01-05-2013, 02:54 AM
http://9to5mac.com/2013/01/04/no-microsoft-products-were-reported-stolen/

Trainwreck2100
01-05-2013, 04:30 AM
lol their employees had ipads and not surfaces

TDMVPDPOY
01-05-2013, 03:06 PM
speakin of MS

is it worth gettin win8 or stick to buyin win7?

Cry Havoc
01-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Win8 is good. Probably not worth the upgrade, but only because 7 is fantastic. I REALLY like the new task manager though.

CrazyOne
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Any good tutorials on using Win8 on a non-touchscreen laptop? My wife got a new one before Christmas and she absolutely hates it. When you get into IE, there are no controls to be found to open a new tab or open several windows at once. I can't stand it either, it is very non-intuitive if you've grown up with normal windows.

vander
01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
stupid opine/observation: Windows 8 isn't Windows, it's Microsoft Tiles with Windows support/compatibility

ahh the good ol' days when "Windows" was mind boggling

Cry Havoc
01-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Any good tutorials on using Win8 on a non-touchscreen laptop? My wife got a new one before Christmas and she absolutely hates it. When you get into IE, there are no controls to be found to open a new tab or open several windows at once. I can't stand it either, it is very non-intuitive if you've grown up with normal windows.

Simple.

Don't.

Use.

IE.

It's a crap browser.

Wild Cobra
01-15-2013, 03:11 AM
Simple.

Don't.

Use.

IE.

It's a crap browser.
The only thing it does well is import into excel.

CrazyOne
01-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks. Are you saying that other browsers will still show the menu bar and such in Windows 8? My beef has been that there is no obvious way to open a new tab, things like that.

Cry Havoc
01-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks. Are you saying that other browsers will still show the menu bar and such in Windows 8? My beef has been that there is no obvious way to open a new tab, things like that.

Yes, Firefox has it as an option. Not sure about chrome, I stopped using the menu bar a long time ago. :lol

For new tabs it's easy, there are + signs to the right of currently open tabs, and you can also use cntl + T

baseline bum
01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
LOL, Microsoft has such a shitty history with UIs. They finally got it right in 2000/XP and their apps from that generation and should have just stuck with what worked and worked well.

Cry Havoc
01-15-2013, 05:45 PM
LOL, Microsoft has such a shitty history with UIs. They finally got it right in 2000/XP and their apps from that generation and should have just stuck with what worked and worked well.

Windows 7 would not translate well to tablet devices, though. That's why they're pushing 8. It's a move that probably hurts in the short term but could benefit them in the long run, depending on how the Surface does.

ElNono
01-15-2013, 07:40 PM
I read here a while ago tablets are a fad though.... I think it was like 2-3 years ago :lol

Cry Havoc
01-15-2013, 07:59 PM
I read here a while ago tablets are a fad though.... I think it was like 2-3 years ago :lol

They kind of are IMO. They aren't a substitute for a real computer. I think they'll evolve into something with more utility. I guess that's not technically a fad but still.

MannyIsGod
01-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Tablets aren't a fad at all. The OS running tablets simply wasn't capable of doing all the tasks regular PCs are capable of. Thats obviously changing right now. I don't use my Touchpad for much more than internet surfing and reading but thats a lot of what I use my laptop for.

Anyway, I disliked Windows 8 right off the bat but I didn't find it very hard to adapt. I do like the way gestures work with the touchpad and the new start screen is just fine for finding programs. I actually like having the screen as opposed to the start menu. I guess the actual term for it Metro UI or whatever but all I know is I hit the windows button on my keyboard and it comes up.

Chrome has worked fine with it and I can open up new tabs with the button to the right of the last tab but I've gotten so used to the keyboard shortcut (cntrl - T) that I do that the vast majority of the time. I do understand how you might have a bit of difficulty adapting to it, though. If you have specific items you need help with, CO, post and maybe we can help. On the current issue I definitely agree with not using IE though.

ElNono
01-18-2013, 12:03 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/2rrw7kz.png

Paranoid Pop
01-18-2013, 12:24 PM

I was in that camp tbh, but now I'm thinking about buying a tablet and only having a tablet and a phone, with the tablet being connected to a big screen and bluetooth keyboard/mouse when I'm at home... Will probably wait for the second gen of windows 8 tablets tho before making the jump, the samsung ativ 700t seemed perfect at first but apparently there's plenty of horror stories with the keyboard dock...

I think Windows 8 is a great idea because no ones is doing a full desktop in a tablet right now but MS but at the same time RT makes it so confusing for most people, it's classic dumb MS marketing. I can't decide if Ballmer is underated or the terrible CEO some people make him out to be tbh...

scampers
01-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Surface with Win 8 Pro is supposed to be solid. I've played around with Win 8 on a touchscreen laptop and I have to admit, it's pretty nice.

Win 8 pretty terrible with just a mouse and keyboard though. Hard to get used to, and it's pretty annoying when you constantly mouse over one of the screen edges that pops up a menu.

Venti Quattro
01-04-2014, 06:48 AM
Anyone think that the Nokia 1520 would be good?

6.0" slate phablet form factor
2GB quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor
32GB internal + 64GB SD storage
LTE
20MP rear-facing camera
Latest version of Windows Phone 8

Specs-wise, it matches the profile of the Note II and Note III. No stylus though.

Mom's asking what phone to buy. She said no to Samsung Galaxy Note because that's all that she sees when she sees me and I'm close to recommending this to her?

leemajors
01-04-2014, 09:56 AM
http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/11/18/5116360/nokia-lumia-1520-review

TDMVPDPOY
01-14-2014, 06:38 AM
Anyone think that the Nokia 1520 would be good?

6.0" slate phablet form factor
2GB quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor
32GB internal + 64GB SD storage
LTE
20MP rear-facing camera
Latest version of Windows Phone 8

Specs-wise, it matches the profile of the Note II and Note III. No stylus though.

Mom's asking what phone to buy. She said no to Samsung Galaxy Note because that's all that she sees when she sees me and I'm close to recommending this to her?

brother just bought a sg note 3

i got a cousin who works at nokia in vietnam, his a engineer, dont think his a factory assembly worker though....going to ask him if he gets employee discount, that fkn brick retails for around 800bucks down here.....