PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies: Trading Randolph?

Jordanobili2320
01-09-2013, 08:05 AM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225494/Grizzlies_Exploring_Randolph_Trade

The Memphis Grizzlies have held preliminary trade talks involving Zach Randolph.
The Sacramento Kings are one team that have engaged the Grizzlies on Randolph, according to a source.
The Grizzlies have also been discussing a trade centered on Rudy Gay.
No deal involving Gay is imminent, according to a source.

The reason why the Grizz are so good is because of their frontcourt dominance with Randolph and Gasol. Why would you ever let Randolph go? This changes the identity of your team mid-season and I cannot see getting equal value back.

Jordanobili2320
01-09-2013, 08:07 AM
saw this posted in the spurs forum. didn't realize. close this if you want.

midnightpulp
01-09-2013, 10:05 AM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225494/Grizzlies_Exploring_Randolph_Trade

The Memphis Grizzlies have held preliminary trade talks involving Zach Randolph.
The Sacramento Kings are one team that have engaged the Grizzlies on Randolph, according to a source.
The Grizzlies have also been discussing a trade centered on Rudy Gay.
No deal involving Gay is imminent, according to a source.

The reason why the Grizz are so good is because of their frontcourt dominance with Randolph and Gasol. Why would you ever let Randolph go? This changes the identity of your team mid-season and I cannot see getting equal value back.

Because the Grizzlies are a terrible franchise more committed to saving a buck than winning anything. They're one of those franchises content to be a middle of the road playoff team as long as they can stay under the cap. Franchises like the Grizzlies love draft picks for the purpose of hording young talent that eventually develops just enough to make the them into a good team. Fans become optimistic about their "promising" young team. Ticket and merchandise sales rise. But then when the contract year for those players, who are now valuable assets, comes up, they'll simply trade them for more draft picks, repeating the cycle.

Seventyniner
01-09-2013, 10:45 AM
The Grizz are about $5M above the tax line iirc and are trying desparately to get under it. Their main trading partners will be teams with cap space, which I think are Houston, Phoenix, and maybe Sacramento and Cleveland.

It looks to me like Hollinger is pulling a Cuban and prizing cap space over everything else.

Latarian Milton
01-10-2013, 01:56 AM
i might be wrong but they can also reach a deal with teams who have big trade exceptions if they're just seeking a salary dump, or they can also acquire some expiring shits and buy them out imho

crc21209
01-10-2013, 04:51 AM
The bottom line is, the Grizzlies don't want to pay the luxury tax. But then again, they put themselves in this position by handing out the contracts that they did....

Ghazi
01-10-2013, 05:48 AM
Grizzlies are a darkhorse championship contender this year IMO... even though the Heat/Spurs/Thunder/Clippers are better teams I honestly feel like the Grizzzlies do not matchup badly with any team. And they're the best defensive team of all of them.

They already made the Heat pay for their smallball earlier this year... and Gasol/Randolph is simply the best frontline in the league right now... Spurs/Thunder frontcourts would be tested and the Clippers bigs aren't great defensively either.

a long shot still, but I digress.

FkLA
01-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Because the Grizzlies are a terrible franchise more committed to saving a buck than winning anything. They're one of those franchises content to be a middle of the road playoff team as long as they can stay under the cap. Franchises like the Grizzlies love draft picks for the purpose of hording young talent that eventually develops just enough to make the them into a good team. Fans become optimistic about their "promising" young team. Ticket and merchandise sales rise. But then when the contract year for those players, who are now valuable assets, comes up, they'll simply trade them for more draft picks, repeating the cycle.

Gay and Randolph arent in contract years though. Gay got a max contract in 2010. Randolph got his huge extension after 8 in the 2011 playoffs. They also spent like $100 mill on Conley and Gasol the past two years. They did this willingly and with the intentions of building a solid core, so I dont think theyre the typical small time team trying not to spend money. Shit just doesnt add up imo especially considering how well theyre playing...it has to be another reason. Maybe a rift between Gay and Randolph over control of the team.

Chinook
01-10-2013, 08:06 AM
^ Different ownership group now. The previous one really wanted to win and kept re-signing everybody like it was 2K or something. That's why they have players like Speights and Arthur that they're trying to move now. I don't think this group is willing to pay that much without having a true superstar to solidify their chances. Right now, it'd be hard to see them beating three great teams in succession to win the title.

I'd try to trade everyone except Gasol and rebuild efficiently over the next few years. I think that's a big reason why they brought in Hollinger.