PDA

View Full Version : Are Beno's days numbered?

SenorSpur
06-30-2005, 02:24 PM
In the days following the championship, I remember reading an article in the Express-News about the moves the Spurs could potentially make to "tighten up" the roster.

I remember reading the writer's statement about the Spurs possibly moving Rasho over the summer - no surprise there. He went onto say the Spurs coaching brass was very disappointed in Beno's performance in the series versus the Pistons and warned to not be surprised if the Spurs shop Beno.

His playoff woes notwithstanding, I though he did an admirable job filling in for TP most of the year and in the playoffs and he's a decent enough shooter.

Are the Spurs that disappointed in him that they are ready to "cut bait" on him? Isn't too early to give up on him?

SWC Bonfire
06-30-2005, 02:27 PM
...warned to not be surprised if the Spurs shop Beno.

For what/who? The proverbial ham sandwich? Beno makes the minimum rookie contract amount. They probably couldn't get anything in return other than another rookie, or must package him as part of a trade.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Please stop trading Beno. Thank you.

smeagol
06-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Please stop trading Beno. Thank you.
People just want to make Sequ happy

Manu20
06-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Beno will be in a spurs uniform next season bank on it.

clubalien
06-30-2005, 02:37 PM
but will tpark?

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 02:41 PM
He makes so little money that it's not worth it to trade him.

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Beno isn't going anywhere.
He's not a phenom, but he ain't deadweight either.

We're keepin him.

SenorSpur
06-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks Kori. That's good to know.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Beno hit some very timely 3's throughout the ENTIRE season and throughout most of the postseason. The guy can shoot, when we kick it out to him for a wide open jumper the chances are he will make it far more than he will miss it. Plus the guy is on a very cheap contract. Plus he's only going to get better. Why would we trade Beno...Its retarded. We won the championship with him, can u imagine if we had played 8 players at the end of the finals instead of 7? The way we stuck with only Horry and Barry off the bench was sheer genius i think, two experienced veteran leaders. We don't need to improve our guards, for the bajillionth time. They're a good solid core of young players

ducks
06-30-2005, 02:45 PM
yeah if it takes him to make a deal work with a player like barry or rasho

SenorSpur
06-30-2005, 02:47 PM
I totally agree with everyone - we should keep him. He's got terrific upside as a backup PG.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2005, 02:48 PM
The only major flaw in his game is bringing the ball up against pressure. Everything else is pretty much what you want in a backup point. I'm sure his ballhandling will improve.

I've seen nothing to warrant moving him.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2005, 02:50 PM
I do partly agree with the people who say he's just too slow. But he is a natural scorer, and I absolutely LOVE his pull up 15 footer in transition. It's money baby!

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Beno is deceptively slow.

SenorSpur
06-30-2005, 02:55 PM
True. He's definitely got to improve both his ball-handling and decision-making against pressure coverage. He was absolutely horrible in those areas versus the Pistons and they took full advantage of that weakness. No wonder he saw no actions the final three games of the series.

1Parker1
06-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Beno is deceptively slow.

...or maybe it's just cuz we're used to Parker's fast speed. :spin

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2005, 03:04 PM
That has something to do it. I liken it to a reliever with a great change-up coming in for a fireballer. Beno is pretty crafty with the rock.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Another minor aspect of Beno's game that I like is that he's a lefty just like Manu. That probably warrants more attention than it gets.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2005, 03:07 PM
remember towards the end of THIS season bill walton was like

"i wwonnnder if peeeople reaaaliiiize Manuuuu Ginobiliiii is left handed yetttt"

batman2883
06-30-2005, 03:13 PM
The only person that needs to be traded is Rasho and hopefully by the beard of Zeus he will be gone by traning camp for someone better.

Solid D
06-30-2005, 03:14 PM
In the days following the championship, I remember reading an article in the Express-News about the moves the Spurs could potentially make to "tighten up" the roster.

I remember reading the writer's statement about the Spurs possibly moving Rasho over the summer - no surprise there. He went onto say the Spurs coaching brass was very disappointed in Beno's performance in the series versus the Pistons and warned to not be surprised if the Spurs shop Beno.

His playoff woes notwithstanding, I though he did an admirable job filling in for TP most of the year and in the playoffs and he's a decent enough shooter.

Are the Spurs that disappointed in him that they are ready to "cut bait" on him? Isn't too early to give up on him?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062605.1C.BKNspurs.main.aa8723f.html

I believe this is the Express News article following the championship you are referring to SenorSpur. It's the only one that seems close to it, anyways.

midgetonadonkey
06-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Yeah we should get rid of Beno cause the fucking rookie played like shit in one of the highest pressure situations in the NBA. :rolleyes

Give the little bastard time, he will improve.

SenorSpur
06-30-2005, 03:28 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062605.1C.BKNspurs.main.aa8723f.html

I believe this is the Express News article following the championship you are referring to SenorSpur. It's the only one that seems close to it, anyways.

You got it right, Solid D. Thanks for getting my back on that.
:fro

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Yeah we should get rid of Beno cause the fucking rookie played like shit in one of the highest pressure situations in the NBA. :rolleyes

Give the little bastard time, he will improve.

Damn straight. Our rookie PG looked like a rookie against the second best D in the league in the damn finals. Call off the lynch mob folks.

beirmeistr
06-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Damn straight. Our rookie PG looked like a rookie against the second best D in the league in the damn finals. Call off the lynch mob folks.
Let's keep this kid. He's only 22 and his ball handling will improve. he's already a pretty good shooter and passer.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2005, 04:38 PM
The Spurs are set at the 1 for the next 10 seasons and Spurs fans want to trade. WTF?

timvp
06-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Spurs fans are amazing. When the season ends, they only remember the last game of the season. After 2003, everyone said Parker sucked and Speedy was better because of the last game of the season. In 2004, everyone said Hedo sucked (even though he might have [and they were probably right]) because of the last game of the season. In 2005, Spurs fans say Beno AND Parker suck because they didn't play great basketball against the two best defensive point guards in the league.

Come to grips, Spurs fans. Billups and Hunter are the two best defensive point guards in the league. Billups was on the all-defense second team (no point guard was on the first team) and Hunter is probably an even better defender. Going into the series, any basketball fan could tell you that the Spurs' point guards weren't going to shine.

One thing Beno did was take Carlos Arroyo out of the series. In the early games, Beno absolutely owned Arroyo. People forget how key Arroyo was against the Heat. Because Arroyo was getting owned, Brown had to take him out of the rotation and limit his bench even further. When that happened, Hunter switched from guarding Manu to guarding Beno and that's when Beno struggled. Pop matched Brown's shortening of the rotation, but the advantage went the Spurs way because Barry > Hunter and Horry > McDyess.

No doubt Beno needs to improve his ballhandling -- especially against pressure -- but he has a future in the league. He's a great shooter and a very good passer. His defense was pretty good by the end of the year too. Now he just needs to lose about 15-20 pounds so he can get faster (just like Nash needed to lose weight to reach his full potential), and the Spurs will have a top five backup PG.

P.S.

That said, I'd like to send a shout out to the brains such as IceColdBrewski who said Beno was better than Parker. If Beno was the starting point guard on this team, the Pistons would have swept the Spurs by a total of 200 points.

atlfan25
06-30-2005, 05:04 PM
only a moron would want beno gone, he is solid.

SenorSpur
06-30-2005, 06:45 PM

Guys, it looks like this thread has gotten somewhat off track. Let me reset. No one on this forum proposed the idea of trading or getting rid of Beno. This notion was brought up in an article I read in the Express-News.

I think we're all in agreement that Beno is a young and promising player for this team. I raised the issue because I wanted to know if the Spurs were truly down on him because of this play during the Pistons series. If so, I trust "cooler heads" will prevail and the organization will allow this youngster to develop.

Solid D
06-30-2005, 07:19 PM
I like Beno. We knew he had trouble bringing the ball up under a press from very early in the season. Larry Brown knew it and exposed it with Lindsey from the get-go in the Finals. He knew when Pop substituted Beno in for TP, he would bring the pressure. Larry immediatedly went to a trap on Beno and Udrih coughed it up.

Beno has something to work on over the summer.

On the positive side, Beno sees the floor well, he is an excellent shooter, and only Manu gets the ball up the floor from Point A to Point B on the break better than Beno.
It was the addition of Beno and Brent that turned the Spurs into the best passing team the Spurs have ever had. They were the difference makers.

The Spurs still need a third guy to play the point, so whether it's Wilks or another quick playmaker with an outside shot, that role player is still needed. That player is needed for matchups and for injury insurance.

If you've watched the league for a few years, you will remember that Kevin Johnson, Steve Kerr, John Stockton and Steve Nash didn't have impressive Rookie seasons.
Steve Nash averaged 3.3 ppg and 2.1 apg in 10 min/gm of action.

Beno will develop and learn and make a fine PG in this league, whether he's a Spur or not.

50 cent
06-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Beno will be back. How many guys are content to develop like he is to become a backup PG for the Spurs in the future. We don't need another Speedy or Antonio Daniels that aspires to be a starter after 1 decent season.

If he can improve his ball handling skills against the press defense, he will be a great backup to Tony for a long time to come.