PDA

View Full Version : Kings: Woj: Kings to be sold to Seattle; seek to relocate in 2013-14

Mel_13
01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
The Maloofs are finalizing an agreement to sell the Sacramento Kings to the Hansen-Ballmer led Seattle group, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

The deal will sell the Kings for approximately $500 million, with the Seattle group seeking relocation to Key Arena for the 2013-'14 season.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Clipper Nation
01-09-2013, 01:49 PM
It's kind of sad that there will be no such thing as the Sacramento Kings anymore, but at least Seattle is finally getting a team back, tbh...

NRHector
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
if is true, what would be their new name?

Mel_13
01-09-2013, 01:51 PM
if is true, what would be their new name?

Seattle kept the Supersonics name when the team left for OKC.

lebomb
01-09-2013, 01:52 PM
It's kind of sad that there will be no such thing as the Sacramento Kings anymore, but at least Seattle is finally getting a team back, tbh...

LMAO!!!!!! was tbh necessary after all that truth you spit out???? :rollin

NRHector
01-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Seattle kept the Supersonics name when the team left for OKC.

that will be great but I doubt they will still use the same name

loveforthegame
01-09-2013, 01:59 PM
The city of Sacramento is dumb for letting this team walk. They'll regret this move.

Congrats to Seattle for getting a team back there though.

Mugen
01-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Much better option than Anaheim. Would have been retarded if SoCal got another team.

lefty
01-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Kings should stay in Sacto

THunder should leave Methlahoma for Seattle

But hey, I hope the Sonics will destroy the Thunder in a few years

Clipper Nation
01-09-2013, 02:05 PM
The city of Sacramento is dumb for letting this team walk. They'll regret this move.

It's not the city's fault, they worked their asses off to try to keep the Kings in town.... the Maloofs are just really THIS childish, vindictive, and despicable, tbh...

Kai
01-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Sonics literally are zombies now

TE
01-09-2013, 02:11 PM
If this thing goes through, it looks like there will be basketball in Seattle starting next season (2013-14 season), per woj.

lefty
01-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Sonics literally are zombies now

Or meth heads

Which basically the same thing

Mugen
01-09-2013, 02:23 PM
It's not the city's fault, they worked their asses off to try to keep the Kings in town.... the Maloofs are just really THIS childish, vindictive, and despicable, tbh...

+1. Fuck the Maloofs.

mindcrime
01-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Sactown on suicide watch tbh. :cry The Kings are all they have.

Oh yeah, and +1 on the Magoofs being douches.

irishock
01-09-2013, 02:37 PM
WE'RE BACK

tlongII
01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Great news! I hope they change the name back to the Sonics. My favorite rival!

Cry Havoc
01-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Via Reddit:

Thing is, is that Kings are all Sacramento has. We don't have the Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders to fall back. This will be like Hartford and the Whalers, where by taking our sole professional sports team we just fade into obscurity. It was luck that combined a risky, daring business venture and an unpopular Kansas City franchise to get us where we are now. It was one and a million odds of getting a professional sports team to a city like us. We won't ever see that again.

The future was supposed to be so exciting. The new downtown arena was suppose to revitalize our whole downtown and turn it into a thriving business and entertainment district, but yet it still sits in a gloomy recession-bullied slump. The team was supposed to be revitalized in the new arena, turn the whole franchise around and raise our spirits again in Sactown. We've suffered enough humility through losing for 8 years.

There's not much to be proud of from being a Sacramentan, as our the city's best trait is not something about the city itself, but that it's a short drive to better locations (2 hours from the ocean and mountains). Most people live here because they can't afford to live in the Bay. However, the Kings give us so much hope and a sense of community and pride, especially during 1999-2004. In those days people were proud to say they were from Sacramento and didn't care this was a cowtown. Remember a packed Arco Arena ringing with cowbells throughout the playoffs and the fierce Sacramento-Los Angeles Rivalry? The loss of the Kings is more than a disappointment to Sacramento basketball fans, this is a fatal blow to the city of Sacramento and its people. Just an empty place will remain.

Sucks if you're in Sactown. They should have had a title and it would have likely revitalized that franchise. David Stern, doing his best to turn a profit no matter the repercussions.

Cry Havoc
01-09-2013, 03:00 PM
WE'RE BACK

Can we keep the Sonics and contract you?

irishock
01-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Can we keep the Sonics and contract you?

100/10 will recommend to family and friends

rayjayjohnson
01-09-2013, 03:06 PM
great. the butthurt just shifts from seatlle fans to kings fans

thunderfan
01-09-2013, 03:06 PM
I had hopes of Seattle getting a team back, but also hate to see Sacramento lose the Kings. I think they should go back to the same ole Sonics name.

irishock
01-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Demarcus will be happy about this move

BRHornet45
01-09-2013, 03:19 PM
the Maloof's lost millions every year with the Kings because of the fickle Sacramento fan base. the myth of Sacramento being a "wonderful fan base" has always been annoying. they have the smallest arena in the NBA and only packed it during the playoff years. In recent years their support for the team has been a joke. attendance rank out of all 30 teams ...

12-13: 30th
11-12: 27th
10-11: 29th
09-10: 29th
08-09: 30th
07-08: 27th

Huey Freeman
01-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Serious question, if the Kings do change their names and colors back to the Sonics, what happens to the Kings' records? Will this be a similar situation to Cleveland Browns excluding the expansion team aspect?

baseline bum
01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Man, that's sad. I hate the NBA losing the Kings, but Sacramento is so skull-fucked by the housing crash I'm not sure they can really support the team anymore.

Riddler
01-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah im guessing Demarcus gets traded for sure now.

TimmehC
01-09-2013, 03:42 PM
New Orleans should change their team name to the Kings, tbh. Better than Pelicans.

fevertrees
01-09-2013, 03:42 PM
It's a shame the NBA doesn't buy the team to keep them in Sacramento just like they did with the welfare Pelicans(who still can't get a packed house unless the New Orleans Lakers fans show u0). :lol:

Seventyniner
01-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Serious question, if the Kings do change their names and colors back to the Sonics, what happens to the Kings' records? Will this be a similar situation to Cleveland Browns excluding the expansion team aspect?

Probably the same thing that happened to the Sonics name/logo/record. They'll go dormant until Sacramento gets another team. I wouldn't discount that possibility; they already have the arena. Look for the NBA to expand to 32, as much as we might hate it.

monosylab1k
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Don't like it, two wrongs don't make a right. At least they're being honest about their intentions, not like that faggot Bennett.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-09-2013, 04:17 PM
the Maloof's lost millions every year with the Kings because of the fickle Sacramento fan base. the myth of Sacramento being a "wonderful fan base" has always been annoying. they have the smallest arena in the NBA and only packed it during the playoff years. In recent years their support for the team has been a joke. attendance rank out of all 30 teams ...

12-13: 30th
11-12: 27th
10-11: 29th
09-10: 29th
08-09: 30th
07-08: 27th

Sons cities that are barely big enough to support a pro sports team always get fanbase glorification in the media. The Jazz and Pacers are also great examples of this.

timvp
01-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Eh, Sonics fans are douches for the most part. The Kings had a couple good fans. It's crazy that Horry's shot basically ended up killing basketball in that town.

whitemamba
01-09-2013, 04:35 PM
seattle loves its basketball. glad to see they got a team back, as for the queens, they have been doomed ever since they lost that game 7 to the lakers

thunderfan
01-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Don't like it, two wrongs don't make a right. At least they're being honest about their intentions, not like that faggot Bennett.

Dude. Bennett probably had every intention of moving the team to OKC from the get go. But Schultz willingly sold the damn team to an OKC businessman. It doesn't take a genius to figure out if you sell a team to a native Oklahoma billionaire, to a guy from a city that has been actively seeking a pro sports team, that the team is moving there. This "stealing" claim is BS. You can't "steal" something you already own. Bennett owned the team in 2006. So who do you wanna blame? The Oklahoman who OWNED the team and moved it to his own state, or the previous ownership group who willingly sold the team to someone who clearly would have great interest in moving the team to OK? I get that Seattle fans were pissed. I would be too, but such is life when: 1) attendance is subpar 2) noone can get funding for a new arena and 3) you willingly sell the team to someone who clearly wants to move it to another city.

Cry Havoc
01-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Eh, Sonics fans are douches for the most part. The Kings had a couple good fans. It's crazy that Horry's shot* basically ended up killing basketball in that town.

Fixed that for ya.

thunderfan
01-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Hell, McClendon came right out and told the media at one point that the team was purchased with every intention of moving it to OKC - for which he was fined $250K by the NBA. Bennett might be a slime ball, I don't know the guy. But - it takes TWO to tango. You don't want your team moving to OKC? Don't sell it to an OKC ownership group. Yeah, sure, we'll try to keep the team here in Seattle. That's like the contigency that these people on unemployment have to actively seek a job. Now how actively do you think most of these people are really seeking a job? Bennett didn't steal the team. Someone sold it to him.

timvp
01-09-2013, 05:20 PM
:lol @ Thunder Fan trying to equate these two sales. Bennett was supposed to try to keep the team in Seattle. That was part of the agreement when Starbucks sold him the team. Obviously, he never had any intentions of keeping the Sonics in Seattle and basically lied his way to OKC. Crafty moves by Bennett but let's not try to make him a saint here. He knew what he was doing from Day 1.

This Maloofs deal is totally different. It's a straight up and honest.

Mel_13
01-09-2013, 05:21 PM
thunderfan:

Seriously, now. You don't have to launch into a full-throated defense of everything associated with the Thunder franchise every time someone says anything the least bit negative about it. It feeds the perception that you are easily trolled and horribly butthurt.

All mono said is that the Seattle group is being open and honest from day one about their plans for the Kings as opposed to the games played by Bennett. Hardly an attack on the integrity of all things Oklahoman. Relax.

Budkin
01-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Great for Seattle, sucks for Sac-town. Nothing good about losing your team.

thunderfan
01-09-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm not comparing the two deals. I'm also not making Bennett out to be a saint. I conceded that he could be a slime ball. I'm simply saying that part of the relocation to OKC falls on the group that sold the team to Bennett. OKC native and you sell him the team. You really think he's going to try real hard to make an effort to keep the team in Seattle? No. Either way, it's good to see basketball returning to Seattle.

TimmehC
01-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Apparently, meth leads to some serious butthurt.

thunderfan
01-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Lol. Maybe it does. I don't know. I've never even SEEN meth, much less used it.

noob cake
01-09-2013, 06:13 PM
I hope that Supersonics destroy Methalahoma Thunders.

CuckingFunt
01-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Eh, Sonics fans are douches for the most part. The Kings had a couple good fans. It's crazy that Horry's shot basically ended up killing basketball in that town.

No. Horry's shot hurt (a lot), but it was Webber's knee imploding during the Dallas series that really did the team in. There were a few flashes of hope after that moment, but the team hasn't been the same since. Close as the Kings ever came to a title, with feelings of certainty (misguided or not) that it'd have been ours if not for Webber's injury, which got all of the front office fixated on the fact the team had a window and that it was closing rapidly. From that moment on, every single move the team has made (trading Webber, ditching Adelman, etc.) has been motivated almost completely by desperation. A drive to continually just barely slide into the playoffs stalled what should have been a proper rebuild for long enough to let the team turn into a joke.

Venti Quattro
01-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Good. Sacramento is a shithole. At least Seattle is better.

SpursIndonesia
01-09-2013, 09:07 PM

Yep, TD had fallen down grabbing the ankle, and they all cheered and jeered him. Won't ever forget that shit.

baseline bum
01-09-2013, 09:28 PM

Truth. I was hoping Methlahoma would destroy Miami in the Finals just to rub Seattle's face in it.

davi78239
01-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Do you think if the spurs don't win the title in 99 that the spurs move out of sa?? Heard that it could of been reality.

baseline bum
01-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Do you think if the spurs don't win the title in 99 that the spurs move out of sa?? Heard that it could of been reality.

100% they would have left to New Orleans. The 98 arena vote when down in flames and the 99 vote was likely the city's last chance, so it really pissed me off the way the city tried to tack all kinds of extra crap onto their proposal, forcing the team to go with the county proposal and play in the middle of the fucking ghetto. :lol

Downtown SA lost a lot of fucking money thanks to the incompetent city government. About the only thing you can do in the area now after a game is go pick up a hooker or a 20 rock, whereas downtown it would have been great for restaurants and bars.

Findog
01-10-2013, 06:03 PM
These would be sweet:

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m342/gibuckeye_2008/SeattleSupersonics_zps679888a8.jpg

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m342/gibuckeye_2008/SeattleSupersonicsAlternates_zpse5d22f45.jpg

baseline bum
01-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Nah, they should go back to their best uniforms: the ones they wore in their glory days of the late 70s through the Xavier McDaniel era and onto Paytons first couple of years:

http://corkytrewin.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/27-2012-feb-sonics-hornechek-overhead-1989.jpg?w=640&h=697

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-10-2013, 07:00 PM

Meth's cheap enough that doesn't have to happen. Now for what it costs to keep a coke habit going? Different story.

phoenix219
01-10-2013, 07:19 PM

Idgaf about Sacramento or KC - i'm from Rochester and I would love for my city to somehow get its hands on the Royals NBA Championship banners and trophy's. People forget... WE lost OUR team FIRST!!! :P

phoenix219
01-10-2013, 07:32 PM
No. Horry's shot hurt (a lot), but it was Webber's knee imploding during the Dallas series that really did the team in. There were a few flashes of hope after that moment, but the team hasn't been the same since. Close as the Kings ever came to a title, with feelings of certainty (misguided or not) that it'd have been ours if not for Webber's injury, which got all of the front office fixated on the fact the team had a window and that it was closing rapidly. From that moment on, every single move the team has made (trading Webber, ditching Adelman, etc.) has been motivated almost completely by desperation. A drive to continually just barely slide into the playoffs stalled what should have been a proper rebuild for long enough to let the team turn into a joke.

Sadly, the same could be said for Phoenix - the window started shrinking, desparation moves began, putting off the rebuild, trying to slide in, and now look at us. Heh. I think you could even go word for word... "Horry's shot hurt (a lot) ...

grr.

lefty
01-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Nah, they should go back to their best uniforms: the ones they wore in their glory days of the late 70s through the Xavier McDaniel era and onto Paytons first couple of years:

http://corkytrewin.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/27-2012-feb-sonics-hornechek-overhead-1989.jpg?w=640&h=697

I agree :tu

And :lmao at Avery Johnson in that pic

He looks like he is coaching the Nets

FkLA
01-10-2013, 09:09 PM
100% they would have left to New Orleans. The 98 arena vote when down in flames and the 99 vote was likely the city's last chance, so it really pissed me off the way the city tried to tack all kinds of extra crap onto their proposal, forcing the team to go with the county proposal and play in the middle of the fucking ghetto. :lol

Downtown SA lost a lot of fucking money thanks to the incompetent city government. About the only thing you can do in the area now after a game is go pick up a hooker or a 20 rock, whereas downtown it would have been great for restaurants and bars.

One of the stupidest decisions made by this city tbh. Was probably spearheaded by the then District 2 city council member imo, I took a political science class that was taught by Sheila McNeil (also a former councilwoman from that same district)...and she would always go on tangents on how hard they fought to get the AT&T Center and how great it was for the east side. One day I asked her if the city wouldnt have benefited more if it had been downtown, her response was a simple no without an explanation. Typical black bitch more worried about the black movement and looking out for her own rather than looking out for the citys best interests tbh.

tlongII
01-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Sonics fans might be douches, but they are passionate. The Seattle Center Coliseum could get LOUD!

TheSanityAnnex
01-10-2013, 11:54 PM

Congratulations on your first ever NBA take. Always found it strange you post on multiple sports message boards and never talk sports.

CuckingFunt
01-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Congratulations on your first ever NBA take. Always found it strange you post on multiple sports message boards and never talk sports.

Despite how many times you've said it, that's never been true.

loveforthegame
01-11-2013, 01:19 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225541/Report_Kings_To_Be_Sold_For_$525M_Maloofs_Complete ly_Out

Matt Steinmetz is reporting the Maloofs are completely out and will be sold for $525 million.

Cry Havoc
01-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Heard on Sacramento radio last night that a deal was "not close", so the $525 mil deal sounds a little fishy.

tlongII
01-11-2013, 01:45 PM
An extra $25M just to kick them out! :lol

tlongII
01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
The only thing I want to know is "will they use the name SuperSonics?"

I'm vey happy for my friends in Seattle.

whitemamba
01-11-2013, 02:03 PM

most likely

Findog
01-11-2013, 02:43 PM

Yes, all indications are they will resurrect the Sonics name, colors and history.

Juggity
01-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Sonics fans will never again be allowed to complain about the Thunder management stealing their team. They've got the blood of their own stolen franchise on their hands.

Maybe the Kings will return to Sacramento some day if the NBA expands.

thunderup
01-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Sonics fans will never again be allowed to complain about the Thunder management stealing their team. They've got the blood of their own stolen franchise on their hands.
The irony of that is just :lol.

I can't imagine the NBA not being in Sacramento. Just a decade ago, the city fielded some of the most exciting basketball with C-Webb, Divacs, Bibby, to name a few.

Congrats to the lone supersonic fan on this forum and all around if you see this post. I will be looking forward to the NBA's inevitable move to make it a rivalry between Seattle and OKC. :toast

FkLA
01-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Opening Night 2013: OKC @ Seattle

thunderup
01-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Some serious cockblocking going on here.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225547/Mastrov_Makes_Offer_For_Kings_To_Keep_Franchise_In _Sacramento

Also lurking the more active Kings forum for latest up to date news, this thread in particular:
http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?50750-Local-buyer-reportedly-enters-the-picture!

GuerillaBlack
01-11-2013, 07:34 PM

Maybe the Kings will return to Sacramento some day if the NBA expands.

The NBA needs to stop forcing this Hornets in New Orleans thing and send them to Sacramento or something. New Orleans isn't going to support that team.

irishock
01-11-2013, 08:17 PM
The irony of that is just :lol.

I can't imagine the NBA not being in Sacramento. Just a decade ago, the city fielded some of the most exciting basketball with C-Webb, Divacs, Bibby, to name a few.

Congrats to the lone supersonic fan on this forum and all around if you see this post. I will be looking forward to the NBA's inevitable move to make it a rivalry between Seattle and OKC. :toast

:toast

Chinook
01-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Sacramento is making another attempt to keep the Kings: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8846577/mayor-kevin-johnson-present-counteroffer-sacramento-kings

"We were there two years ago and we prevailed," Johnson said. "We have a very compelling case."

They're trying to put together a $400 Million package of investors. Maybe they should just pull a Green Bay.

baseline bum
01-15-2013, 07:25 PM
I hope Sacramento can keep them. Seattle had their chances and repeatedly refused to build the Sonics a new arena, so I have no sympathy for them.