PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio third fastest growing city in US, fastest in Texas.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Census: San Antonio ranks among top-growing cities in U.S.

San Antonio is the third-fastest growing city in America and the fastest growing city in Texas, according to figures released Thursday by the U.S. Census Bureau.

From July 1, 2003 to July 1, 2004, San Antonio gained 22,095 new residents, an increase of 1.8 percent.

The Alamo City's estimated population as of 2004 stands at nearly 1.24 million. In the official 2000 census, San Antonio had a population of 1.14 million, making it the eighth largest city in America.

Among the fastest-growing cities, however, only Phoenix and Los Angeles gained more new residents than San Antonio. Phoenix gained 29,826 new people, while L.A. gained 26,128 additional people.

Rounding out the top five were Las Vegas with 17,923 and Fort Worth with 17,872 people. Elsewhere in Texas, El Paso gained 10,012 people and Austin gained 8,386. The two Texas cities ranked 13th and 22nd on the list, respectively.

To compile the list, the U.S. Census Bureau examined cities with populations in excess of 100,000 and ranked them according to the number of new residents.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This is just city growth. This is also pure growth and not annexation of land.

The metro is also going at a pretty fast clip of 21.6% a year.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-30-2005, 03:02 PM
San Antonio grows on pace to top San Diego

Lisa Marie Gómez
Express-News Staff Writer

If San Antonio continues to grow at the same rate it has been going since 2000, the city will leapfrog over San Diego by 2010, according to new Census data released today.

San Antonio had the third largest numerical increase in the nation when more than 22,000 people moved to San Antonio from July 1, 2003, to July 1, 2004, which has been a steady average since 2000.

“In a real sense, San Antonio is the fastest-growing big city in Texas,” said Steve Murdock, director of the Institute for Demographic and Socioeconomic Research and the Texas State Data Center, both at UTSA.

If the trend continues, that's when San Antonio is expected to be the seventh largest city in the nation, pushing San Diego to eighth on the list.

Just last year, Census numbers moved San Antonio from ninth to eighth on the list when it bypassed Dallas.

Phoenix, with an increase of almost 30,000 people, came in first on the list and Los Angeles, with a little more than 26,000 people, came in second.

Las Vegas was fourth on the list with a 17,923 increase, and Fort Worth was a close fifth with 17,872.

Lt. Col. Kurt Pfitzner and his wife, Leigh, who just moved to San Antonio Saturday, see why people would want to live here.

“It's a very nice place from the job perspective,” said Kurt, as he took a break from unpacking dozens of boxes at his new home in a new neighborhood called Iron Mountain on the North Side. “It's a great place to live.”

His wife quickly pointed out how much cheaper everything is here compared to Montgomery, Ala., from which they moved.

“I had my cash register receipt from Montgomery and my receipt from San Antonio and everything is cheaper here,” said Leigh as she handed over an ice cold beer to her husband to help him stay cool.

And they couldn't believe how inexpensive their new house was.

“I bought our house in Montgomery for $105 per square foot and sold it at $110 (per square foot), and here I bought this one at $83 a square foot,” Kurt said. “I couldn't believe it.”

While cities like San Antonio, Fort Worth, El Paso and Austin seem to keep growing, several others are going the opposite direction.

Places such as Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis and San Francisco are all shrinking.

In 2001, Chicago's population was 2,896,304, but by last year, its population dropped a little more than 34,000 people.

And San Jose, Calif., bumped Detroit off the Top 10 Biggest Cities list. San Jose has been steadily climbing in population from 898,069 in 2000 to 904,522 in 2004, while Detroit's population numbers fell from 947,859 in 2000 to 900,189 in 2004.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA063005.census.en.5e4d466f.html

SWC Bonfire
06-30-2005, 03:08 PM
While cities like San Antonio, Fort Worth, El Paso and Austin seem to keep growing, several others are going the opposite direction.

Places such as Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis and San Francisco are all shrinking.

Great, here come more damn yankees and damn Californians.:lol

3rdCoast
06-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Now if you think I'm happy down there
You're on the right track
And you ain't just whistlin Dixie
You ain't just slappin your knee
I'm a grandson of the Southland
An heir to the Confederacy
You ain't just whistlin Dixie
Cause the cattle call's callin' me home
So put me down there where I wanna be
Plant my feet with Robert E. Lee
Bury my bones under a cypress tree
And never let me roam

You Aint Just Whistlin Dixie
Bellamy Brothers

Texas is where its at. Who doesnt love the south?

bigzak25
06-30-2005, 03:18 PM
this thread is useless without pics... :lmao

Extra Stout
06-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Is this thread talking about population or waistlines?

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Is this thread talking about population or waistlines?

IQ ranks, and ours has sky rocketed since you've left.

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 03:32 PM
San Antonio gained 22,095 new residents

thats the official #. I think we all know it's higher than that.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-30-2005, 03:41 PM
thats the official #. I think we all know it's higher than that.

That number is just the city. Not imcluding the metro.

I'd think the total number of residents would be in the 50k - 60k range for the year.

And I don't get the subtle meaning of official you used.

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 03:47 PM

And I don't get the subtle meaning of official you used.

oh, you know what I mean.

or have you never gone downtown & picked up a couple guys to mow your lawn and paint the trim?

bigzak25
06-30-2005, 03:50 PM
downtown??? mouse lives off of fredricksburg.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-30-2005, 03:51 PM
oh, you know what I mean.

or have you never gone downtown & picked up a couple guys to mow your lawn and paint the trim?

Illegals?

Many friend, last word I got was that most cities have on avg. up to 500,000 undocumented people living in the city.

I heard SA's was about 400,000 undocumented people, and a place like Vegas or Atlanta, 700,000 undocumented people.

But illegals are EVERYWHERE dude.

scott
06-30-2005, 05:00 PM
The most important question to ask from this information is...

Why the hell are people moving to El Paso?

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-30-2005, 05:34 PM

From July 2003 through July 2004, El Paso gained just a little over 7,000 people.

I would guess to say legal people from Mexico and retirees. Also, El Paso has a pretty large miltary pressence.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-30-2005, 05:35 PM
el paso owns las vegas and phoenix

Owns them? Like a person owns a TV? If so, could be But owns in the "I fucked your Mom bitch, I pwnz you!" sort of way?

If so... no.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-30-2005, 05:37 PM
(insert tasteless mexican joke here)

Two Mexicans in a bar walk into a bar... Michael Jackson!

ObiwanGinobili
06-30-2005, 06:16 PM
But illegals are EVERYWHERE dude.

like I didn't know that. how enlightning.

blackbucket
06-30-2005, 10:23 PM

Two words.

http://littlereggie.homestead.com/files/CHICOS.jpg
http://www.southwestdrags.com/races/2004/cruises/chicos0504/072.jpg
Those who have been treated to the delicacy that is Chicos will surely understand! :lol