PDA

View Full Version : Ruth's Chris

JudynTX
01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Is it overrated or am I going to enjoy my meal there? :wakeup

CosmicCowboy
01-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Is it overrated or am I going to enjoy my meal there? :wakeup

You should definitely enjoy the food but you won't enjoy paying for it. I'm particularly offended by all the side dishes being a la carte.

mrsmaalox
01-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Yes to both.

JudynTX
01-07-2013, 01:42 PM
You should definitely enjoy the food but you won't enjoy paying for it. I'm particularly offended by all the side dishes being a la carte.

$250 gift card, is that enough? :lol

CosmicCowboy
01-07-2013, 01:47 PM
$250 gift card, is that enough? :lol

That should be enough for two...:lol

JudynTX
01-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Hubby got it for years of service. :D

Will I have enough for wine too? :lol

I. Hustle
01-07-2013, 01:50 PM

Yes to both.

It's good. The only reason I would go there though was because I had a cousin that worked there and we would get 50% off of our meal. It was good though. I think last time I went I got their "special". It was a soup or salad, steak and a dessert for like $45.

mrsmaalox
01-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Hubby got it for years of service. :D

Will I have enough for wine too? :lol

Wow, he must be servicing you good! ;)

I. Hustle
01-07-2013, 01:52 PM

For real! I can't even get tix to a Spurs game! LOL

JudynTX
01-07-2013, 01:53 PM
It's good. The only reason I would go there though was because I had a cousin that worked there and we would get 50% off of our meal. It was good though. I think last time I went I got their "special". It was a soup or salad, steak and a dessert for like $45.

Not bad for a regularly $90 meal. :lol

:hat

mrsmaalox
01-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Step up your game!

JudynTX
01-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Did you buy her the perfume she wanted?

Drachen
01-07-2013, 01:58 PM
As everyone said, it will likely be enough for two including wine and a decent tip. The cut of meat is great, they cook it perfectly, I was disappointed in the seasoning though (none, not even a little rock salt). The meat (at medium rare) will generally be able to be cut with nothing more than a fork.

I recommend the seared ahi tuna appetizer. It was the best thing about our meal. Also, the bananas foster was pretty good, and it was a nice show (they prepare it at your table with fireworks and everything).

I. Hustle
01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Not bad for a regularly $90 meal. :lol

$45 was the actual deal. We spent less because of the discount

I. Hustle
01-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Did you buy her the perfume she wanted?

I actually bought her one that I knew for sure she liked and then 2 others. Luckily she liked all 3 lol

I. Hustle
01-07-2013, 02:06 PM
As everyone said, it will likely be enough for two including wine and a decent tip. The cut of meat is great, they cook it perfectly, I was disappointed in the seasoning though (none, not even a little rock salt). The meat (at medium rare) will generally be able to be cut with nothing more than a fork. I recommend the seared ahi tuna appetizer. It was the best thing about our meal. Also, the bananas foster was pretty good, and it was a nice show (they prepare it at your table with fireworks and everything).

This

CosmicCowboy
01-07-2013, 02:07 PM
They sous vide their steaks like I do. that's how you get that perfect medium rare all the way through with the flash seared crust. I built a redneck sous vide setup for about $100.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6769/pit015.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/pit015.jpg/)

JudynTX
01-07-2013, 02:10 PM
As everyone said, it will likely be enough for two including wine and a decent tip. The cut of meat is great, they cook it perfectly, I was disappointed in the seasoning though (none, not even a little rock salt). The meat (at medium rare) will generally be able to be cut with nothing more than a fork.

I recommend the seared ahi tuna appetizer. It was the best thing about our meal. Also, the bananas foster was pretty good, and it was a nice show (they prepare it at your table with fireworks and everything).

Now I'm drooling.

$45 was the actual deal. We spent less because of the discount

Damn!!

I actually bought her one that I knew for sure she liked and then 2 others. Luckily she liked all 3 lol

So ask her where your Ruth's Chris giftcard is? :D

CosmicCowboy
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM
I've got two pikes peak roasts in it right now on a 30 hour cook. Then I will put them on the smoker this weekend and bring them back up to 131F. Makes a cheap cut of meat cook out just like smoked prime rib.

JudynTX
01-07-2013, 02:15 PM
I've got two pikes peak roasts in it right now on a 30 hour cook. Then I will put them on the smoker this weekend and bring them back up to 131F. Makes a cheap cut of meat cook out just like smoked prime rib.

Can you make tamales with that meat? :lol

I like my steaks medium.

mrsmaalox
01-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Tell us which ones! I got a new supply of the Coach Poppy, Poppy Flower and the new limited edition Poppy Blossom. They mix and match beautifully.

And to satisfy my hippie spirit, someone gave me some Turkish Pomegranate body oil :eyebrows

CosmicCowboy
01-07-2013, 02:18 PM

I like my steaks medium.

They will just cook yours in the 140F waterbath instead of the 131F for medium rare.

I. Hustle
01-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Tell us which ones! I got a new supply of the Coach Poppy, Poppy Flower and the new limited edition Poppy Blossom. They mix and match beautifully.

And to satisfy my hippie spirit, someone gave me some Turkish Pomegranate body oil :eyebrows

So I got her the Coach one you suggested and she did like it. I got her the Juicy Couture one that she liked and the 3rd one... I forgot. Let me look it up or see if I remember.

leemajors
01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
They sous vide their steaks like I do. that's how you get that perfect medium rare all the way through with the flash seared crust. I built a redneck sous vide setup for about $100.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6769/pit015.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/pit015.jpg/)

that's an upgrade from the standard igloo cooler redneck setup :lol

Chingo Bling
01-07-2013, 02:30 PM

I like my steaks medium.

Did someone say tamales? Chit I can mae tamales out of anything! Jou want prime rib tamales? Puerco? Duck? Caviar? Avestruz? Jou want tamales then you talk to El Mero Mero Tamalero! Aye guey!

CosmicCowboy
01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
that's an upgrade from the standard igloo cooler redneck setup :lol

:lol I have used the same controller on big cooks in a 120qt cooler using a water trough heating element for my heat source...worked like a champ...

JudynTX
01-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Steak sauce? Yes or no?

I. Hustle
01-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Steak sauce? Yes or no?

She meant steak salts. Sorry guys, nothing to see here.

Run Judy! Run!

JudynTX
01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
:lmao Throwing a wrench into the equation.

Drachen
01-07-2013, 02:52 PM
They will just cook yours in the 140F waterbath instead of the 131F for medium rare.

I had never heard of this way of cooking so I just did a little research. Damn, this just seems like a great thing to be able to do. Found some instructions to build a 15 gallon cooker for 75 bucks. I don't know why I wouldn't do this.

You may have posted a picture of the same, but my work computer blocks some pictures (and not others) so I cant see it.

CosmicCowboy
01-07-2013, 03:43 PM
I prefer the way I built mine because I can use it on anything from a crock pot up to a 140qt ice chest on big cooks.

Drachen
01-07-2013, 04:47 PM
I am sure you did it well and nothing against it, but 75 bucks and 15 gallons seems like a pretty good point for me. I know the way it is set up, you can unhook it from the bin and put it on anything else, though I wouldn't use a tub because I would assume that the heating elements wouldn't be rated for that much water. Also, I am sure that if I ever decided that I needed more cooking volume, that I could purchase some heating coils that are rated higher and stick them on there, but I haven't looked really closely at the instructions.

Drachen
01-07-2013, 04:56 PM
ok, so the nce of 25 bucks isn't that big and if that thing can crank out that much power, maybe I will look that way. Here is the one I found found

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/DSC_0041.jpg

CosmicCowboy
01-08-2013, 03:03 PM
That's a good price to already be assembled. That is the same temperature controller I used.

Drachen
01-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Oh no, it is a DIY, they have the instructions on the site.

CosmicCowboy
01-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Either way you won't regret it. You will be blown away at the crazy stuff you can cook. Beef Ribs on a 24 hour soak @ 131F and then smoked or flash grilled are freaking amazing. Tender, medium rare, and with that big beefy rib flavor.

Drachen
01-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Either way you won't regret it. You will be blown away at the crazy stuff you can cook. Beef Ribs on a 24 hour soak @ 131F and then smoked or flash grilled are freaking amazing. Tender, medium rare, and with that big beefy rib flavor.

I think I am going to do this because the one thing I can't do (and I am ashamed to admit it) is make some ribs. Admittedly I haven't tried too many times (my first time was atrocious and my second sucked too), but I think that I should be able to do it with these.

Capt Bringdown
01-09-2013, 08:15 AM
I went there once, don't know what the fuss is about. Any fool can cook a steak.

baseline bum
01-09-2013, 08:28 AM
So'd you dump ketchup all over that crispy motherfucker?

tlongII
01-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Ruth's Chris is good. It is very difficult to find the same quality of cuts of beef to cook at home. Good restaurants like Ruth's Chris or Morton's or El Gaucho almost always have better cuts of meat.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Ruth's Chris is good. It is very difficult to find the same quality of cuts of beef to cook at home. Good restaurants like Ruth's Chris or Morton's or El Gaucho almost always have better cuts of meat.

Maybe in Portland, but there are good reliable sources of prime meat here.

I. Hustle
01-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Primer than El Gaucho?! No me digas!

mrsmaalox
01-09-2013, 10:34 AM
I cooked the most perfect steak in the history of the world last night, in my backyard, in the pouring rain :)

Drachen
01-09-2013, 10:35 AM

You don't even have to drive very far. My in-laws live behind randolph in schertz and there is a guy who sells fresh beef not to far down the road.

I. Hustle
01-09-2013, 10:37 AM
I cooked the most perfect steak in the history of the world last night, in my backyard, in the pouring rain :)

By "cooked the most perfect steak" do you mean had the best sex? If so... you are welcome.

mrsmaalox
01-09-2013, 10:41 AM
By "cooked the most perfect steak" do you mean had the best sex? If so... you are welcome.

Yes of course, that's exactly what I meant :lol

tlongII
01-09-2013, 11:15 AM

Probably in butcher shops. But I doubt that you would find prime steaks in the grocery store or Costco there.

CosmicCowboy
01-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Probably in butcher shops. But I doubt that you would find prime steaks in the grocery store or Costco there.

True, Costco typically has choice, but not prime. Bolner's has great choice cut steaks including prime, kobe, and akaushi but they damn sure aren't cheap.

CavsSuperFan
01-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Ruth Chris/Morton’s have phenomenal cuts of beef…As mentioned they do not season the beef ….They also have expensive liquors…I have only been to either on The Company Dime…While the execs get liquored up, I savor the “Porter house for two” with a bunch of sides and leave with lunches for the next few days….:hungry:

Drachen
01-09-2013, 01:07 PM
every costco I have been to has a part of their cooler dedicated to prime beef.

leemajors
01-09-2013, 01:51 PM
every costco I have been to has a part of their cooler dedicated to prime beef.

Yeah Franklin BBQ in Austin used to get their prime brisket from Costco

gameFACE
01-09-2013, 03:04 PM
It's been a while but the last time I went to RC it wasn't bad at all. We also had a gift certificate. A few years later I had a steak at Silo and I thought it was even better. But you'll enjoy RC. The sides were really good, too.

TeyshaBlue
01-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Ruth's Chris, Mortons....steak = roast.

Pass. Bleh.

The Reckoning
01-09-2013, 06:51 PM
over july 4th my friend was firing up the propane grill and forgot to lift the top up. i watched this huge fireball come out from under the grill and give my friend 2nd to 3rd degree burns all over his legs.

I. Hustle
01-10-2013, 11:23 AM
over july 4th my friend was firing up the propane grill and forgot to lift the top up. i watched this huge fireball come out from under the grill and give my friend 2nd to 3rd degree burns all over his legs.

http://i.imgur.com/gv0yY.png

cantthinkofanything
01-10-2013, 11:35 AM

did he go dieded?

lebomb
01-10-2013, 11:35 AM
True, Costco typically has choice, but not prime. Bolner's has great choice cut steaks including prime, kobe, and akaushi but they damn sure aren't cheap.

Bolners is awesome!!!

BRHornet45
01-11-2013, 12:08 AM
another one of NOLA's finest, national chains

Sisk
01-11-2013, 12:50 AM

Happened to Hannah Storm recently.

DMC
01-11-2013, 09:31 AM

Just not the real akausi, isn't that correct?

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Just not the real akausi, isn't that correct?

If it comes from akausi steers it's pretty much real IMHO.

CuckingFunt
01-11-2013, 06:01 PM
If it comes from akausi steers it's pretty much real IMHO.

As discussed in the other steak thread, all of the Japanese cows in the US have been crossbred with Angus. I don't think there are any exceptions there. It results in meat that has a number of the same properties that make wagyu and kobe and all the rest so popular, and it allows the sellers to call it by the Japanese name and sell it for more, but what we're eating in the states isn't the same stuff they're eating in Japan.

Trill Clinton
01-11-2013, 06:09 PM
As discussed in the other steak thread, all of the Japanese cows in the US have been crossbred with Angus. I don't think there are any exceptions there. It results in meat that has a number of the same properties that make wagyu and kobe and all the rest so popular, and it allows the sellers to call it by the Japanese name and sell it for more, but what we're eating in the states isn't the same stuff they're eating in Japan.

you know the meat can be imported from Japan, right?

CuckingFunt
01-11-2013, 06:20 PM
you know the meat can be imported from Japan, right?

Per Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef

Mislabeling

The proliferation of beef outside of Japan marketed as the Kobe beef is a troubling issue for Kobe beef farmers. Much like how sparkling wine may not be labeled "Champagne" unless it is produced in the Champagne region of France, the same is true in regard to "genuine" Kobe beef. Kobe beef comes from a specific breed and genetic lineage of cattle raised in the Hyogo prefecture according to the standards set by Kobe Beef Distribution and Promotion Council. This council also sets the rules regarding foreign exportation of Kobe beef and has tightly restricted trade with the exception of export to Macau and Hong Kong.

The import of Japanese beef into other countries is also tightly restricted, the US in particular, where from 2010 to 2012 the sale of it was illegal due to restrictions put in place by the USDA regarding concerns about foot-and-mouth disease found in some Japanese cattle in 2010. Limited imports to the US have since been approved. True Japanese Kobe beef is currently exported from Japan to the United States.

However, due to a lack of regulation which would enforce protection and recognition of the Kobe beef trademark, there are many opportunities to purchase beef that is labeled or passed off as Kobe beef, taking advantage of the public's ignorance of what it takes to make beef that is legitimately Kobe beef, in effect defrauding unwary consumers and the true Japanese Kobe beef industry.

As stated above, genuine Japanese beef has never been easy to import and was for a time completely illegal to import or sell in the US. It no longer is flat out illegal (as of just a few months ago, I believe), but it still is difficult and costly. Considering that restaurants can already legally label the beef they're selling as Kobe or Wagyu and sell it for a ton of money WITHOUT having to go to the additional effort and expense of a tricky import process, how likely do you think it is that the Kobe beef you've eaten in restaurants actually came from Japan?

Trill Clinton
01-11-2013, 06:42 PM

Mislabeling

The proliferation of beef outside of Japan marketed as the Kobe beef is a troubling issue for Kobe beef farmers. Much like how sparkling wine may not be labeled "Champagne" unless it is produced in the Champagne region of France, the same is true in regard to "genuine" Kobe beef. Kobe beef comes from a specific breed and genetic lineage of cattle raised in the Hyogo prefecture according to the standards set by Kobe Beef Distribution and Promotion Council. This council also sets the rules regarding foreign exportation of Kobe beef and has tightly restricted trade with the exception of export to Macau and Hong Kong.

The import of Japanese beef into other countries is also tightly restricted, the US in particular, where from 2010 to 2012 the sale of it was illegal due to restrictions put in place by the USDA regarding concerns about foot-and-mouth disease found in some Japanese cattle in 2010. Limited imports to the US have since been approved. True Japanese Kobe beef is currently exported from Japan to the United States.

However, due to a lack of regulation which would enforce protection and recognition of the Kobe beef trademark, there are many opportunities to purchase beef that is labeled or passed off as Kobe beef, taking advantage of the public's ignorance of what it takes to make beef that is legitimately Kobe beef, in effect defrauding unwary consumers and the true Japanese Kobe beef industry.

As stated above, genuine Japanese beef has never been easy to import and was for a time completely illegal to import or sell in the US. It no longer is flat out illegal (as of just a few months ago, I believe), but it still is difficult and costly. Considering that restaurants can already legally label the beef they're selling as Kobe or Wagyu and sell it for a ton of money WITHOUT having to go to the additional effort and expense of a tricky import process, how likely do you think it is that the Kobe beef you've eaten in restaurants actually came from Japan?

yup its no longer illegal to ship as of September 2012; so there is a possibility that some people are getting the actual rare quality beef imported.

i've only eaten it in one restaurant and i think i had the real deal.

bus driver
01-14-2013, 04:12 PM
update?

what did you get? did you like it?

do i have to read the whole thread to get the answers?

Cuppycake Gumdrop
01-14-2013, 04:41 PM
yup its no longer illegal to ship as of September 2012; so there is a possibility that some people are getting the actual rare quality beef imported.

i've only eaten it in one restaurant and i think i had the real deal.

how much did you pay for it?

CosmicCowboy
01-14-2013, 05:32 PM

Mislabeling

Wiki isn't always right

http://www.heartbrandbeef.com/?page=shop/history

Cuppycake Gumdrop
01-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Wiki isn't always right

http://www.heartbrandbeef.com/?page=shop/history

And that still isn't Kobe beef

CosmicCowboy
01-14-2013, 06:08 PM
And that still isn't Kobe beef

No shit Sherlock. By definition Kobe beef has to come from Japan, like champagne has to come from France. That doesn't mean that pure strain wagyu cattle grown in the US can't be just as good as wagyu grown in Japan.

Fat boy
01-14-2013, 06:15 PM
No shit Sherlock. By definition Kobe beef has to come from Japan, like champagne has to come from France. That doesn't mean that pure strain wagyu cattle grown in the US can't be just as good as wagyu grown in Japan.

A1 sauce can make it happen.

Trill Clinton
01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
how much did you pay for it?

zero dollars

monosylab1k
01-14-2013, 06:39 PM
zero dollars

Ran out on the bill, eh? I knew you wouldn't tip but that's low.

JudynTX
01-15-2013, 11:55 AM
update?

what did you get? did you like it?

do i have to read the whole thread to get the answers?

We still haven't gone yet. :lol

gameFACE
01-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Man, hurry up. We have inquiring minds.

Anyone ever been to Myron's steakhouse? Any good? A friend asked me but I had never even heard about it.

bus driver
01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
We still haven't gone yet. :lol

:pctoss

i expect a full dinning critique once you have gone. oh and dont forget to take pictures.

JudynTX
01-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Man, hurry up. We have inquiring minds.

Anyone ever been to Myron's steakhouse? Any good? A friend asked me but I had never even heard about it.

:pctoss

i expect a full dinning critique once you have gone. oh and dont forget to take pictures.

I'm thinking of selling it, anyone want to buy it? :lol

Drachen
01-15-2013, 01:50 PM
probably not going to get anyone to buy for an amount that you would be happy with since you can get them for 20% off at costco.

I. Hustle
01-15-2013, 02:15 PM

I'll give you $50!

I. Hustle
01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
With that you could go get a bottle of crown and stay in.

JudynTX
01-15-2013, 02:20 PM
:lol I think I'm just gonna go drink off the $250.00

mrsmaalox
01-15-2013, 02:23 PM

Use it for Valentine's Day, but make reservations now. Also the last time I was at RC (in D.C.), they had a great appetizer and drink specials Happy Hour----you could do that a few times if you aren't interested in the full steak dinner.

Drachen
01-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Use it for Valentine's Day, but make reservations now. Also the last time I was at RC (in D.C.), they had a great appetizer and drink specials Happy Hour----you could do that a few times if you aren't interested in the full steak dinner.

If you do this, get the tuna appetizer, trust me. My wife hates seafood and we had to order a second one because she ate most of the first one (when we ordered it for me specifically).

Drachen
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
:lol I think I'm just gonna go drink off the $250.00

Good call. Just FYI to those who don't know what I am talking about. At Costco, you can get 100 bucks in RC gift cards (or starbucks, and others) for 80 bucks.

DarrinS
01-15-2013, 04:17 PM

Does yours circulate the water?

This one uses a pump to move the water around

http://makeprojects.com/Project/Sous-Vide-Immersion-Cooker/471/1

http://www.amazon.com/NORPRO-559-Immersion-Warming-Liquids/dp/B000I8VE68

CosmicCowboy
01-15-2013, 04:44 PM
I bought a little high temperature low voltage pump but haven't used it yet. Quite honestly I haven't felt the need for it as all the meat I have done from a dozen steaks at a time to 10# roasts seems to cook evenly.

Sportcamper
01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Your Sous Vide Immersion Cooker does not have a pump to circulate the water? I am thinking that’s why those Pikes Peak Roasts came out so dry….

CosmicCowboy
01-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Your Sous Vide Immersion Cooker does not have a pump to circulate the water? I am thinking that’s why those Pikes Peak Roasts came out so dry….

:lmao

they were tender and juicy and a perfect medium rare.

hater
01-15-2013, 05:53 PM
dip a steak in a butter and garlic pool for 15 minutes. cook it. That's Ruth Chris

CosmicCowboy
01-15-2013, 06:01 PM
dip a steak in a butter and garlic pool for 15 minutes. cook it. That's Ruth Chris

nope

tlongII
01-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Good call. Just FYI to those who don't know what I am talking about. At Costco, you can get 100 bucks in RC gift cards (or starbucks, and others) for 80 bucks.

I don't think you can get those Starbucks cards for 80 bucks any more. At least not around here.

Drachen
01-15-2013, 06:16 PM
I don't think you can get those Starbucks cards for 80 bucks any more. At least not around here.

My wife bought the pack over Christmas.

hater
01-15-2013, 08:14 PM
hate to say it again. But you can work on a heart attack at home for much cheaper.

1 stick of butter
1 steak
bunch of garlic
salt + pepper
= Ruth Chris

CosmicCowboy
01-15-2013, 08:57 PM
hate to say it again. But you can work on a heart attack at home for much cheaper.

1 stick of butter
1 steak
bunch of garlic
salt + pepper
= Ruth Chris

If you want cheap just eat a stick of manteca.

tlongII
01-15-2013, 09:29 PM
My wife bought the pack over Christmas.

Can you get her to buy a pack for me?

Agloco
01-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Bill should be less than at Bohannons. I remember dropping 325 plus tip there (for two). Twas a damn good cut of meat though.

DarrinS
01-15-2013, 10:06 PM

Pretty sure that ain't it

Southwest Texas Fan
01-16-2013, 06:12 PM

HEB grocery store carries prime cuts.

JudynTX
02-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Well we finally went to Ruth's Chris last night. The service was impeccable, but most importantly, my steak was the best I have
ever eaten in my life. I had the Petit Filet, it was charred just enough on top and melted in my mouth. The mashed potatoes
were just ok, nothing to rave about. We had a couple of glasses of Moscato too. For dessert, we shared the Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding. :D

I will compare every steak I get in the future to RC's.

CosmicCowboy
02-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Well we finally went to Ruth's Chris last night. The service was impeccable, but most importantly, my steak was the best I have
ever eaten in my life. I had the Petit Filet, it was charred just enough on top and melted in my mouth. The mashed potatoes
were just ok, nothing to rave about. We had a couple of glasses of Moscato too. For dessert, we shared the Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding. :D

Yeah, you can't beat those sous vide steaks...I rarely cook steaks "normally" now.

bus driver
02-13-2013, 09:51 AM
^
nice

JudynTX
02-13-2013, 09:53 AM
My husband had the Petit Filet and Lobster Tail. :tu We are definitely going back.

tlongII
02-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Dammit! Now I'm hungry!

lebomb
02-13-2013, 10:25 AM

Thats awesome Judy glad you got your moneys worth and you loved the steak. The best steak Ive had was from Charlies in Orlando Florida, the next was the pepper crusted steak from Mortons downtown SA. I had Ruths Chris steaks before and I prefer the other two places I mentioned. Bohanans, Palm, Little Rhein and Biga on the Banks is good as well.

TeyshaBlue
02-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Joe Allen's in Abilene back in the 2000's killed every steak house I've eaten in....and I make a point to eat a steak everywhere I travel.

Beef from his ranch. Cooked over Mesquite on a large grill that had never been cleaned by the looks of it. Salt. Pepper. Garlic.

Order rib eyes by the inch and they absolutely melted in your mouth if you ordered them rare or med rare. Perfect char. Morton's can't even pretend to be that good.

lebomb
02-13-2013, 11:02 AM
http://www.talkofthetownrestaurants.com/awards.html

Proof

JudynTX
02-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Thats awesome Judy glad you got your moneys worth and you loved the steak. The best steak Ive had was from Charlies in Orlando Florida, the next was the pepper crusted steak from Mortons downtown SA. I had Ruths Chris steaks before and I prefer the other two places I mentioned. Bohanans, Palm, Little Rhein and Biga on the Banks is good as well.

Now that I've had Ruth's Chris, I won't try any other steak. :lol

lebomb
02-13-2013, 11:40 AM

..........at least get a steak at Jims or Chillis.

JudynTX
02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
..........at least get a steak at Jims or Chillis.

:td Probably has horse meat, no thanks.

I. Hustle
02-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Cool, I liked it when my wife and I went. Morton's was damn good too. Plus I liked their sides.

lebomb
02-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Cool, I liked it when my wife and I went. Morton's was damn good too. Plus I liked their sides.

No offense to Judy......its allllllll subjective. I think Mortons steaks are better. :yield

Xevious
02-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Mortons and Fleming's are much better than RC.

mrsmaalox
02-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Best steaks I've ever had are at the Cattleman's Steakhouse at Indian Cliffs Ranch in El Paso.

http://www.cattlemansranch.com/indiancliffsranch.htm

Capt Bringdown
02-14-2013, 03:16 AM
This looks promising, although the $ is still too much IMO:

Nomiku's immersion circulator makes low temperature cooking available to the masses

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/06/dsc02490-1340142258.jpg

- more ->> (http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/19/nomiku-immersion-circulator-sous-vide-cooking/)

TeyshaBlue
02-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Best steaks I've ever had are at the Cattleman's Steakhouse at Indian Cliffs Ranch in El Paso.

:toast

Rods and Wheels in El Paso is rib-heaven.

http://calendar.elpasotimes.com/el_paso_tx/venues/show/1082710-hot-rods-and-wheels

mrsmaalox
02-14-2013, 10:28 AM
:toast

Rods and Wheels in El Paso is rib-heaven.

http://calendar.elpasotimes.com/el_paso_tx/venues/show/1082710-hot-rods-and-wheels

That's interesting, I've never heard of that place; I see from the link it's in Vista Hills Park and my parents live in the Vista Hills Country Club so it's gotta be just around here. I may check it out :toast

clambake
02-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Nomiku's immersion circulator makes low temperature cooking available to the masses

- more ->> (http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/19/nomiku-immersion-circulator-sous-vide-cooking/)

kickass

I. Hustle
02-14-2013, 01:56 PM

The only drawback is that you have to eat it in El Paso.

TeyshaBlue
02-14-2013, 02:44 PM
That's interesting, I've never heard of that place; I see from the link it's in Vista Hills Park and my parents live in the Vista Hills Country Club so it's gotta be just around here. I may check it out :toast

I haven't eaten there since '97.....it's moved since then I think and looks fairly swanky according to recent google pics. hopefully, the rib smoker moved with them.

Holy Hell '97. That was along time ago now. Didn't seem that long ago when I thought of it.:depressed

mrsmaalox
02-14-2013, 05:31 PM
The only drawback is that you have to eat it in El Paso.

Technically it's not in El Paso, it's considered in Fabens :lol It's out in the middle of the desert; very picturesque scenery.

CosmicCowboy
02-14-2013, 05:54 PM
I used to buy truckloads of alfalfa hay from a guy in Fabens.

TeyshaBlue
02-14-2013, 06:30 PM
I used to buy truckloads of alfalfa hay from a guy in Fabens.

Shup! You cook steak like a French girl!

Drachen
02-14-2013, 08:45 PM

LOL, get outta here with that BS, 299.99? You can get the sous vide supreme for 329. LOL

-not you captain bringdown, I meant the people trying to launch it.

Drachen
02-14-2013, 08:53 PM
I have decided I don't need the pretty one that I posted earlier (plus it requires precision cutting and I just don't have the tools for that).
So I will use either this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412Oi1t1uVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/MARSHALLTOWN-Premier-742G-Bucket-Heater/dp/B000BDB4UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360898703&sr=8-1&keywords=electra+bucket+heater)

Or this
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NW%2BARYcKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/11-1-Max-Water-Depth-Heater/dp/B000R051DE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360898644&sr=8-2&keywords=electra+bucket+heater)

Along with this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2B4b0OtBcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Display-Temperature-Controller-Great/dp/B002PIM3R8/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_y)

and an old cooler. Should be able to get out of it for under 100

Capt Bringdown
02-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Best steak I ever had was in Munich, Germany. Bought from the local butcher and grilled at home. Something to do with the quality of the beef, grass-fed or some-such.
I grew up in Texas, in a beef-loving family, have been eating beef all my life & I've never tasted anything like it. Go figure.

Capt Bringdown
02-14-2013, 09:58 PM
I have decided I don't need the pretty one that I posted earlier (plus it requires precision cutting and I just don't have the tools for that).
Should be able to get out of it for under 100

Where are you going to source all these things & how are you going to put them together? Perhaps a step-by-step, how-to thread would be appropriate? It would certainly be greatly appreciated. The more I read about sous vide, the more intrigued I am.

Capt Bringdown
02-14-2013, 10:02 PM
LOL, get outta here with that BS, 299.99? You can get the sous vide supreme for 329. LOL

-not you captain bringdown, I meant the people trying to launch it.

As I understand it, this production run is limited and was backed by a kick-starter funding drive. Sous vide will have to get a lot more popular for cheaper tools, I reckon.

Drachen
02-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Where are you going to source all these things & how are you going to put them together? Perhaps a step-by-step, how-to thread would be appropriate? It would certainly be greatly appreciated. The more I read about sous vide, the more intrigued I am.

I can do this as soon as I actually get the cash together and "build" it. All the stuff will come from amazon. I can give you links if you want.

If you want to do the easiest possible iteration and have 150 to spend then get the second heater that I posted and one of these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71yF1k41spL._SL1500_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/DorkFood-DSV-Temperature-Controller-Sous-vide/dp/B0088OTON4)

You plug the the temp controller into the wall, plug the heater into the temp controller, sent the temperature and you are done.

You can even do this without the heater using a crockpot as your heater.

Capt Bringdown
02-14-2013, 10:25 PM
I can do this as soon as I actually get the cash together and "build" it. All the stuff will come from amazon. I can give you links if you want.

Thanks, looks very interesting.

Drachen
02-14-2013, 10:29 PM
I made all of the pictures clickable links if you want to see where they are on amazon.

Capt Bringdown
02-15-2013, 01:19 AM
I made all of the pictures clickable links if you want to see where they are on amazon.
What do you see yourself using to bag the food & isn't this aspect of sous vide cooking the most expensive?

Drachen
02-15-2013, 01:46 AM
What do you see yourself using to bag the food & isn't this aspect of sous vide cooking the most expensive?

the super duper food saver is only 150 over at costco. I figured I would watch until it lowers in price or just get the 70 dollar one. That will probably come later though. I will likely do the faux-sous vide by using ziplocs where I keep the back open as I am dipping it into the water (thus forcing out the air) and only close the bag once the opening is almost under water (thus all the air is out of the bag).

Drachen
02-15-2013, 01:53 AM
I did just recently purchase one of these since it was on sale for 15 bucks. I am going to try it out since I have read that if I use the ziploc brand vacuum bags instead of the food saver ones that I can sous vide at least up to 140 degrees, but I like Medium rare which is 131 so I should be fine.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/05/38/91/10/0005389110342_500X500.jpg (http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=12264)

Drachen
02-15-2013, 01:59 AM
BTW, the sale might still be on if you are interested. you have to add it to cart and the price will change at checkout. If it doesn't automatically apply, try this code. N3FEAAA

CosmicCowboy
02-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Drachen I suggest you set yours up like mine and have your temp controller control a 110V plug. That way you can plug in any heat source/cooker you want. Lately I've been using a turkey broiler I bought on sale last thanksgiving at HEB for $10 and it works perfectly.

http://imageshack.us/a/img837/1864/svpics004.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/9643/sousvidecontroller025.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img339/6332/sousvidecontroller022.jpg

Sportcamper
02-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Is that an outdoor Roman tub? WT heck you Richer!

CosmicCowboy
02-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Doing a big cook with a tank heater like you showed in post #124.

http://imageshack.us/a/img542/4619/svpics003.jpg

Drachen
02-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Yeah that is basically what I hoped to end up doing. Essentially make it an all purpose temperature controller so that out could be used for other things too like a smoker box

Drachen
02-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Drachen I suggest you set yours up like mine and have your temp controller control a 110V plug. That way you can plug in any heat source/cooker you want. Lately I've been using a turkey broiler I bought on sale last thanksgiving at HEB for $10 and it works perfectly.

http://imageshack.us/a/img837/1864/svpics004.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/9643/sousvidecontroller025.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img339/6332/sousvidecontroller022.jpg

I will ask this, because I don't have step by step instructions and was just going to try to find some on the net once I got all the stuff in. Is the wiring pretty self explanatory (for pretty much an electrical novice) or should I go find your office and shove all of the components onto your desk. LOL.

mrsmaalox
02-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Doing a big cook with a tank heater like you showed in post #124.

http://imageshack.us/a/img542/4619/svpics003.jpg

That set up with all those wires and hoses are what is required to cook a steak? Your wife must really love steak cuz I'd be all "You get that mess out of my house NOW!!" :lol

Bigzax
02-15-2013, 11:56 AM
http://rainbowonyourplate.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Grill-Pan.jpg

CosmicCowboy
02-15-2013, 12:41 PM
I will ask this, because I don't have step by step instructions and was just going to try to find some on the net once I got all the stuff in. Is the wiring pretty self explanatory (for pretty much an electrical novice) or should I go find your office and shove all of the components onto your desk. LOL.

I didn't think it was difficult once I identified which terminal on the controller did what. Just a simple contactor setup between the relay and the plug..

CosmicCowboy
02-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Eh, I do it outside wherever I have power. The meat is shrink wrapped so it's not a sanitation issue. Gonna do a big batch of anticuchos for a party at the ranch in a couple of weeks.

TeyshaBlue
02-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Holy fuck. Steak nerds.

Drachen
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Holy fuck. Steak nerds.

I'll be honest,I love the way i Cook steak. I also likee experimentation. However, I am most excited for ribs. I suck at making ribs. I an hoping this helps.

ididnotnothat
02-15-2013, 01:15 PM
http://rainbowonyourplate.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Grill-Pan.jpg

That's all I need.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/photos/cowboy-steak-in-pan.jpg

JudynTX
02-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Cosmic, can we get a play by play when you cook your steaks? I want to see a before and after. :D

ididnotnothat
02-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Cosmic, can we get a play by play when you cook your steaks? I want to see a before and after. :D

The above post is a good before and after.

CosmicCowboy
02-15-2013, 01:41 PM
I'll be honest,I love the way i Cook steak. I also likee experimentation. However, I am most excited for ribs. I suck at making ribs. I an hoping this helps.

It's great for beef ribs but not pork ribs.

I can tell you how to do amazing pork ribs if you are interested.

Drachen
02-15-2013, 02:16 PM
It's great for beef ribs but not pork ribs.

I can tell you how to do amazing pork ribs if you are interested.

I am. In fact I am more interested in pork than beef ribs

CosmicCowboy
02-15-2013, 03:10 PM
I am. In fact I am more interested in pork than beef ribs

What do you cook on?

Drachen
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM
What do you cook on?
This isn't mine, but I believe it is the same model.

http://www.bbqlodge.com/my_toys/nbbd_1.jpg

CosmicCowboy
02-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Heres my basic recipe...it's a two (or three) step process...

All ribs cook differently. There is no guaranteed "3 hours at X temperature" recipe.

First buy good meaty ribs whether you do spare ribs or babybacks. Sometimes you will see them on what seems like a great sale but you will find that they trimmed the loins so close (on baby backs especially) that there is hardly any meat on them. It's too much work to use shitty ribs.

I usually work in the big aluminum disposable steam table pans.First step is to get the ribs out of the pack and pat them dry. If I'm feeling industrious I will pull the membrane on the back but I cook them so low and slow the membrane pretty well dissolves anyway.

I will build a big fire in my smoker and let it be warming up while I prep ribs.

Next step is to slather the rib racks in worcestershire sauce and then add a spicy brown sugar BBQ rub to make a paste that covers the ribs on both sides.

When my smoker stabilizes at 210F I will put them on and not even lift the lid for 4 hours, just adding enough wood in the firebox to hold 210.

After 4 hours if the meat is still stuck tight to the bone and hasn't "pulled back" any I will stack the ribs on top of each other and wrap in foil tightly and put them back on for another hour.

After that hour I will check to see if they are starting to loosen on the bone. If they have, I will unwrap them and put them back on the pit to smoke more, but not add any more wood and let the fire gradually die down. If they haven't then it's back it he foil until they do.

They are ready to eat right now and I will usually pull a rack now for the weenies that don't like spicy food. The rest of the ribs I will take to the next level. For the next step you will need a super hot steak grill. I use mesquite and let it burn down to blazing coals but you can also use charcoal or a really hot gas grill.

I cut the remaining racks of ribs into three rib pieces. I make a coating of 1/2 spicy red mop sauce and 1/2 honey. I normally just use a medium hot mop sauce but you can make this as spicy as you want. You can even use the blazing wing sauces, just make sure you mix half and half with honey. If you don't have a mop sauce you can take your favorite BBQ sauce and add apple cider vinegar to thin it down.

Now, coat those riblets with the sauce and using tongs put them on the grill over a HOT fire. Don't put too many on at one time because you will keep flipping and looking and taking them off as they are done...the goal is to get a dry caramelized crust, not a burnt one. Stack them on a warm platter and serve immediately after caramelizing. They are freaking amazing. the bite goes from sweet to spicy and then that low smokey undertone just wraps everything together. They should pull off the bone easily when you bite into them leaving a slick bone or you did it wrong.

lebomb
02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
With my ribs, I use a dry rub of various spices.........place them in the fridge overnight. Next day, I prep the grill/smoker. Put the ribs to the opposite side of the firebox, boneside down and let them smoke for 2-3 hours and the meat pulls back from the bone like Cosmic said.

There are never any leftovers.

CosmicCowboy
02-15-2013, 06:19 PM
With my ribs, I use a dry rub of various spices.........place them in the fridge overnight. Next day, I prep the grill/smoker. Put the ribs to the opposite side of the firebox, boneside down and let them smoke for 2-3 hours and the meat pulls back from the bone like Cosmic said.

There are never any leftovers.

Yeah, cookin em hot is another way but having done both (I've cooked thousands of racks of ribs at the SA Rodeo cookin them hot) I much prefer the results from low and slow.