PDA

View Full Version : Sam Young Anyone?

jon123spurs
01-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Paul Garcia PS (@24writer) tweeted at 4:48 PM on Sun, Jan 06, 2013:
RT johnschuhmann: The Pacers have announced that they have waived Sam Young, who can do a back-flip.
(https://twitter.com/24writer/status/288054571459301376)

LakerHater
01-06-2013, 06:08 PM
WOW, he could definately be a Spur!

Bruno
01-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Given Spurs roster and how Pop is using it, I have a hard time considering any player that isn't a center a good candidate for the 15th roster spot. So, no to Young, Samuels, CDR...

DesignatedT
01-06-2013, 06:14 PM
He's a solid player. Will find a job fast.

NASpurs
01-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Given Spurs roster and how Pop is using it, I have a hard time considering any player that isn't a center a good candidate for the 15th roster spot. So, no to Young, Samuels, CDR...

Jarvis Varnado?

Dr. Robert Lee
01-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Not another scrub from Pitt. Isn't Blair enough?

Bruno
01-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Jarvis Varnado?

Well, there are maybe a half dozen options. I'm not pushing for a specific player. Another good option for Spurs would to keep that 15th spot open to have some financial and roster flexibility in prevision of the trade deadline and/or players bought out.

I just don't think it would be a good idea for Spurs to sign now a PG/SG/SF/PF because this player would just be buried in Spurs depth chart.

spurtech09
01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
More depth and a solid player but I doubt spurs would sign him

Mr. Body
01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm surprised that both Pitt guys - Sam Young and Dejuan Blair - are basically marginal players in the league at this point.

JonNOKC
01-06-2013, 08:07 PM
IF the Spurs were looking at trade options involving SJAx then signing Young could make sense

JonNOKC
01-06-2013, 08:09 PM
He is not a great shooter but definitely good as small ball four and maybe Chip could do something with hin

Trainwreck2100
01-06-2013, 08:13 PM
he'll most likely get a better offer than what the Spurs can give him

Libri
01-06-2013, 09:26 PM
I don't know if the Spurs would have taken a chance but Young would have been available on draft day, had Blair been picked one spot higher. I remember that one of the main issues here on ST was his age.

KL2
01-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Spurs should definitely consider signing him, he could be a serviceable player off the bench especially with Jack getting injured so much this season. I'd rather have him than Green playing SF.

ThaBigFundamental21
01-06-2013, 10:55 PM
He's definitely solid, but honestly guys, is he really what the Spurs need at this point? Does he truly improve our team?

Darius McCrary
01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
I rally wanted spurs to get him draft day. I thought he had lockdown defender potential. But if you can't shoot, Pop won't play you.

timvp
01-06-2013, 11:19 PM
he'll most likely get a better offer than what the Spurs can give him

?

He signed an unguaranteed contract with the Pacers and then sucked so much they waived him. He'll take whatever he can get.

That said, he sucks. Spurs fans might think of him as being a decent player since HWSNBN bit on 100% of Sam Young's pump-fakes to turn him into a legit basketball player in the 2011 playoffs ... but he sucks. Can't hit shots outside of the paint. Horrible passer. No handles. Turns the ball over a lot. On top of that, he's already slowing down on the defensive end.

He's basically now a poor man's Al Thornton ... and Al Thornton isn't in the NBA.

td4mvp2k
01-08-2013, 11:57 AM
If he could shoot he would be good with S.A.

Mal
01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Isnt he injured ? Something with ankle

td4mvp2k
01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Yes he was and Im sure thats why he's been off these last 2 seasons.

ace3g
01-08-2013, 05:24 PM
not that it matters, but he cleared waivers:

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine) NBA teams notified following players also clear waivers after Sunday releases: Kris Joseph, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Sam Young & Lazar Hayward

Darkwaters
01-08-2013, 05:48 PM

Once 10 days start I think the Spurs should use that 15th spot on Hassan Whiteside. Hes a young 7 footer that was drafted in the early second round and is now in the D-League. For a 7 footer with his raw skills to be sitting on the NBDL has to tell you that there are some other significant issues plaguing him. But hes intriguing enough that a 10 day contract or two wouldn't be a bad investment.

will_spurs
01-08-2013, 05:58 PM
I just don't think it would be a good idea for Spurs to sign now a PG/SG/SF/PF because this player would just be buried in Spurs depth chart.

We have only 2 SF on the roster... one of them is good but the other is about done and often injured. The back-up is inefficient at this position and gets the shakes in the playoffs anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing the Spurs sign an extra 3 for security.

Bruno
01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
We have only 2 SF on the roster... one of them is good but the other is about done and often injured. The back-up is inefficient at this position and gets the shakes in the playoffs anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing the Spurs sign an extra 3 for security.

With everybody healthy, Mills and De Colo will get either DNP-CD or garbage time minutes. Even if they haven't been great, I think they deserve better than that. So, if Kawhi and/or Jack got injured, I would play Manu at SF and gives some minutes to Mills and/or De Colo. Spurs are very deep on the perimeter with players able to play multiples positions, I don't think adding another player to that logjam is a good idea.

And I'm not even talking about Joseph who is buried in Austin...

will_spurs
01-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Bruno, I don't understand your reasoning. If Kawhi or SJax is injured, it means going small ball at this position with either Green or Manu (as we have seen this year) and they simply can't defend a good SF (and I heard there's a rather good one playing for OKC right now, a team that's on the Spurs road to the Finals). Especially an injury to Kawhi in the playoffs would most probably mean the end of the Spurs chances for the season. This is definitely the position where we lack depth (mostly because of all the undersized guards we have who have no chance of playing the 3, despite being categorized as wings).

Bruno
01-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Bruno, I don't understand your reasoning. If Kawhi or SJax is injured, it means going small ball at this position with either Green or Manu (as we have seen this year) and they simply can't defend a good SF (and I heard there's a rather good one playing for OKC right now, a team that's on the Spurs road to the Finals).

Spurs only have only one roster spot open so you had to go with the biggest need.

So, what's worst? Green/Ginoibli at SF or Diaw/Blair/Bonner at C?

For me it's obviously the C spot that is the biggest priority. Unlike you I haven't find Ginobili bad at defending SF. He is a little short/light for that spot but he compensate it with his toughness. Green struggles more against big SF but it isn't a disaster.

Now, if Spurs trade away at least one of they 7 guards, signing a SF would be a good option.

will_spurs
01-09-2013, 02:43 PM
With Baynes' signing maybe Blair will be dropped/traded to make place for a 3rd SF. I hope so at least.

Bruno
01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Well,

It may tough not be BB related since Blair and his GF broke up few days ago. It's possible ther is nothing behind it because Blair is kinda a weirdo on twitter.

td4mvp2k
01-10-2013, 05:13 AM
With Baynes' signing maybe Blair will be dropped/traded to make place for a 3rd SF. I hope so at least.

I think the same. Do you think they could get Greene if they let Blair go?

exstatic
01-10-2013, 07:52 AM
I think the same. Do you think they could get Greene if they let Blair go?

If Donte were an effective SF, he'd still be playing for Sacto. He's a tweener/stretch four. He doesn't have the handles or defense for the position, or, frankly, the shooting.

DapDaGenius
01-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Well,

It may tough not be BB related since Blair and his GF broke up few days ago. It's possible ther is nothing behind it because Blair is kinda a weirdo on twitter.

:lmao

td4mvp2k
01-10-2013, 09:40 AM
If Donte were an effective SF, he'd still be playing for Sacto. He's a tweener/stretch four. He doesn't have the handles or defense for the position, or, frankly, the shooting.If he wasnt effective the Spurs wouldnt be talking to him. And the ? wasnt for you.