PDA

View Full Version : Big deal: You can be fat and fit

Trainwreck2100
01-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Big deal: You can be fat and fit
By Marilyn Wann , Special to CNN
updated 1:58 PM EST, Thu January 3, 2013

CNN.com

Editor's note: Marilyn Wann is author of "FAT!SO?" and a weight diversity speaker internationally. She is the creator of Yay! Scales, which give compliments instead of numbers.

(CNN) -- After a careful review of all relevant research worldwide, the U.S. government's leading analyst of weight data just confirmed what I've long known: Being fat might not be a death sentence.

That this study reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association seems at all shocking is a measure of the intensity and pervasiveness of weight prejudice in our society and in our sciences.

Another recent study found people who were "metabolically healthy" and overweight or obese had no higher death risk than metabolically healthy "normal" weight people.

I take an interest in the topic because I'm fat and because I don't have a death wish. I'm also interested because, like so many fat people, I've encountered weight discrimination when I seek routine medical care. I was 26 years old when I was denied the right to purchase health insurance. I had no significant history of illness or injury. I was just fat. That day, I became a fat rights activist.

Being overweight linked to lower risk of mortality

In the intervening years, I've heard from so many people who fear for their lives when they encounter weight discrimination in our health care system.

As a fat activist, I help as much as I can, but I'm no federal agency.

One woman called in the middle of the night, hoping I knew of an MRI she could use for an important test. The machine at her local hospital, which she'd used before, was being guarded by a technician who strictly enforced the weight limits. The tray that slides in and out of the machine could break. Instead, she was denied potentially life-saving information in a crisis. How many of the deaths blamed on weight are actually caused by medical equipment -- everything from blood pressure cuffs to surgical instruments -- that fails to accommodate fat people when we need it most?

Then there are the fat people who did everything their doctors recommended to lose weight ... and died from dangerous diet drugs, from starvation diets, from mutilating weight-loss surgeries. I also hear from many people who live with the devastating physical and psychological consequences of such weight-loss attempts.

Some of these stories are referred to as anecdata, meaning they don't count unless they're counted in research -- although there are plenty of studies to support these outcomes. Even so, I believe it still makes a difference when we tell our stories of weight discrimination and its damaging impact on our health.

Living: 'Fatshion' bloggers find beauty in all sizes

People are telling their stories of weight bias in medical care on websites like First, Do No Harm, This Is Thin Privilege and Obesity Surgery Gone Wrong. The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance has been speaking out on behalf of fat people's civil rights since its founding in 1969.

Health professionals of good conscience are joining this effort in increasing numbers. They've developed an approach called Health At Every Size that is proving to be better for people's health than weight-loss attempts. The Health At Every Size professional organization, Association of Size Diversity and Health, this week launched the project Resolved, a response to New Year's weight-loss resolutions. It invites people to share stories about weight discrimination in health care and opinions about what needs to change.

Weight bias has been documented among doctors, nurses, fitness instructors and other professionals on whom a fat person might need to rely for help. Last year, researchers who themselves are part of an anti-"obesity" institution (Yale's Rudd Institute) surveyed medical professionals who specialize in caring for fat people and found that they had high levels of weight bias, viewing us as "lazy, stupid, and worthless."

These biases don't improve medical care. Two pioneers of the Health At Every Size approach, psychologist Deb Burgard and health promotion expert Lily O'Hara, analyze existing data to point out that using BMI as a proxy for metabolic health mislabels 51% of healthy people as unhealthy. Meanwhile, 23.5% of the thin people with risky indicators will not be screened or treated early because they "look" healthy.

In the medical literature, every time fat people prove to be healthier or to live longer than thin people, researchers call that result an "obesity paradox." I'd call their refusal to view fat people positively a form of prejudice.

Here's a finding from the recent research that didn't make the headlines: For people over 65, being fat wasn't associated with increased risk, not even for the fattest old people. When do most people die, in our increasingly long-lived society? Over age 65, perhaps?

Living: Are we really ready to take a look at 'real women'?

I also learned this week that a highly accurate way to predict a person's risk of dying is to see how easily they can get up from the floor. I'm trying to imagine how different our health care system would be if, instead of focusing on weight and weight loss, caregivers did the sitting-rising test instead.

How much healthier would we be? How much more would we actually enjoy healthy living, free from weight judgment? How much time and money would we save? How much discrimination and human tragedy could we avoid? I'm guessing it'd be tons.

© 2013 Cable News Network. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Share this article inShare

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

:bang:bang:bang:bang

Trainwreck2100
01-03-2013, 07:00 PM
tldr fatties fatting all over the place.

Fpoonsie
01-03-2013, 07:04 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Avante
01-03-2013, 07:21 PM
tldr fatties fatting all over the place.

I have a cousin who has struggled with her weight. Nicest person you'd ever want to meet. Does all she can to battle her problem.

It takes a true asshole to play what you just did.

redzero
01-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Looks like somebody needs to check their privilege.

Trainwreck2100
01-03-2013, 07:23 PM
inb4 someone tries to shit in my thread

edit........too late

dirk4mvp
01-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Does all she can to battle her problem.

Obviously not.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-03-2013, 07:25 PM
The way America has become accepting of obesity is sickening. The big reason this country has out-of-control healthcare costs is because of how much healthcare obese people require. They respond with anecdotal bullshit about a few people who are fat while being healthy and not on any medication. It's totally irresponsible to portray obesity at something that doesn't compromise your health.

Avante
01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
inb4 someone tries to shit in my thread

Have some class asshole.

edit........too late

Trainwreck2100
I'm real concerned about the amount of fat acceptance crap that has come out cause it's new years. I need those people to sign up at gyms and then stop going to keep my costs down

redzero's Baby Momma
Obviously not.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/2148782_o.gif

Avante
01-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Obviously not.

Why talk about things you know ...0...about? She has lost over 50 pounds, now it's all about keeping it off, there's the struggle.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Sampling obese people over age 65 is as intellectually dishonest as it gets. A significant portion of obese people don't make it to 65, so by only sampling ones that do preselects a group of people where obesity has an abnormally low effect on their health.

This article also fails to mention how costly these "health at every size" programs are. Yeah, you can load fat people up with blood pressure meds and the works, just don't be surprised when normal people get upset "health at every size" is jacking their insurance costs up.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Why talk about things you know ...0...about? She has lost over 50 pounds, now it's all about keeping it off, there's the struggle.
So she got her weight down through diet and exercise, right?

iirc trainwreck has a similar weight loss story, and his criticism/laughter it not at all aimed at people like your cousin.

dirk4mvp
01-03-2013, 07:41 PM

inspirational stuff.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-03-2013, 07:44 PM

It's not really a struggle.

In order to lose weight, you need to burn MORE calories than you consume.

In order to maintain weight, you need to burn AS MANY calories as you consume.

If one is capable of losing 50 pounds, one is capable of maintaining the new weight. The problem is people going on unsustainable diets so they have no clue what to do once they're off the diet.

Trainwreck2100
01-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Sampling obese people over age 65 is as intellectually dishonest as it gets. A significant portion of obese people don't make it to 65, so by only sampling ones that do preselects a group of people where obesity has an abnormally low effect on their health.

This article also fails to mention how costly these "health at every size" programs are. Yeah, you can load fat people up with blood pressure meds and the works, just don't be surprised when normal people get upset "health at every size" is jacking their insurance costs up.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/02/health/overweight-mortality/index.html

son the causation is
-fat people are sick so they have to go to the doctor more so they are more likely to find something chronic
-when an old person gets sick and loses weight because of it it helps to have extra weight to lose
-being thin doesn't make you sick and die but being sick can make you thin and die

Avante
01-03-2013, 07:52 PM
It's not really a struggle.

In order to lose weight, you need to burn MORE calories than you consume.

In order to maintain weight, you need to burn AS MANY calories as you consume.

If one is capable of losing 50 pounds, one is capable of maintaining the new weight. The problem is people going on unsustainable diets so they have no clue what to do once they're off the diet.

Well aware of all that. Been into physical fitness since high school. I had a lot to do with my cousins success at losing the weight. I got her out and active and off the junk she was consuming, She does struggle staying focused/routine/disciplined however. She does the best she can but lacks self motivation. Yep, weak.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Well aware of all that. Been into physical fitness since high school. I had a lot to do with my cousins success at losing the weight. I got her out and active and off the junk she was consuming, She does struggle staying focused/routine/disciplined however. She does the best she can but lacks self motivation. Yep, weak.
She lost 50 pounds and from what you're saying is keeping it off. You're making this thread about her to victimize her when the thread is targeted at fat people who don't care and think it's healthy to be fat.

baseline bum
01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
She is the creator of Yay! Scales, which give compliments instead of numbers.

OMG, this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I'm tempted to buy one though so I can make a website converting the compliments to tonnage for fat bitches worldwide.

baseline bum
01-03-2013, 08:34 PM
At 5'4" and about 285 pounds, she identifies as a fat person.

:lmao no shit

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-03-2013, 08:34 PM
:lmao no shit

:lmao

baseline bum
01-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Oh my god, this article keeps getting better and better. The Yay! Scales had me laughing so hard I had to stop, and now hearing this dumbfuck bitch about the healthcare problems caused by 5'4" 285 pounders? :rollin

Avante
01-03-2013, 08:39 PM
I am a firm beliver in not saying things in hiding that you wouldn't say in person. Nothing sucks harder than people talking shit they'd never say in person. Internet pricks really do suck.

Would anyone talk....fatty fatty....to a fat person?

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-03-2013, 08:40 PM

If that person was one of those people with a bad fattitude (i.e. thinks I should suffer because they can't fit in their airline seat) I'd say it to their face.

baseline bum
01-03-2013, 08:41 PM
I am a firm beliver in not saying things in hiding that you wouldn't say in person. Nothing sucks harder than people talking shit they'd never say in person. Internet pricks really do suck.

LOL faggot

Trainwreck2100
01-03-2013, 08:47 PM
will you please stop replying to this moron so he stops shitting in my thread, danka

johnsmith
01-03-2013, 08:49 PM

Lol, says the guy on the Internet that's always running his mouth.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-03-2013, 08:51 PM
I highly doubt Avante would say he's 6'2" 280 but all muscle in real life tbh.

baseline bum
01-03-2013, 08:52 PM
will you please stop replying to this moron so he stops shitting in my thread, danka

Avante's gonna shit what he wants to shit. Our last bill in the EC was to ban this fuck and we got the votes, but it never happened :cry

Avante
01-03-2013, 08:54 PM
If that person was one of those people with a bad fattitude (i.e. thinks I should suffer because they can't fit in their airline seat) I'd say it to their face.

I seriously doubt that.

Avante
01-03-2013, 08:56 PM

Have some class asshole, ok? Talking fat people on a public forum, what a prick!

mrsmaalox
01-03-2013, 08:57 PM
I have no doubt that some obese people are very healthy. And I laud persons of any size who accept themselves as they are (healthy or not), are comfortable in their own skin and don't have to be defensive and feel they have to justify themselves and whine about acceptance. But the worst is blaming everyone or everything for their own choices:

"One woman called in the middle of the night, hoping I knew of an MRI she could use for an important test. The machine at her local hospital, which she'd used before, was being guarded by a technician who strictly enforced the weight limits. The tray that slides in and out of the machine could break. Instead, she was denied potentially life-saving information in a crisis. How many of the deaths blamed on weight are actually caused by medical equipment -- everything from blood pressure cuffs to surgical instruments -- that fails to accommodate fat people when we need it most?"

Gimme a break :rolleyes Choosing to be obese is a risk to your health; accept that or change it.

Avante
01-03-2013, 08:58 PM
I highly doubt Avante would say he's 6'2" 280 but all muscle in real life tbh.

I wouldn't have to, the eyes don't lie.

GoodOdor
01-03-2013, 08:59 PM
:lol

Avante
01-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Avante's gonna shit what he wants to shit. Our last bill in the EC was to ban this fuck and we got the votes, but it never happened :cry

So show disrespect for fat people or be banned, why a punkass freak you are.

Avante
01-03-2013, 09:01 PM
What's wrong with you people? You don't run down fat people, you do what you can to help them. Talk about a lot of assholes, sheesh~~~~~~~~

johnsmith
01-03-2013, 09:02 PM
What's wrong with you people? You don't run down fat people, you do what you can to help them. Talk about a lot of assholes, sheesh~~~~~~~~

These people make me sick too Avante.....lets stop posting here forever!

GoodOdor
01-03-2013, 09:02 PM

You seem pretty defensive, tbh. You a fatass?

Avante
01-03-2013, 09:07 PM
You seem pretty defensive, tbh. You a fatass?

Dude, HS running back/sprinter. The summer between my junior/senior year a coach got me into lifting. Been at it ever since. Big dude, linebacker looking.

It's just prickish for people to talk shit they'd never have the balls to say in person. You don't run down fat people, how uncool is that? Especially since you woudn't be talking that shit if not In hiding.

GoodOdor
01-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Dude, HS running back/sprinter. The summer between my junior/senior year a coach got me into lifting. Been at it ever since. Big dude, linebacker looking.

It's just prickish for people to talk shit they'd never have the balls to say in person. You don't run down fat people, how uncool is that? Especially since you woudn't be talking that shit if not In hiding.

You are old, eat 1 big ass meal a day, and sit on your ass for hours posting on the forums.

Yes, I'd say you're fat.

Avante
01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
You are old, eat 1 big ass meal a day, and sit on your ass for hours posting on the forums.

Yes, I'd say you're fat.

Then there's always reality.

Sure, typical internet mentality. If it's good you are lying, if it's bad you are telling the truth.

Believe what ya like who cares?

me..I'm a big buffed dude.
whoever...bullshit!

me...I'm a big fat slop.
whoeveer...yes you are.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-03-2013, 09:18 PM

Lying to them and telling them it's healthy to be fat is even more counterproductive and unhelpful than fat jokes.

Avante
01-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Lying to them and telling them it's healthy to be fat is even more counterproductive and unhelpful than fat jokes.

So the best way to deal with fat people is to dedicate a thread to them poking fun at them. Calling them...fatty...right?

How about some class?

Save this "internet" bullshit about how you'd do this and that ..honest ya would. You'd do just like everyone else, be very considerate to them and their problem. You'd be as nice as can be if talking with any fat person about thei situation. We all would so why this need to play bullshit like we see here?

ashbeeigh
01-03-2013, 09:35 PM
I am a good 15 pounds away from being at a "normal" BMI but I can run a half marathon and do bootcamp three times a week, so. I think I'm good at being "overweight."

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-03-2013, 09:36 PM
I am a good 15 pounds away from being at a "normal" BMI but I can run a half marathon and do bootcamp three times a week, so. I think I'm good at being "overweight."

Being 15 pounds overweight isn't really a big deal.

I don't think you're 5'4" 285 :lmao

Avante
01-03-2013, 09:40 PM
3qyM44g7G_w

ashbeeigh
01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
I looked at the BMI thing to check and see how overweight they were talking. They said that people 30 to 34 had a less risk of dying...and even at my heaviest I was only at 33. I've lost (and maintained) about 25 since the summer if 2010 and it still only got me down to a 29 BMI. The smaller you are the more weight has to come off for it to be "normal."

But to answer your question, I was not ever 285 and if I had that extra inch I might be closer to my healthy weight. :)

Trainwreck2100
01-04-2013, 01:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o

Wish that yay scale test chick would take that test

Wild Cobra
01-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Fat and fit? I say bullshit if fat is more than 30% of your weight.

I have gained weight over the years. I could lose the extra 30 pounds I have, but I haven't worried much about it. I'm no where near the unhealthy range. My muscles just aren't defined like before. Already lost 10 lbs from my max, and it isn't that easy to have almost no fat in your 50's.

I have found something unique though. I used to always be able to eat as much as I likes, and never gain a pound. That changed in my 40's. I am always hungry unless I eat certain foods. I found the fastest way to manage my hunger is to eat some Ritz whole wheat crackers and cheese. My hunger is gone after eating some. I would suggest people find out what satisfies their hunger that want to lose weight, and eat that at the end of your meals.

The Reckoning
01-04-2013, 06:21 AM
i dont understand how people get fat. im so busy i dont have time to eat, and usually have to force myself to cook something.

Wild Cobra
01-04-2013, 06:25 AM
i dont understand how people get fat. im so busy i dont have time to eat, and usually have to force myself to cook something.
Then you are probably just as unhealthy as those who are obese.

The Reckoning
01-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Then you are probably just as unhealthy as those who are obese.

doubt it. i only eat when im hungry and i dont have a vehicle so i walk everywhere. i recently had a physical for stenuous commercial work and passed without any problems.

i dont understand why you cant eat when youre hungry and drink nothing but water and juice. all of this scientific eating seems like bullshit to me. your body knows you best.

Trainwreck2100
01-04-2013, 06:57 AM
doubt it. i only eat when im hungry and i dont have a vehicle so i walk everywhere. i recently had a physical for stenuous commercial work and passed without any problems.

i dont understand why you cant eat when youre hungry and drink nothing but water and juice. all of this scientific eating seems like bullshit to me. your body knows you best.

a big factor is liquid calories, your thirst reflex isn't associated with your hunger reflex so your body doesn't know you've consumed 200 calories when you drink a soda

The Reckoning
01-04-2013, 07:04 AM
well that and corn syrup makes you more hungry so you eat more. stop drinking soft drinks and youll lose 5 pounds in no time. corn is the devil. it ruined alot of native american tribes that became dependent on it.

Leetonidas
01-04-2013, 07:11 AM
this article :lol

i bet that fat ass news anchor has one of these.

Leetonidas
01-04-2013, 07:13 AM
btw, you cannot be OBESE, and be HEALTHY, those are completely opposing. Overweight, maybe, but if you're OBESE, your hard has to work a lot harder to circulate blood to your fat ass so there is no fucking way in hell this could ever, EVER, be considered "healthy."

Fat boy
01-04-2013, 03:08 PM
The way America has become accepting of obesity is sickening. The big reason this country has out-of-control healthcare costs is because of how much healthcare obese people require. They respond with anecdotal bullshit about a few people who are fat while being healthy and not on any medication. It's totally irresponsible to portray obesity at something that doesn't compromise your health.

STFU!!! Oh, no!! Don't touch my guns!! But you can regulate how people eat!?!? :flipoff

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-04-2013, 03:11 PM
mouse, why are you talking to me as if I'm in the "Don't touch my guns!" crowd?

Fat boy
01-04-2013, 03:15 PM
btw, you cannot be OBESE, and be HEALTHY, those are completely opposing. Overweight, maybe, but if you're OBESE, your hard has to work a lot harder to circulate blood to your fat ass so there is no fucking way in hell this could ever, EVER, be considered "healthy."

Being thin doesn't make one healthy either as I know plenty of thin smokers who are unhealthy as anyone else. Also thin pill poppers, drunk, addicts, etc.

Leetonidas
01-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Being thin doesn't make one healthy either as I know plenty of thin smokers who are unhealthy as anyone else. Also thin pill poppers, drunk, addicts, etc.

cool story bro, not sure where i mentioned that but thanks for clarifying

Fat boy
01-04-2013, 05:17 PM
mouse, why are you talking to me as if I'm in the "Don't touch my guns!" crowd?

WTF is mouse?

Trainwreck2100
01-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Their skinniness is a side effect of their shitty life choices, much like a fatty's fatness is a side effect of their shitty life choices

Fat boy
01-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Gimme a break :rolleyes Choosing to be obese is a risk to your health; accept that or change it.

Driving is a risk to my health, so is crossing the street, eating (i could choke at any time), swimming, running, excerising, sex, playing sports, etc.

Fat boy
01-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Their skinniness is a side effect of their shitty life choices, much like a fatty's fatness is a side effect of their shitty life choices

Is your lack of sex a side effect of your face?

ffadicted
01-06-2013, 06:40 PM
I actually hate fat people. If you don't even have the will to put in effort in your own looks and health, I'm automatically assuming you have no will to put in effort into anything. If I ever become a manager somewhere, I'm never going to hire fat ppl tbh, unless they're some sort of genius I can't refuse lol

Doesn't take a lot of effort to eat well and pop into the gym a couple times a week at least.

DarkReign
01-07-2013, 11:13 AM
These people make me sick too Avante.....lets stop posting here forever!

I loled.

Fat boy
01-07-2013, 01:47 PM
I actually hate fat people. If you don't even have the will to put in effort in your own looks and health, I'm automatically assuming you have no will to put in effort into anything. If I ever become a manager somewhere, I'm never going to hire fat ppl tbh, unless they're some sort of genius I can't refuse lol

Doesn't take a lot of effort to eat well and pop into the gym a couple times a week at least.

Why should I conform to what you and others want me to look like!? I can live, work ,eat the way I choose to because this is America and I don't have to eat like you or anyone else. You are going to die just like I am and everyday you come closer to death just like I do. I wouldn't want to work for an asshole like you anyhow.