that sumbitch paid attention in Middle School and High School he would have known how to play defense. :lol blaming his NBA head coach that he didn't learn one of the most basic parts of the game.

NBA defense is very complicated actually. Most rookies really struggle with it even ones coming out of good college programs

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-03-2013, 06:12 PM
:lmao comparing Serge Ibaka to someone who's made 9 figures in salary

Riddler
01-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Well he's a little bit different since he's a foreigner and knows that he'll get shipped back to his homeland, chucking spears and playing basketball with coconuts if he doesn't listen to master, so he has no choice.

Guys like Deron Williams, Griffin, Amare, etc. already have their money so they have no desire to improve at all.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m18i6dIsj41roog4vo1_500.gif

Hemotivo
01-03-2013, 10:21 PM
http://uppix.net/6/8/3/0e4b2f796c32ad988214364733ab8.gif

irishock
01-04-2013, 05:11 PM
D'antoni:

He might have forgotten that Mike Woodson was also running the defense the last year I was there, so I don’t know if he just didn’t pick that year to listen.

LOL