PDA

View Full Version : Heat's Damon Jones elects for free agency

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Heat's Damon Jones elects for free agency
MIAMI (AP) — Damon Jones decided not to exercise the option year of his contract with the Miami Heat on Thursday and was to become a free agent, according to a league source speaking on condition of anonymity.

Jones, the Heat's starting point guard this past season, had until midnight Thursday to invoke a $2.75 million option for 2005-06. He can negotiate with teams starting Friday, but cannot sign with the Heat or any other club until July 22.

He's one of several Miami players whose status for next season is still undecided. The Heat is expected to begin negotiating with Shaquille O'Neal on a longer-term deal Friday; O'Neal is owed $30.6 million for the final year of his existing contract with Miami.

Keyon Dooling, who played a key role as a reserve guard for the Heat, is also expected to become a free agent on Friday although he, too, hasn't ruled out a return to Miami.

Plus, the team has already extended a qualifying offer to starting power forward Udonis Haslem, a move that gives the Heat right of first refusal to match any offer he gets from another club.

"We want Udonis Haslem back on this team, and I think we will do whatever we can do to try to get it done," Heat president Pat Riley said Wednesday, shortly after the team introduced first-round draft pick Wayne Simien of Kansas.

The Heat would like to keep most of its core from the team that won 59 games this past regular season intact, and is likely to try to work something out with both Jones and Dooling. Miami is also waiting to hear what Alonzo Mourning's plans are for next season; he is contemplating retirement, but the Heat has already picked up a team option on him for 2005-06.

Jones, the only Miami player to appear in all 97 games, including playoffs, this past year, averaged 11.6 points and connected on 225 of his 521 attempts from 3-point range during the regular season. He averaged 12.1 points during the playoffs, despite being bothered by a bruised right heel throughout the postseason.

Jones had a 3.57-1 assist-to-turnover ratio during the regular season, the fourth-best mark in the league behind Brevin Knight, Antonio Daniels and Jason Hart. He ranked second in that stat category during the 2003-04 season as a member of the Milwaukee Bucks, with a 4.64-1 ratio behind only Daniels' 4.89-1.

AI-square
06-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Do you think Shaq has anything to do with it? I think he's a player that most teams could look at.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Shit Damon, come on down.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 10:14 PM
They're going to lose Damon by keeping Haslem. Any east coast GM with enough balls needs to sign the U-Dominator to a full MLE deal so the Heat have to match and any pretense of their going after anyone else or keeping Jones is lost

ShoogarBear
06-30-2005, 10:37 PM
I liked what Jones did in the regular season, but not what I saw in the playoffs.

Yeah, he was hurt, but he had a few gigantic brainfarts/chokes.

Plus he's supposed to be a big-time clubhouse lawyer.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Oh, what am I saying -- Haslem is a second year guy.

No need to use the MLE. Nevermind.

2pac
07-01-2005, 12:05 AM
The biggest suprise from that article.

Miami is also waiting to hear what Alonzo Mourning's plans are for next season; he is contemplating retirement

Wallace ²
07-01-2005, 06:55 AM
I had heard that Damon Jones and Keyon Dooling will both opt out of their contracts and sign long term deals with the Heat. So if that is true, dont expect those 2 guys to go anywhere else.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 08:41 AM
I had heard that Damon Jones and Keyon Dooling will both opt out of their contracts and sign long term deals with the Heat. So if that is true, dont expect those 2 guys to go anywhere else.True, but the significant thing is the Heat can't use their exceptions on other players.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Plus he's supposed to be a big-time clubhouse lawyer.

He has a law degree?

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 12:05 PM
He has a law degree?
It's an idiom. Means someone who is always shooting his mouth off trying to stir up trouble.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 12:36 PM
It's an idiom. Means someone who is always shooting his mouth off trying to stir up trouble.

:oops

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 01:48 PM
That's right, you want to be a lawyer, don't you? :lol

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 03:16 PM
That's right, you want to be a lawyer, don't you? :lol

:lol Shut Up, Shoogar.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Nice retort. That will really impress a jury. :lol

1Parker1
07-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Nice retort. That will really impress a jury. :lol

You're right, how about this one? :flipoff

....works every time

Sense
07-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Damon Jones is overrated..

Another Q.

jochhejaam
07-06-2005, 06:16 AM
Shit Damon, come on down.

Pistons would take him too but probably not for the money he thinks he's worth. He's a good 3 pointer if left unguarded and at best an average defender. Overall a good player off the bench.

Spursdaone
07-06-2005, 12:52 PM
D. Jones is not overrated. He hits alot of shots that when people are right in his face. He is the perfect compliment shooter to Shaq and Wade. He is better than Fisher.