PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Recall Cory Joseph

td4mvp2k
01-14-2013, 04:05 PM
The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have recalled guard Cory Joseph from the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League.

NBA.com

spurraider21
01-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Unless pop gives him some serious burn as backup pg to try him out, these moves are no longer attention worthy

Mel_13
01-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Makes sense, and not just because of the Manu injury. The Toros have only two games scheduled between now and Jan 25th. The Spurs have 5 games in the same time frame.

timvp
01-14-2013, 04:40 PM
I hope that Joseph gets a shot at backup point guard. With Neal at SG now, Mills truthfully more of a SG and De Colo not getting any legit minutes recently, CJ may actually get that chance.

George Gervin's Afro
01-14-2013, 04:50 PM
how many times can he be called up before we cannot anymore? I seem to recall that there is a set number of times someone can be sent down before being released unconditionally.

Mel_13
01-14-2013, 04:53 PM
how many times can he be called up before we cannot anymore? I seem to recall that there is a set number of times someone can be sent down before being released unconditionally.

No limit for Joseph:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q78

timtonymanu
01-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Definitely would love to see him get the backup PG role.

jermaine
01-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Unless pop gives him some serious burn as backup pg to try him out, these moves are no longer attention worthy
I mean seriously. Doesn't this shit get old. As a player do you just say im tired of this shit. They owe the dam team so they know what he has to offer by now. Against d-leaguers he just put up 26pts the other day. But hes not NBA ready. They why keep calling him up. Thats slowing down his growth isn't it? I mean just to come sit on the bench vs playing major time in the D-league.

keywester
01-14-2013, 05:03 PM
I hope that Joseph gets a shot at backup point guard. With Neal at SG now, Mills truthfully more of a SG and De Colo not getting any legit minutes recently, CJ may actually get that chance.

Maybe Cojo may get a chance but, I doubt it. Based on Pop's cyrptic praise of Mills after that last night's game, I would say that Pop has finally realized that Mills compensates for his lack of NBA prototype size through his quickness. It was the same story at PDX where Mills won the back up slot over from an NBA body type through his sheer speed and understanding of the game.

Give Mills some real burn and I bet we will all be happy. :elephant

Chinook
01-14-2013, 05:03 PM
I think a Joseph/De Colo back court has a lot of potential. Cory is big enough to defend the best guard while Nando can defend the other. Maybe between them, they can provide some consistency in running the offense.

With Neal's increase play-making ability, he too would be a nice complement to Joseph.

jermaine
01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
I think if he's given the green light to shoot, he'd be great. Most times he plays not to fail an like he's being watched like a hawk. Pop will either make or break someone's confidence.

Jumi
01-14-2013, 05:37 PM
I have no reason to believe Pop is gonna play CJ! That's just the Spurs Way!!

DapDaGenius
01-14-2013, 05:41 PM
I hope he can finally earn the back PG spot. I like his defense.

Paranoid Pop
01-14-2013, 05:45 PM
I think a Joseph/De Colo back court has a lot of potential. Cory is big enough to defend the best guard while Nando can defend the other. Maybe between them, they can provide some consistency in running the offense.

With Neal's increase play-making ability, he too would be a nice complement to Joseph.

I like the idea, some would say it doesn't give you good enough shooting but I like it.

Chinook
01-14-2013, 05:54 PM
I like the idea, some would say it doesn't give you good enough shooting but I like it.

I think they're each getting better at that. Joseph in particular is really coming on as a scorer. With Diaw, Jack and Splitter/Baynes on the floor, good shooting will be at a premium, though. Hopefully someone steps up, or they can just sub in Mills and/or Neal as necessary. De Colo can steal a few minutes at the three from time to time.

playblair
01-14-2013, 06:01 PM
great to see the haters finally come around ....... cojo is avery bradley level ........

spurraider21
01-14-2013, 06:06 PM
in the d-league he's averaging 20.7 points, 5.9 rebounds, 4.6 assists per game and 2.7 turnovers per game while shooting 46% from the field and 44% from 3. the assist/turnover ratio bothers me a bit, but the scoring and outside shooting numbers are certainly encouraging and shows he can definitely be a creator, and with better weapons to pass to, im hoping the assists would translate well too

Mel_13
01-14-2013, 06:06 PM
great to see the haters finally come around ....... cojo is avery bradley level ........

:lol

There's a big difference between wanting to see Joseph get a shot at the backup PG minutes, given the limitations of the other options, and equating him with Bradley.

Cane
01-14-2013, 06:11 PM

I was hoping he'd be a poor man's Mike Conley

crc21209
01-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Not surprised with this move now that Manu's gonna be a couple weeks. Good move to have an extra body to throw out there...:tu

Bruno
01-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Nice. :tu

Free Cory.

AFBlue
01-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Man, I hope he's as good at towel-waving as Mills, because it'll be needed now.

maverick1948
01-14-2013, 08:49 PM
I dont know where CJ stands as to Avery Bradley, but until Bradley proves something on the court, he is a just a paper player. He has not shown anything on the court. CJ has been playing in the Dleague. The key word is playing. In 3 years, Bradley has played in 101 games of 184 games. His stats do not impress me. If CJ gets burn this time, he may end up being the backup PG. But I feel he is biding his time at Austin till Manu retires. During this time Manu is out, I hope he is given the chance to at least show he is the PG of the future.

BackHome
01-15-2013, 07:42 PM
That is the question do the Spurs see him as a PG or SG? I have watched some games and sometimes he is playing SG and to me I don't understand that other then them wanting him to shoot more?

timvp
01-15-2013, 07:49 PM
I dont know where CJ stands as to Avery Bradley, but until Bradley proves something on the court, he is a just a paper player. He has not shown anything on the court. CJ has been playing in the Dleague. The key word is playing. In 3 years, Bradley has played in 101 games of 184 games. His stats do not impress me. If CJ gets burn this time, he may end up being the backup PG. But I feel he is biding his time at Austin till Manu retires. During this time Manu is out, I hope he is given the chance to at least show he is the PG of the future.

Avery Bradley is the best defensive guard in the NBA.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Patty has improved a s ball handler but he's not there yet. That being said if you overplay and miss on the ball pressure he is gone in a flash. I like this move. CoJo if nothing else could help defensively. Too bad Manu is out because I could see that being an effective pairing on the second team.

maverick1948
01-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Avery Bradley is the best defensive guard in the NBA.

On paper maybe he is, but on the court less than 60% of the games he has been on the team. Like I said until Bradley shows it on the court, he has not impressed me. He may have impressed you but averaging 16 mins a game does not make him the best defensive guard in the NBA.

Seventyniner
01-15-2013, 09:37 PM
On paper maybe he is, but on the court less than 60% of the games he has been on the team. Like I said until Bradley shows it on the court, he has not impressed me. He may have impressed you but averaging 16 mins a game does not make him the best defensive guard in the NBA.

You probably think Manu is an average player, too.

Ice009
01-15-2013, 10:56 PM

lol You've got Bruce Bowen in your avatar, you're talking about stats and defense?

How about watching Avery Bradley play, and watch his defense in particular. I have no idea how you could dismiss him based on stats, while having a picture of BB in your avatar.

dunkman
01-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Pop has made a complete mess of the backup PG situation, and this time he can't blame the FO. Between Neal, De Colo, Mills and Cory, one of them has to be up to the task.

maverick1948
01-16-2013, 12:09 AM
lol You've got Bruce Bowen in your avatar, you're talking about stats and defense?

How about watching Avery Bradley play, and watch his defense in particular. I have no idea how you could dismiss him based on stats, while having a picture of BB in your avatar.

I would to watch him play. That is his problem. He has played 55% of the games since he came to the NBA. Averages a whooping 16.6 m. If he is so damn good why is he on the bench? He is not Bruce Bowen and will never be. Bradley also plays for a team that is defensive minded in Boston. What do you base you statement on? How can he be the best defensive Guard in the NBA? When has he shown it on the floor?

dunkman
01-16-2013, 02:45 AM
I would to watch him play. That is his problem. He has played 55% of the games since he came to the NBA. Averages a whooping 16.6 m. If he is so damn good why is he on the bench? He is not Bruce Bowen and will never be. Bradley also plays for a team that is defensive minded in Boston. What do you base you statement on? How can he be the best defensive Guard in the NBA? When has he shown it on the floor?

Neither Bowen played much at the start of his career. Bradley had to prove himself in his first season, which he did. In his second season, he sidelines Ray Allen who's well above average SG and now that he's returned from his injury, the C's started winning games. Too bad he didn't play the playoffs last season, the C's would have made the finals at least.

Bruno
01-16-2013, 03:00 AM
What should help Joseph getting a shot at the backup PG slot is that Spurs have a true issue defensively at the backup PG slot.

When Parker is on the court, the opposite PG scores 19 points per 48 minutes with a PER of 13.0.
When Parker is on the court, the opposite PG scores 25.5 points per 48 minutes with a PER of 19.2.

And these horrible stats without Parker are most of the time against a backup PG that isn't as good as the starting PG Parker is most of the time facing.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-16-2013, 08:46 AM

Remind us, where did Bruce Bowen play when he was 20-22 years old?

superbigtime
01-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Pop has made a complete mess of the backup PG situation, and this time he can't blame the FO. Between Neal, De Colo, Mills and Cory, one of them has to be up to the task.

Neal - no. Not his position. Well documented weaknesses with ball handling, passing, decision making.
De Colo - no. Some nice passing, but error prone. Known non-scoring threat. Not a keeper.
Mills - not a PG. Can play the position some, but not for sustained periods. Rather have Neal.
Cojo - has to be. Kind of scary to trust him though.

Ice009
01-16-2013, 07:12 PM
What should help Joseph getting a shot at the backup PG slot is that Spurs have a true issue defensively at the backup PG slot.

When Parker is on the court, the opposite PG scores 19 points per 48 minutes with a PER of 13.0.
When Parker is on the court, the opposite PG scores 25.5 points per 48 minutes with a PER of 19.2.

And these horrible stats without Parker are most of the time against a backup PG that isn't as good as the starting PG Parker is most of the time facing.

That tells me all I need to know. I wanted Cory to get a chance earlier in the season because of his defense, Spurs really need better defense at the PG position. I have no idea why he hasn't gotten a chance yet. Some of the fastest and most dangerous players play PG in the NBA. Spurs said that they wanted to improve their defense this season, so why has Cory not been given a legit chance?

Libri
01-16-2013, 07:23 PM
:tu

ace3g
01-23-2013, 01:06 PM
dan mccarney ‏@danmccarneysaen (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen) Cory Joseph re-assigned to the Toros (again)

timvp
01-23-2013, 01:07 PM
dan mccarney ‏@danmccarneysaen (https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen) Cory Joseph re-assigned to the Toros (again)

Baynes announcement in 3 ... 2 ...

bklynspursfan
01-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Pounding the Rock ‏@poundingtherock (https://twitter.com/poundingtherock)
Spurs will have 11 guys tonight, unless another player joins...

playblair
01-23-2013, 03:12 PM
who makes these calls ....... why keep sending an avery bradley type player to d league .........

LittleCriminal
01-23-2013, 03:16 PM
who makes these calls ....... why keep sending an avery bradley type player to d league .........

The Same people who have Lamont still on the dam roster.

Bruno
01-23-2013, 04:12 PM
The timing of Joseph being send down is interesting.

Toros next game is Friday in Austin so Spurs could have send him down to Austin after today's game. So Spurs rather have Joseph practicing with the Toros than sitting at the end of the bench with Spurs and playing some potential garbage time. If you combine that with the Dentmon trade, it sounds a lot like Spurs will send down Joseph to Austin of an extended period of time and gives him a lot of responsibility with them.

I'm not sure what are the reasons of that change. The Baynes signing should be a factor since it will make it more difficult for Joseph to make the 13 players active roster but I don't think it's the only factor.

Strategic
01-23-2013, 04:39 PM
The Spurs have been using nine and ten man rotations of late. This game should be Parker, Splitter and role players. Besides, Joseph may of turned the wrong way in practice and caught Pop's ire. Get ready gang, here comes Bonner and Blair! Spurs can do this thing.

:convertib

ChumpDumper
01-23-2013, 04:50 PM
The timing of Joseph being send down is interesting.

Toros next game is Friday in Austin so Spurs could have send him down to Austin after today's game. So Spurs rather have Joseph practicing with the Toros than sitting at the end of the bench with Spurs and playing some potential garbage time. If you combine that with the Dentmon trade, it sounds a lot like Spurs will send down Joseph to Austin of an extended period of time and gives him a lot of responsibility with them.

I'm not sure what are the reasons of that change. The Baynes signing should be a factor since it will make it more difficult for Joseph to make the 13 players active roster but I don't think it's the only factor.Showcasing Joseph for Portland Friday. :downspin:

ace3g
01-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Paul Garcia PS ‏@24writer (https://twitter.com/24writer) Just got in the building, #Spurs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs&src=hash) have recalled Cory Joseph after sending him back to Austin earlier today. #Toros (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Toros&src=hash)

confusing tweet, but sounds like he got recalled again, lol

timvp
01-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Paul Garcia PS ‏@24writer (https://twitter.com/24writer) Just got in the building, #Spurs (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Spurs&src=hash) have recalled Cory Joseph after sending him back to Austin earlier today. #Toros (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Toros&src=hash)

confusing tweet, but sounds like he got recalled again, lol

Ha, they sent him down so he could practice with the Toros. The Toros must have held a practice this afternoon in the practice facility.

crc21209
01-23-2013, 06:46 PM
:lol Straight CIA Spurs move...

lurker23
01-23-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm sure this is EXACTLY what the NBA had in mind when it changed to "unlimited" call-ups/send-downs. :lol

Gagnrath
01-23-2013, 08:06 PM
I'm sure this is EXACTLY what the NBA had in mind when it changed to "unlimited" call-ups/send-downs. :lol

Sure must have been otherwise why would the spurs have their farm team an hour and a half away if not to get their younger players extra system practice in when the vets had the day off?

Sure Corey doesn't love the long commute but it isn't a bad thing really, hopefully his house is on the north side of town.

Bruno
01-24-2013, 09:19 PM

Well, they have re-sent him to Austin today:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/130124_spurs_reassign_joseph_to_austin_toros

Assigned, called up and re-assigned in 24 hours. :lol

Chinook
01-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Well, they have re-sent him to Austin today:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/130124_spurs_reassign_joseph_to_austin_toros

Assigned, called up and re-assigned in 24 hours. :lol

Okay, that has to be getting annoying for him. The least they could have done is let him get some minutes. Having Bud coach a game would have been a perfect excuse to put him in.

boutons_deux
01-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Okay, that has to be getting annoying for him. The least they could have done is let him get some minutes. Having Bud coach a game would have been a perfect excuse to put him in.

I'd say his only consolation is that Spurs haven't forgotten about him, left him dumped in Austin.