PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Was prime Steve Nash better than this year's Chris Paul?

StrengthAndHonor
01-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm really curious. I never paid much attention to Steve Nash during his MVP days. I know he was great during his first MVP year and was even better the following MVP season.

Chris Paul has been unreal this year. IMO he's the leagues MVP. I mean seriously, only he can make this cast of misfits and a coach like Vinny Del Negro look like championship squad. Just to show his value, the Lakers made 2 huge runs when Paul was on the bench and quickly put the Clips up by double digits as soon as he checks in. He's very reminiscent of Phoenix Suns Steve Nash except I believe Paul is a better shooter and defender than Nash.

Was MVP Nash a better point guard than this year's Paul?

Malik Hairston
01-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Prime Nash's impact is undervalued on SpursTalk, you won't get unbiased arguments IMO..

However, I would take Paul..he's the best leader in the NBA, he plays on both ends of the court, he displays an intensity that is rarely seen in PGs, he controls the tempo as well as anybody I've ever seen, he can adapt to any system..

The problem with Paul is that he often loses scoring aggression, tbh..I'm not a fan of shoot-first PGs, but I'd like to see the PG score when his team needs a basket, assuming he's one of their top 2 options..Paul has been more aggressive as a Clipper, to be fair, but we have yet to see him dominate in the playoffs, including deferring to Jennaro Pargo in the biggest game of his career..

StrengthAndHonor
01-05-2013, 03:37 PM
I always see CP3 like Isiah Thomas. A tough PG who can score with the best of them while Nash IMO was like Mark Price but with a better vision.

Clipper Nation
01-05-2013, 03:40 PM
He's putting up slightly less assists per game than Nash did in his MVP seasons, but Nash played more minutes per game than Paul is playing this year... he's also easily the better defender, most notably averaging more steals per game this year than Nash did in either MVP season... his assist percentage is roughly the same as Nash's MVP years, while his offensive and defensive ratings are better... it's close, but I might take this year's CP3 over prime Nash just because of his defense...

Clipper Nation
01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Paul has been more aggressive as a Clipper, to be fair, but we have yet to see him dominate in the playoffs, including deferring to Jennaro Pargo in the biggest game of his career..

He was very clutch for us against the Grizzlies last year until he got injured...

TDMVPDPOY
01-05-2013, 03:52 PM
disregard nash defense

this clown could score more then what he avg, i dunno why everytime he penetrates into the lane he always has an open layup but prefers to PNR with amare or whoever to pad his assist stat...defenders dont even usually attempt to block him from any angle everytime he penetrated cause they know his going to pass it, when he could easily have 2pts...

mavs>spurs
01-05-2013, 03:55 PM
assists are such a meaningless stats that can be influenced by overzealous stat keepers and pace of play..disregard nash's inflated stats from playing in d'antoni's system and the flashy pretty orange jerseys and just look at them as players with your eyes. is it really even close? paul plays both ends, he's the slightly better scorer, and more versatile meaning he doesnt need to play fun and gun to be effective. chris paul is just as good in the half court as he is in the open floor. no contest imho.

StrengthAndHonor
01-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Nash' only advantage is his shooting accuracy. I just realized he posted a historic 62 and 65 TS% during his MVP years :wow

TDMVPDPOY
01-05-2013, 04:16 PM
paul beats him in the art of flopping

Clipper Nation
01-05-2013, 04:19 PM
paul beats him in the art of flopping
Nash has gotten people suspended with his flops, tbh... :lol

Mugen
01-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Nash has gotten people suspended with his flops, tbh... :lol

:lol true story.

irishock
01-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Yes. But if Paul's jumper becomes more consistent then he's better.

mercos
01-05-2013, 06:02 PM
It's close, but I would take Paul over prime Nash. Offensively they are extremely close, but Paul is a much better defender.