PDA

View Full Version : Suns: Suns trying to get Rudy Gay

Clipper Nation
01-08-2013, 12:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--suns-in-trade-talks-for-rudy-gay-165005609.html;_ylt=Ai85nSH_WKgKcSQhVnDhjjq8vLYF;_ ylu=X3oDMTRrZGZzN2tzBG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBMaXN0IE 5CQSBFeHBlcnRzBHBrZwM5YzEwNzc4Yi01YWQ1LTNhOTQtOTg5 ZS01ZWQ5MjlhMzM5ODAEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01lZGlhQkxpc3RNaX hlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgMwNjAyZmE2MS01OWI0LTExZTItOWRh Zi00YjQ3ODcwNWFhNTQ-;_ylg=X3oDMTFoNjVvZWVyBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuYmEEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

The Memphis Grizzlies and Phoenix Suns are engaged in trade talks centered on forward Rudy Gay, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Grizzlies have been shopping Gay to multiple teams, and found an interested trade partner with the Suns, sources said.

There's no framework of a possible deal in place, but the Grizzlies have expressed a strong desire that any package involving Gay include Suns forward Jared Dudley and future first-round draft picks, sources said.

In an effort to avoid paying luxury tax in the short term, as well as get off the $16.8 million and $19.3 million owed Gay in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons, new Memphis management has aggressively shopped Gay. The Grizzlies have made proposals on Gay to several teams, front-office sources told Yahoo! Sports.

midnightpulp
01-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Memphis just doing what they do. Giving away their good players for jackshit.

Some people might be in favor of this trade, considering Gay is shooting 40 percent this year, but one thing these grind-it-out teams usually desperately need are perimeter scorers since they can be prone to scoring droughts.

Another great move by the Memphis front office :tu

midnightpulp
01-08-2013, 12:45 PM
And I'm not sure it's altogether wise for the Suns to be giving up first round picks since they're going to be in rebuilding mode for the next two years.

Mel_13
01-08-2013, 12:45 PM
A more accurate title might be: Grizz trying to dump Rudy Gay.

The Suns have done some stupid stuff since Kerr left, but taking on Gay's contract while giving up first round picks for the privilege of helping Memphis out of their luxury tax hell would go to the top of the list.

TheRealCB
01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
So it's gonna be Clips vs Grizz in the WFC.

Mal
01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
With or without Gay Suns are going anywhere in the near future. So price should be small. I wouldnt give lottery pick for him, especially when Grizzlies are dumping him for cheaper players.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Memphis just doing what they do. Giving away their good players for jackshit.

Some people might be in favor of this trade, considering Gay is shooting 40 percent this year, but one thing these grind-it-out teams usually desperately need are perimeter scorers since they can be prone to scoring droughts.

Another great move by the Memphis front office :tu
The Suns' FO is pretty much emotionally attached to the idea that building through the draft is horrible and since Babby + Blanks have an inferiority complex, they get extremely entrenched in ideals that they support, even if those ideals have led to horrible trades.

I say this because I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the Suns give away their 1st round pick this year unprotected in a Rudy Gay trade in which case Memphis makes a decent trade. The Steve Nash trade was the exception to a rebuilding team that's otherwise exhibited an odd willingness to trade draft picks for a short term bandaid.

Babby and Blanks might know something we don't that if they can't turn the Suns around by next season they're out so there might be a willingness of them to start going for broke.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-08-2013, 12:50 PM

The Suns have done some stupid stuff since Kerr left, but taking on Gay's contract while giving up first round picks for the privilege of helping Memphis out of their luxury tax hell would go to the top of the list.
The Suns' already fucked any cap space they might have with several retarded contracts so adding Gay's deal wouldn't bother me too much (it would probably bother Sarver though). Them giving away their 1st round pick this year because the front office is still in denial about them being a rebuilding team is what would make this top Babby's list of retarded decisions.

baseline bum
01-08-2013, 12:51 PM
And I'm not sure it's altogether wise for the Suns to be giving up first round picks since they're going to be in rebuilding mode for the next two years.

I'd have no problem giving up 2013 picks for much lesser players than Gay.

midnightpulp

I think it's also fuckin' stupid to try to dump Gay right now in the regular season. Memphis, for all my criticisms of the antiquated style they play, could be a dangerous playoff team and possibly a dark horse contender. Why break up a contending team at this point and not wait until after the post-season? If the Grizzlies make some noise and Gay has a good playoff run, his value could sky-rocket.

freetiago
Good move for Memphis
they were an elite team when they shot the ball above their career average
now that theyve cooled down they were at .500 for december

too easy to just pack the paint and dare that team to shoot
trading gay for some bench depth and more importantly shooters will make memphis elite
dudley is a decent defender and solid shooter
they might be doing a 3 team trade to match salaries and stockpile more shooters

midnightpulp
01-08-2013, 12:53 PM

Yeah, cause our picks would be in the low 20s :lol

baseline bum
01-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Yeah, cause our picks would be in the low 20s :lol

I mean I'd have no problem moving 2013 picks for Gay in Phoenix's situation, considering how shitty a draft this is going to be.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-08-2013, 12:55 PM

From the Suns' perspective, it would be stupid. They currently have the 6th overall pick and there's no way any other team is offering an asset that valuable for a player Memphis has made it obvious they're trying to unload.

If I had to guess, I'd say even Lon Babby knows how stupid he would be to trade their unprotected pick for Gay, but it wouldn't be a surprise at all and would be completely within character for Babby to do it.

Mel_13
01-08-2013, 12:57 PM
The Suns' already fucked any cap space they might have with several retarded contracts so adding Gay's deal wouldn't bother me too much (it would probably bother Sarver though). Them giving away their 1st round pick this year because the front office is still in denial about them being a rebuilding team is what would make this top Babby's list of retarded decisions.

Which was my point. Teams, like Phoenix, that are well under the cap right now, need to be looking to sell/rent that cap space at a premium to teams that are desperate to get under the tax. Remember the Suns paid 2 first round picks to Seattle in order to unload Thomas into their cap space. By all accounts, Memphis is desperate to get under the tax. There are only a few teams that can get them there, with Phoenix being one of them. No need to send draft choices to acquire Gay.

Clipper Nation
01-08-2013, 12:59 PM
So it's gonna be Clips vs Grizz in the WFC.
Tbh, Gay for Dudley seems like a lateral move at best for the Grizz, and they still lack a legitimate closer.... Clips/Spurs in the WCF, imho...

Mel_13
01-08-2013, 01:01 PM
I think it's also fuckin' stupid to try to dump Gay right now in the regular season. Memphis, for all my criticisms of the antiquated style they play, could be a dangerous playoff team and possibly a dark horse contender. Why break up a contending team at this point and not wait until after the post-season? If the Grizzlies make some noise and Gay has a good playoff run, his value could sky-rocket.

They've come to the conclusion that Gay doesn't help them win. They may be right, they may be wrong, but it's not like the notion that Gay is an overpaid chucker hasn't been raised before. I see your point, but a trade as contemplated in the OP is much worse for Phoenix than it is for Memphis. At least IMO.

lefty
01-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Jerry West doin' work

midnightpulp
01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
The Suns' FO is pretty much emotionally attached to the idea that building through the draft is horrible and since Babby + Blanks have an inferiority complex, they get extremely entrenched in ideals that they support, even if those ideals have led to horrible trades.

I say this because I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the Suns give away their 1st round pick this year unprotected in a Rudy Gay trade in which case Memphis makes a decent trade. The Steve Nash trade was the exception to a rebuilding team that's otherwise exhibited an odd willingness to trade draft picks for a short term bandaid.

Babby and Blanks might know something we don't that if they can't turn the Suns around by next season they're out so there might be a willingness of them to start going for broke.

It's like they're wannabe Mitch Kupchak's over there :lol

Seems to me to be a bad trade for both teams. This is probably the best Memphis team since '11. Perhaps traditional playoff basketball returns to form this year (rebounds, best low post game = rings and all that) and Memphis's style proves effective and they go on a run. But obviously Memphis's owners are more committed to saving money than winning anything, which is understandable from a business perspective, but sucks ass if you're a fan of the team.

Unless they see something in this Ellington kid who just dropped 26 last night.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Which was my point. Teams, like Phoenix, that are well under the cap right now, need to be looking to sell/rent that cap space at a premium to teams that are desperate to get under the tax. Remember the Suns paid 2 first round picks to Seattle in order to unload Thomas into their cap space. By all accounts, Memphis is desperate to get under the tax. There are only a few teams that can get them there, with Phoenix being one of them. No need to send draft choices to acquire Gay.
OK then I agree there. My only disagreement is using the Seattle/Phoenix trade as it's an unrealistic example you'll only find when there's a rare combination of A) rookie general manager with little to no authority at the time, B) coach who openly says, "I'm not here to develop players," which makes draft picks pointless, and C) owner who wants to save money and gave the head coach mentioned in B) way too much control :lol.

midnightpulp
01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
They've come to the conclusion that Gay doesn't help them win. They may be right, they may be wrong, but it's not like the notion that Gay is an overpaid chucker hasn't been raised before. I see your point, but a trade as contemplated in the OP is much worse for Phoenix than it is for Memphis. At least IMO.

I agree that he's overpaid, but a great defensive/offensively challenged team like Memphis needs all the scoring they can get, especially from a wing who can create his own shot like Gay.

But like said in a previous post, maybe they see something in Ellington. And if Memphis makes this move and things miraculously work out for them like they did with the Gasol trade, I'll have to give their FO props.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-08-2013, 01:11 PM
It's like they're wannabe Mitch Kupchak's over there :lol

Seems to me to be a bad trade for both teams. This is probably the best Memphis team since '11. Perhaps traditional playoff basketball returns to form this year (rebounds, best low post game = rings and all that) and Memphis's style proves effective and they go on a run. But obviously Memphis's owners are more committed to saving money than winning anything, which is understandable from a business perspective, but sucks ass if you're a fan of the team.

Unless they see something in this Ellington kid who just dropped 26 last night.

It would definitely be a bad trade for Memphis in the short term. Even in 2011 they lost a close series to OKC largely because they had no wing scoring and had long droughts on offense.

midnightpulp
01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
It would definitely be a bad trade for Memphis in the short term. Even in 2011 they lost a close series to OKC largely because they had no wing scoring and had long droughts on offense.

Yep. I think they're in win now mode since Z-Bo probably doesn't have very many double-double years left in him. He's one of those type of players who can fall off the cliff in a year.

Mel_13
01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
OK then I agree there. My only disagreement is using the Seattle/Phoenix trade as it's an unrealistic example you'll only find when there's a rare combination of A) rookie general manager with little to no authority at the time, B) coach who openly says, "I'm not here to develop players," which makes draft picks pointless, and C) owner who wants to save money and gave the head coach mentioned in B) way too much control :lol.

:lol

For sure, the situations are not strictly analogous.

I just believe that Phoenix possesses a valuable asset (cap space) that can be sold at any time up to the trade deadline. They shouldn't have to give up other valuable assets (draft picks) in order to sell a commodity that figures to be in high demand.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-08-2013, 01:18 PM
I wish Grant Hill were still with the Suns just so he could be part of this deal.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-08-2013, 01:20 PM
A big problem with Rudy Gay's offense is Lionell Hollins. He's a great cheerleader/motivator who got Memphis to start playing defense, but he's an absolutely horrible X's and O's offensive coach which leads to a lot of possessions where Rudy Gay goes 1 on 5.

Mel_13
01-08-2013, 01:22 PM
I agree that he's overpaid, but a great defensive/offensively challenged team like Memphis needs all the scoring they can get, especially from a wing who can create his own shot like Gay.

But like said in a previous post, maybe they see something in Ellington. And if Memphis makes this move and things miraculously work out for them like they did with the Gasol trade, I'll have to give their FO props.

One other thing. Hollinger now has a voice in their front office. Take a look at how Dudley and Gay compare in FG%, 3P%, TS%, eFG%, and PER. Plus his total salary through 2015-16 is what Gay gets this season alone.

If this trade goes through, it will be the first step in applying Hollinger's math to a real NBA team. It seems like the the new owner is ready to give it a try.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
:lol

For sure, the situations are not strictly analogous.

I just believe that Phoenix possesses a valuable asset (cap space) that can be sold at any time up to the trade deadline. They shouldn't have to give up other valuable assets (draft picks) in order to sell a commodity that figures to be in high demand.
Well, to that point, the Phoenix Suns possessed a valuable asset in Kurt Thomas who was an expiring contract and still an elite post defender entering the 07-08 season. There was clearly a market for him as San Antonio traded a 1st rounder for him yet the Suns traded him as if he was a giant liability. The Suns have a habit of confusing their assets and liabilities :lol

Mel_13
01-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Well, to that point, the Phoenix Suns possessed a valuable asset in Kurt Thomas who was an expiring contract and still an elite post defender entering the 07-08 season. There was clearly a market for him as San Antonio traded a 1st rounder for him yet the Suns traded him as if he was a giant liability. The Suns have a habit of confusing their assets and liabilities :lol

Yep. That combo helped build the Presti legend. Phoenix gave him two first rounders to unload Thomas and the Spurs gave him one more to take Thomas off his hands. Created three first round picks out of some temporary cap space.

timvp
01-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Gay for Dudley would make the Grizzlies tougher for the Spurs. Leonard locks up Gay pretty well and him taking contested shots is almost always better than whatever Gasol and/or Randolph create.

That said, it has to lower Memphis' ceiling and probably hurts them in a majority of other matchups.

Riddler
01-08-2013, 01:46 PM
All a smokescreen for Gay to the Lakers. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

thunderfan
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Gay is always pretty trigger happy against OKC, with limited success. He's medicore beyond 18 feet. Dudley is easily a better long range shooter. I don't necessarily see the trade doing much for Memphis's chances this year either way.

Seventyniner
01-08-2013, 02:07 PM

Exactly. The Suns should be asking for a pick, not giving one up. Memphis is the one motivated to deal.

Pelicans78
01-08-2013, 03:04 PM
This trade would help Memphis in the regular season since Dudley can play off the ball and let the bigs and Conley create, but may hurt them playoff time since they would lack a reliable go to scorer on the perimeter.

Mal
01-08-2013, 03:06 PM
All a smokescreen for Gay to the Lakers. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

For older Gasol ? Arent Memphis planning to go under the cup ?

ffadicted
01-08-2013, 06:21 PM
I mean I'd have no problem moving 2013 picks for Gay in Phoenix's situation, considering how shitty a draft this is going to be.

tbqhimhoiimssm

This is gonna be legendarily bad

Brunodf
01-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Rudy Gay is a cancer. Solid move by the Grizzlies

Clipper Nation
01-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Tbh, as inefficient and unclutch as Rudy Gay is, I'm not seeing how getting rid of their only player who can consistently create his own shot makes the Grizzlies significantly better... that team badly needs shooters, and they'd be getting rid of their only major shooting/scoring threat....

Seventyniner
01-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Tbh, as inefficient and unclutch as Rudy Gay is, I'm not seeing how getting rid of their only player who can consistently create his own shot makes the Grizzlies significantly better... that team badly needs shooters, and they'd be getting rid of their only major shooting/scoring threat....

It's mainly a salary dump. They grossly overpaid Gay and now want out from under the contract.

DPG21920
01-08-2013, 07:58 PM

They aren't getting significantly better - they just likely aren't getting much worse and saving serious money.

mavs>spurs
01-08-2013, 08:02 PM
They aren't getting significantly better - they just likely aren't getting much worse and saving serious money.
i'll bet you would like to get Gay

da_suns_fan
01-08-2013, 08:21 PM

This. Rudy Gay doesnt do anything except miss a lot of shots. Jared Dudley is a very smart player who has a very cheap contract.

I wouldnt trade Dudley for Gay straight up. Screw the draft pick.

Latarian Milton
01-08-2013, 08:21 PM
ain't gonna make much difference to the grizz either way, they're a playoff team with 2nd round as their ceiling.

da_suns_fan
01-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Rudy gay is owed 17 million next year and 19 million the year after that.

Fuck that shit.

Chinook
01-08-2013, 11:32 PM
I can't see how any trade Phoenix makes can not have Beasley's contract going out. I could see the deal being Beasley (or Dudley if the Suns are stupid), Frye's contract and maybe a protected first being the deal.

SpursIndonesia
01-09-2013, 02:31 AM
If the Suns do this, i think it's more related to creating good entertainment & keep the fans on the seat, rather than a serious competitive based decision (especially if they're even willing to part with any future draft pick). IMHO, there are plenty season ticket holders who would rather see Gay's chucking and occasionally high flying dunk than the boring game of Dudley or guys like Scola & Gortat.

Jacob1983
01-09-2013, 02:45 AM
This cracks me up every time.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1101399/saddd.gif

racm
01-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Rudy gay is owed 17 million next year and 19 million the year after that.

Fuck that shit.

He makes more money and is less clutch than Tony.