PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Use Linkedin?

DMC
01-05-2013, 02:19 AM
If so, has it done anything good for you? I used it long ago but all it did was tell people I didn't want to talk to how to contact me, so there were people calling that I didn't really know asking me for a references and "could you give my friend a reference for this job at your company?"

It seemed a big thing for awhile but most of the people I know who used to use it stopped for some of the same reasons.

JudynTX
01-07-2013, 01:41 PM
I have a profile and I don't know why. :lol

GoodOdor
01-11-2013, 07:37 PM
I keep a fairly updated profile - most of the people I know say it's pretty much a must nowdays.

I've had people contact me for jobs through there, and I've had people who interviewed me go view my profile.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-11-2013, 08:03 PM
I keep mine pretty current, completely professional and have the link to it on my resume. When you're young and about to enter/recently entered the real world, it's an extremely useful tool to build your network and find people in the industry you're trying to enter.

DeadlyDynasty
01-11-2013, 08:07 PM
:lolRuxin from The League had a great line about LinkedIn...haven't kept mine up to date

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-11-2013, 09:03 PM
If so, has it done anything good for you? I used it long ago but all it did was tell people I didn't want to talk to how to contact me, so there were people calling that I didn't really know asking me for a references and "could you give my friend a reference for this job at your company?"

For someone in your shoes who already has a network and probably won't be needing a job from someone anytime soon, I could see why LinkedIn is more of a pain in the ass than something worth having.

For people in my position, using linkedin to contact someone you don't know/barely know asking for something is one of the worst ideas ever (at least in the accounting/finance industry). Adding a recruiter/professional you just met as a connection is fine, but hitting them up for shit on linkedin is stupid. Email/phone is still a much better form for that purpose.