PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Doctors to Build Surgical Center, Clinic for Athletes

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 11:12 PM
Doctors to Build Surgical Center, Clinic for Athletes

Jul. 1--A team of doctors led by Spurs team physicians David Schmidt and Paul Saenz are building a $15 million surgical center and clinic for athletes next to the Spurs practice facility.

The Texas Center for Athletes will start as a three-story, 100,000-square-foot surgery, imaging and rehabilitation center and doctors' office.

Schmidt expects the center will draw professional athletes from around the country as well as injured amateur athletes in South Texas.

He said enough doctors want to locate in the center that they may add a fourth floor to the building before it is slated for opening in August 2006.

Spurs Chairman Peter Holt lauded the center.

"I believe, as does the Spurs organization, that this is the best group of sports doctors today -- not only in Texas, but in the United States as well," Holt said.

Boxer James Leija and former Spur Sean Elliott, who have been patients of the physician group, were on hand for the announcement.

Schmidt said the draw will be a group of doctors who all share a passion for taking care of all athletes.

"I'm just as happy taking care of a running back from Carrizo Springs or a basketball player from Bandera as I am a professional athlete," he said.

Schmidt said the group has purchased additional acreage near the development at Floyd Curl Road and Spurs Drive for future growth including working with University of Texas on a Texas Sports Science Institute and a health and fitness club.

http://www.rednova.com/news/health/159681/doctors_to_build_surgical_center_clinic_for_athlet es/