PDA

View Full Version : Support the troops, dammit!

Warlord23
01-10-2013, 03:29 PM
A moment of silence for Lt. Col. James Gentry of the Indiana National Guard, who died in 2009. Well, at least he died for a noble cause - so that KBR (Halliburton subsidiary) could use poisonous material in Iraq to make a buck, and then point to the taxpayer to pay damages to the soldiers killed or disabled by the poison.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/09/kbr-guilty-iraq-negligence_n_2436115.html

A brief summary for those who didn't follow the story earlier and/or won't read the article:

1. KBR/Halliburton gets an exclusive military contract in Iraq
2. Proceeds to use Sodium Dichromate, a dangerous carcinogen, to prolong the life of pipelines so they could pump more oil out of Iraq
3. Military personnel are assigned to guard the facility where this toxic chemical is stored
4. The wind blows it into their faces, but they are told that it's a "type of sand"
5. Some of the soldiers go on to die while others suffer debilitating side-effects
6. KBR gets sued by the soldiers, initially lies in court about being aware of the toxin but gets tripped up by incriminating documents
7. KBR loses the lawsuit and is ordered to pay $85 million
8. KBR turns around and asks the government to pick up the tab plus KBR's legal costs because of its contract

Net result: more soldiers die due to Halliburton (this time directly by one of their products than indirectly in combat), the taxpayer pays the damages, Halliburton walks away without a scratch.

Video for SA210 and Darrin:
tpc01D5OYjY

If this doesn't make you proud of the American military, nothing will. God Bless the US Military and the man they die for, Dick Cheney.

vy65
01-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Halliburton no longer owns KBR.

And also, fuck the troops.

vy65
01-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Divestiture occurred in 2005. You're way off base soldier ...

FuzzyLumpkins
01-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Halliburton no longer owns KBR.

And also, fuck the troops.

You are going to feel what you are going to feel but I am just afraid that sentiment is going to lead people spitting on returning soldiers a la early 70's. This is not directed at you but I find the trend disconcerting given my sense of history.

This is not saying that anyone needs to 'support the troops' but I would just hate to see that particular practice come back around.

Warlord23
01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Divestiture occurred in 2005. You're way off base soldier ...

Good timing on the part of Halliburton. Doesn't change the fact the Halliburton owned KBR when they won the contract, wrote the contract it in a way that allowed them to escape with zero penalties even if they knowingly caused harm to soldiers, and used the carcinogens.

Warlord23
01-10-2013, 07:11 PM
You are going to feel what you are going to feel but I am just afraid that sentiment is going to lead people spitting on returning soldiers a la early 70's. This is not directed at you but I find the trend disconcerting given my sense of history.

This is not saying that anyone needs to 'support the troops' but I would just hate to see that particular practice come back around.

I think people need to be educated on what the American military has become: a tool for economic pillage. Nobody's freedoms are being protected any more, except those of the military-industrial complex to do as they please on the world stage.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-10-2013, 08:04 PM
I think people need to be educated on what the American military has become: a tool for economic pillage. Nobody's freedoms are being protected any more, except those of the military-industrial complex to do as they please on the world stage.

I am not arguing along those lines. I am saying getting mad at the poorer types that end up being the ones volunteering for enlistment is wrong. War pigs have at it.

I think the above a naive view personally and that all wars in history have been about economic pillage and stuff like the Spanish American War was not about freedom and kittens. WW2 definitely seemed to be noble but most of the other wars I cannot really say that. Mexican American, Spanish American, hell even our revolution was more about a set of elites not liking taxation epsecially in the beginning Boston uprisings. "No taxation without representation" was a rallying cry.

vy65
01-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Good timing on the part of Halliburton. Doesn't change the fact the Halliburton owned KBR when they won the contract, wrote the contract it in a way that allowed them to escape with zero penalties even if they knowingly caused harm to soldiers, and used the carcinogens.

And what part of the contract is that?

Keep in mind that absolutely no court would enforce an indemnity agreement to indemnify a parties intentional (you say "knowing" conduct). None.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
freedom isn't free, there's a heavy fuckin fee!

boutons_deux
01-11-2013, 11:22 AM
freedom isn't free, there's a heavy fuckin fee!

When was the last time the MIC actually fought for Human-Americans' FREEDOM (as opposed to corporate profits) ?

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-11-2013, 12:54 PM
When was the last time the MIC actually fought for Human-Americans' FREEDOM (as opposed to corporate profits) ?

World War II

Warlord23
01-11-2013, 02:56 PM
And what part of the contract is that?

Keep in mind that absolutely no court would enforce an indemnity agreement to indemnify a parties intentional (you say "knowing" conduct). None.

We shall see. The contract was not made available to the DoJ till very recently because it was supposed to be "classified". Hope they get KBR to pony up the $85 Mn.

Warlord23
01-11-2013, 02:59 PM
I am not arguing along those lines. I am saying getting mad at the poorer types that end up being the ones volunteering for enlistment is wrong. War pigs have at it.

I think the above a naive view personally and that all wars in history have been about economic pillage and stuff like the Spanish American War was not about freedom and kittens. WW2 definitely seemed to be noble but most of the other wars I cannot really say that. Mexican American, Spanish American, hell even our revolution was more about a set of elites not liking taxation epsecially in the beginning Boston uprisings. "No taxation without representation" was a rallying cry.

Agreed that most wars are about economic pillage. However, in the past the average citizen was easily fooled by religious or nationalist propaganda from the establishment. This generation has access to many more sources of information and should know better.

vy65
01-11-2013, 02:59 PM
We shall see. The contract was not made available to the DoJ till very recently because it was supposed to be "classified". Hope they get KBR to pony up the $85 Mn.

No, we shan't. You don't get it: No court ever would allow a party to seek indemnity for, as you put it, its own knowing conduct.

vy65
01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Doyle said the agreement may mean a taxpayer “bailout” for KBR. “It's basically saying that no matter if we're guilty of -- willful misconduct, poisoning soldiers -- taxpayers have to pay to cover us as well as whatever we decide to pay on lawyers at whatever rates and all these fees,” Doyle said. “That's a pretty good bailout."

lolwut? bailout?

LnGrrrR
01-11-2013, 03:13 PM

Do you think that we could disband the entire military with no repercussions?

spursncowboys
01-11-2013, 03:39 PM

I would love for vy to try and spit in my face.

vy65
01-11-2013, 04:04 PM
I would love for vy to try and spit in my face.

I'm sure you would you sick fuck. God knows what kinda sick and depraved sexual proclivities you picked up from the army.

boutons_deux
01-11-2013, 04:25 PM
World War II

So why would ANYBODY want to join the Army or Marines and risk being sent into war for US corporate profits AND coming back dead, or alive with all kinds of physical and mental injuries?

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-11-2013, 04:39 PM
So why would ANYBODY want to join the Army or Marines and risk being sent into war for US corporate profits AND coming back dead, or alive with all kinds of physical and mental injuries?

Because it's their only route towards paying for college.

DUNCANownsKOBE
01-11-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm sure you would you sick fuck. God knows what kinda sick and depraved sexual proclivities you picked up from the army.

:lmao

Blake
01-11-2013, 04:41 PM

There are plenty of kids that don't know any better.

Plenty more who are in a situation where the Army and the risk of death is still better than life at home.

Latarian Milton
01-11-2013, 07:51 PM
don't understand why some people turn a bad mouth against those brothers who have shed blood or even lost their lives for their country. the pentagon might be a band of assholes and it's true that the troops are killing innocent people around the world, but it ain't their fault imho. people who're mad at what they do in iraq or afghanistan should spit at the pentagon instead, not the patriots in uniform.

boutons_deux
01-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Because it's their only route towards paying for college.

that worked after WWII, and it was a huge boost to the 99%, a true govt investment in the future of the country, even when the govt was HEAVILY indebted because of the war, but today military $$$ for college tuition isn't enough to cover college anymore.

Th'Pusher
01-11-2013, 09:17 PM
that worked after WWII, and it was a huge boost to the 99%, a true govt investment in the future of the country, even when the govt was HEAVILY indebted because of the war, but today military $$$ for college tuition isn't enough to cover college anymore.

and generally gets pilfered by for for profit colleges that do nothing more than saddle "students" with debt.

spursncowboys
01-12-2013, 04:18 PM
:lmao loser

spursncowboys
01-12-2013, 04:20 PM
don't understand why some people turn a bad mouth against those brothers who have shed blood or even lost their lives for their country. the pentagon might be a band of assholes and it's true that the troops are killing innocent people around the world, but it ain't their fault imho. people who're mad at what they do in iraq or afghanistan should spit at the pentagon instead, not the patriots in uniform.
who are these innocent people?

lefty
01-12-2013, 08:55 PM
lol troops