InRareForm
01-08-2013, 03:38 PM
www.nytimes.com/2013/01/09/science/earth/2012-was-hottest-year-ever-in-us.html

LnGrrrR
01-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Sampling bias!

EVAY
01-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Somewhere, Darrin is preparing a story on a winter storm to display 'proof' that the climate warming propounders are wrong.

CosmicCowboy
01-08-2013, 04:58 PM
It was hotter in Texas in 2011. Our 2012 summer was actually pretty mild.

DarrinS
01-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Somewhere, Darrin is preparing a story on a winter storm to display 'proof' that the climate warming propounders are wrong.

Meh, if they say it was the hottest year in the US (2% of the Earth's surface), then I don't doubt it.

Wild Cobra
01-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Bottom line, 2012 was nothing out of the ordinary for global temperatures. If it were, the AGW crowd would be very vocal.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Now WC is the arbiter of the AGW community's vocalness.

Who here shares WC's worldview?

CosmicCowboy
01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Seriously, I think that throwing Sandy into the mix as a global warming phenom really hurt the credibility of the story. That shit was weather. With the NYTimes they still think they are the center of the universe. Like I said earlier, we had a real mild summer in Texas in 2012 compared to some past years. That's weather.

Jacob1983
01-09-2013, 01:01 AM
On record. This only includes temperatures of years that were recorded. With that being said, can you accurately say that 2012 was the hottest year in America ever? Sure, you can say it's the hottest year on record but that's not the same as the hottest year ever.

boutons_deux
01-09-2013, 05:27 AM
"the hottest year ever."

you deniers are fucking stupid, and TRANSPARENTLY stupid with your igonrance and ignorant, DISHONEST points.

hottest year ever was during a year, or 100K years, when the planet was inhospitable to humans or any large animals. Therefore, goes the denier bullshit, we're OK now. It ain't really that hot.

TSA
01-09-2013, 08:24 PM
It ain't really that hot.

I could use a little global warming to make San Diego even nicer in the winter. Would help warm up the waters in Mexico earlier too, leading to a much longer Tuna season.

DMC
01-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Now WC is the arbiter of the AGW community's vocalness.

Who here shares WC's worldview?

I've noticed that no one ever responds to your group hug requests.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-09-2013, 08:54 PM
I've noticed that no one ever responds to your group hug requests.

And yet another characterization so as to ridicule.

Yeah because asking if anyone shares his view is me asking for a hug. You are mentally incapable of doing anything other than trying to characterize it would seem. You have no interest in a logical discussion.

The whole point is that no one backs him. Kinda like noone sees me saying 'circulation' evokes images of "300m guns out there for the taking.'

DMC
01-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Does anyone else here feel how I feel? Can we get together on this guys? Come on people, back me up here. Isn't this guy a clown? Isn't he? Guys?

Jacob1983
01-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Hottest year ever and hottest year on record are not the same. Thank you.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Does anyone else here feel how I feel? Can we get together on this guys? Come on people, back me up here. Isn't this guy a clown? Isn't he? Guys?

I am not asking if anyone feels like I feel. I am asking if anyone agrees with other people. It's not a difficult distinction but it does not surprise me that you would try to mislead people with this characterization.

You have no honor.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Meh, if they say it was the hottest year in the US (2% of the Earth's surface), then I don't doubt it.

You going back to the denial instead of alarmism denial like you were before? We going retro? Party like its 1999!

Spurminator
01-10-2013, 12:15 AM
I've just been thankful for the dearth of "Global Warming My Ass" threads every time a snowstorm hits.

Wild Cobra
01-10-2013, 03:38 AM
I could use a little global warming to make San Diego even nicer in the winter. Would help warm up the waters in Mexico earlier too, leading to a much longer Tuna season.
I sure wish it was warmer here during the year.

Wild Cobra
01-10-2013, 03:42 AM
Fuzzy?

I'm trying to be nice today, and not shit talk about anyone.

That said.

Yes.

He is a total fucking clown and loser. I have plenty of problems with other here, but I have never come across someone so stupid, maniacal, and an ego that thinks he's all knowing, at the same time.

DMC
01-10-2013, 05:30 AM
^Wow

DMC
01-10-2013, 05:30 AM
I am not asking if anyone feels like I feel. I am asking if anyone agrees with other people. It's not a difficult distinction but it does not surprise me that you would try to mislead people with this characterization.

You have no honor.
Semantics

Wild Cobra
01-10-2013, 05:42 AM
^Wow
I assume by that you think I am the same way? At least I have acknowledged times I was wrong, and I don't go attack everyone saying how wrong they are without cause. I am well versed in enough of the sciences to understand bullshit when I see it, but at the same time, newer stuff sometimes surprises me.

DMC
01-10-2013, 05:58 AM
I assume by that you think I am the same way? At least I have acknowledged times I was wrong, and I don't go attack everyone saying how wrong they are without cause. I am well versed in enough of the sciences to understand bullshit when I see it, but at the same time, newer stuff sometimes surprises me.

No, I said "wow" because you totally missed the concept of my post. It's like you're talking to yourself sometimes. Fuzzy understood my intent. You have to read the thread.

Wild Cobra
01-10-2013, 06:10 AM
I'm sorry, I re-read the thread, and your point eludes me if it wasn't about Fuzzy.

With me, I agree we have some AGW. I am just a solid believer that CO2 is only a minor player in heat retention. I see the largest anthropogenic factors as soot, and land use. Especially "heat islands." If you meant "can we get together on warming," I say it is very unlikely until the AGW crowd stops hyping an agenda, and starts sticking with real science.

DarrinS
01-10-2013, 07:50 AM
You going back to the denial instead of alarmism denial like you were before? We going retro? Party like its 1999!

I admitted it was the hottest recorded year in the US. The US represents 2% of the Earth's surface. What is it I'm denying? Are you saying it was the hottest year globally?

Wild Cobra
01-10-2013, 07:53 AM
I admitted it was the hottest recorded year in the US. The US represents 2% of the Earth's surface. What is it I'm denying? Are you saying it was the hottest year globally?
Accepting the OP at face value, I agree.

I'll say this too.

What's the big fucking deal?

FuzzyLumpkins
01-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Semantics

No, that would be the subject and predicate of the question. If anything that would be grammar not what the words mean but instead word ordering and who the question is asked of and the predicates apply.

Do you do anything other than try and mislead?

SnakeBoy
01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
It was hotter in Texas in 2011. Our 2012 summer was actually pretty mild.

At a 71.7 degree average, 2012 was only a tenth of a degree cooler than 2011 for San Antonio. Not exactly a mild year.

Wild Cobra
01-11-2013, 02:56 AM
I heard today from a coworker that southern California is colder than normal. Anyone know?

CosmicCowboy
01-11-2013, 09:12 AM
At a 71.7 degree average, 2012 was only a tenth of a degree cooler than 2011 for San Antonio. Not exactly a mild year.

You must live in air conditioning 24/7 if you believe that shit.

boutons_deux
01-11-2013, 09:15 AM
I heard today from a coworker that southern California is colder than normal. Anyone know?

Weather instability was predicted 30+ years ago to be result of global warming.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/01/grapevine-closed-by-snow-ice-cold-front-hits-southern-california.html

boutons_deux
01-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Temperature Records

356: Number of all-time temperature highs tied or broken (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/2012/13/supplemental/page-9/) in the United States in 2012
5-to-1: The ratio (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/) of daily record highs to daily record lows in 2012 – the largest ratio of this kind since record-keeping began in 1895
55.3°F: The average temperature (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/2012/13) in the United States in 2012 (3.3°F higher than the 20th Century average)
76.9°F: Average temperature in July 2012, the hottest month ever recorded in the contiguous United States (3.6°F above (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/) the historical average)
19: Number of states (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/) experiencing a record warm year

Impacts

99.1 million: Number of people (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/) experiencing 10 or more days that exceeded 100°F in temperature – more than one-third of America’s total population
65.5 percent: Area of continental United States experiencing drought (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/2012/13/supplemental/page-9/) during its peak in September
11: Number of estimated disasters in 2012 that caused more than $1 billion (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news/preliminary-info-2012-us-billion-dollar-extreme-weatherclimate-events) of losses each.
8.5 million: Total number of homes that lost power (http://www.oe.netl.doe.gov/docs/2012_SitRep20_Sandy_11072012_1000AM.pdf) during Hurricane Sandy
300,000: Number of acres burned during the largest wildfire in New Mexico’s recorded history
350: Number of homes destroyed (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/) by Colorado’s Waldo Canyon wildfire, the state’s most destructive wildfire in history
19: Number of named storms and hurricanes (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/) in 2012 – an above-average amount of tropical cyclone activity

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/01/11/1430641/by-the-numbers-breaking-down-americas-hottest-year-on-record/

boutons_deux
01-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Off-The-Charts Heat Wave Brings Australia Its Hottest Average Temperature And New Map Colors For Temps Above 122°F! (http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/01/08/1413621/off-the-charts-heat-wave-australia-hottest-average-temperature-new-map-colors/)
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/art-weather-620x349.jpeg

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/01/08/1413621/off-the-charts-heat-wave-australia-hottest-average-temperature-new-map-colors/

And in January, too! Imagine what July will be? :lol

Wild Cobra
01-11-2013, 06:30 PM
And in January, too! Imagine what July will be? :lol
Serious?

DMC
01-11-2013, 06:45 PM
1st, stop with the daily weather comments, has nothing to do with global warming. The global temp doesn't need to climb 30 degrees in order to fuck shit up. It's real, stop toeing the party line and use your heads for something other than a nut cracker. It's like front porch talk listening to this "well they say global warming is happening but it's cold as hell today, so I don't believe it" shit. It's still cold in the Arctic, but it's getting warmer on a global scale. If nothing else, just the fact that humans are producing heat and changing lay of the land should be enough for some to give it consideration. Instead it's all party line ignorant ass jesus bullshit. Sure, believe a dead man will come back from the sky and take you all to an invisible land where the streets are made of gold, but this well documents global event cannot be happening because it's not hot today.

DMC
01-11-2013, 06:45 PM
No, that would be the subject and predicate of the question. If anything that would be grammar not what the words mean but instead word ordering and who the question is asked of and the predicates apply.

Do you do anything other than try and mislead?

More semantics

Jacob1983
01-12-2013, 01:24 AM
Why do people always focus on America when it comes to climate change or global warming? Isn't this phenomenon suppose to be a global problem meaning that the whole world is responsible for it?

SnakeBoy
01-12-2013, 02:07 AM
You must live in air conditioning 24/7 if you believe that shit.

That doesn't even make sense.I guess you think the recorded temperatures are wrong because you proclaimed it a mild year.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-12-2013, 09:54 PM
More semantics

What word am I disputing the meaning of?

DMC
01-12-2013, 11:04 PM
What word am I disputing the meaning of?

Semantics

FuzzyLumpkins
01-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Semantics

You repeated the premise. Also you brought up semantics and are playing word games with it. Circular argument. Your schtick is lame.

Jacob1983
01-13-2013, 01:05 AM
What if it's just a natural process and there's really nothing to worry about? I mean what would be so bad with that possibility? Why all the gloom and doom?

FuzzyLumpkins
01-13-2013, 02:11 AM
What if it's just a natural process and there's really nothing to worry about? I mean what would be so bad with that possibility? Why all the gloom and doom?

Pretending like scientists havent analyzed climate cycles in determining change in temperature that is naturally occurring so as to distinguish from man made effects is fun I guess. They even cross reference those conclusions to predictions based on greenhouse models. It holds up.

All your statement does is indicate that you have no conception of climate science.

admiralsnackbar
01-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Why do people always focus on America when it comes to climate change or global warming? Isn't this phenomenon suppose to be a global problem meaning that the whole world is responsible for it?

1. Because the US is the second largest producer of CO2 emissions after China.

2. Because the US has refused to commit to international treaties intended to reduce emissions.

3. Because the US has a government that can ostensibly be changed to suit the needs/desires/interests of its citizens as opposed to an intransigent plutocratic totalitarian regime like China's or developing nations without the infrastructure, financial resources, and/or political will to pass/enforce legislation concerning greenhouse emissions.

4. Because articles posted here are written for American audiences -- perhaps in hopes of appealing to readers' reason and setting political action in motion (see point 2).

Wild Cobra
01-13-2013, 07:25 AM
5) Because there our long term climatic cycles and our CO2 output does very little to perturb them.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-13-2013, 07:34 AM
5) Because there our long term climatic cycles and our CO2 output does very little to perturb them.

What study can you cite that says a particular climate cycle --something like ENSO-- correlates for the climate we currently experience? I can show you the BEST analysis that tested multiple climate cycles and determined that the patterns deviate significantly. You know this too as it's been discussed several times ie about once a season.

admiralsnackbar
01-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Cause aside, and catastrophic weather events aside as well, global warming is something to worry about because it will inevitably lead to the displacement of large populations, as well as the destabilization of national and global economies and essential resource supply chains that cannot adapt to changes quickly enough (ie, all of them).

These consequences suck in and of themselves, but they also create conditions which lead to war, be it civil or international. All to say that if the pattern of warming continues (and no climatological research that hasn't been underwritten by industrial PACs suggests otherwise), you shouldn't kid yourself: there's plenty to worry about.

Wild Cobra
01-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Can you cite an open peer reviewed study that disproves my claim? 2013 is expected to be very hot globally because of the combined known natural cycles.

Can you show me anything that shows Black Carbon over the Arctic Ice as insignificant? Have any idea how much Asia dumps in the air, that ends up over the northern ice?

Can you show me conclusive studies that show Heat islands as insignificant, or not messing with the temperature readings?

Stop pushing your CO2 agenda. Yes, there is anthropogenic warming. However, CO2 is not properly shown to have significance.

Oh... Don't forget... CO2 levels change with temperature...

admiralsnackbar
01-13-2013, 08:05 AM

Says the climatologist with the education, field experience, and technological infrastructure to defend his conclusions. Hubris.

admiralsnackbar
01-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Can you cite an open peer reviewed study that disproves my claim? 2013 is expected to be very hot globally because of the combined known natural cycles.

Can you show me anything that shows Black Carbon over the Arctic Ice as insignificant? Have any idea how much Asia dumps in the air, that ends up over the northern ice?

Can you show me conclusive studies that show Heat islands as insignificant, or not messing with the temperature readings?

Stop pushing your CO2 agenda. Yes, there is anthropogenic warming. However, CO2 is not properly shown to have significance.

Oh... Don't forget... CO2 levels change with temperature...

See: special pleading.

DMC
01-13-2013, 12:26 PM

You do realize that this planet is inhabitable by us because it meets a very strict set of criteria and that those can easily go away and the planet becomes uninhabitable, right? Don't think in terms of .4 degrees warmer at your home. Think of no glaciers, no rainforests, inability to grow many crops, incredibly severe storms that produce natural disasters, draining the economy to keep certain regions inhabitable.