PDA

View Full Version : Elvis

Avante
01-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Happy Birthday:king

I have a recording made at the Sun Studios in Memphis back in the mid 50's, it's Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and Elvis jacking around in the studio, they were known as....The Million Dollar Quartet. Elvis is talking about some colored (his words) kid he'd heard in some club doing his...Don't Be Cruel. Elvis trying to imitate a colored kid covering an Elvis tune...hahaha!!!!!!

LyO9YL2lLoI

Not so long ago I'm at a yard sale, what do I find....The Sun Recordings...yep, the very first recordings by the King. They wanted 3 bucks.

Elvis was cool, he knew about Big Mama Thornton, Lonnie Johnson, Junior Parker, Big Boy Crudup. We find him covering their stuff in his first session. He would have been really cool if he'd thrown a little $$$$$ their way.

I'll confess most of his stuff I'm not too fond of, but I do like...

Heartbreak Hotel
Mystery Train (Junior Parker)
Love Me Tender
Return To Sender
Are You Lonesome Tonight (another cover but can't remember who did the original)
Don't Be Cruel
Don't...my fav Elvis tune.

Elvis would be on the Mount Rushmore of American music, what other rockabilly artist can say that?

You'd mix this with Conway Twitty's...Make Believe, Ricky Nelson's..Lonesome Town and Buddy Holly's...Don't Fade Away.

hbbV6fDLmIk

Then the flood gates opened and here came Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Jody Reynolds, Ersel Hickey, Johnny Powers tons of white boys with a gee-tar trying to be the next Elvis.

One of the more interesting to come after Elvis.

flsuf3ytiE0

Dude looks like Tom Waits.

AussieFanKurt
01-09-2013, 12:00 AM
who

Avante
01-09-2013, 12:08 AM
who

Straight from Aussieland...

HcLwDl89zBM

How many people have a name where you don't need their last name to know who they are?

AussieFanKurt
01-09-2013, 01:23 AM
who

Jacob1983
01-09-2013, 02:42 AM
What would it be like if he was still alive? Where does he rank all time on the most popular dead celebrities of all time? Top 5?

Avante
01-09-2013, 04:12 AM
who

Sam Phillips who owned Sun Records in Memphis was on the look out for a white guy who could bring that black feel to records. Enter Elvis Presley. Elvis changed everything, a white guy covering tunes by black artists, to an audience who had no idea that's what he was doing since they didn't listen to that...jiggaboo...music.

Reck
01-09-2013, 04:15 AM
Now I get why trill aint mad at you Avante.

You like the black cock and he keeps you well fed right? :lol

Avante
01-09-2013, 04:22 AM
What would it be like if he was still alive? Where does he rank all time on the most popular dead celebrities of all time? Top 5?

I think it would be very sad if Elvis were still alive. He was looking bad in his last days, was forgetting lyrics to songs, the confidence wasn't there. I think he'd be a fat guy looking pretty bad.

If we started knocking on doors in Maine how far would we get asking the question...who was Elvis...before we found somebody who had never heard of him? I'm betting the only one who was better known would have been Hitler. The most famous first name vs the most famous last name.

Most famous/infamous

Hitler
Elvis
Castro
John Wayne
Muhammad Ali

Of course nobody compares to...Jesus Christ.

Avante
01-09-2013, 04:43 AM

I was just a little bittie kid when I picked up on the soul/rhythm of the blacks. I lived across the street from a black church. You could hear them singing those gospel songs blocks away, you could feel it. Then as a youngster I discovered the works of Langston Hughes, Richard Wright, James Baldwin, Ralph Ellison. Also around that time I started running track and playing football. I noticed real quick how those little black guys were faster/quicker than I was and I was fast and quick....for a white guy.

My favorite music was done by black artists, it was just better. The Platters, The Coasters, The Drifters, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, how do ya beat that?

Today I have a couple dozens books about black life in America, my fav....When Harlem Was In Vogue. Tons and tons of music by black artists starting with Mamie Smith in 1920. Can rattle off every black sprinter/footballer/bluesman of note ever. Can name all those HBCU schools.

Then there's those cool ass names..

Handsome Wearing
Hiawatha Francisco
Eulace Peacock...beat Jesse Owens like a drum in the 100
Mozelle Ellerbe
Ebanizar Edmonds
I-Perfection Harris
Dominique Dorsey
Tyrone Whatley
Ocie Early
Fair Hooker
Ivory Crockett
Asafa Powell
Houston McTear
MacKinley Dillingham
John Henry Johnson
DeMario Wesley
Cyril Pinder
Israel Lang
Elijah Jefferson
X.L. Emerson
Daswell Campbell
Usian Bolt
Emerson Boozer
Gloster Richardson
Haven Moses
Harrison Dilliard
Heulon Hewritt

......how cool is that?

Nicknames

Kid Chocolate
Tiger Flowers
Kid Gavilan
Boweavil Jackson
Jimmy "Peach Head" Gordon
Choo Choo Winters
Squirmin' Sherman Lewis
Rufus "The Roadrunner" Ferguson
Thunder Thornton
Bullet Bob Hayes
Rocket Ismail
Gizmo Williams
Hollywod Henderson
Rabbit Brown
Sunnyland Slim
Satchmo
Mercury Morris
Dynamite Dokes
Marvelous Marvin Hagler
Fred "The Hammer" Williamson
Tank Younger
Memphis Slim
Deacon Jones
Louisiana Red
Sugar Ray Robinson
Joe "The Brown Bomber" Louis
Mississippi Moaner
Gorilla Jones
Scooter Reed
Nolan "Super Gnat" Smith
Muddy Waters
Bumble Bee Slim
Cannonball Butler
Elbert "Golden Wheels" Dubenion
Spider Gaines
Lightnin' Hopkins
Hambone Willie Newbern
Lead Belly
Homesick James

Us white cats just don't have it, we can't run worth a fuck, have names like Mike, Tom, Pete, don't have that rhythm, and can't dance worth a damn. Way too uptight and don't have that...cool. We look stupid in a pimp hat with a feather. Stick a gold tooth in a black cats mouth it looks cool, stick a gold tooth in a white cats mouth he looks like a fucking okie.

A black thang.....

WLHWOPqg-iU

The great Lonnie Johnson on guitar, one of those Elvis covered in his first session.

ujSCHFvWUWg

yUYW2iwimBw

Creepn
01-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Can you do the crip walk Avante?

CuckingFunt
01-09-2013, 12:22 PM

I was just a little bittie kid when I picked up on the soul/rhythm of the blacks. I lived across the street from a black church. You could hear them singing those gospel songs blocks away, you could feel it. Then as a youngster I discovered the works of Langston Hughes, Richard Wright, James Baldwin, Ralph Ellison. Also around that time I started running track and playing football. I noticed real quick how those little black guys were faster/quicker than I was and I was fast and quick....for a white guy.

My favorite music was done by black artists, it was just better. The Platters, The Coasters, The Drifters, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, how do ya beat that?

Today I have a couple dozens books about black life in America, my fav....When Harlem Was In Vogue. Tons and tons of music by black artists starting with Mamie Smith in 1920. Can rattle off every black sprinter/footballer/bluesman of note ever. Can name all those HBCU schools.

Then there's those cool ass names..

Handsome Wearing
Hiawatha Francisco
Eulace Peacock...beat Jesse Owens like a drum in the 100
Mozelle Ellerbe
Ebanizar Edmonds
I-Perfection Harris
Dominique Dorsey
Tyrone Whatley
Ocie Early
Fair Hooker
Ivory Crockett
Asafa Powell
Houston McTear
MacKinley Dillingham
John Henry Johnson
DeMario Wesley
Cyril Pinder
Israel Lang
Elijah Jefferson
X.L. Emerson
Daswell Campbell
Usian Bolt
Emerson Boozer
Gloster Richardson
Haven Moses
Harrison Dilliard
Heulon Hewritt

......how cool is that?

Nicknames

Kid Chocolate
Tiger Flowers
Kid Gavilan
Boweavil Jackson
Jimmy "Peach Head" Gordon
Choo Choo Winters
Squirmin' Sherman Lewis
Rufus "The Roadrunner" Ferguson
Thunder Thornton
Bullet Bob Hayes
Rocket Ismail
Gizmo Williams
Hollywod Henderson
Rabbit Brown
Sunnyland Slim
Satchmo
Mercury Morris
Dynamite Dokes
Marvelous Marvin Hagler
Fred "The Hammer" Williamson
Tank Younger
Memphis Slim
Deacon Jones
Louisiana Red
Sugar Ray Robinson
Joe "The Brown Bomber" Louis
Mississippi Moaner
Gorilla Jones
Scooter Reed
Nolan "Super Gnat" Smith
Muddy Waters
Bumble Bee Slim
Cannonball Butler
Elbert "Golden Wheels" Dubenion
Spider Gaines
Lightnin' Hopkins
Hambone Willie Newbern
Lead Belly
Homesick James

Us white cats just don't have it, we can't run worth a fuck, have names like Mike, Tom, Pete, don't have that rhythm, and can't dance worth a damn. Way too uptight and don't have that...cool. We look stupid in a pimp hat with a feather. Stick a gold tooth in a black cats mouth it looks cool, stick a gold tooth in a white cats mouth he looks like a fucking okie.

A black thang.....

WLHWOPqg-iU

The great Lonnie Johnson on guitar, one of those Elvis covered in his first session.

ujSCHFvWUWg

yUYW2iwimBw

You could've just said yes.

Avante
01-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Can you do the crip walk Avante?

Hell yes, far cooler that this okie walk I got stuck with.

But this is my true passon.

XgDrJ5Z2rKw

Avante
01-09-2013, 10:30 PM
You could've just said yes.

When dealing with the idiots here I use them as my launching pad.