PDA

View Full Version : Horry talking to the Knicks?

rr2418
06-30-2005, 08:52 PM
I heard a rumor that Horry was in NY talking to the Knicks. Man, I hope this is not true! You would think that Horry would want to stay with a team that gives him the best chance to win the championship again. The Spurs have to be a favorite again!

missmyzte
06-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Horry is talking to the Knicks ... he called Malik to say hi, what's up. Then he's going to re-sign in San Antonio. He's already said that although he's a free agent, he doesn't think he's leaving SA.

AI-square
06-30-2005, 08:54 PM
LOL. How many PFs do the Knicks need? Are they really going to field a starting 5 of PFs? I don't think it's true and even if it is, I'm quite sure that it won't work out well.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Are we going to have to put up with this crap all summer?

At least give a source.

Or say you're making it up like I do.

whottt
Horry isn't going to the Knicks...#1. They don't have any money to offer him. #2.They have 6.4 billion power forwards on their roster already, while it may not matter to them, you can bet that Horry notices it. #3. They'll be a playoff team this year but they won't be a title contender, Horry or not. #4. That's about as far away from Houston as you can get and Horry wants to be close to Houston.

Ridiculous rumor IMO.

constantstate
I heard a rumor that Horry was in NY talking to the Knicks. Man, I hope this is not true! You would think that Horry would want to stay with a team that gives him the best chance to win the championship again. The Spurs have to be a favorite again!
you know with everything being said, what if a team offers robbert horry something we can't/won't pay?

whottt
06-30-2005, 08:57 PM
you know with everything being said, what if a team offers robbert horry something we can't/won't pay?

Then it'll be bye bye Horry....but the Knicks aren't the team that can do that.

exstatic
06-30-2005, 08:58 PM

The Knicks won't. They have too many holes to blow their one exception on a specialty piece. Robert Horry won't help the Knicks because the Knicks won't be playing after Income Tax Day.

nkdlunch
06-30-2005, 08:59 PM

1. it would have to be a title contender team(you know how much Horry likes to win championships)
2. it would have to be a team w/good starters. 'Cause Horry doesn't want to be a starter. He wants to have as few minutes as possible in the regular season and still come off the bench in playoffs.

what teams are there like this????

constantstate
06-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Then it'll be bye bye Horry....but the Knicks aren't the team that can do that.
would/could houston or miami be able to do it? (i dont know their situations) i mean for a one year deal... or 2.

rr2418
06-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Are we going to have to put up with this crap all summer?

At least give a source.

Or say you're making it up like I do.

No! I'm not making this up! I heard it on the 760 morning show with Walter and Jeff.

midgetonadonkey
06-30-2005, 09:01 PM
I also heard a rumor. I heard Horry is going to re-enroll in college and go play with Gonzaga.

These damn rumor posts are getting terribly ridiculous.

whottt
06-30-2005, 09:07 PM
The Heat and Houston are over the cap too...basically none of these teams can offer Horry anynthing more than the MLE...I don't even know if all of them have the MLE to offfer this year...And I believe the Spurs have Horry's early bird rights so they can offer him the MLE as well...without using their own MLE exception...

Even if I am wrong...NY has one of the highest state income tax rates and by the time it's all said and done...with the travel, and the losing...the extra Horry would get over the 3 million or so we can offer him would not be enough.

The biggest threats are the Heat and the Rockets...I think Horry knows the title won't go through Miami...and SA is probably not far enough away from Houston to make it worth Horry's while to give up a ring...

constantstate
06-30-2005, 09:08 PM
well i agree about the knicks. (and it wouldnt make any sense for them even if they could) but as soon as it was mentioned i thought about houston or miami.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 09:11 PM
No! I'm not making this up! I heard it on the 760 morning show with Walter and Jeff.Oh, sports radio? Why didn't you say so?

He's gone then.

Seriously though, any rumors of players talking before the new cap year starts are false; a guy like Horry isn't worth Zeke's getting a tampering fine. The Knicks aren't anywhere near that level of contention.

E20
06-30-2005, 09:11 PM
I heard Tim Duncan might be traded to the Clippers for Chris Kaman.

constantstate
06-30-2005, 09:13 PM
I heard Tim Duncan might be traded to the Clippers for Chris Kaman.
i know you're kidding... but seriously... what was up with that guy playing against us? he looked like an accountant... or a cpa... and he was playing all world on us. :lol

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 09:14 PM
How could he be talking to the Knicks when the free agency period hasn't even started?

This thread could have been started tomorrow and then maybe someone would believe it.

timvp
06-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think signing Horry is going to be a walk in the park? I think some teams (Heat, Rockets, Dallas, Phoenix, Detroit, Indiana, etc) would kill to have a playoff balla who has never not made it to the second round. After his playoff performance, I could see a team throwing a four year, $20M+ contract at him.

Heck, McDyess could barely walk last year and the Pistons gave him a similar contract. Don't get me started on players like Adonal Foyle and Brian Cardinal...

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 09:16 PM
i thought about houston or miami.Miami's exception is going to Haslem.

Houston? Maybe, but they need a Cato type PF and a true point guard more.

I don't see them spending the kind of scratch the Spurs can and have spent on their role playing big men.

constantstate
06-30-2005, 09:18 PM
i think that too timvp. it wasnt really the rumor, but the idea of him getting "outrageous" offers from another team. those arent so outrageous as they used to be. (miami and the rockets being the first on the list)

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Horry is talking to the Knicks ... he called Malik to say hi, what's up.

Malik isn't in New York though. So you're a freakin' LIAR! ;)

spurster
06-30-2005, 09:19 PM
I haven't heard anything about Horry, but I heard that Malik got traded to the Knicks.

exstatic
06-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Bob knows what side his bread is buttered on. Pick the best big man in the league. Ride his back to a title or three. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Yao isn't that big man. Shaq was, but is no longer. He failed last summer to lure Bob to Miami, and that was when SA was wavering and going Malone.

constantstate
06-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Miami's exception is going to Haslem.

Houston? Maybe, but they need a Cato type PF and a true point guard more.

I don't see them spending the kind of scratch the Spurs can and have spent on their role playing big men.
wasnt horry a cato before cato was cato? they'd be getting a guy whos good in the highpost, floats outside for a 3 and could pass it to yao when mcspacie forgets he's there.

Manu20
06-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think signing Horry is going to be a walk in the park? I think some teams (Heat, Rockets, Dallas, Phoenix, Detroit, Indiana, etc) would kill to have a playoff balla who has never not made it to the second round. After his playoff performance, I could see a team throwing a four year, $20M+ contract at him.

I'm with you but I still think he will stay with the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 09:27 PM
wasnt horry a cato before cato was cato?Oh god no, Cato was a bodyguard who saved Yao alot of punishment. Howard does a decent job from midrange and is under contract forever.

There is a slight possibility Horry would go there -- but could he not have gone there last season as well? Was there ever any contact between Horry and Houston last summer. If I heard about it now it would be the first time.

midgetonadonkey
06-30-2005, 09:34 PM

Heck, McDyess could barely walk last year and the Pistons gave him a similar contract. Don't get me started on players like Adonal Foyle and Brian Cardinal...

Even if offered that kind of money, do you think he can really get another ring with any of those teams? He is all about rings, the money is there. It's not like he isn't eating steak everynight. He wants the most rings he can get, and I'm sure he knows his best chance is where he is.

kevm2
06-30-2005, 09:38 PM
I doubt he would go to Houston either. Horry wants to play for championship rings more than money IMO, and Houston has problems getting out of the first round. There are simply too many questions for Houston to answer for him to just up and bolt from a team he JUST won a ring with. Also, he said this is the first team he's liked both his teammates and the coaching staff. Houston would bring him closer to his family, but I think he'd be satisfied with having a little distance between his family to still compete for rings.

exstatic
06-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Let's start with the premise that Horry wants to play on a title contender, and that only a contender would have the talent level to let him fuck off at 15 mpg from November to April, then ratchet him up to 25-30mpg in the playoffs.

That leaves SA, Detroit, Phoenix, and Miami. We'll scratch Phoenix, since there is some history there, and it's not good. Scratch Detroit, because this is the exact kind of player that gets under LB's skin (yes, I think he'll be back). Larry would never know how to use him correctly. Miami put the big sell on him last year and failed, and that was after SA flamed out in the second round, not won a title. After all is said and done, I think Pop steps up with a nice 2-3 year deal for him. Remember, Pop took care of Ferry in his last year, AJ in his last year, and Bowen after he signed for the veteran's minimum.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Heat, Rockets, Dallas, Phoenix, Detroit, Indiana

Out of all those the only ones that worry me are Miami and Detroit, but I think Detroit's too cold and both are too far from Houston and Horry's family situation.

Don't see him going to Houston - TMac will always be shooting anyway.
Dallas - too many shooters for one ball as it is.
Phoenix - he'd be on a short bench being asked to play 25-30 minutes a night. DOn't see him wanting to do that either.

The Spurs have his early bird rights and after he hand delivered the franchise ring #3, I see them using that to give Horry a nice retirement bonus with a two year deal starting at MLE-type money.

picnroll
06-30-2005, 09:42 PM
First Houston front office said they want to get younger, that's not Horry. Second Rob saidthat after playing a couple more years he like to get into coaching or front office work. I'm sure Spurs and Horry could work something out, even defer a little money post playing career. What franchise would you rather develop a coaching or front office pedigree from than the Spurs?

constantstate
06-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Oh god no, Cato was a bodyguard who saved Yao alot of punishment. Howard does a decent job from midrange and is under contract forever.

There is a slight possibility Horry would go there -- but could he not have gone there last season as well? Was there ever any contact between Horry and Houston last summer. If I heard about it now it would be the first time.

i was just saying that horry wouldn't be the worst way to go for them now? i dont know about contracts that were offered last season... im just saying its not so outrageous to think horry would be given/offered a fat one or two year deal from a team he wants to go to.

whottt
06-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Horry definitely won't go to Phoenix...he doesn't like to run a whole lot at this stage of his career, he wasn't a huge fan of the Spurs doing it this year...

Dallas really doesn't need him...although he might have some kind of ties with AJ like Elie did.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 09:48 PM
lol - does anyone remember Horry's first run in Phoenix?

Their fans sure do -- no way he goes there.
i was just saying that horry wouldn't be the worst way to go for them now? i dont know about contracts that were offered last season... im just saying its not so outrageous to think horry would be given/offered a fat one or two year deal from a team he wants to go to.I think the Spurs have a relatively fat two year deal penciled in for Rob right now.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Dallas really doesn't need him.With Dirk and Van Horn there?

Correct.

constantstate
06-30-2005, 09:50 PM
hopefully... i think so too. a 2 or 3 year deal. with whatever makes him comfortable and can still accommodate other moves in the near future.

Horry For 3!
06-30-2005, 09:59 PM
lmao @ this thread. I have said this many times and I will put it in big letters for you now.

HORRY IS STAYING IN SAN ANTONIO FOR ANOTHER 2 - 3 YEARS. THANK YOU, HAVE A NICE DAY.

Solid D
06-30-2005, 10:05 PM
Robert flew to New York to appear on the Regis and Kathy Lee show. Perhaps that's how the Knicks thing (rumor or fabrication or whatever) surfaced.

bonesinaz
06-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Even if I am wrong...NY has one of the highest state income tax rates and by the time it's all said and done...with the travel, and the losing...the extra Horry would get over the 3 million or so we can offer him would not be enough.

You are dead on about the state income tax in NY.....I used to work there and it was really depressing how much I paid in taxes.

Solid D
06-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Robert flew to New York to appear on the Regis and Kathy Lee show. Perhaps that's how the Knicks thing (rumor or fabrication or whatever) surfaced.

I saw a short segment of the tape of his appearance. Robert said to Regis on the show in NY that he would likely re-sign with the Spurs. He wants to re-sign with the Spurs.

FearDaDuncaN_SA
06-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Horry is staying in S.A.! ;)

Extra Stout
07-01-2005, 08:49 AM
SA and Miami are the only legit suitors, and Miami is mostly leverage so that SA doesn't lowball him.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Horry's a name and when a name free agent is available all of the usual spendthrift organizations will be rumored as potential destinations for him.

sa_butta
07-01-2005, 08:59 AM
I dont think there is any reason for anyone to panic Im sure that signing Horry is a priority. I am confident he will be back here.

ObiwanGinobili
07-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Well I must say that if I was looking for an assload of money and didn't really have to work for it.... I'd sign with the knicks.

Horry could get 6-8 mil out of Isiaha "i'm a retard" Thomas - and only have to play @ 1/2 strength in the reg season... and he wouldn't even have to worry about post season, casue it ain't gonna happen.
Horry signing with teh Knicks would be RETIREMENT basicly.

It's not gonna happen. Horry is more of a man then that.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Well I must say that if I was looking for an assload of money and didn't really have to work for it.... I'd sign with the knicks.

Horry could get 6-8 mil out of Isiaha "i'm a retard" Thomas - and only have to play @ 1/2 strength in the reg season... and he wouldn't even have to worry about post season, casue it ain't gonna happen.
Horry signing with teh Knicks would be RETIREMENT basicly.

It's not gonna happen. Horry is more of a man then that.

What she said :lol

nanya
07-01-2005, 09:09 PM
HORRY ISNT JOINING THE KNICKS, HE COULDNT AT LEAST I HOPE HE ISNT CONSIDERING IT HE BELONGS IN THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS :depressed