PDA

View Full Version : Splitter

KL2
01-05-2013, 08:25 PM
I was thinking right now that he may not be a Spur next year, he's going to be a free agent and unless the Spurs resign him now I think he'll get some big offers too good to pass up in the off season. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets offers of 10 mill+ a year (big men are always overpaid ex. Asik), but would the Spurs be willing to pay that price? I really doubt it.

The Spurs pretty much had one of the best C's in the entire NBA and only used him for what, 1 out of the 3 years they signed him? Instead he rotted on the bench, awesome.

TrainOfThought5
01-05-2013, 08:34 PM
I was thinking right now that he may not be a Spur next year, he's going to be a free agent and unless the Spurs resign him now I think he'll get some big offers too good to pass up in the off season. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets offers of 10 mill+ a year (big men are always overpaid ex. Asik), but would the Spurs be willing to pay that price? I really doubt it.

The Spurs pretty much had one of the best C's in the entire NBA and only used him for what, 1 out of the 3 years they signed him? Instead he rotted on the bench, awesome.

Tim Duncan??

FuzzyLumpkins
01-05-2013, 08:35 PM
THis is a legitimate concern but Manu is his best friend on the team and he truly appears to enjoy playing here. Jax contract comes off the books as will a couple of others. We should be able to make him a compelling offer.

What I am curious as to what the rules are regarding getting him an extension. ie why are we not negotiating an extension right now?

TrainOfThought5
01-05-2013, 08:38 PM
i dont think we're looking enough at the big picture... our golden years are over. i submit we put together the best Splitter package possible and trade for Cousins, and start transitioning to the next era.

BillMc
01-05-2013, 08:42 PM
While some of you will probably have specific examples that will refute this, I can't remember the Duncan era Spurs losing one of their own that they really wanted to keep to free agency. Usually RC and Pop get it done at a relative discount. The SA free agent rule of thumb is we don't often attract the big names, and we don't often lose our key players (unless we want to lose them.)

Richie
01-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Lets get this straight, he only has a $7.5m cap hold. That means if he wants more than that, we can use our cap space (reduced by $7.5m because of his hold) and sign him afterwards to a big contract if need be.

i.e. if we have $22.5m cap space, we can spend $15m on free agents (and Manu, possibly Jax) and then resign him using his Bird rights and go over the cap to do it.

TrainOfThought5
01-05-2013, 08:48 PM
furthermore... Splitter wouldnt be worth the money. hes not a consistent scoring threat in the post. his midrange game is non existent. hes not a shotblocker, dominant defender, and is consistently pushed aside in the playoffs. Spurs are value guys. and his finesse game and the PnR ability isnt worth the 8digit salary it would take to resign him. if we're gonna overpay, id rather it be for someone halfway dominant, who could shoulder the load after Duncan retires.

RD2191
01-05-2013, 08:52 PM
he actually does have a pretty decent mid range game, maybe even as good as ibakas. youtube some of his old games and you will see him hit the mid range shot with ease. i think pop and company screwed with his head and his shot.

jermaine
01-05-2013, 08:53 PM
He cant finish well around the rim.

Brunodf
01-05-2013, 08:55 PM
he actually does have a pretty decent mid range game, maybe even as good as ibakas. youtube some of his old games and you will see him hit the mid range shot with ease. i think pop and company screwed with his head and his shot.

They changed his mechanics, u can forget about those mid ranges

pgardn
01-05-2013, 08:55 PM

Tiago one of the best centers.

He is definitely top 30...

TrainOfThought5
01-05-2013, 08:58 PM

GTFOH talkin about what he did in europe. he was an MVP in europe. means jack shit over here.
additionally, everybody makes the shot in their highlight reels. youve got 5 minutes of evidence. ive got 3 years that says otherwise.

TheSkeptic
01-05-2013, 09:01 PM

Not true at all.

I'm thinking that in the market he gets anywhere from $8 million-$10 million. That sounds about right for a big who puts up the numbers he does.

As far as the Spurs being able to re-sign him though, I think that a discount or a back loaded contract isn't out of the question. Especially if Pop and RC can sell him on an increased role...

RD2191
01-05-2013, 09:03 PM
you're wrong. he can still hit that shot with ease.

TrainOfThought5
01-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Tiago one of the best centers.

He is definitely top 30...

lol.... top 30 isnt "one of the best". hell, Danny Green is a "Top 30" 2 guard. and he blows wide open layups at the rim. LOL.

pgardn
01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
lol.... top 30 isnt "one of the best". hell, Danny Green is a "Top 30" 2 guard. and he blows wide open layups at the rim. LOL.

Sarcasm fail...

TrainOfThought5
01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
you're wrong. he can still hit that shot with ease.

the man just started making free throws withOUT ease... i think youre being a litte hyperbolic at BEST considering he hasnt displayed the first evidence of midrange capability since hes crossed the pond. with or without ease.

TrainOfThought5
01-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Sarcasm fail...

except that it wasnt sarcasm. danny green is a top 30 2 guard. he does blow layups. and he certainly isnt"one of the best two guards". standard analogy, TBH

Splits
01-05-2013, 09:39 PM

Dude, Abaka is like the 2nd or 3rd best mid range shooter in the entire league.

TDMVPDPOY
01-05-2013, 09:41 PM
splitter starting is avg rasho like numbers...

if the spurs had a pass first PG instead of hero, rest of the cast would see a increase in production

PingPong
01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Matt Splitter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7b6AE7EvpU

:lol

therealtruth
01-05-2013, 10:27 PM

That's the sad truth. Even at his best now. He doesn't approach how good he was skills wise in Europe. He's better of going somewhere else that will allow him to maximize his skills.

TrainOfThought5
01-05-2013, 10:37 PM

if the spurs had a pass first PG instead of hero, rest of the cast would see a increase in production

i get the parker schtick. i really do. his game isnt good enough to carry us to victory. but thats not his fault, hes french. what we nees is better defense preferably interior. preferably from Splitter, and that has nothing to do with Parker.

Obstructed_View
01-05-2013, 10:49 PM
He's also injury-prone. Worst of all, he shies away from contact like David Robinson did.

pgardn
01-05-2013, 10:55 PM
except that it wasnt sarcasm. danny green is a top 30 2 guard. he does blow layups. and he certainly isnt"one of the best two guards". standard analogy, TBH
It was attempted sarcasm on my part concerning another post...

pgardn
01-05-2013, 10:57 PM
It was attempted sarcasm on MY part concerning another post...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Trade him for Anderson Varejao.

As for Cousins, NO WAY we trade for him. He won't listen to anyone, so Pop would never okay that (and rightfully so, he's a MEGA-CANCER), even given his physical talents.

timaios
01-05-2013, 11:13 PM

Obviously, the Spurs being the number 1 offense is not enough !

exstatic
01-05-2013, 11:13 PM
While some of you will probably have specific examples that will refute this, I can't remember the Duncan era Spurs losing one of their own that they really wanted to keep to free agency. Usually RC and Pop get it done at a relative discount. The SA free agent rule of thumb is we don't often attract the big names, and we don't often lose our key players (unless we want to lose them.)

Jack in 2003.

BillMc
01-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Jack in 2003.

I could be wrong on this (I admit) but I recall they made Jack a reasonable offer, but he had unreasonable expectations. Eventually he settled for the Hawks offer, way below what he and his agent thought they'd get. But, yes, that is one that got away. True.

Mel_13
01-06-2013, 12:20 AM
What I am curious as to what the rules are regarding getting him an extension. ie why are we not negotiating an extension right now?

Splitter is not eligible for an extension. Even though he was a first round draft pick, he was signed to contract using the MLE. His contract is for three years; contracts like his must be at least four years in length in order to be extended.

Splitter will be a free agent this summer even if the Spurs reach an agreement on terms for a new deal before then. He can't sign a new contract until after the July moratorium. If they don't have an agreement in place by then, they will certainly tender the necessary qualifying offer to make him a restricted free agent.

Stalin
01-06-2013, 08:04 AM
not sure if sa is good enough for the golden god, IMO TBH

DapDaGenius
01-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Trade him for Anderson Varejao.

As for Cousins, NO WAY we trade for him. He won't listen to anyone, so Pop would never okay that (and rightfully so, he's a MEGA-CANCER), even given his physical talents.

"Mega-cancer"...find another word to describe him. That's a pathetic insult and plus you've been on repeat with that shit for a while now.

Raven
01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Centers with proper maturity, defensive awareness and offensive skill are hard to find, we should sign him long term while we can for a reasonable price..

BRs.Ganso
01-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Splitter for Varejao

"young" talent to Cleveland

immediate results to San Antonio.

Paranoid Pop
01-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Centers with proper maturity, defensive awareness and offensive skill are hard to find, we should sign him long term while we can for a reasonable price.. There's plenty of bigs with better defense/rebounding, qualities that are much more important than being able to play the pnr when one play next to Tim.

Captivus
01-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Tiago is what, 28 years old now?
I would keep Tiago for a reasonable price, we know he cant lead the team but he is a good asset to have.
I think if the Spurs trade him (now that his value is higher than ever), the effect on winnings is going to be noticeable, i mean, he is contributing for the team.
But, if they do trade him, maybe they can get 2 young players and start rebuilding a little while the Big 3 is still there.
I dont know...at some point we have to realize that the Big 3 era is ending, and we will probably have a few bad years.
We can avoid this by getting young talent now at the expense of winning more games now.
The question that i always ask is: Start rebuilding now and not be a contender or risk everything trying to get 1 more championship to the big 3... and after that....only god knows...

biskvito
01-06-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure Spurs is the best place for Splitter, but I think he will try to stay in SA as long as possible.

CGD
01-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Splitter will get paid to be sure, but what's nice about the Duncan contract is that it frames expectations. Not that he'd be a lock to get it anyway, but its hard for spltter to demand much more than 9m/yr when Tim Duncan is earning 10m.

I think the spurs keep him without much problem. The one variable I do see posing an issue is the offers that Wolves center Pekovic could get this summer. That may set the market for good centers.

Brunodf
01-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Splitter will get paid to be sure, but what's nice about the Duncan contract is that it frames expectations. Not that he'd be a lock to get it anyway, but its hard for spltter to demand much more than 9m/yr when Tim Duncan is earning 10m.

I think the spurs keep him without much problem. The one variable I do see posing an issue is the offers that Wolves center Pekovic could get this summer. That may set the market for good centers.

7m/yr is fair enough...

therealtruth
01-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Surprisingly Duncan is showing he's worth more than his contract this season. He's having a career season.

AFBlue
01-06-2013, 11:38 PM
7m/yr is fair enough...

Omer Asik, a severely limited offensive post player got $8M/yr. It's unrealistic to expect the Spurs to bring back Splitter for anything less than that.

Richie
01-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Omer Asik, a severely limited offensive post player got $8M/yr. It's unrealistic to expect the Spurs to bring back Splitter for anything less than that.

Asik is a far superior defensive player and rebounder to Tiago though. However I do agree, Tiago will get more than the $7m Asik got, I think $8-$10m is about right.

Paranoid Pop
01-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Omer Asik, a severely limited offensive post player got $8M/yr. It's unrealistic to expect the Spurs to bring back Splitter for anything less than that. Asik is obviously way better than Splitter who is also limited in the post, can backup a PG, ugly hook and so on. Asik is also a defensive anchor and a better rebounder so it's not even close...

Paranoid Pop
01-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Asik is a far superior defensive player and rebounder to Tiago though. However I do agree, Tiago will get more than the $7m Asik got, I think $8-$10m is about right. 8-10 Millions is about what McGee or Ilysova got, both of them would be 100 times better next to Tim...

Richie
01-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Asik is obviously way better than Splitter who is also limited in the post, can backup a PG, ugly hook and so on. Asik is also a defensive anchor and a better rebounder so it's not even close...

It's wrong to compare him to Asiks contract though, because Asik is a bargain for Houston.

AFBlue
01-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Asik is a far superior defensive player and rebounder to Tiago though. However I do agree, Tiago will get more than the $7m Asik got, I think $8-$10m is about right.

Better rebounder yes. But, to call Asik a far superior defensive player is to underrate Splitter. I also think his offensive game (low post and feel for the pick-and-roll) is far superior to that of Asik. I know you agreed with me on his likely price tag, but I do feel like you're underestimating him from a skill perspective.

Paranoid Pop
01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
7m/yr is fair enough... Agreed, it's the max they should give imo.

Brunodf
01-06-2013, 11:53 PM
8-10 Millions is about what McGee or Ilysova got, both of them would be 100 times better next to Tim...

:lmaoThinking that McGee would be smart enough to play next to Tim and not kill the offense:lol

Brunodf
01-06-2013, 11:54 PM

You are crazy, 8-10 mil for 10points/5 rebs? :bang

Paranoid Pop
01-06-2013, 11:55 PM
:lmaoThinking that McGee would be smart enough to play next to Tim and not kill the offense:lol Man I'm not even joking, his wing span/shot blocking would make us so much better defensively, he might actually bother Ibaka you know... Also on O when playing with Tim, Splitter mostly stand next to the rim while Duncan shoots jumpers, it's not really rocket science...

Brunodf
01-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Man I('m not even joking, his wing span/ shot blocking would make us so much better defensively, he might actually bother Ibaka you know... Also on O, Splitter mostly stand next to the rim while Duncan shoots jumpers, it's not really rocket science...

So why Blair/Timmy didn't work?

AFBlue
01-06-2013, 11:59 PM
8-10 Millions is about what McGee or Ilysova got, both of them would be 100 times better next to Tim...

Not that I agree with the substance of this statement, but when did the Spurs have the chance to sign either of those two players?

Paranoid Pop
01-06-2013, 11:59 PM
So why Blair/Timmy didn't work? Now Blair is shot, in the past it worked very well vs the Thunder if you remember correctly and Blair is not half the rebounder/defender McGee is. I'd agree you'd have to start Manu to add some playmaking since Tiago is a better passer, but I'd start him even with our current bigs...

Richie
01-07-2013, 12:00 AM

Asik was 3pts/5 rebs, Would you have not given him the contract Houston gave him?

Brunodf
01-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Now Blair is shot, in the past it worked very well vs the Thunder if you remember correctly and Blair is not half the rebounder/defender McGee is. I'd agree you'd have to start Manu to add some playmaking since Tiago is a better passer, but I'd start him even with our current bigs...

Idk, Mcgee is inconsistent, not very clever and i don't think he is worth of his contract...I would take D.West...

Richie
01-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Idk, Mcgee is inconsistent, not very clever and i don't he is worth of his contract... But i would take D.West...

David West would be excellent on our team. Hopefully we can resign Splitter AND sign West

AFBlue
01-07-2013, 12:08 AM

Asik averaged what last year? What did DeAndre Jordan average before he got paid $10M/yr? Likewise for McGee, Nene, and so on. If you're big and show some skill or even the promise of some skill you get paid. Hell, Kwame Brown got a second fat contract even after everyone knew he was a bust.

Despite the weird-looking hook shot, Splitter is an incredibly efficient player on both ends of the court and is entering his prime years with NBA experience. I expect him to get offers around $10M a year and if the Spurs think he can be a good player alongside Duncan as well as independent of him, he'll get the same from them.

Brunodf
01-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Asik was 3pts/5 rebs, Would you have not given him the contract Houston gave him?

But Asik was underplayed in Chicago, great defensive player, always healthy, but yeah, i wouldn't make that kind of gamble...

Paranoid Pop
01-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Asik averaged what last year? What did DeAndre Jordan average before he got paid $10M/yr? Likewise for McGee, Nene, and so on. If you're big and show some skill or even the promise of some skill you get paid. Hell, Kwame Brown got a second fat contract even after everyone knew he was a bust. Despite the weird-looking hook shot, Splitter is an incredibly efficient player on both ends of the court and is entering his prime years with NBA experience. I expect him to get offers around $10M a year and if the Spurs think he can be a good player alongside Duncan as well as independent of him, he'll get the same from them. Then they shoud trade him now or sign and trade him in the off season.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-07-2013, 12:23 AM
peepee, Splitter is showing to be pretty good at chasing the Ryan Anderson types around the perimeter. His awareness will help him more than a McGee who more or less charges at shots from the weakside. Bigs charging at penetration is how Ibaka gets open jumpers in the first place.

And the Spurs run a motion offense. You know a guard will hand the ball off run towards the baseline and back through a couple of screens set by multiple guys, get the ball back on the other side and run a high pick and roll. Do this over and again with a sprinkling of called pays. You know: Spurs basketball. Splitter doesn't just stand there like he did last year and he is still getting better at it. He has not been seeing the court with the starters for a month yet.

If there is one thing that Tiago excels at it is the pnr game. Both offensively and defensively. He guards the pnr better than Duncan and lightyears ahead of the turd towers. He is great at zoning it up and shielding the rim. He uses his size and mobility and just rides the play away from the bucket. He doesn't foul a lot doing it.

Considering how his shot transformation has taken place on the stripe its not a huge leap to think that he can hit a 10-15 footer if he puts in work like he has so far. His main issues are his small hands which give him ball control issues and at-best average core and upper body strength. Reps with the new shot will definitely pay dividends but he cannot do anything about his hands and he may have plateaued strength wise.

That being said, there is a huge void in big man talent in the NBA as evidenced with you promoting Javele McGee as a desirable replacement.

AFBlue
01-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Then they shoud trade him now or sign and trade him in the off season.

Trading him now makes no sense because he's clearly being integrated with Timmy and is the only productive big outside of Duncan. They're playing too well to shake it up by dealing a major piece.

And while a sign-and-trade is possible, it takes a bunch of factors to make it happen...team over cap, Splitter wanting to sign there, and assets the Spurs want in return. I actually think there will be more teams out there with cap space looking for centers than there will be quality centers. But, a sign-and-trade could happen.

spurraider21
01-07-2013, 12:33 AM
this team is being realistic. we are only going to be truly competitive while tim is around (unless something magical falls into our lap)... so they are going to do what it takes to win now. we've been hearing about the "closing window" for years now, and the window is over when tim is gone

007nites
01-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Splitter is too tall. This is why he must go. We need someone who is 6'9" or under.

Paranoid Pop
01-07-2013, 12:41 AM
peepee, Splitter is showing to be pretty good at chasing the Ryan Anderson types around the perimeter. As evidenced by him getting torched by Ibaka from the perimeter?
His awareness will help him more than a McGee who more or less charges at shots from the weakside. Bigs charging at penetration is how Ibaka gets open jumpers in the first place. McGee would offer rim protection, quicker/more efficent close out on stretch PF and better rebounding.
And the Spurs run a motion offense. You know a guard will hand the ball off run towards the baseline and back through a couple of screens set by multiple guys, get the ball back on the other side and run a high pick and roll. Do this over and again with a sprinkling of called pays. You know: Spurs basketball. Splitter doesn't just stand there like he did last year and he is still getting better at it. He has not been seeing the court with the starters for a month yet. Splitter doesn't get any play called for him with Tim on the floor, so really his offensive skills don't matter that much, especially since he has no range and is not a good rebounder, thus can't help that much playing off the ball.
If there is one thing that Tiago excels at it is the pnr game. Both offensively and defensively. He guards the pnr better than Duncan and lightyears ahead of the turd towers. He is great at zoning it up and shielding the rim. He uses his size and mobility and just rides the play away from the bucket. He doesn't foul a lot doing it. Offensively yes, defensively he's average, Tim just doesn't have the mobility to be good at it anymore.
Considering how his shot transformation has taken place on the stripe its not a huge leap to think that he can hit a 10-15 footer if he puts in work like he has so far. His main issues are his small hands which give him ball control issues and at-best average core and upper body strength. Reps with the new shot will definitely pay dividends but he cannot do anything about his hands and he may have plateaued strength wise. 28 years old who got hacked last year if gonna develop a reliable jumper... Don't see it, his FT form doesn't inspire confidence..
That being said, there is a huge void in big man talent in the NBA as evidenced with you promoting Javele McGee as a desirable replacement. McGee has the potential to be very good and even great in the precise role he would have with the Spurs.

spurs10
01-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Splitter is too tall. This is why he must go. We need someone who is 6'9" or under.
I'm also very concerned that he's making way too many of his freethrows lately.

chapnis
01-07-2013, 01:21 AM
I'm also very concerned that he's making way too many of his freethrows lately.

Additionally, it is worrying that he is developing a better chemistry with Tim.

TD 21
01-07-2013, 02:02 AM
Surprisingly Duncan is showing he's worth more than his contract this season. He's having a career season.

Actually, that's not surprising at all, seeing as how he was worth significantly more even before this season started. He only took a number that "low" (relatively speaking, of course) in order to essentially bring back the entire team, while adding De Colo and avoiding the tax. In other words, he did Holt a favor.

I don't think it really matters what Asik got, what Pekovic will get or what any other comparable center has gotten recently. It's clear that, on this team, even with their upcoming financial flexibility, he will not max out . . . and I'm confident that he'll not only understand that before negotiations even commence, but he'll be fine with it, too. I expect him to re-sign for 4 years/$26-30M.

Richie
01-07-2013, 02:14 AM
Even at $30m/4yr that would only require starting him at $6.6m on a backloaded contract. Would be fantastic for our chances of signing someone in free agency. At $26/4, that equates to around a starting salary of $5.9m

FkLA
01-07-2013, 02:57 AM
Splitter doesnt finish well around the rim? :lol

He may not slam it on guys but the golden god is one of the best finishing bigman in the league. Those lay-ups he finishes of the pick and roll may look easy, but not many centers have that ability tbh.

biskvito
01-07-2013, 04:30 AM
According to Pop, Splitter is "every coach’s dream":
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/01/02/popovich-on-splitters-rise-it-helps-timmy-a-lot/

chapnis
01-07-2013, 04:51 AM
I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to leave the Spurs. Tiago probably feels more at home here, contributing to that would be the international style and players in the team.

TDMVPDPOY
01-07-2013, 05:03 AM
his chasing asik money, or spurs going to low ball him with a rasho like deal

chapnis
01-07-2013, 05:09 AM
I don't see the Spurs low-balling him and I don't think Tiago Claus (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-5OUpJCQAEUJjN.jpg:large) will get any huge offers.

Bruno
01-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Spurs are in a really comfortable situation to re-sign Splitter. They are in a great shape salary cape wise and Splitter will be a restricted free agent. I'm no saying it's a given Spurs will re-sign him but they are clearly in the driver's seat.

AFBlue
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Spurs are in a really comfortable situation to re-sign Splitter. They are in a great shape salary cape wise and Splitter will be a restricted free agent. I'm no saying it's a given Spurs will re-sign him but they are clearly in the driver's seat.

I didn't realize Splitter's free agency would be restricted. That certainly does improve the likelihood that he either returns or the Spurs receive value in a sign-and-trade scenario.

AFBlue
01-07-2013, 01:10 PM
McGee would offer rim protection, quicker/more efficent close out on stretch PF and better rebounding.... McGee has the potential to be very good and even great in the precise role he would have with the Spurs.

Why do you continue to pimp McGee as if he's an impending free agent or being made remotely available by the Nuggets?

TheSkeptic
01-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Trading him now makes no sense because he's clearly being integrated with Timmy and is the only productive big outside of Duncan. They're playing too well to shake it up by dealing a major piece.

And while a sign-and-trade is possible, it takes a bunch of factors to make it happen...team over cap, Splitter wanting to sign there, and assets the Spurs want in return. I actually think there will be more teams out there with cap space looking for centers than there will be quality centers. But, a sign-and-trade could happen.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking as well. David West (who isn't really a center imo) will probably be the marquee big man free agent this summer and as such teams will be more likely to overpay other bigs.

In Tiago's case, I think that what would make him more compelling to any team with a point guard that runs a decent pick and roll is how he plays without Tim. Games like versus Utah, Phoenix, and Houston last year and even Miami this year where he clearly showed that he can step up and that a team could be competitive with him as one of its top bigs. The fact that he was able to perform while playing mostly with guards like De Colo, Patty Mills, and Gary Neal and "bigs" like Blair and Bonner would be very encouraging if I was a team who lost out on David West (or whoever) and I was still in the market for a decent big.

Worst-case scenario they'd be getting an efficient big who can defend the perimeter/the pick and roll, rotate, and rebound a bit for around 12-15/8-10 in a full 30 minutes.

Send him to a big man camp during the offseason where he can learn post fundamentals or develop a short jumpshot and suddenly you're looking at a player with quite a bit of upside to go along with that high floor. Not bad at all during a free agency period where there aren't too many quality bigs on the market.

This is all moot though since Splitter probably stays in SA.

AFBlue
01-07-2013, 05:11 PM
I would rate the top FA centers like this...

1) Dwight Howard
2) Al Jefferson
3) Tiago Splitter

If we're including PFs, I'd probably slot Josh Smith ahead of Splitter with Millsap even and West just behind. But teams will prioritize a true center and Splitter will be high on someone's list for the exact reason you stated...experience and ability in the pick-and-roll game.

Mel_13
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
I would rate the top FA centers like this...

1) Dwight Howard
2) Al Jefferson
3) Tiago Splitter

If we're including PFs, I'd probably slot Josh Smith ahead of Splitter with Millsap even and West just behind. But teams will prioritize a true center and Splitter will be high on someone's list for the exact reason you stated...experience and ability in the pick-and-roll game.

Pekovic will be a restricted free agent this summer. He'll attract as much interest as Splitter, probably more.

TheSkeptic
01-07-2013, 05:29 PM
For some reason I had completely forgotten about Dwight Howard and Al Jefferson. :lol

Wow. So the crop isn't as bad as I thought.

I agree with you Mel. Pekovic is really good. Minnesota would be foolish to let him go imo. Out of those names I think Howard, Jefferson, and Smith are the most likely to change teams. West too.

Splitter I think stays in San Antonio but should be slotted somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd tier when it comes to available bigs I'd say.