PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Jordan Hill will all miss Wednesday's game

freetiago
01-07-2013, 03:43 PM
INJURY UPDATE: @DwightHoward has a torn labrum in his right shoulder. He'll travel with the team but is out at least a week.
INJURY UPDATE: @paugasol suffered a concussion and will not travel with the team to Texas.
INJURY UPDATE: @jordanchill43 has an injured hip and also will not be with the team on the upcoming road trip.

even the turd towers will be able to dominate a sacre/jamison frontline

Duncanoypi
01-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan
Dwight Howard has torn labrum in his right shoulder, is out at least a week. Pau Gasol has a concussion, is out at least two games. #Lakers

Dwight Howard has torn labrum, Pau Gasol has a concussion and Jordan Hill has a hip injury. Just another day on Lakersland.

So the spurs will play against Lakers without D-Ho, Pau and possibly Jordan Hill. Expect Kobe to shoot more than 50 shots. :lol

timtonymanu
01-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Well, that definitely changes my level of excitement of seeing the Spurs pummel the Lakers.

FromWayDowntown
01-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Spurs loss coming.

Juggity
01-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Goddamn. Duncan might go for 40-20.

DesignatedT
01-07-2013, 03:51 PM
sweet

spurraider21
01-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Prediction: Kobe goes off, scores 50

Lakers lose by 28

Leetonidas
01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Tony Parker is jizzing himself right now. We may see a new career high in points. No Howard, no Pau, no Hill, and Steve fucking Nash is guarding him? :lmao :lmao

timtonymanu
01-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Ahh ... fuck it. I'll still enjoy the game. Spurs better not fuck this up.

ace3g
01-07-2013, 03:55 PM
lol

Hardwood Paroxysm ‏@HPbasketball (https://twitter.com/HPbasketball) NOW! POP! SIT THE BIG 3 VS. THE LAKERS! DOOO IT! Nash-Kobe-Meeks-MWP-Sacre vs. Neal-Green-Kawhi-Boris-Splitter. DO IT. GIVE INTO YOUR HATE.

Jumi
01-07-2013, 04:00 PM
This is just awesome!!! I wanna see a 30 point ass whooping!!!!!!!!! Show no mercy!!! They'd do it to us!!!

Seventyniner
01-07-2013, 04:00 PM
I seriously thought this was a joke thread. Howard and Pau being out is confirmed on ESPN, though.

timaios
01-07-2013, 04:03 PM
INJURY UPDATE: @DwightHoward has a torn labrum in his right shoulder. He'll travel with the team but is out at least a week.
INJURY UPDATE: @paugasol suffered a concussion and will not travel with the team to Texas.
INJURY UPDATE: @jordanchill43 has an injured hip and also will not be with the team on the upcoming road trip.

What a mess ! :lol
This is more and more ridiculous !

letmk
01-07-2013, 04:05 PM
I would love to see the Lakers' implosion and KB's face when the they are at like 30-40. So any chance to add one more loss to that team is a big plus.

Sportcamper
01-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Robert Sacre (The best back up Big-Man in the NBA) will move to the starting lineup…Spurs are toast! :ihit

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Spurs loss coming.

My thoughts exactly.

Floyd Pacquiao
01-07-2013, 04:14 PM
fucking trap game

timvp
01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
If the Spurs defend Kobe like they did last game (Green basically giving him a five foot cushion), he might go for 90.

TampaDude
01-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Prediction: Kobe goes off, scores 50

Lakers lose by 28

^ this

Texas_Ranger
01-07-2013, 04:19 PM
damn, we fucked.

Clipper Nation
01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
If the Spurs defend Kobe like they did last game (Green basically giving him a five foot cushion), he might go for 90.
....90 shots? :lol

polandprzem
01-07-2013, 04:22 PM
he's no Chamberlain

Mugen
01-07-2013, 04:26 PM

If that's the case, final score:

Spurs 128
Lakers 92

spurraider21
01-07-2013, 04:30 PM
^lmaoooo I'm dying :lol

Bruno
01-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Howard injury might be a big deal. Batum and Bradley tried without success to play through that kind of injury and it ended up with a big surgery. If Howard case end up like that, he will be done for the season.

Raven
01-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Better play your players some more minutes per game Mikey..

polandprzem
01-07-2013, 04:35 PM
They can't do that!
Where is Stern in all this huh? He cannot allow them not playing such important games!

But seriously it might be the end of the Lakers this season, or maybe if Howard is out Pau will start playing better although it's tough to play with the plantar faci..something

btw. It seems like Howard never was serious about his playing and winning championship

Arcadian
01-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Good. We shall royally fuck them up.

eric365
01-07-2013, 04:36 PM
And the Lakers play Houston tomorrow :lol

Lakers will break the record for most opponent points in a back to back with 280 pts

Raven
01-07-2013, 04:36 PM
What about some substantial sanctions? I mean, like trading for Bargnani ..

Namundy
01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Howard injury might be a big deal. Batum and Bradley tried without success to play through that kind of injury and it ended up with a big surgery. If Howard case end up like that, he will be done for the season.

Yea this type of injury typically requires surgery. It's a common baseball pitching injury and if it's not operated on it will continue to linger. For someone who basically makes his living with his hands and arms over his head playing defense, it's going to be an uncomfortable experience every time he reaches over his head.

AFBlue
01-07-2013, 04:39 PM

This. Torn labrum in the shoulder of his shooting arm...ouch! I would be surprised if he wasn't iced for significantly longer and ultimately needed surgery. I mean, it's not as if we're in the playoffs and he can gut it out for a few games...we're less than halfway through the season.

Bad news for Laker fans.

Cane
01-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Lakers are just a bunch of Richard Jeffersons :downspin:

mexpurs21
01-07-2013, 04:42 PM
That will be fun

timvp
01-07-2013, 04:43 PM
I would be shocked to see Howard play another game until next season when he signs somewhere else as a free agent.

freetiago
01-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Lakers coming off a back to back with no depth or frontline
anything less than a spurs franchise for most points scored might be a disappointment tbh
50 year olds nash and jamison will be trying to defend a pick and roll for 48 minutes
and mwp will be playing center confirmed by pringles

Captivus
01-07-2013, 04:51 PM
he's no Chamberlain

Are you sure??!!

rascal
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
My thoughts exactly.

No way.

szkorhetz
01-07-2013, 05:20 PM
I would be shocked to see Howard play another game until next season when he signs somewhere else as a free agent.
Do you really think his back is that bad, or Torn Labrum?
Or he already got tired from Kobe?

DPG21920
01-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Lakers in a classic Spurs-type win/win. If they win, it's a big boost their confidence with their top players out. If they lose, no big deal because they have the injury excuse. They can't lose..

eric365
01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Lakers in a classic Spurs-type win/win. If they win, it's a big boost their confidence with their top players out. If they lose, no big deal because they have the injury excuse. They can't lose..

Missing the playoff is not exactly "winning"

Mel_13
01-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Especially when you don't even get to keep your lottery pick.

TimmehC
01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
I smell a trap.

DPG21920
01-07-2013, 05:28 PM

blue fonted.

gameFACE
01-07-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm on the trap game side of this. Spurs can't play down.

Libri
01-07-2013, 05:30 PM
I smell a trap.

For my fantasy team.

FromWayDowntown
01-07-2013, 05:35 PM
It's a slightly different situation, but last season, the Lakers waltzed into SA to play a rested Spurs team that was, for all intents and purposes, on an 11-game winning streak (they had punted the preceding game in Utah by leaving the Big 3 at home) and smacked around the Spurs without Kobe in Bynum's 30 rebound game and on a night when MWP just didn't miss.

Don't go counting this one as a win quite yet, Spurs fans. Your team has had some let down problems when other teams' stars are missing. And there's a big, big game on the other side of that one, at Memphis.

TheSkeptic
01-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Aren't the Spurs playing them on the second half of a back to back? Howard, Gasol, and Hill all gone?

...I honestly wouldn't complain if Pop decided to make this game competitive by starting Bonner and Blair.

TheSkeptic
01-07-2013, 05:36 PM

You're kidding.

Ouch!

polandprzem
01-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Are you sure??!!

chapnis
I'm confident the Spurs will win, but it is a trap so we need to be careful.

Mel_13
You're kidding.

Ouch!

Yeah, I thought the pick was lottery protected, but it's not. Any lottery pick goes to the Suns.

rascal
01-07-2013, 05:44 PM

Still plenty of time to trade for one.

Mel_13
01-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Still plenty of time to trade for one.

Well, with a 100 million payroll they should have some attractive assets...

rascal
01-07-2013, 05:51 PM

More power to them. One reason but not the only one why they are better. other teams have had the money and have not done as well. The lakers have the power and assets to get the players while the Spurs never have the assets.

When Duncan rides out of town it will be a struggle for the Spurs to survive in San Antonio for long with a losing record.

Mal
01-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Kobe going all alone vs 12 men Spurs` rotation, could be fun.

Mel_13
01-07-2013, 05:56 PM
More power to them. One reason but not the only one why they are better. other teams have had the money and have not done as well. The lakers have the power and assets to get the players while the Spurs never have the assets.

When Duncan rides out of town it will be a struggle for the Spurs to survive in San Antonio for long with a losing record.

The primary reason, along with their market. They start with a substantial advantage over nearly every franchise in the NBA. With a better front office, they would have leveraged that advantage into something better than 2 titles in 10 years.

Well, you've been schooled again. Perhaps it will stick this time.

TheSkeptic
01-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I thought the pick was lottery protected, but it's not. Any lottery pick goes to the Suns.

What a mess.

Oh man. I hope their front office messes up terribly.

Richie
01-07-2013, 06:02 PM

According to this (http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/12/31/lakers-suns-draft-2013/index.html), the pick will only go to the Suns if the Heat miss the playoffs for some strange reason.

Edit: But the Cavs fans who are also involved seem to think that isn't the case, and that if it's in the lottery it's going to the Suns

spurraider21
01-07-2013, 06:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

Bruno
01-07-2013, 06:11 PM
With Nash, Kobe and Artest, Lakers have enough talent to win games. It will up to Spurs to not take them lightly.

Dunc n Dave
01-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Tony Parker is jizzing himself right now. We may see a new career high in points. No Howard, no Pau, no Hill, and Steve fucking Nash is guarding him? :lmao :lmao

Lately Kobe has guarded PGs, so don't bank on it. They'll probably put Kobe on Parker, Artest on Manu/Leonard, and let Nash shadow Danny Green or Neal when they are in the game.

eric365
01-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Lately Kobe has guarded PGs, so don't bank on it. They'll probably put Kobe on Parker, Artest on Manu/Leonard, and let Nash shadow Danny Green or Neal when they are in the game.

So at the 6 minute mark in the 1st quarter when Manu get in for Danny Green, who Nash is guarding?
The spurs lineup being Parker / Manu / Leonard / Duncan / Splitter

Same problem in clutch time if it's a close game but let's be real, it will be Mills, De Colo and Blair time in the 4th quarter

Ghjkll
01-07-2013, 06:19 PM
If they put Bryant on Parker, then he will score at will. Kobe no longer has the speed and stamina required to play defense on a player who is smaller, quicker and faster. And of course, almost 5 years younger. Good luck with that plan. The Spurs should stay focused, play hard and win with ease. Don´t fall into the trap and relax.

Mel_13
01-07-2013, 06:23 PM
According to this (http://www.nba.com/2012/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/12/31/lakers-suns-draft-2013/index.html), the pick will only go to the Suns if the Heat miss the playoffs for some strange reason.

Edit: But the Cavs fans who are also involved seem to think that isn't the case, and that if it's in the lottery it's going to the Lakers

That's what I thought until last night. Check Larry Coon's twitter. He says that the Lakers won't keep their pick.

spurraider21
01-07-2013, 06:28 PM
lol at the notion of kobe guarding parker... he's gna be fighting screens all game long. not the glamour he's used to

DPG21920
01-07-2013, 06:34 PM
With Nash, Kobe and Artest, Lakers have enough talent to win games. It will up to Spurs to not take them lightly.

However, with Nash, Kobe, Artest, Pau and Dwight Howard they don't have enough talent.

look_at_g_shred
01-07-2013, 06:37 PM
I don't think you guys understand. It's the Lakers we are talking about here. As long is Kobe is in the line-up Timmy, Parker, and Manu will be motivated as well as the whole team. Im sure the big three haven't forgotten our heated rivalry during the Shaq-Kobe era. I know I haven't! Then you throw Nash in the mix whom we've also been through numerous battles in the playoffs! I feel we will bring it no doubt! Memphis better watch out too!

will_spurs
01-07-2013, 06:44 PM

Both Bynum and Howard are on parallel trajectories, then...

phxspurfan
01-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Jackson, Diaw, Bonner and Mills for Howard and Sacre.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b97x6a8

chapnis
01-07-2013, 06:49 PM
^ Not sure if joking or not...

phxspurfan
01-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Howard would play with Duncan, Parker and Manu. Jackson would get waived and come back. Diaw sucks. Bonner and Mills, meh

I would be GM of the year omfg

rascal
01-07-2013, 06:57 PM
The primary reason, along with their market. They start with a substantial advantage over nearly every franchise in the NBA. With a better front office, they would have leveraged that advantage into something better than 2 titles in 10 years.

Well, you've been schooled again. Perhaps it will stick this time.

Don't be so damn condescending. That is the impression I get from your personality in here , boy I hate people like that. It is your opinion vs mine and that is all it is.

The Spurs had the advantage of lucky lottery balls to land both Robinson and then Duncan and still watched the Lakers win back to back to back titles with both Robinson and Duncan on the roster. That is a pitiful showing for the Spurs front office to not win with both Robinson and Duncan during those three years. The players the Spurs rode with during those early Robinson/Duncan years were just not good enough to get past the lakers. It took a Kobe vs O'Neal meltdown and their breakup for the Spurs to get back to the top again.

5 championship titles and 7 WC titles for the Lakers to the Spurs 4 titles and 4 WC titles since the Spurs first title in 1999. The lakers doing it with front office moves to acquire their top players while the Spurs ride the lottery lucky ping pong bounces of Robinson/Duncan to 2 titles in 6 years and 2 other titles with a couple of good late draft picks.

front office moves winner- Lakers
I'll give you draft picks winner-Spurs

The Spurs need lottery luck and get their top players only through the draft while the lakers make moves with trades, free agency.

Which franchise has the brighter future for success, the franchise that is strapped financially and can only get good players through their draft picks or the franchise that can overhaul a roster on the fly with bold moves to acquire impact stars in their prime?

RD2191
01-07-2013, 07:02 PM
you're a dumbass rascal. duncan got injured while trying to defend his first title. also the Lakers must give handjobs to other front offices because they pull off some of the most lopsided trades in nba history. do you honestly think that all of those trades were legit? BULL. also the refs ALWAYS helped the Lakers on their title runs.

rascal
01-07-2013, 07:03 PM

The lakers advantage over the Spurs is their front line.

chapnis
01-07-2013, 07:05 PM
The lakers advantage over the Spurs is their front line.

Probably not for this next game though...

Mel_13
01-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Don't be so damn condescending.

:cry

Which franchise has the brighter future for success, the franchise that is strapped financially and can only get good players through their draft picks or the franchise that can overhaul a roster on the fly with bold moves to acquire impact stars in their prime?

:rollin

Once again, you destroy your own case. The Lakers have the greater chance for future success because of their market and their money, not because of the proficiency of their front office.

Look at where the Lakers were after the 2002 season. Three straight titles, Kobe and Shaq in their primes, and Phil Jackson on the bench. Add the advantages of their market and their money.

What have they accomplished from that position of strength?

2 titles in 10 years. Looking at 2 titles in 11 years and a second trip to the lottery in that time frame. A great front office would have done so much more with such an embarrassment of riches.

One last point. Maybe this one will penetrate.

If the Laker front office is so much better than the Spur front office, why do so many franchises around the NBA choose to hire disciples of Popovich and Buford? Why don't they hire former Laker assistants to run their franchises? Think about it. The answer is obvious.

rascal
01-07-2013, 07:13 PM
The Spurs future after Duncan: St. Louis Spurs

San Antonio won't support a losing team for long.

Mel_13
01-07-2013, 07:15 PM

You really can't wait.for the Spurs to start losing. One wonders why...

Also irrelevant to the beating you're taking in this thread.

chapnis
01-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Maybe a losing team won't last long in San Antonio (I have no idea), but maybe they won't be a losing team? A team with Splitter, Green, Kawhi, Parker and others is still a playoff team.

rascal
01-07-2013, 07:20 PM

Lakers hoist up more hardware than the Spurs built on their bold roster moves. Take that beating.

rascal
01-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Maybe a losing team won't last long in San Antonio (I have no idea), but maybe they won't be a losing team? A team with Splitter, Green, Kawhi, Parker and others is still a playoff team.

That is not a playoff team if that is the core and best players.

chapnis
01-07-2013, 07:22 PM
That is not a playoff team if that is the core and best players.

With a good system in place it is.

Ice009
01-07-2013, 07:24 PM
But seriously it might be the end of the Lakers this season, or maybe if Howard is out Pau will start playing better although it's tough to play with the plantar faci..something

I thought that he had tendinitis? This is the second time I've now read Plantar Fasciitis? Has he got that too?

rascal
01-07-2013, 07:25 PM

I have been a Spurs fan before you were even born. Just because I don't like the front office and many of the players they settled on after getting the top two bigs in the game from lottery luck doesn't mean I want the Spurs to fail.

I don't believe the city will support a losing team for long and I can see the team moving to St. Louis.

RD2191
01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
MOVING TO St. Louis???? LOL

Mel_13
01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Lakers hoist up more hardware than the Spurs built on their bold roster moves. Take that beating.

:lol

You really do like the Lakers.

Anyway, 5-4 since MJ left the NBA.

Bold roster moves = outspending the Spurs by tens of millions of dollars every season.

It's really bold for the richest guy on the block to buy the most toys.

If they had a better a front office they would have a much bigger advantage. The fact that the margin is so close is a tribute to the Spurs front office.

Mel_13
01-07-2013, 07:30 PM
I have been a Spurs fan before you were even born.

No, you haven't.

Just because I don't like the front office and many of the players they settled on after getting the top two bigs in the game from lottery luck doesn't mean I want the Spurs to fail.

Really? Your posting history tells a different story

I don't believe the city will support a losing team for long and I can see the team moving to St. Louis.

Still irrelevant.

Mugen
01-07-2013, 07:33 PM
my favorite rascal moment is when he said an Artest elbow to the head wouldn't even knock him down :lol

spurraider21
01-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Houston is one of the few teams that pushes the pace as fast (if not faster) than we like to do. The Lakers will be dead tired from that game alone, and with the lack of frontcourt depth, it will be their non-conditioned backups being tired. Sheesh. The only way we lose this game is if Pop sits the big 8 (not a typo)

Old School 44
01-07-2013, 07:46 PM
The thing I'll be curious to see is how many Laker bandwagon fans show up to this game. Usually, there's a huge turnout. I bet a lot of them will sell their tickets or just won't show up.

maverick1948
01-07-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm totally pi$$ed off. I bought my wife and I tickets to this game. Paid $165 each. Got us room at the motel and had dinner and breakfast plans made. Now the fricking Lakers are going to rest their team? STERN?????????????????????????????????????? WHERE ARE THE FINES?????? Nationally televised game and we get to see the backup for the Lakers and it is alright? STERN REFUND MY MONEY OR REFUND THE SPURS $250000 FINE.

I checked with my bookie and he said the Vegas book has Kobe going out by the half with back spasms and Nash will lay on the floor the entire 4th quarter.

Mel_13
01-07-2013, 07:48 PM
The thing I'll be curious to see is how many Laker bandwagon fans show up to this game. Usually, there's a huge turnout. I bet a lot of them will sell their tickets or just won't show up.

It will be the smallest turnout of Faker fans since the years between Shaq and Gasol.

Captivus
01-07-2013, 07:50 PM

WOW...I was actually implying he could do it...but hey...sorry to bother you...
260!! yeah!!! my son loves me more now!!

chapnis
01-07-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm totally pi$$ed off. I bought my wife and I tickets to this game. Paid $165 each. Got us room at the motel and had dinner and breakfast plans made. Now the fricking Lakers are going to rest their team? STERN?????????????????????????????????????? WHERE ARE THE FINES?????? Nationally televised game and we get to see the backup for the Lakers and it is alright? STERN REFUND MY MONEY OR REFUND THE SPURS $250000 FINE.

I checked with my bookie and he said the Vegas book has Kobe going out by the half with back spasms and Nash will lay on the floor the entire 4th quarter.

:lol

phxspurfan
01-07-2013, 08:15 PM

Seattle Spurs?

letmk
01-07-2013, 08:32 PM
If they put Bryant on Parker, then he will score at will. Kobe no longer has the speed and stamina required to play defense on a player who is smaller, quicker and faster. And of course, almost 5 years younger. Good luck with that plan. The Spurs should stay focused, play hard and win with ease. Don´t fall into the trap and relax.

To me, KB is even 10x more overrated as a defender than as an overall player. For at least 5-6 years, his defense capability has been at most above average in NBA, and how he plays defense has been half-joke after Shaq left and he became the No.1 choice (sans nationally televised games, and even in those high-profile games he plays only fake hustles like JVG used to say).

And that he constantly gets voted into all-defense team is a total joke in itself, even more laughable than Derek Jeter got voted into Gold Glove.

rascal
01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Seattle Spurs?

No Seattle will get the expansion team.

ffadicted
01-07-2013, 10:08 PM
tbh lakers wll prob play better and win

Johnny RIngo
01-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Houston is one of the few teams that pushes the pace as fast (if not faster) than we like to do. The Lakers will be dead tired from that game alone, and with the lack of frontcourt depth, it will be their non-conditioned backups being tired. Sheesh. The only way we lose this game is if Pop sits the big 8 (not a typo)

Rockets haven't looked good against the Lakers this season though

99 Problems
01-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Yesterdays prediction of the Blairinator dunking over Dwight is clearly not going to become reality. I know a lot of you gunna be disappointed now.

jmard5
01-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Lakers will be facing the Rockets and then the Spurs. With the Lakers coming from a back-to-back, no reason for the big 3 not to play. Spurs does not even have a game the next day. Here's hoping the Spurs blow them out early and let the bench play for extended minutes.

bus driver
01-08-2013, 10:09 AM
i wonder if all the tshirts will show up tomorrow night......

tp2021
01-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't believe I will support a losing team for long and I can't wait to see the team moving to St. Louis.

Well I guess St. Louis Lakers does make more sense.

lmbebo
01-08-2013, 01:41 PM

Depends on the kind of tear, the grade of the tear, etc.

Most common are SLAP tears, but you'll see those overhead throwing motions like those of baseball pitchers. He could conceivably come back soon. If its a higher grade lesion, then they made need to scope him.

Mel_13
01-08-2013, 01:46 PM
i wonder if all the tshirts will show up tomorrow night......

Prices on the resale market have dropped about 50% for upper level tickets since the news came out.

http://www.ticketsnow.com/NBA/InventoryBrowse/San-Antonio-Spurs-Tickets-at-AT-T-Center-in-San-Antonio-1-9-2013?PID=1309215

http://www.stubhub.com/san-antonio-spurs-tickets/san-antonio-spurs-san-antonio-at-t-center-1-9-2013-4119332/

lefty
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm afraid the turd towers will get more minutes :pctoss

Bruno
01-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Depends on the kind of tear, the grade of the tear, etc.

Most common are SLAP tears, but you'll see those overhead throwing motions like those of baseball pitchers. He could conceivably come back soon. If its a higher grade lesion, then they made need to scope him.

The issue isn't on whether he can come back, it's if he can stay healthy with a structurally damaged shoulder. Players like Batum or Bradley were fine and played with that injury before not being able to take it anymore. For example, Howard shoulder must hold up when he will set up a screen and a player will run into him.

rascal
01-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Well I guess St. Louis Spurs does make sense.

lmbebo
01-08-2013, 06:37 PM
The issue isn't on whether he can come back, it's if he can stay healthy with a structurally damaged shoulder. Players like Batum or Bradley were fine and played with that injury before not being able to take it anymore. For example, Howard shoulder must hold up when he will set up a screen and a player will run into him.

Hi, with a torn labrum it isn't so much about setting a screen, etc. Most people with torn labrums have no issues keeping there arms at there sides.

Its more about the movement's can or cannot make he can make with his arm as well as potential instability.

Issue is if he can continue to function? He may have shoulder instability, he may be unable to raise his arms (block a shot, grab a rebound, play defense).

Bruno
01-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Hi, with a torn labrum it isn't so much about setting a screen, etc. Most people with torn labrums have no issues keeping there arms at there sides.

You don't get what I said.

The issue isn't with the position of the shoulder, it's about being hit in the shoulder. When Howard will set screens, players will sometimes run into his shoulder. With the torn labrum, his shoulder is weaker and will suffer from these hits. The same thing will be true when he will bang in the paint or when his arm will be caught by an opponent while fighting for a rebound.

Even if his shoulder get back his full mobility and Howard is painless, it doesn't mean that Howard will be fine. His shoulder will need to hold up to all the hits and twists he will get during games.

TD 21
01-08-2013, 11:03 PM
I was concerned about this game before these injuries, even more concerned after them and am especially concerned now that they lost again tonight. It doesn't matter how shorthanded/bad they are, those assholes are due to win a game, particularly against a good team.

Given that the Spurs are coming off an inexplicable loss, you'd think they wouldn't take them lightly. But even if they don't, I have a bad feeling that Pop is going to try to match the small lineups D'Antoni will play, instead of doing to them what they've done to the Spurs for years: Pounding them down low relentlessly. Not that Sacre is any good, but if they can get him in foul trouble, they'll literally have no one with the requisite size to guard Duncan and to a lesser extent, Splitter.

chapnis
01-08-2013, 11:55 PM
TD for a 30/10 game?

tp2021
01-09-2013, 11:16 AM
I suffered a torn labrum in my non-shooting shoulder two summers ago. Anytime I did any sort of "explosive" movement in which my arm was extended (going for a block/board/steal/errant pass) my shoulder would subluxate from the shoulder socket and the pain was almost unbearable until the muscles naturally pop it back into place. And then it was really sore and more susceptible to popping out again.

The first option is rehab to strengthen the muscles, hoping that they are enough to keep the proximal head of the humerus from popping out. That didn't work for me. I needed surgery to fix it, and after 6 months of physical therapy I feel back to 100% with no fear of it popping out in-game.

There's no way an NBA bigman can go through 2/3rds of the season with this injury. He'd have to be taking pain injections during timeouts.

midnightpulp
01-09-2013, 11:57 AM
I suffered a torn labrum in my non-shooting shoulder two summers ago. Anytime I did any sort of "explosive" movement in which my arm was extended (going for a block/board/steal/errant pass) my shoulder would subluxate from the shoulder socket and the pain was almost unbearable until the muscles naturally pop it back into place. And then it was really sore and more susceptible to popping out again.

The first option is rehab to strengthen the muscles, hoping that they are enough to keep the proximal head of the humerus from popping out. That didn't work for me. I needed surgery to fix it, and after 6 months of physical therapy I feel back to 100% with no fear of it popping out in-game.

There's no way an NBA bigman can go through 2/3rds of the season with this injury. He'd have to be taking pain injections during timeouts.

Dwight's downplaying it, saying it's not "torn" but "separated." What's essentially the difference?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8826998/dwight-howard-los-angeles-lakers-downplays-severity-shoulder-injury-says-no-labrum-tear

Darkwaters
01-09-2013, 12:02 PM
dddAi8FF3F4

tp2021
01-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Dwight's downplaying it, saying it's not "torn" but "separated." What's essentially the difference?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...no-labrum-tear

Well the article even says he technically has a tear. The labrum is like connective tissue which helps keep the humerus in the shoulder socket. The shoulder is the most flexible joint in the body, and it is not a strict "ball and socket" joint as some plastic toys might lead you to believe. The labrum helps to complete the socket formed around the humeral head.

It sounds like a corner of the tissue has already torn from (or to use Dwight's word, is beginning to separate from) the bone in his shoulder. I don't see how it could get any better, unless he does absolutely nothing with his arm until the tissue fixes itself. Otherwise, it will continue to tear away from the bone, and when that happens, a secondary type of "pocket" forms in the shoulder which the head of the humerus will sit in just as well as it would sit in the true socket, other than the unbearable pain. I'm talking "the pickup game stops because everyone is staring at the guy yelling like a zombie is eating him" pain.

My surgery consisted of suturing the torn tissue back together (my labrum itself was torn, in addition to being torn from the bone) endoscopically, and my surgeon actually brought my humerus closer into my shoulder than it was naturally, to help reduce flexibility and increase the structural integrity. My rehab was then all about getting my ROM back for about 2-3 weeks, followed by strengthening. Before any of this, though, I had my arm immobilized in a sling for 2 weeks straight so that the tissue itself could heal.

Of course, being young and in good health aided in my fairly quick rehab, but the recovery from the surgery itself was greatly influenced by my type of injury. I had a specific type of Bankart lesion known as a Bony bankart tear, in which a piece of bone is separated from the rest of the bone, and remains attached to the torn/separated labrum. My surgeon says that bone heals to bone much more readily than the connective tissue would, so I'm interested to hear more about Dwight's "separation."

midnightpulp
01-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Well the article even says he technically has a tear. The labrum is like connective tissue which helps keep the humerus in the shoulder socket. The shoulder is the most flexible joint in the body, and it is not a strict "ball and socket" joint as some plastic toys might lead you to believe. The labrum helps to complete the socket formed around the humeral head.

It sounds like a corner of the tissue has already torn from (or to use Dwight's word, is beginning to separate from) the bone in his shoulder. I don't see how it could get any better, unless he does absolutely nothing with his arm until the tissue fixes itself. Otherwise, it will continue to tear away from the bone, and when that happens, a secondary type of "pocket" forms in the shoulder which the head of the humerus will sit in just as well as it would sit in the true socket, other than the unbearable pain. I'm talking "the pickup game stops because everyone is staring at the guy yelling like a zombie is eating him" pain.

My surgery consisted of suturing the torn tissue back together (my labrum itself was torn, in addition to being torn from the bone) endoscopically, and my surgeon actually brought my humerus closer into my shoulder than it was naturally, to help reduce flexibility and increase the structural integrity. My rehab was then all about getting my ROM back for about 2-3 weeks, followed by strengthening. Before any of this, though, I had my arm immobilized in a sling for 2 weeks straight so that the tissue itself could heal.

Of course, being young and in good health aided in my fairly quick rehab, but the recovery from the surgery itself was greatly influenced by my type of injury. I had a specific type of Bankart lesion known as a Bony bankart tear, in which a piece of bone is separated from the rest of the bone, and remains attached to the torn/separated labrum. My surgeon says that bone heals to bone much more readily than the connective tissue would, so I'm interested to hear more about Dwight's "separation."

Ouch. Wonder what the timetable on Dwight's return will be?

deibero
01-09-2013, 12:44 PM
anyone else nervous for this game? i have a bad feeling and think like someone said above that lakers are due for a win, but when you look on paper theres seems no way they can beat the spurs with whom they have tonight!

lin was going nuts yesterday blowing by nash and no resistance at the rim, should be a picnic for TP. Manu may even throw down a couple... Not to mention duncan down low or splitter in the pnr...

tp2021
01-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Ouch. Wonder what the timetable on Dwight's return will be?

The typical timetable is 6-12 months, with the lower end usually consisting of young athletes. I'd imagine (from a medical standpoint) that the best course of action would be to shut him down immediately and get the process started as soon as possible before it gets any worse. Of course, the Lakers may not be thinking strictly from a medical standpoint.

Honestly, I don't see how they don't just go straight to the surgery option. My doctor wanted me to try physical therapy first, but bigger stronger shoulders don't do anything for a torn labrum (much to Dwight's dismay I'm sure). Usually, because of the high success rate of the procedure, young people and athletes would just have it done and get it over with.

Traditionally, the no-surgery option is for older individuals who aren't gonna have their arm pop out whilst skying for a rejection at the rim. They only perform more gentle, controlled movements with their arms in their day-to-day lives; they only want to get by without discomfort. It was the quick/explosive movements in which my arm was extended that caused it to pop out from my own momentum (more times than I care to remember). Contact to the shoulder only caused it to pop out once; not from setting a pick or fighting through one, but from trying to take a charge.

Of course, I don't play in the NBA.

tp2021
01-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dwight in visible pain the next time he blocks a shot with the affected limb...if he doesn't get surgery first, of course.