PDA

View Full Version : Just curious...

racm
01-06-2013, 09:31 PM
When was the last time the Spurs engaged in a trade with the Lakers?

FuzzyLumpkins
01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Have they ever? I cannot recall one.

racm
01-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Have they ever? I cannot recall one.

Yeah, that's why I'm curious. I'm pretty sure Pop never dealt with them.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-06-2013, 09:41 PM
They have been rivals since we moved to the WC. If they had done a trade it would have had to been during the early Gervin era when Albeck was getting stonewalled by the Bullets in the ECF.

justinandimcool
01-06-2013, 10:00 PM
I know Horry came through free agency. Can't remember how Samaki got from here to there though, through free agency as well I'm assuming?

Libri
01-06-2013, 10:19 PM
I know Horry came through free agency. Can't remember how Samaki got from here to there though, through free agency as well I'm assuming?

That is correct.

Harry Callahan
01-06-2013, 10:25 PM
1986-87 When The Spurs traded Mychal Thompson to the Lakers for a 1987 #1 (turned into Cadillac Anderson from the U of H). Last pick of the 87 draft to go with the first pick of '87 draft (D. Robinson). I think this is the case anyway.

Harry Callahan
01-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Frank Brickowski was in the same Mychael Thompson trade, I think.

Libri
01-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Frank Brickowski was in the same Mychael Thompson trade, I think.

Here is confirmation:

February 13, 1987: Traded by the Los Angeles Lakers with Petur Gudmundsson, a 1987 1st round draft pick (Greg Anderson) and a 1990 2nd round draft pick (Sean Higgins) to the San Antonio Spurs for Mychal Thompson.

FromWayDowntown
01-06-2013, 11:12 PM
I think there was a trade between the Thompson deal and the present day with the Lakers. The 57th pick in the 2002 draft (which was actually used on the 56th selected player, but Minnesota forfeited its first rounder that year) was used by the Spurs, but should have belonged to the Lakers. I can't find a transaction history to show how that pick got from LA to SA. And before you say that a trade for a second round pick doesn't count, the Spurs picked Randy Holcomb with that draft pick and included him in a trade to Philadelphia (along with the rights to John Salmons and Mark Bryant) in exchange for Speedy Claxton. It made a difference.

FromWayDowntown
01-06-2013, 11:15 PM
The Spurs also dealt picks to the Lakers in 1988 -- for Mike Smrek -- and 1990 -- for Mark McNamara.

exstatic
01-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Didn't we deal them a pick a few years ago? Corey Hightower?

timvp
01-06-2013, 11:30 PM
I think there was a trade between the Thompson deal and the present day with the Lakers. The 57th pick in the 2002 draft (which was actually used on the 56th selected player, but Minnesota forfeited its first rounder that year) was used by the Spurs, but should have belonged to the Lakers. I can't find a transaction history to show how that pick got from LA to SA. And before you say that a trade for a second round pick doesn't count, the Spurs picked Randy Holcomb with that draft pick and included him in a trade to Philadelphia (along with the rights to John Salmons and Mark Bryant) in exchange for Speedy Claxton. It made a difference.

IIRC, and I'm pretty sure I do, the Spurs traded Cory Hightower to the Lakers in the 2000 draft (he was a 50-something selection) for a future second round pick. That second round pick became that piece to the Speedy Claxton deal.

The Cory Hightower trade was hilarious. Spurs fans had a full on PANIC thinking that they had sent the next superstar to the Lakers (Hightower was once a high school legend) and Jerry West was talking him up as a great steal. But then Hightower didn't even make it out of their next training camp because he got cut for refusing to carry Kobe's bags :lmao

Edit: ex with the snipe. I bet he, too, remembers the Hightower meltdown. :lol

Spursfanfromafar
01-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Bball reference -

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/trades.cgi?f1=LAL&f2=SAS

timvp
01-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Bball reference -

The Spurs have never made a trade with the Celtics? Interesting note.

baseline bum
01-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Didn't we deal them a pick a few years ago? Corey Hightower?

The rich get richer. :lmao

The meltdown after that trade was classic

01-07-2013, 01:20 AM
bonner for jordan hill

racm
01-07-2013, 01:22 AM

RC better get it done for KG :downspin:

Spursfanfromafar
01-07-2013, 02:48 AM

And never with the Clippers or the Heat either!

freetiago
01-07-2013, 04:56 AM
Spurs dont really trade at all
especially these days
people think the role players look better then they are because of pops system aka the big 3 creating wide open 3s for everyone
people are reluctant when you factor in that these guys are usually late 1st or 2nd round picks who played in systems
and san antonio gets really sentimental with their players

Maddog
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
IIRC, and I'm pretty sure I do, the Spurs traded Cory Hightower to the Lakers in the 2000 draft (he was a 50-something selection) for a future second round pick. That second round pick became that piece to the Speedy Claxton deal.

The Cory Hightower trade was hilarious. Spurs fans had a full on PANIC thinking that they had sent the next superstar to the Lakers (Hightower was once a high school legend) and Jerry West was talking him up as a great steal. But then Hightower didn't even make it out of their next training camp because he got cut for refusing to carry Kobe's bags :lmao

Edit: ex with the snipe. I bet he, too, remembers the Hightower meltdown. :lol

The rich get richer. :lmao

The meltdown after that trade was classic

Feeding the meltdown was the press who gave it as example of Jerry West's genius.....

sananspursfan21
01-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Bball reference -

they've traded 9 times (the most) with the Bulls. Huh, i could go for a derrick rose and joakim noah care package right about now

sananspursfan21
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Bball reference -

the bucks and kings have traded atleast once with everybody. what trade sluts!