PDA

View Full Version : How would you turn this team into a bona fide championship contender?

Jumi
01-04-2013, 04:10 PM
After a loss there's always a tendency to overract as a fan. After watching a team lose in the same exact fashion time and time again, something has to be done! We've watched the Spurs lose games at times when some guys just flat out refused to compete. I don't think we can win them all, but effort is something that has to be given, night in and night out! I might be in the minority, but I wasn't too disappointed when we lost to Memphis a few years back and after we lost to OKC. I was disappointed that we still have a couple of the culprits from the OKC collaspe still on the team. So, fix the team within the constraints of the salary cap and the rules of the NBA. The ultimate goal is to hoist the title in 2012.

Bonner's Out
Trade for Hansbrough

Blair's Out
Find ANY team willing to trade scrub for scrub. There are many cheap towl wavers in the league.

De Colo as primary backup PG.

Neal stays

Jax contributes more to the team before the trade deadline or we salary dump him. No need to prolong this thing.

What are your thoughts?

Sean Cagney
01-04-2013, 04:15 PM
After a loss there's always a tendency to overract as a fan. After watching a team lose in the same exact fashion time and time again, something has to be done! We've watched the Spurs lose games at times when some guys just flat out refused to compete. I don't think we can win them all, but effort is something that has to be given, night in and night out! I might be in the minority, but I wasn't too disappointed when we lost to Memphis a few years back and after we lost to OKC. I was disappointed that we still have a couple of the culprits from the OKC collaspe still on the team. So, fix the team within the constraints of the salary cap and the rules of the NBA. The ultimate goal is to hoist the title in 2012.

Bonner's Out
Trade for Hansbrough

Blair's Out
Find ANY team willing to trade scrub for scrub. There are many cheap towl wavers in the league.

Neal stays

Jax contributes more to the team before the trade deadline or we salary dump him. No need to prolong this thing.

What are your thoughts?

Dumping Jax for nothing no, not even when he can help later on towards playoffs. De Colo is with the toros again, Pop even with Neal out will not use the guy at backup PG it seems. Blair out I agree, cool! Trade him for anything that might help. I would do Bonner for Hansborough though, that would not be a bad trade but I doubt anyone would do that.

Interrohater
01-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Go over the tax and pick up Tyson Chandler. Trade Tiago, Blair, Bonner for a 7 ft stop sign.

Obstructed_View
01-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Since the team that waxed them isn't a bonafide championship contender, the Spurs are doomed. Tied for the best record in the league, but doomed.

silverblk mystix
01-04-2013, 04:26 PM
It could be worse.

Spurs could have Pop regress and start Bonner and start giving Tiago DNP's coach's decision.

Jumi
01-04-2013, 04:26 PM
"Fear is sickness. It will crawl into the soul of everyone who engages it. It has tainted your peace already!" That's the quote from Apocalypto! I refer to it as the "Richard Jefferson Syndrome!" I want to get rid of Blair and Bonner at all costs!

freetiago
01-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Spurs can make layups when teams play them straight up
but when they switch on the pick and rolls the team collapses
parker and ginobili arent good 1v1 players when theyre suppose to beat their man 1v1 when its a big
or duncan should be posting up the small guy
spurs should get a good 1v1 scorer at the guard position

and strengthen the perimeter defense
need to be able to trap the pick and rolls and recover
currently with the "athletes" we have this isnt viable unless you like seeing the other team shoot wide open 3s
teams like the heat philldelphia okc and clippers all have strong defenders who can blow up pick and rolls

will_spurs
01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Hmm... I wouldn't say Parker (or even Manu) aren't good 1v1 players. Parker can run past anybody in the NBA 1v1. The issue are the 1 or 2 bigs waiting for him in the paint after that. Most of the time it's actually 1v3.

Cry Havoc
01-04-2013, 04:50 PM
parker and ginobili arent good 1v1 players when theyre suppose to beat their man 1v1 when its a big

:lmao

freetiago
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
posting a laughing gif great reponse you proved your point...
so why does the team crumple when a pick and roll is switched
parker and ginobili cant beat their man 1v1 anymore
and if 3 guys are waiting inside that means 2 3 point shooters are open

and these teams are playing small
serge switching on him with kevin durant in the middle
chandler switching on him with carmelo in the middle
not really a lot of resistance
he had trouble scoring on chris copeland last night

the images of perkins switching onto ginobili and getting his step back 3 blocked are still in my mind tbh

99 Problems
01-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Easy to say when not paying the bills but the answer is a no brainer.

Pay some lux tax and win this show while TD in win mode.

Jumi
01-04-2013, 05:54 PM
A few moves can be made that constitutes addition by subtraction. Matching salaries will keep us at our current level. The "we overachieved, we tried our best, can't win'em all, we'll get'em next year" mentality has to stop! From what I've read and observed, Richard Jefferson seemed like a good teammate. Good teammate doesn't mean competitor. Would you rather lose with a friend or win with an enemy? Just a thought.

td4mvp21
01-04-2013, 07:46 PM
First, they're still a championship contender, they're just behind LAC, OKC, and MIA right now. The Spurs are a top 4 threat, top 5 at the worst if you want to throw NY ahead of them.

They need a superstar. Duncan is doing amazing this season and Parker is too, but they currently have no one on the roster who is unstoppable. I think that's the root of the problem, and unfortunately it can't be fixed at the moment.

The team offense is gonna need a very elite defense if it's going to win a championship. So far, despite their progress this season, the Spurs don't seem to have that type of defense, especially against other elite teams.

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2013, 08:07 PM
lol u clowns still thinkn of a championship

no move is going to get you a championship...

rascal
01-04-2013, 08:35 PM
The spurs are close but they just don't get players good enough to get them over the top anymore. They still need Duncan to carry the weight with little help on the inside. Jackson and Diaw are just not good enough difference makers and before that the players they add year in year out are the same end of the career types that just can't get the core over the top. 2007 was a long time ago and yet the Spurs are still trying to win with that core bringing back the same core team every year.

They made two significant moves since 2007- Jefferson which did not work out then turned it into Jackson who fits the bill of the type of player that isn't good enough to get the team over the top and the Leonard for Hill trade.

rascal
01-04-2013, 08:42 PM
The Spurs would still be trotting out gray haired Duncan and Manu as their top core players if they wanted to play into their mid 40s and some in here would still believe the Spurs are title contenders.

SpursIndonesia
01-04-2013, 08:49 PM
How to make the Spurs legit ? Give us 25-27 years old Duncan, or even 28-30 yrs old Ginobili, LOL.

The Spurs superstars are old, or not really respected by the league (Parker). These guys can still beat opponent on 1v1, but unlike the likes of Durant, James, Bryant, those guys are always helped & bailed on the way to the hoop, even if their outside shooters go cold and have to force the issues in the paint.

The Spurs superstars will always look for outside shooters, but if they're go cold, and have to force the issues, the result is mostly TOs or hacked missed shots. That's why it's imperative that our role players play at high level to get any success in the post season, as simple as that. And that's much harder to happen than expecting prime superstars to play like one.

Sean Cagney
01-04-2013, 08:56 PM
How to make the Spurs legit ? Give us 25-27 years old Duncan, or even 28-30 yrs old Ginobili, LOL.

The Spurs superstars are old .

Ouch, this is basically mostly true.

SpursIndonesia
01-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Ouch, this is basically mostly true.

Yep, most Spurs fans are still delusional about the team. Yes, the team is still a title contending level one, but are they favorite ? NOPE, not all that probable at all. But do we want to blow this team while they can still, even with just the slightest of hope, contend for the title ? I think that's stupid too. The improbable can still happen afterall.

Russo21
01-04-2013, 10:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b68amce

This should turn the team into a contender :lol

Capt Bringdown
01-04-2013, 10:38 PM
TD and TP are still getting it done. Manu isn't, and won't - he's finished producing at a consistently high level. The writing was on the wall, but the Spurs ignored it.
Sentimentality will get you nowhere in the pursuit of rings.
Enjoy the regular season.

Russo21
01-04-2013, 10:39 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=begygbe

Im sure this would to

SpursIndonesia
01-04-2013, 10:47 PM
TD and TP are still getting it done. Manu isn't, and won't - he's finished producing at a consistently high level. The writing was on the wall, but the Spurs ignored it.
Sentimentality will get you nowhere in the pursuit of rings.
Enjoy the regular season.

And that's not a bad proposition to have at all, considering all the factors in the hand. It's not like the Spurs an old competitive team that never win a ring ala early 2000's Jazz, or a prime superstar led team who can't get it done in the post season like the mid 90's Spurs. We have our moment under the sun, and now just enjoying the final phase of the journey. If we won, great, if not, so be it, that's just life, can't always have your cake and eat it too. The Spurs are still entertaining and good in the regular season, i think that's decent when you see a team like this year Lakers in perspective.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b68amce

This should turn the team into a contender :lol

Umm, that kinda surprises me. Griffin isn't under rookie contract anymore, right ? That seems quite a bargain for a player his caliber (he seems to have a genuine drive to get better each year, not mailing his game after getting a fat contract).

TrainOfThought5
01-04-2013, 11:08 PM
committing ourselves to better defense seems the only way... i trade Neal and BOnner/Blair and 1st round pick for best defensive Big i can get. bring up and PLAY Cojo (best defensive PG). Play SJax PF fulltime. give blair away if nesd be. i think hes a distraction at this point. i tell Parker Splitter N Kawhi to get used to playing 40 minutes a game. and Duncan 35+. and Ginobili 30. if their going to win, it will be everyone momentarily turning back the clock.

Russo21
01-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Maybe Griffin's contract get's bigger as the years go on. Quite often happens. I thought he signed like a 5 year 95 million extention. So the latter part of his contract must be back heavy. He'll get more expensive as the next few years roll by.

TDMVPDPOY
01-05-2013, 12:01 AM
memphis is still shopping rudy gay

DMC
01-05-2013, 12:13 AM
With my spear and magic helmet.

DejuanorwhatDude
01-05-2013, 12:14 AM

Bonner's Out
Trade for Hansbrough

Blair's Out

Neal stays

What are your thoughts?

This team is a contender. Not a certifiable lock like OKC or Miami, but it's worth riding out. No trades unless insane on another party's part are worth doing.

LittleCriminal
01-05-2013, 12:23 AM
memphis is still shopping rudy gay

Rudy Gay, H. Haddadi and T. Wroten for S.Jackson,Lamont and Boner... throw in Joesph and or Picks too!!!
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a5eztof

BadOne
01-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Meh...worth a shot I suppose. More realistic, albeit a division rival.

This would help the interior D I suppose, but not enough to make us a "bona fide" championship contender IMO...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=abhca7g

lefty
01-05-2013, 01:59 AM
The ultimate goal is to hoist the title in 2012.

Well good luck with that

freetiago
01-05-2013, 01:59 AM
just take a risk and sign a headcase like kenyon martin
team is playing to conservative
if we had prime TD Manu we could
now that were older we need to take risks to become true contenders

Russo21
01-05-2013, 03:25 AM
agreed freetiago

Martin > Blair
Martin> Boner
Martin> Diaw

It's a no brainer really. I don't care if he's a bit of a dickhead. He'd be the third best big on the team. What are they waiting for?

Richie
01-05-2013, 05:05 AM
Lakers are losing. Pau is the odd man out. We have everything the Lakers need to run D'Antonis system, considering we've basically been a run and gun 3's team the last few years

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aozspuc

Pau for Jackson, Bonner, Neal, Mills

The Lakers get 4 three point threats, including the all important stretch 4 in Bonner which Howard needs to operate in the paint. Mills and Neal give them better back up point guards that Steve Blake, and Jackson is a legit defender and 3 point threat to allow World Peace to rest.

Unless someone decided to give up a superstar for Gasol, I don't think they could get a better set of role players than they could get from us to fit D'Antonis system.

Spurs depth chart would read

Parker/De Colo
Green/Manu
Leonard/??
Pau/Diaw
Duncan/Splitter

chapnis
01-05-2013, 05:11 AM
Lakers are losing. Pau is the odd man out. We have everything the Lakers need to run D'Antonis system, considering we've basically been a run and gun 3's team the last few years

You'd really want to do a trade that would make the Lakers better?

Richie
01-05-2013, 05:26 AM
You'd really want to do a trade that would make the Lakers better?

If it makes us better too, why not? We all know Bonner will choke in the playoffs, lets just hope the Lakers don't know that too.

playblair
01-05-2013, 05:35 AM
insert dejuan blair back into starting rotation .......

spurs best record in the west with blair in starting line up ......

blair replaced in playoffs = spurs eliminated .......

playblair
01-05-2013, 05:41 AM
call up a true pg ...... cojo

LittleCriminal
01-05-2013, 07:25 AM
How would I turn this team Into a Championship Contender??

Easy:
Trade or Cut Lamont

Sign or trade for a 6'10 or taller, young or old Center/PF.

Anybody who can make layups is an upgrade over Lamont.
Shit Bonner comes off the pine before he does.

DapDaGenius
01-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Trade Tiago Splitter to the Rockets for Greg Smith and Patrick Patterson. Then trade Blair to the Magic for Kyle O'Quinn.

Get rid of Bonner any way possible.

So with Splitter the Softie, Broken Blair and Bitch Boy Bonner gone, split the 45 minutes up between Smith, O'Quinn and Patterson.

Maybe not championship contender still...but it's better than what we have now.

Whisky Dog
01-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Don't make them play 4 games in 5 nights, tbh

silverblackfan
01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Keep the team healthy and allow them to continue to gell.

Boomersgold
01-05-2013, 11:43 AM
We need more size off the bench.

What do you guys think of this trade?

Manu and Bonner for Pau Gasol. Pau Gasol is being played at the three point line at LA due to Howard controlling the post in D'antoni's system, and we all know that Pau simply isn't a three point shooter. If used correctly, Gasol can be a dominant force down low, someone who's capable of easily scoring 20+ points against a star-studded team USA. The Lakers, in return, get a 50+% regular season three point shooter in Bonner and a veteran play making guard in Ginobili. Also, by trading Ginobili, it gives De Colo the opportunity to be the play maker for our bench unit. It'll also allow us to play Mills or Neal in their true position, the shooting guard spot, where they can best contribute to the team.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b89orug

Would this trade make us a better team?

AFBlue
01-05-2013, 12:50 PM
1. Get everyone healthy
2. Set the rotation--10-deep minimum
3. Do not play the Big 3 more than 35mpg or on second night of b2b
4. Maintain a deep rotation and manage minutes in early playoff rounds
5. Do not trade anyone currently contributing (excludes Blair and Joseph)

Truckules
01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Go after Nikola Pekovic, Amir Johnson, or Jason Smith, in that order.

Truckules
01-05-2013, 02:25 PM
T'wolves probably want too much for Pek, so I think getting him would probably require Tiago which makes it a lateral move. If that is the case, I think this trade for Amir Johnson makes the most sense. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=agyyejm

maverick1948
01-05-2013, 04:17 PM
So many of you are trading for someone who would put us in the Luxury tax level. Try looking at this trade. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=abos5gl

Nicholson is a high energy player. He would be the 4th or 5th big behind Diaw and maybe Bonner. When he gets a little time practicing with the team, he could be a really interesting player. Another reason for this trade for us would be reducing salary under the luxury tax to 1.49 m. We would under the rules have to add another player to bring us to the 14 minimum players under contract. I think with prorated rookie minimum we could sign Ryan Richards, bring his butt over here, put him on the Toros and play him to find out if he is a player or not. This seeing 10 mins of court time for a team and then not getting more flustrates me. And I want to see him on the court with "real" players, not the low level Euro losers. If he is not going to make it, then we have invested very little in him and can dump him back to bad Euro teams. BTW this is a money move on Richards. We would still have over 1 m if something happened and we needed an additional player.

Richie
01-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Ryan Richards is garbage. He'll never be an NBA quality player. Why would Orlando trade a player they just drafted in the first round who is putting up decent stats in limited minutes?

xellos88330
01-05-2013, 04:38 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/xellos88330/timemachine1_zps1f86c96e.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/xellos88330/time-machine-observations_zps604f321a.jpg

rmt
01-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Hope that TD continues his great play and one of: (1) Manu turns back the clock or (2) hot 3 point shooting. This is assuming average to good play from TP, Splitter, Diaw, Leonard, Green and SJax. Either that or pray for an injury to opponents' key player e.g. Durant/Westbrooke/Lebron/Paul/Melo on teams Spurs play. Don't think Spurs can get anyone worthwhile for the assets they're willing to give up - Bonner, Blair.

BadOne
01-05-2013, 04:54 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/xellos88330/time-machine-observations_zps604f321a.jpg

:lol Nice.

Monkeyboy14
01-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Well we ARE title contender... but I would trade bonner blair and either neal or mills for a big who can play D and has post moves. Thats been our problem the past few years.. I thought that was obvious...

DapDaGenius
01-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Ryan Richards is garbage. He'll never be an NBA quality player. Why would Orlando trade a player they just drafted in the first round who is putting up decent stats in limited minutes?

It's asking "How would YOU" do this...it doesn't say something has to have good reasoning behind it. LOL but it is assumed that you would, I suppose.

Richie
01-05-2013, 07:48 PM
It's asking "How would YOU" do this...it doesn't say something has to have good reasoning behind it. LOL but it is assumed that you would, I suppose.

I think we can get Pau Gasol for our bench (Bonner, Neal, Mills) + Jackson for salary. Gives the Lakers the players they need for D'Antonis system, we get the most dominant front line in basketball. If we could get past OKC, we'd destroy the Heat in the Finals

KL2
01-05-2013, 08:17 PM
The only way the Spurs could really change their situation is in the off season. Let Neal, Jack, Blair walk, try to trade Bonner for a backup PF or SF. Resign Manu only if he wants to come back cheap, try to re-sign Splitter this season for cheap because I think this guy just may get 10 mill+. Go after and try to get two of any of these free agents:
Larry Sanders, Andre Iguodala, Tony Allen, David West, Landry, Hickson, Speights, etc.

Boomersgold
01-05-2013, 08:41 PM
I think we can get Pau Gasol for our bench (Bonner, Neal, Mills) + Jackson for salary. Gives the Lakers the players they need for D'Antonis system, we get the most dominant front line in basketball. If we could get past OKC, we'd destroy the Heat in the Finals

Wouldn't Mills have to consent to a trade?

pgardn
01-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Let fewer teams in the playoffs. Space the games further apart so Manu and Duncan have time to recover.

After watching the clips last night, and the Thunder get pummeled, we are still a strong contender in the West.

Love these post loss posts so I will contribute with other teams.

FireMicoHalili
01-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Hi, I'm new here. :toast I've been tinkering with the trade machine for a while and I came up with a three-way trade among SA, UTA, and CLE.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aa2cqk3

For those too lazy to click:

SA gets:
Varejao
Bell
Casspi
Pargo
Leuer

SA gets a scrappy center to play alongside Duncan and fellow countryman Splitter. They also get Casspi, who they pined for in the draft way back. Pargo is an insurance to replace Mills; I remember them expressing interest in him a year ago. Jon Leuer will be the new Bonner. As for Bell, I think the Spurs have been interested in his defense and shooting from way back (please correct me if I'm wrong). This will be more favorable to the Spurs' cap situation since all other deals save for Varejao's will be expiring.

UTA gets:
S Jax (they don't have a character guy/shooter)
Gibson (to address back-up PG problem)
Bonner (to address their constant need for white guys)
Zeller (see Bonner)
Mills (to address back-up PG problem)

Nothing more than a salary dump for them, to enable them to play Kanter/Favors, and to give them two possible back-up
point guards, since Mo Williams has an injury, and because they don't have any decent back-up PGs. Zeller will be the new bench center to replace the spot left by Kanter/Favors, and Bonner will be the token white guy.

CLE gets:
Al Jefferson
Burks
Blair
Carroll
Murphy
+ picks

CLE gets a solid offensive option in the post who can resign with the team after the season ends. As it stands, Varejao is their only post presence, and his post game isn't fundamentally sound. Tristan Thompson is only 6'8", so the 6'11" Jefferson can offset the height deficit, to go along with some sound scoring. Burks will provide them fresher legs in the wing, and Blair is insurance for Thompson, in case the latter fails to put up good offensive numbers. TBH Blair can contribute in a fresh environment; he's driven because of a contract year. Carroll and Murphy are just fillers.

Do you guys think this is possible? I'm also banking on the growth of Tiago and Kawhi. Hopefully they get around just in time to provide us a viable fourth option; someone who can create shots on his own and take the pressure off Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili.

rascal
01-05-2013, 09:49 PM

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aozspuc

Pau for Jackson, Bonner, Neal, Mills

The Lakers get 4 three point threats, including the all important stretch 4 in Bonner which Howard needs to operate in the paint. Mills and Neal give them better back up point guards that Steve Blake, and Jackson is a legit defender and 3 point threat to allow World Peace to rest.

Unless someone decided to give up a superstar for Gasol, I don't think they could get a better set of role players than they could get from us to fit D'Antonis system.

Spurs depth chart would read

Parker/De Colo
Green/Manu
Leonard/??
Pau/Diaw
Duncan/Splitter

No way the Lakers trade Pau for the Spurs trash.

Drz
01-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Bonner is back to his usual ways -- the Spurs score more with him on the court than with any other player, and his defensive numbers are team-average. That's why his minutes have increased lately, imo --- the Spurs were looking for a different combination that might bring more success in the playoffs, and they haven't found one. I think they've realized their best chance, even in the playoffs, is with a floor spacing big who leads the NBA in 3pt %. Even if it's not ideal, it's their best option.

In other words, it's highly unlikely they'll trade Bonner. No team will value him the same way the Spurs do.

I think the best way to "turn" this team in a championship contender is to stand absolutely pat, unless you can rob another team (as the Spurs have so often done). Don't mess with the chemistry of a highly successful team.

FireMicoHalili
01-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Another trade I put up; I know most of us here in SpursTalk are skeptical especially with regards to shaking up the whole team chemistry thing, but hopefully this'll work in 2k13 at least. It's a three-way trade among SA, PHI, and SAC that will net us Cousins.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bd6w957

For those too lazy to click,

SA gets:

Salmons
Thompson
Cousins
Fredette

SA finally gets another talented big man in the disgruntled Cousins, who can make a turn-around (with regards to character; he's been solid this season with regards to stats) under the tutelage of the disciplinarian Gregg Popovich and the quiet Tim Duncan. Sacramento, chock full of bad contracts, will be shipping out Salmons ($8.1M, 3 years) and Thompson ($5.3M, 5 yrs), who will both be valuable to SA. Salmons can hit the three, and can maybe adjust to provide the Spurs with corner three shooting, while Thompson is a mobile big man who can thrive in Popovich's small ball sets. Fredette is sort of a salary dump, and his shooting will be valuable to the Spurs.

PHI gets:
SJax
Splitter
Brooks
Outlaw
Mills

PHI finally gets value in return for the Bynum trade. Sure, they're loaded at the wing spot, but they don't have a veteran presence that can surface once the playoffs start (although it's arguable they'd need that anyway; it's been fun seeing them grow). Splitter will be the big man Andrew Bynum was supposed to give the Sixers (or at least he can try...); it's better than having someone play for them than none at all. As is stands, LaVoy Allen currently starts for the Sixers, and Splitter will give them a taller, more solid option at center over the mercurial Spencer Hawes. Brooks and Mills are throw-ins who can give them better options at back-up PG; Outlaw will be there as insurance in the SF/PF slot.

SAC gets:
Bynum
Wright
Blair
Moultrie
Neal

The season hasn't been that bad for the young Kings, but it seems like the team is headed for the lottery again. They don't get much in value for Bynum, except for the salary dump and the possibility that he takes up the cudgels for the franchise and resigns with them to become their centerpiece. Wright is a better replacement for Outlaw; he is also an expiring deal, which can give them some cap relief coming into 2013's free agency. Blair and Moultrie will provide warm bodies in the paint while Bynum sits out the whole season. And Neal...will be the back-up point guard following the exodus of Brooks and Fredette. Also hoping Blair will finally put out his 20-20 games on a nightly basis (okay, a far reach, much like this post).

As it stands, the bars for the trade will be (1.) that Bynum won't be sure to resign with the Kings, as his deal is expiring, and Sacramento isn't exactly the place you want to play in; (2.) that the deal seriously affects the Spurs' cap flexibility in the long run, especially with the 'window closing' or the 'old age' schtick; and (3.) that there are better deals than this one, considering the Mavs and the Celts need a center more badly. What do you guys think?

Richie
01-05-2013, 10:47 PM
No way the Lakers trade Pau for the Spurs trash.

No doubt it's unlikely, but with Paus big contract, the way he has played this year and his injuries (tendinitis in both knees and plantar fasciitis in one foot) I'm not sure what his value is. The reality is that he's the only player they can trade to improve their team, and they don't need any more stars. They need a bench.

The way I see it, we have been running D'Antonis offence for 2 years, and Bonner et al are players that thrive in that scenario (in the regular season at least). I think that trade improves the Lakers drastically.

Boomersgold
01-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Another trade I put up; I know most of us here in SpursTalk are skeptical especially with regards to shaking up the whole team chemistry thing, but hopefully this'll work in 2k13 at least. It's a three-way trade among SA, PHI, and SAC that will net us Cousins.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bd6w957

For those too lazy to click,

SA gets:

Salmons
Thompson
Cousins
Fredette

SA finally gets another talented big man in the disgruntled Cousins, who can make a turn-around (with regards to character; he's been solid this season with regards to stats) under the tutelage of the disciplinarian Gregg Popovich and the quiet Tim Duncan. Sacramento, chock full of bad contracts, will be shipping out Salmons ($8.1M, 3 years) and Thompson ($5.3M, 5 yrs), who will both be valuable to SA. Salmons can hit the three, and can maybe adjust to provide the Spurs with corner three shooting, while Thompson is a mobile big man who can thrive in Popovich's small ball sets. Fredette is sort of a salary dump, and his shooting will be valuable to the Spurs.

PHI gets:
SJax
Splitter
Brooks
Outlaw
Mills

PHI finally gets value in return for the Bynum trade. Sure, they're loaded at the wing spot, but they don't have a veteran presence that can surface once the playoffs start (although it's arguable they'd need that anyway; it's been fun seeing them grow). Splitter will be the big man Andrew Bynum was supposed to give the Sixers (or at least he can try...); it's better than having someone play for them than none at all. As is stands, LaVoy Allen currently starts for the Sixers, and Splitter will give them a taller, more solid option at center over the mercurial Spencer Hawes. Brooks and Mills are throw-ins who can give them better options at back-up PG; Outlaw will be there as insurance in the SF/PF slot.

SAC gets:
Bynum
Wright
Blair
Moultrie
Neal

The season hasn't been that bad for the young Kings, but it seems like the team is headed for the lottery again. They don't get much in value for Bynum, except for the salary dump and the possibility that he takes up the cudgels for the franchise and resigns with them to become their centerpiece. Wright is a better replacement for Outlaw; he is also an expiring deal, which can give them some cap relief coming into 2013's free agency. Blair and Moultrie will provide warm bodies in the paint while Bynum sits out the whole season. And Neal...will be the back-up point guard following the exodus of Brooks and Fredette. Also hoping Blair will finally put out his 20-20 games on a nightly basis (okay, a far reach, much like this post).

As it stands, the bars for the trade will be (1.) that Bynum won't be sure to resign with the Kings, as his deal is expiring, and Sacramento isn't exactly the place you want to play in; (2.) that the deal seriously affects the Spurs' cap flexibility in the long run, especially with the 'window closing' or the 'old age' schtick; and (3.) that there are better deals than this one, considering the Mavs and the Celts need a center more badly. What do you guys think?

Again, doesn't Mills have to consent to the trade first. I doubt he'd do it because he likes playing under Pop and Brett Brown, the former Australian National coach.

Chinook
01-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Again, doesn't Mills have to consent to the trade first. I doubt he'd do it because he likes playing under Pop and Brett Brown, the former Australian National coach.

He does, but that isn't a huge issue. There's little financial incentive for him to negate the trade, which is why the rule exists in the first place. If he wants to stay for basketball reasons, I think that would backfire, because Pop would be less inclined to play him if he was trying the trade him in the first place.

FireMicoHalili
01-06-2013, 02:02 AM

Okay, if that's the case, maybe we can swap Mills with Neal, and CoJo takes up Neal's slot instead