PDA

View Full Version : US Players in next World Championship quaifier

hendrix
06-30-2005, 02:33 PM
The quoted text is old but need to ask something

The USA World Championship Qualifying Team is expected to be comprised of professional players from leagues other than the NBA. Tentative plans call for a group of approximately 20-25 players to assemble for training Aug. 6-9 at a site to be determined.

The USA men will attempt to earn a qualifying spot for the United States at the 2006 FIBA World Championship. A total of 10 men’s teams from North, South and Central Americas and the Caribbean will participate in the FIBA Americas Qualifying Tournament and the top four finishing teams, and Argentina which already qualified for the ‘06 Worlds by winning the 2004 Olympics, will earn a coveted qualification spot for the 2006 World Championship that is being held in Japan, Aug. 19-Sept. 3.

The tournament’s 10 teams have been divided into two preliminary round groups of five each. Placed in preliminary round Group A with the United States were Brazil, Canada, Panama and Venezuela. Group B consists of Argentina, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Uruguay. The U.S. opens preliminary play Aug. 24 against Panama, then plays Brazil on Aug. 25, Canada on Aug. 26, and caps preliminary play against Venezuela on Aug. 27.

My question is: Isn't it a little risky to play with players from leagues other than the NBA? Does USA Basketball care enough about qualifying to the WC 2006?
I'm asking this since I dont know much on the level of those leagues, but i gotta tell you: the world is catching up.
If Team USA is comprised of players not from the NBA, they could lose to 4 or 5 strong teams and not qualify.
Argentina is not playing with its best players but still is strong enough to "decide" who qualifies and who doesnt.
Brazil, Canada and Puerto Rico are the strongest and i'll assume they're in. Add some good performances from Dominican Republic or Venezuela and the US is barely in the next WC.
How's the level of the probable players going to this tournament? Any ideas?

hendrix
06-30-2005, 08:34 PM
Wow! zero answers.... I guess really nobody cares about Team USA and the World Championships.

Summers
06-30-2005, 11:31 PM
To be honest, I get really confused trying to remember the difference between the goodwill team, the usa team, etc. So, as a disclaimer, I really don't know what I'm talking about. :lol

But, if this is the team that is being revamped (under Colangelo?), he's pretty much said they're going to have to fill the team with not only NBA players, but also good college players because not enough good NBA players want to participate. Look at what happened in Athens. Not only do NBA players not want to spend their summer banging up their knees and ankles, but it's hard work (4 weeks for strangers to practice together as a team and try to remember how the international rules are different).

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Americans in Europe arestill better than most of the teams that will be fielded at this tourney.

Put out a group including guys like:

Tyus Edny
Maceo Baston
Tanoka Beard
Charles Smith
Anthony Parker

and the like and there will be few problems.

hendrix
07-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Americans in Europe arestill better than most of the teams that will be fielded at this tourney.

Put out a group including guys like:

Tyus Edny
Maceo Baston
Tanoka Beard
Charles Smith
Anthony Parker

and the like and there will be few problems.

I think you're right. College kids can be great and play under similar rules, but i assume it to be risky. NBDL? I have no idea. American players in Europe is a good choice.