PDA

View Full Version : The Backup PG Position

AFBlue
01-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Does anyone actually want it?

Neal, Mills and De Colo have all fallen flat when given the opportunity (sometimes multiple) to grab it. Is it time to give Joseph a shot?

SpursRock20
01-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Mills can be a good back-up point guard if he has the right pieces around him.

TDMVPDPOY
01-11-2013, 11:07 PM
gary neal should only get playin time when its a bailout shot thats needed

every other time his on the court its either turnover, trading stupid baskets, or him giving up the lead...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-11-2013, 11:09 PM
This really needs to be addressed. We often go in the tank when Neal is running the team.

Either make Manu the permanent backup PG, or pick one of Mills/De Colo/Joseph and give him 10 games to prove himself.

TheSkeptic
01-11-2013, 11:13 PM
This really needs to be addressed. We often go in the tank when Neal is running the team.

Either make Manu the permanent backup PG, or pick one of Mills/De Colo/Joseph and give him 10 games to prove himself.

Mills is not a point guard and Manu won't work as the backup PG against a team like OKC or the Clippers. CoJo and De Colo are the only options at this point. I'm thinking that unless Pop's willing to play Manu with the first unit more (Green/De Colo) that CoJo is the guy who should probably get the nod.

spurraider21
01-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Looks like Manu will have to play point guard. That's fine I guess but we can't rely on him to defend a point guard. Neal or Mills have to play the 2 on offense and defend the opposing pg

timtonymanu
01-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Patty has been given opportunities but he shit the bed. Much more suited in a SG role.

Nando is too offensively limited. But otherwise, he would be a good option.

Neal just NO.

Joseph should be given a shot, tbh. He needs the experience instead of playing in Austin. His defense alone should help his cause.

playblair
01-11-2013, 11:16 PM
^ word cojo should be the back up pg .......

TDMVPDPOY
01-11-2013, 11:22 PM
all the backups pg on this team, dont do anything besides bringing the ball upcourt then passing it to manu who then starts to create plays...

lol paying these clowns just to bring the ball up but cant do any playmaking....fkn pathetic

ace3g
01-11-2013, 11:22 PM
bold prediction, although that is the reason CJ is in Austin is to develop, but maybe the plan all along was to play Neal up to the trade deadline to keep his trade value high and use him in a package and then bring in Cojo (who is playing heavy minutes in the Spurs system in Austin) to step in as true back up final half of the season.

Brunodf
01-11-2013, 11:24 PM
De Colo should get the backup PG spot and Ginobili should start

HI-FI
01-11-2013, 11:30 PM
bold prediction, although that is the reason CJ is in Austin is to develop, but maybe the plan all along was to play Neal up to the trade deadline to keep his trade value high and use him in a package and then bring in Cojo (who is playing heavy minutes in the Spurs system in Austin) to step in as true back up final half of the season.

I hope you're right, and it makes sense. I like CoJo, he's our homegrown guy, and I certainly don't feel good abut Neal as our PG. Other than shooting, there's not much else there. I like Nando but it seems he still needs some work.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-11-2013, 11:59 PM

I like your bold prediction. CIA Pop work. :tu

timvp
01-12-2013, 12:00 AM
The backup PG disaster is a mess right now. When is the last time a backup point guard put together two solid halves behind Parker?

Leetonidas
01-12-2013, 12:03 AM
I think De Colo needs to be given the reigns and time to figure it out. It's obvious he has vision and talent, maybe it's not helping his confidence getting yanked around with playing time. imo he has shown the most promise backing up Parker, even if his offense isn't great, he still can run sets and get the ball to where it needs to be. Can't say the same about Neal/Mills

TheSkeptic
01-12-2013, 12:06 AM
^^ I think he'd have to be playing with Green to make that work though. With Manu he becomes more of a spot-up shooter which obviously Neal and Mills are better suited for. Thing is, defensively a Mills or Neal/De Colo backcourt just isn't going to get it done. Although as a fan I think the situation is dire enough that it's worth making the change, Pop may not want to make such a dramatic departure from his usual rotation.

Leetonidas
01-12-2013, 12:08 AM
That's because Manu handles the ball the most for the second unit when he can do a lot without the ball in his hands. De Colo should be the primary ball handler and Manu should be making cuts and going around screens. And I realize it's because Manu is a wizard with the ball but he also throws so many errant passes or he tries to get fancy when there is no need to, he's always throwing the ball away or not throwing crisp passes and they get deflected or picked off a lot.

freetiago
01-12-2013, 12:10 AM
De colo is a 2 not a PG
his ceiling would be grievis vasquez but he doesnt have the touch around the rim or the strength vasquez does

Neal is also a 2 but you wont find minutes for him behind green/ginobili
hes more injury insurance but hes also good enough not to be chained to the bench

Mills is a 2 in a PG body
good energy player who can get hot in a hurry and provide some hustle

Best thing to do would be to trade Neal/Blair/Bonner/pick for someone like Sebastian Telfair
Good ballhandler who can penetrate
passing isnt elite for a backup like TJ ford but he can get it done
Acceptable numbers from 3 point range

Phoenix would be the rare win/win for both teams
They drafted Kendall Marshall whos rotting away in the d-league and they could be trying to stockpile picks to make some big moves
I know they were going hard for SGs like Mayo/Gordon/Harden and neal isnt exactly them but hes a nice 6th man/backup for them

DapDaGenius
01-12-2013, 12:14 AM
I'd like for them to give CoJo a try. If CoJo proved himself worthy of the backup spot, who do you guys think would be the first off of the team(out of the rest of the PGs)?

timvp
01-12-2013, 12:35 AM
De colo is a 2 not a PG
Disagree. His passing and playmaking make him a point guard. He's not a good enough scorer to be a shooting guard. His instincts are all 100% point guard.

his ceiling would be grievis vasquez but he doesnt have the touch around the rim
lol wut

Vasquez is horrible around the rim. Looking it up, he's shoots 44% at the basket ... that's dramatically worse than even Danny Green :lol

Neal is also a 2

Mills is a 2 in a PG body
Agreed with both of that, unfortunately.

Best thing to do would be to trade Neal/Blair/Bonner/pick for someone like Sebastian Telfair
A trade is not out of the question but Telfair? No thanks. He can't shoot. Not a very good passer; racks up a shockingly few amount of assists for the number of plays he's involved in. Not a defender and has no intangibles to speak of. I'd rather go with CJ before trading for Telfair specifically, tbh.

dallasmaverickslose
01-12-2013, 12:43 AM
It sure would be nice if we could draft ourselves a serviceable pure PG in the upcoming draft... Perhaps we could find a way to package Blair and Neal (or De Colo or some other SG on our roster) and move up to have a higher draft pick.

If we play our cards right maybe we could end up drafting Ian Miller out of Florida St. or maybe even Lorenzo Brown from NC St.

cd98
01-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Our backups can't handle ball pressure.

freetiago
01-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Well who did you have in mind with a blair/bonner package
im sure the clippers are waiting for us to offer it for bledsoe

vasquez has played a lot better as the season has gone on
didnt he have like a 18/10 december or something
and im looking at his last 30 day shot chart and hes shooting 50%+ in all areas but one and hes also attempted the fewest shots from that area
he also had to create a lot out of nothing and hes improved a lot since eric gordon has showed up, not a coincidence
vasquez floater isnt bad either tbh per par

De colo is 0 threat to score most nights
almost as bad as diaw on the scouting report
Teams will just sag off him and play the pass
its why we lost the miami game
His decent scoring games have all come during garbage time and not when he was thrown in during actual play time

And everything you say about Parker you could say about Telfair tbh
hes improved as times gone on and telfair is also
given what the spurs have to give up and what they can expect telfair is about the best they can hope for
Telfair Career per 36 2.6 TO and 5.8 Assists
Parker Career per 36 2.8 TO and 6.5 Assists

He has actual NBA experience over Joseph
Joseph sounds nice but he also hasnt really played any nba games and its already mid season

Telfair really only has to give you 12-15 minutes of not turning the ball over and getting the spurs into their sets
and hes shooting above average from 3 this season on high volume

I would also like the spurs to give Joseph a try since you wont find a PG with his skillset available at the trade deadline (defense/get teams into sets) but if the spurs had to make a trade the best they could hope for is a Sebastian Telfair
and a pipedream would be someone like Eric Maynor

Floyd Pacquiao
01-12-2013, 12:54 AM
find a way to get :cry Delonte West tbh

TJastal
01-12-2013, 01:24 AM
This problem can be solved with an application of logic.

Since Ginobili is going to be playing in the 2nd unit the main priority is getting a guy who can bring the ball up under pressure. That excludes the two sharpshooters Neal & Mills, unfortunately. That leaves either DeColo or Cojo... and I believe DeColo is the better of the two. Plus DeColo has a bit more experience under his belt, not only this season, but in prior seasons.

That said, Pop needs to make a decision already on who to play and stick with it the rest of the year. This strategy (and I use that term loosely) he deploys year after year of continuing to play a logjam of assholes indefenitely because he just can't make up his friggin mind eventually becomes toxic to team chemistry and morale. Which I believe is what were starting to see happen again right now (last season it was the big rotation he dicked around with forever).

TJastal
01-12-2013, 01:37 AM
find a way to get :cry Delonte West tbh

+1 Agreed. West would solve the problems of backup PG better than any of the current spurs IMHO. He has the handles that Neal and Mills don't, plus the experience that Joseph and DeColo don't. And he can flat out hit 3's. SA better snatch him before LA does though....

http://nba.si.com/2012/12/12/los-angeles-lakers-point-guard-help-steve-nash-delonte-west/

In terms of on-court fit, West could be a really nice choice for the Lakers. He can handle and make plays, but is best suited for a more balanced role in which he isn’t put in complete control of the offense.

He'd be a perfect fit next to Manu in the 2nd unit.

Boomersgold
01-12-2013, 01:42 AM
This problem can be solved with an application of logic.

Since Ginobili is going to be playing in the 2nd unit the main priority is getting a guy who can bring the ball up under pressure. That excludes the two sharpshooters Neal & Mills, unfortunately. That leaves either DeColo or Cojo... and I believe DeColo is the better of the two. Plus DeColo has a bit more experience under his belt, not only this season, but in prior seasons.

That said, Pop needs to make a decision already on who to play and stick with it the rest of the year. This strategy (and I use that term loosely) he deploys year after year of continuing to play a logjam of assholes because he just can't make up his friggin mind eventually becomes toxic to team chemistry and morale. Which I believe is what were starting to see happen again right now (last season it was the big rotation he dicked around with forever).

Actually, since Ginobili plays with the second unit, the main priority is to have someone that plays WELL with him. Unfortunately for De Colo, or fortunately for Patty, Ginobili is most comfortable as a play maker, someone who has the ball in his hands for most of a possession, which therefore forces the backup point guard to be a spot up shooter. That would make Neal and Patty the best candidates, right? Wrong. Neal's too slow to bring the ball up to half court (to give to Manu), and instead of allowing Manu to set up the play, Neal tends to go off on a tangent and force ill-conceived shots that usually miss.

If you look at timvp's "player pair analysis", you'll see that out of all the backup point guards that we have available, Manu seems to play the best with Patty.

All this being said, I'd be happy to see anyone out there instead of Neal. He's had too many chances to prove himself, and he's underwhelmed each time.

TJastal
01-12-2013, 01:51 AM
Actually, since Ginobili plays with the second unit, the main priority is to have someone that plays WELL with him. Unfortunately for De Colo, or fortunately for Patty, Ginobili is most comfortable as a play maker, someone who has the ball in his hands for most of a possession, which therefore forces the backup point guard to be a spot up shooter. That would make Neal and Patty the best candidates, right? Wrong. Neal's too slow to bring the ball up to half court (to give to Manu), and instead of allowing Manu to set up the play, Neal tends to go off on a tangent and force ill-conceived shots that usually miss.

If you look at timvp's "player pair analysis", you'll see that out of all the backup point guards that we have available, Manu seems to play the best with Patty.

All this being said, I'd be happy to see anyone out there instead of Neal. He's had too many chances to prove himself, and he's underwhelmed each time.

I'd be happy with Patty also. Neal has gotten an extended look to develop his point guard "ball handling" skills and its becoming obvious he's just not going to be able to do it consistently. I'm all for Patty getting a crack. However before resorting to this, the spurs should go hard after Delonte West who is by far the best option available atm. The key here being West can play defense on big guards, something that Patty cannot do, and something that will be very important esp come playoffs.

TJastal
01-12-2013, 01:57 AM
Here's my bold prediction: Pop will continue to use the clusterfuck trio of DeColo, Mills, & Neal right up until a week and a half before the playoffs start. And with the new addition of that Aussie, the frontcourt will also probably be a clusterfuck of epic proportions too.

:lol

Floyd Pacquiao
01-12-2013, 02:01 AM
Let's be real though their is ZERO chance the Spurs go after or get west. And I doubt he would sign the for the league minimum.

TJastal
01-12-2013, 02:08 AM
Let's be real though their is ZERO chance the Spurs go after or get west. And I doubt he would sign the for the league minimum.

:cry

sasffl
01-12-2013, 02:18 AM
TJ Ford is the right person, but injury destroy him. I like Avery Bradley

TDMVPDPOY
01-12-2013, 02:26 AM
how about johnny flynn the former wolves top pick making his trade down here in australia on a 1m contract....

chapnis
01-12-2013, 02:45 AM
how about johnny flynn the former wolves top pick making his trade down here in australia on a 1m contract....

Cedric Jackson? Except his FT shooting is terrible.

crc21209
01-12-2013, 03:16 AM
I'd give Mills and De Colo shots at it again. Neal has already lost the job in my eyes. He should only come in to spot Green or Manu minutes when they're gassed or when they are cold and the Spurs need a shooter to get hot....

TJastal
01-12-2013, 03:21 AM
I'd give Mills and De Colo shots at it again. Neal has already lost the job in my eyes. He should only come in to spot Green or Manu minutes when they're gassed or when they are cold and the Spurs need a shooter to get hot....

Bingo. That should be Neal's exact role on the team, same as Bonner should have.

Bruno
01-12-2013, 07:05 AM
The backup PG should be either Mills or Joseph.

To me, it's really important to have a backup PG with enough footspeed. This need is even bigger because Spurs second unit is quite slow on the perimeter. I would like to see Joseph getting a shot because I think he could eb the answer but I would understand Pop thinking he isn't ready and going with Mills.

Regarding Neal and De Colo, Neal should be traded and De Colo should be the third string SG. Neal is a good player but just doesn't fit with Spurs' roster. De Colo is more suited at SG and, to open a little more playing time for him, Pop should ban Bonner fron the rotation and have Jack/Kawhi playing his minutes at the PF spot.

MoSpur
01-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Guys I've wanted gone for awhile are Neal and Bonner. Neal sucks as a PG, but its not his position. The sad thing is that it seems to have messed up his shooting. He is a spot up shooter. Same with Bonner. Find a team that needs outside shooting and get a PG or someone who can handle the ball, create a shot for himself, or others.

I really thought De Colo would be the backup PG, but for some reason Pop doesn't trust him. Cory Joseph is our only other option. How is he doing with the Toros?

MoSpur
01-12-2013, 11:22 AM
In Joseph's last three games he's had 7 turnovers and 13 assists. He's scoring a lot and his rebounding looks great though.

TE
01-12-2013, 11:25 AM
The backup PG should be either Mills or Joseph.

To me, it's really important to have a backup PG with enough footspeed. This need is even bigger because Spurs second unit is quite slow on the perimeter. I would like to see Joseph getting a shot because I think he could eb the answer but I would understand Pop thinking he isn't ready and going with Mills.

Regarding Neal and De Colo, Neal should be traded and De Colo should be the third string SG. Neal is a good player but just doesn't fit with Spurs' roster. De Colo is more suited at SG and, to open a little more playing time for him, Pop should ban Bonner fron the rotation and have Jack/Kawhi playing his minutes at the PF spot.

Agree with everything.

td4mvp2k
01-12-2013, 11:47 AM
In Joseph's last three games he's had 7 turnovers and 13 assists. He's scoring a lot and his rebounding looks great though.Joseph will be a yr or so more.

Brazil
01-12-2013, 12:09 PM
The backup PG disaster is a mess right now. When is the last time a backup point guard put together two solid halves behind Parker?

TJ Ford tbh

Boomersgold
01-12-2013, 12:17 PM

When was the last time a backup point guard other than Neal was consistently given minutes behind Parker?

Kineto
01-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Why not a trade like this ? :
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ba9sauh
SA : Bargnani+Lowry
Toronto : Jackson+Bonner+(Neal and/or Joseph)

Toronto get rid of Bargnani's contract, and they play better with Caldernon than with Lowry.
SA get a very good backup PG, and Bargnani should be an upgrade to Bonner

Spur|n|Austin
01-12-2013, 01:55 PM

Prediction or wishful thinking? Either way, I like it.

JonNOKC
01-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Wonder if Danny Ferry would help us out

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=apuywa7

Since these guys are expiring anyway and we would be getting the more talented prices imagine we would have to include a pick or two or maybe Danny was involved in scouting one of our euro stash guys and would take rights to one to make this benefit ATL

One positive is both teams preserve their cap flexibility for coming summer

ace3g
01-12-2013, 09:56 PM
I had a random idea, Garrett Temple, but looks like he can't be traded till March 25.

Bruno
01-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Regardless on what people wish, it seems obvious that Pop has no intent in going away from Neal at backup PG.

Form an E-N article published a week ago:
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/01/04/spurs%E2%80%99-neal-plays-in-pain/

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he will continue to look for ways to get Neal on the floor behind Tony Parker at point guard and Danny Green and Manu Ginobili at shooting guard.

“We try to get (Neal) on the floor when we can,” Popovich said. “It’s been hard to get him as many minutes as he probably deserves.”

Pop will likely put Neal's recent poor play on his calf injury. While I think his injury doesn't help, Neal is also showing a lack of PG skills that can't be fixed by getting healthier.

Another hint that Pop will stick with Neal at backup PG is how he managed the situation when Neal was playing SG because of Kawhi and Leonard injuries. Pop rotated Mills, De Colo and a little of Joseph at backup PG. He showed no interest in picking one and working on developing him with consistent playing time. What the point in growing a backup PG when you're convinced you still have a good one in Neal?

BackHome
01-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Neal just sucks when he is being forced to play PG just like Bonner sucked when Pop had him playing Center. Why the hell do the Spurs continue to draft and put people in positions that they are not able to play?

Looking and at possible trades and I hope that RC is able to pull off something that will help us get further then a first round bounce. From watching Pop I think he is not happy with SJ and and if your not going to play him get something for him in a trade. So this year more then any other year i think the Spurs might do a big trade and who knows if what we get or who we loose?..I hope..Bonner,Neal,Sj/Blair - can get us a starting SF/PF and backup PG/SG.

biskvito
01-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Spurs is all about immediate results, they rather give time to a guy who can only shoot 3 and nothing else, than to have patience, give confidence and playing time for a guy that can also shoot but is a natural playmaker with vision and decent defense.

They should use Duncan last years to improve the new players and not the other way around, where new players are discarded and given zero tolerance treatment because they're not improving Duncan's last years.

look_at_g_shred
01-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Neal just sucks when he is being forced to play PG just like Bonner sucked when Pop had him playing Center. Why the hell do the Spurs continue to draft and put people in positions that they are not able to play?

Looking and at possible trades and I hope that RC is able to pull off something that will help us get further then a first round bounce. From watching Pop I think he is not happy with SJ and and if your not going to play him get something for him in a trade. So this year more then any other year i think the Spurs might do a big trade and who knows if what we get or who we loose?..I hope..Bonner,Neal,Sj/Blair - can get us a starting SF/PF and backup PG/SG.

Check this out http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cnd8kv8

TDMVPDPOY
01-13-2013, 11:13 AM
forcing and continue with the gary neal expirement hoping that it prove us all wrong that it works....is like that midget roster basketball his been trying to work out for 6 years like he has a point to prove that he can win with midget basketball b4 he decides to change the playstyle of the spurs.....

so what would it take for him to change or bring in someone?

silverblk mystix
01-13-2013, 04:30 PM
You guys (and Pop) are over thinking this shit;

Play your best players and keep playing them until they are comfortable to be who they have always been: players.

Mills is a fuckin' player and just give him the backup pg position now and live with his mistakes until he gets comfortable. DeColo should be 3rd string pg and Neal (who is also a player - should only play the 2 guard spot - and should play as much or more than Green)

Mills will pay dividends in the playoffs if he is given full confidence to play a regular rotation.

Same thing as when Tiago was a rookie. It was so simple to see that he was a player and needed court time to get comfortable and be a player in this league but genius Pop over-analyzed the shit and shit the bed the way he will shit the bed in this pg scenario.

Play your players and minimize the playing time of bench/scrubs/not ready for prime time/chokers (such as Bonner).

keywester
01-13-2013, 04:43 PM

Play your best players and keep playing them until they are comfortable to be who they have always been: players.

Mills is a fuckin' player and just give him the backup pg position now and live with his mistakes until he gets comfortable. DeColo should be 3rd string pg and Neal (who is also a player - should only play the 2 guard spot - and should play as much or more than Green)

Mills will pay dividends in the playoffs if he is given full confidence to play a regular rotation.

Same thing as when Tiago was a rookie. It was so simple to see that he was a player and needed court time to get comfortable and be a player in this league but genius Pop over-analyzed the shit and shit the bed the way he will shit the bed in this pg scenario.

Play your players and minimize the playing time of bench/scrubs/not ready for prime time/chokers (such as Bonner).

Well said!!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-13-2013, 06:34 PM

Before the season I thought it a fait accompli that Pop was going to give Mills the backup PG position and 30 games to prove whether he can handle it. He hasn't, and now he's in the guts of the season. Mistake.

TheSkeptic
01-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Before the season I thought it a fait accompli that Pop was going to give Mills the backup PG position and 30 games to prove whether he can handle it. He hasn't, and now he's in the guts of the season. Mistake.

Mills is not a bad player. He's actually pretty solid and I don't have a problem with him being on the roster. In fact, I wish he could get more minutes. But he's not a good point guard. That much was really clear in the chances he's had to play as one for us. He doesn't pass very well and he's just not much of a playmaker as far as distributing the ball goes. What he is, is a change of pace kind of guard who can bring energy and provide a boost with his shooting.

What the Spurs are looking for right now is a guy who can distribute the ball, get the team into its sets, and by extension relieve Manu of some of the playmaking responsibilities of the second unit. Minus Neal, out of the 3 guards we have left (Joseph, De Colo, and Mills) De Colo and Joseph are pretty much the only 2 true points. Unless Mills suddenly learns how to balance his own scoring versus setting up his team, having him run the point would just be more of the same problems we're all complaining about now with Neal. Albeit with better ball-handling.

It would backfire spectacularly in the playoffs unless he was hot the whole time. Kind of like what's going to happen if Neal keeps backing up TP.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Mills is not a bad player. He's actually pretty solid and I don't have a problem with him being on the roster. In fact, I wish he could get more minutes. But he's not a good point guard. That much was really clear in the chances he's had to play as one for us. He doesn't pass very well and he's just not much of a playmaker as far as distributing the ball goes. What he is, is a change of pace kind of guard who can bring energy and provide a boost with his shooting.

What the Spurs are looking for right now is a guy who can distribute the ball, get the team into its sets, and by extension relieve Manu of some of the playmaking responsibilities of the second unit. Minus Neal, out of the 3 guards we have left (Joseph, De Colo, and Mills) De Colo and Joseph are pretty much the only 2 true points. Unless Mills suddenly learns how to balance his own scoring versus setting up his team, having him run the point would just be more of the same problems we're all complaining about now with Neal. Albeit with better ball-handling.

It would backfire spectacularly in the playoffs unless he was hot the whole time. Kind of like what's going to happen if Neal keeps backing up TP.

I've seen him balance his scoring instincts with setting up teammates, but you are right that he doesn't do it instinctively, only in patches. I was hoping that 20-30 games of constant minutes would help him find that balance, but maybe it's a case of tiger can't change its stripes.

SPIDER2311
01-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Thought Patty did a good job tonight. yeas his shot was off, but I was impressed with his ball handling under some pressure. He looked to pass the ball and really competed on the defence. He dosent seem to be totally out of control, which he seemed to be early in the season. Seems to be cool under pressure.
It also allows Gary to be free of the pressure of running the team. See what happens when Gary is free!
I thought Patty took a huge stride foward in becoming the backup PG for the team

mattj1x
01-13-2013, 10:01 PM
I thought Patty took a huge stride foward in becoming the backup PG for the team

He's pretty good in the fast break, either leading it or launching himself out of a cannon in anticipation for an outlet pass. Definitely making himself known as a energy/instant offence/defensive pest kind of player.

Hopefully he can improve when it's a halfcourt grindfest, that's where he struggles unless he's getting good looks from coming around off ball screens.

TheSkeptic
01-13-2013, 10:16 PM
I've seen him balance his scoring instincts with setting up teammates, but you are right that he doesn't do it instinctively, only in patches. I was hoping that 20-30 games of constant minutes would help him find that balance, but maybe it's a case of tiger can't change its stripes.

Well I like him as a player (and he's on my favourite team) so I honestly do hope he figures it out. My feeling though is that he'd have to beat out Neal to get minutes since the two of them are essentially best in the same role. With Manu out I think we'll see him play more though for obvious reasons.

superbigtime
01-14-2013, 03:06 PM
de Colo has next to zero scoring ability. Doesn't penetrate. Shoots some 3s reluctantly in garbage time. If he can't make teams respect his offense who gives a crap about his two nice passes a game. Why aren't people howling to trade him? He turns it over quite a bit, as does Neal, but at least Neal scores.

TrainOfThought5
01-16-2013, 12:49 AM
i was assuming that with the 158 point guards we had on the roster to start the season that Pop wouldve picked one and let them develop. instead hes chosen Neal.

smdh.

TDMVPDPOY
01-16-2013, 01:21 AM
cant wait for the spurs to waste more draft picks looking for a backup pg in the future....

Boomersgold
01-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Who do you guys want Pop to play as the backup point guard against the Grizzlies tonight? Patty, Neal, De Colo or Joseph (who has since been recalled)?

silverblackfan
01-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Patty in the 4th. I think his energy is an excellent strategy against teams that are getting tired. Some of CoJo in the 1st half just to see how he handles the defense and set plays. Sprinkle in some De Colo minutes and keep Neal at SG.

Mel_13
01-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Who do you guys want Pop to play as the backup point guard against the Grizzlies tonight? Patty, Neal, De Colo or Joseph (who has since been recalled)?

Joseph. Against Memphis and everyone else for a good ten games.

We've already seen the flaws in employing the other three at PG. Let's get a good look at Joseph and see if he can handle the job, or at least exhibits fewer flaws.

ace3g
01-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Hopefully Neal only gets back up SG minutes tonight, with Cojo (defense) and Patty (energy) at PG. The key for Joseph is to play good defense and run the offense. An issue lately is that our "back up" only role is to bring the ball up court and then hand off to someone else. I would like for him to get around 15-20 min tonight.

dan mccarney ‏@danmccarneysaen (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen) Media isn't the only victim of CIA Pop. Gary Neal says the coach has given no indication how minutes will be distributed in Manu's absence.

Boomersgold
01-18-2013, 11:05 PM
P. Mills (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/patrick_mills/index.html) #8

Mins
05:59

Fg M-A
0-2

3P M-A
0-1

FTM-A
0-0

+/-

OFF

DEF

TOT

AST

PF

ST

TO

BS

BA

PTS

N. De Colo (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nando_de_colo/index.html) #25

MINS
04:21

FG M-A
0-0

3PM-A
0-0

FTM-A
0-0

+/-

OFF

DEF

TOT

AST

PF

ST

TO

BS

BA

PTS

TrainOfThought5
01-18-2013, 11:12 PM
P. Mills (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/patrick_mills/index.html) #8

Mins
05:59
Fg M-A
0-2
3P M-A
0-1
FTM-A
0-0
+/-
OFF
DEF
TOT
AST
PF
ST
TO
BS
BA
PTS

N. De Colo (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/nando_de_colo/index.html) #25

MINS
04:21
FG M-A
0-0
3PM-A
0-0
FTM-A
0-0
+/-
OFF
DEF
TOT
AST
PF
ST
TO
BS
BA
PTS

Jesus thats a horrible statline from Mills.

Boomersgold
01-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Jesus thats a horrible statline from Mills.

De Colo wasn't that spectacular either. :lol

TrainOfThought5
01-18-2013, 11:19 PM
De Colo wasn't that spectacular either. :lol

My expectations for Mills are much higher than De Colo's, tbh.

TDMVPDPOY
01-18-2013, 11:19 PM
de colo gave up the lead tonight when he came on...didnt help when u have that other hero alongside bricking houses out of the rhythm of the game

Boomersgold
01-18-2013, 11:22 PM
de colo gave up the lead tonight when he came on...didnt help when u have that other hero alongside bricking houses out of the rhythm of the game

Well, at least Neal's bricking shots as a shooting guard. If he were to regain the backup pg spot, there'd be zero ball movement when he's on the floor.

Chinook
01-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Check this out http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cnd8kv8

Surprisingly enough, that's not a terrible trade for any team. It really should be (because the Spurs make off like bandits), but it's not. The Wolves a pretty desperate for players right now, and the Bucks are desperate to make a playoff push and may think Kirilenko helps them get there. The there were some way to switch out Dalembert for Gooden, I think it would be a go from Milwaukee's end. The Wolves would have to be crazy but ... Khan. And the Spurs would have to feel comfortable that someone could play the three behind Kawhi. Too bad Gelabale's no longer available.

Dr. Robert Lee
01-19-2013, 03:13 AM
Well, at least Neal's bricking shots as a shooting guard. If he were to regain the backup pg spot, there'd be zero ball movement when he's on the floor.
Damn straight. All he does is jack up shots like he's going out of style. Meanwhile, the dude is shooting career lows from the field and from the arc, yet he keeps on jacking up heroes like it's the last shot of his life.