PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: Blazers stun Miami Heat, continue improbable season

tlongII
01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2013/01/blazers_stun_miami_heat_continue_improbable_season .html

http://imgick.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/width748/img/oregonian/photo/2013/01/12102065-mmmain.jpg

You have to hand it to these tantalizing Trail Blazers. They sure do keep things interesting.

In one of the most improbable and impressive performances of the season, the Trail Blazers had another you-had-to-be-there-to-believe-it outing, defeating the Miami Heat 92-90 Thursday night before a national TNT audience and a sellout crowd of 20,536 at the Rose Garden.

After hanging on for dear life through three physical, grinding and lethargic quarters, the Blazers stole a victory from the reigning NBA champions with a captivating and clutch final quarter. The Blazers scored 10 consecutive points during one dominating fourth-quarter stretch and closed the game with a 20-8 run over the final 6:26, stunning MVP LeBron James and the Heat’s vaunted Big Three.

In the process, the Blazers (20-15) won for the 12th time in the last 15 games and for the ninth consecutive time at the Rose Garden. They also improved to 11-2 in games decided by six points or less.

“I don’t know if it has context right now,” Blazers coach Terry Stotts said afterward of the win. “Maybe in a couple weeks, maybe in a couple months, it will have some context. Right now, it’s about a team that’s growing together, finding ways to win games, defending home court. I think it’s just a continuation of what we’ve been trying to build.”

And what the Blazers are building right now, with unexpected victory after unexpected victory, is a playoff-caliber team that — apparently — can beat anybody.

The Heat built as large as a 12-point lead Thursday night as Chris Bosh (29 points), Dwyane Wade (18 points) and James (15 points, 10 rebounds, nine assists) did just enough on offense and Miami’s aggressive, attacking defense stymied the Blazers. But in the blink of an eye, the Blazers — despite shooting just 38 percent in the game — suddenly found some magic.

Nicolas Batum started snatching steals and turning them into coast-to-coast three-point plays, Wesley Matthews started draining three-pointers. LaMarcus Aldridge started grabbing every rebound in sight. A commanding 82-72 Miami lead suddenly evaporated into an 82-82 tie.

Then, as they have all season, the Blazers made just enough clutch plays down the stretch to steal the victory. After Ray Allen swished a three-pointer to give the Heat an 85-82 lead, Batum drained two free throws. After Bosh drained a 22-foot jumper and Allen made 1 of 2 free throws, Wesley Matthews hit the shot of the night, swishing a beautiful three-pointer over Allen to tie the score 88-88.

Then Matthews one-upped himself. After Bosh converted a two-handed dunk with 43.9 seconds left, Matthews answered with another three. This time, he collected a pass from Batum in front of the Heat bench and nailed a corner three, giving the Blazers a 91-90 edge with 26.9 seconds left.

Allen missed a three on the ensuing possession, Aldridge made 1 of 2 free throws and the Heat were given one last-gasp chance to sneak away with the win. But Bosh passed up a midrange jumper in the closing seconds and instead passed to Mario Chalmers, who got a clean, wide open three-point look at the buzzer.

It misfired. And the Blazers escaped with their most impressive win of the season. Afterward, as confetti rained on the arena floor, Matthews stood at center court wearing a wide smile across his face and Batum raised his hands high to applaud a raucous crowd. If anything, those two players were the ones deserving a clap.

Matthews’ defense on James — the Blazer killer — was stout and sturdy all night long. With Matthews at his side seemingly everywhere he moved on the court, James finished just 6 of 16 from the field and was held to less than 20 points for the first time this season. He entered the game averaging 31.2 points per game at the Rose Garden — the most of any player in arena history. But he was held to roughly half that Thursday night.

“I thought he made him work,” Stotts said of Matthews’ defense on James. “LeBron’s a great player. He almost has a triple-double, but I thought he did a good job on him. Wes didn’t really give him alleys to the basket. He got four of his points in transition early in the game. But I thought in halfcourt defense, he did a nice job of taking away angles and forcing him to be a passer and keeping him from the rim.”

Meanwhile, after a sluggish start, Batum was dominant when it mattered most. He scored 10 points in fourth quarter, when he seemed to be everywhere, and finished with 28 points, seven rebounds, five assists and two steals.

“This team showed me that they love me, that they trust me,” Batum said. “I try to be on court, and for the fans, I try to give everything for the city.”

Aldridge battled the Heat’s physical defense and shaky shooting all night, but managed to finish with 20 points and 15 rebounds and Matthews added 18 points for the Blazers.

After notching impressive road victories over the New York Knicks, Memphis Grizzlies and Minnesota Timberwolves last week, the Blazers one-upped themselves against the Heat (23-11) Thursday night.

“That’s what we’ve been talking about all year,” Matthews said. “Play hard every possession, do what it takes to win it. There’s not a team we can’t come back from. There’s not a team that we can’t beat.”

Notes: The Blazers' nine-game home winning streak is their longest since Jan. 24-March 9, 2009. During the run, the Blazers have held eight of nine opponents to 94 or fewer points. ... Aldridge's 15 rebounds were tied for a season-high. He had his 15th double-double of the season. ... Matthews has scored 18 or more points in four consecutive games, which ties a career-high.

Stalin
01-11-2013, 10:15 AM
acting like they won a championship :lol

TrainOfThought5
01-11-2013, 10:44 AM
ANYTHING IS POSSIBLEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

they are an exciting scrappy team, to be honest.

tlongII
01-11-2013, 11:09 AM
http://i.imgur.com/dZ5KY.jpg

Great picture!

Richie
01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
If the Blazers make the playoffs, they won't get out of the first round. The Blazers are a bad team, winning now is just going to resign them to long term mediocrity. Portland needs lottery talent to surround Aldridge and Lillard.

flipspursfan
01-11-2013, 11:18 AM
tl:lolng

tlongII
01-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Playoffs??? I'm not expecting playoffs. However, it is possible. We have excellent starters. We just need some more help on the bench. We'll be able to address that in the off-season whether we're in the playoffs or not.

lefty
01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
good game Tlong

Matthews shitting on Wade with that in your face 3 pointer :lol

:lol Wade
:lol TOSB

Richie
01-11-2013, 12:11 PM
good game Tlong

Matthews shitting on Wade with that in your face 3 pointer :lol

:lol Wade
:lol TOSB

He shot it in Allens face

Cry Havoc
01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Hard not to like this Blazers team, TBH. Buncha young bloods learning on the fly.

Brazil
01-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Batum is having a very nice year... he is finally starting to realize his potential and playing accordingly

lefty
01-11-2013, 01:48 PM
He shot it in Allens face

meh both TOSBs

whitemamba
01-11-2013, 02:00 PM
solid win tbh.

spurraider21
01-11-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm tired of Portland. It seems like for a majority of the past 10 years they have been the perennial "team nobody wants to face in the playoffs yet they keep getting knocked out in the first round" team.

But then again these are different. Aldridge, Batum, Lillard are all legit. If only Oden and Roy had knees.

hehateme
01-11-2013, 03:35 PM
it looked like portland had been saving all that confettie that fell from the ceiling for ages when they won...

callo1
01-11-2013, 05:56 PM
I like the Blazers tbh...classy team with good leadership, fans etc.

If the Spurs were out of the mix, they would be the team I would be pulling for.

Very capable team. People keep saying Houston is the darkhorse team, I think Portland is just as much. A deeper bench and they would be super scary.

SpursIndonesia
01-11-2013, 07:26 PM
If this team can gel & grow together, not getting cocky before winning anything, avoiding fate that always looms badly, they can be great in the near future. Still need atleast a serviceable, defensive center (is Leonard Meyers good enough ?), and the bench needs serious upgrade, but Tlong has serious case to be very optimistic (should control the gloating though, and less premature climaxing please). :smokin

Latarian Milton
01-11-2013, 08:17 PM
we don't have a legit rebounder nor a shot blocker in the paint. you know the team is not doing all right when bron is your top rebounder. playing bosh at C gives you extra mobility at the offensive end but it's well negated by the loss of strength in defense due to the lack of a presence. the team didn't get much better last summer despite acquiring ray allen who's been a solid performer for us, and it was a mistake to sign lewis when camby was still available and could've been had for about the same price or less.

irishock
01-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Portland was instrumental in Dallas' 2011 run.

SpursIndonesia
01-11-2013, 08:36 PM
we don't have a legit rebounder nor a shot blocker in the paint. you know the team is not doing all right when bron is your top rebounder. playing bosh at C gives you extra mobility at the offensive end but it's well negated by the loss of strength in defense due to the lack of a presence. the team didn't get much better last summer despite acquiring ray allen who's been a solid performer for us, and it was a mistake to sign lewis when camby was still available and could've been had for about the same price or less.

Yeah, Camby is still solid for 20-25 minutes a night, and his ugly yet decent midrange jumper will avoid lane crowding & not disrupting big 3 offensive game. Even guy like Mahinmi will be a substantial help for them. IMHO, Allen is kinda redundant with Battier & Miller still around.

rayjayjohnson
01-11-2013, 11:29 PM
acting like they won a championship :lol

racm
01-12-2013, 06:01 AM
I'm tired of Portland. It seems like for a majority of the past 10 years they have been the perennial "team nobody wants to face in the playoffs yet they keep getting knocked out in the first round" team.

But then again these are different. Aldridge, Batum, Lillard are all legit. If only Oden and Roy had knees.

They haven't left the 1st round since Scottie Pippen's tenure, tbh

8FOR!3
01-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Portland's problem is their bench is God awful.