PDA

View Full Version : Are there any recent horror movies that DON'T suck?

DarrinS
01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
I like a good horror flick now and then -- problem is, there are so many crappy ones.

Anybody seen any good ones lately?

Drachen
01-14-2013, 07:12 PM
I watched the exorcist and several of the slasher flicks of the day before my 6th birthday. I am completely desensitized to the horror genre (my wife won't watch anything with me because I laugh too much at it). Suspense on the other hand is far more fun. With that in mind the only recent movie that I liked therein was Insidious.

clambake
01-14-2013, 07:19 PM
there's this movie where a white guy talks to women about black cocks.........

wait a minute.......that was a thread from wc.

nevermind.

Technique
01-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Sinister was a great movie.

DarrinS
01-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Sinister was a great movie.

I saw this at the theater. Movie would've been better without the last couple of minutes.

GoodOdor
01-14-2013, 08:44 PM
The remake of the thing was decent.

Reck
01-14-2013, 08:55 PM
I keep to foreign horror films. They have a pretty good understanding on how to make a decent movie. Something Hollywood never will be good at again.

AussieFanKurt
01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
I keep to foreign horror films. They have a pretty good understanding on how to make a decent movie. Something Hollywood never will be good at again.

correct, can't remember the last good horror from hollywood.

euro and the east do it well

DarrinS
01-14-2013, 09:46 PM
correct, can't remember the last good horror from hollywood.

euro and the east do it well

A lot of American horror films are just foreign remakes -- The Ring, Quarantine, etc

Drachen
01-14-2013, 10:04 PM
A lot of American horror films are just foreign remakes -- The Ring, Quarantine, etc

God the ring was just horrible. I saw that piece of shit in the theater and at the end there was a guy in the back who yelled "RREEEEEEFUUUUUUUND" and I responded with a "hell yeah". I watched the Japanese version and, if you can believe it, it was worse. Nothing ever happened.

DarrinS
01-14-2013, 10:13 PM
God the ring was just horrible. I saw that piece of shit in the theater and at the end there was a guy in the back who yelled "RREEEEEEFUUUUUUUND" and I responded with a "hell yeah". I watched the Japanese version and, if you can believe it, it was worse. Nothing ever happened.

Yeah, that one sucked

DarrinS
01-14-2013, 10:16 PM
The remake of the thing was decent.

Original was awesome as well.

vander
01-14-2013, 10:53 PM
yeah, I wouldn't mind finding a scary movie worth watching, but seems it has been ages since a good one has even been attempted.

agree about The Ring being shit, Ringu pretty much represents when I realized no one was trying to make good horror movies anymore. there was the American version, which people were saying good things about, and then there was the original winch the purists were raving about. "finally a real horror movie" etc. well they both sucked and I haven't even bothered with horror movies since.

IMO horror requires firm grounding in reality at first, slow buildup, mystery, characters that don't behave like idiots. as I jog my memory only good horror movie I can recall is Event Horizon.

DarrinS
01-14-2013, 11:26 PM
IMO horror requires firm grounding in reality at first, slow buildup, mystery, characters that don't behave like idiots. as I jog my memory only good horror movie I can recall is Event Horizon.

The problem is, the makers of these movies are so caught up in special effects, gore, CGI, etc. that they neglect the story.

thunderup
01-14-2013, 11:30 PM
There have been maybe 2-3 horror films in the last couple of years that range from decent to great.

Chris
01-15-2013, 01:12 AM
Insidious was alright and it's on Netflix
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1591095/

Latarian Milton
01-15-2013, 01:13 AM
just because you didn't shit your pants watching those movies it doesn't mean they not good imho

redzero
01-15-2013, 01:18 AM
The Cabin In The Woods is good, but it isn't scary at all. It's a parody of Horror movies.

Drew2354
01-15-2013, 03:44 AM
Strangers was not bad either.

IronMaxipad
01-15-2013, 04:45 AM
Cabin in the Woods
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
House of the Devil
Drag Me to Hell

redzero
01-15-2013, 06:30 AM
^ House of the Devil in a nutshell:

-talking
-girl wanders around
-more talking
-girl continues to wander around
-some other girl is shot
-girl wanders around some more
-Rosemary's Baby ripoff climax

That's it.

lefty
01-15-2013, 09:26 AM
today's horror movies are all overmarketed shit

The 80's, sons, the golden age of the genre

JudynTX
01-15-2013, 02:08 PM
The previews for Mama looked pretty scary.

silverblk mystix
01-15-2013, 06:44 PM
That bedroom scene with Tommy Lee Jones and Meryl Streep in "Hope Springs" was the scariest shit I've seen in decades....I haven't slept well since then....whew...chilling!

Scarred for life- no joke.

CubanSucks
01-15-2013, 07:04 PM
today's horror movies are all overmarketed shit

The 80's, sons, the golden age of the genre

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzvvuyiDNn1qe2fnco1_500.gif

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/Janos_Audren/GIFs/MacreadyFlame.gif

you rang?

SA210
01-15-2013, 09:38 PM
There's no such thing as horror films anymore. That day died a long time ago. All you have now is some over marketed cartoon cgi horribly scripted crap full of camera tricks and overdone music that doesn't actually trick or frighten a damn thing. It's pathetic. I have 2 strong horror films I've written, I hope to get to them sometime, but I'm working on a drama right now that's much more important to me and more feasible right now. But damn, when I get to my horror scripts I think I have something pretty special.

Death In June
06-21-2013, 04:45 PM
I've been looking for some good recent horror stuff and haven't been able to find much, outside of Insidious, Cabin in the Woods, Sinister, V/H/S, and The Orphanage.

ohmwrecker
06-21-2013, 05:04 PM
I am trying to talk myself into watching Antichrist, but I haven't been able to commit to it yet.

IronMaxipad
06-21-2013, 05:19 PM
I've been looking for some good recent horror stuff and haven't been able to find much, outside of Insidious, Cabin in the Woods, Sinister, V/H/S, and The Orphanage.
If you liked V/H/S watch the second one it's even better.

InK
06-22-2013, 11:29 AM
I am trying to talk myself into watching Antichrist, but I haven't been able to commit to it yet.

That's more of a mystery/drama, i kinda liked it, but its one of those movies that's better to watch in the cinema, where u got no option but to pay attention.

InK
06-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Martyrs is a good movie if u haven't watched it yet.(2009 though)

Suspect
06-22-2013, 02:27 PM
VHS 2 has been getting ok reviews even though I think it's worse than the first one

Relevancy
06-22-2013, 05:15 PM
VHS 2 has been getting ok reviews even though I think it's worse than the first oneV/H/S 2 was good, OP I recommend you to watch the V/H/S movies, I'm highly intrigued in what they come up with next

jeebus
06-22-2013, 05:30 PM
I saw 2 previews for horror movies coming out soon. One was about a guy wearing an oversized cat head running around killing people. everyone in the audience was laughing. the other was where some lady was playing marco polo with some kids, except they used clapping around the house. cliché ghost/thing appears and claps as well. it was fucking stupid. gotta find titles...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1457767/ (clapping movie)

and

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1853739/ (cat movie)

fucking. stupid.

CitizenDwayne
06-22-2013, 07:17 PM
The fact that VHS 2 is considered to be one of the best recent horror films just shows how fucked the horror genre is.

Rogue
06-22-2013, 08:00 PM
8-legged freak doesn't suck. it's an old movie but I only recently watched it, not a strictly defined horror movie but something between a horror movie and a comedy it seems to me. the black dahlia and the prestige are also good movies, though neither fits the exact definition of horror movie. in fact I never fancy such films which aim to make people wet their eyes or shit their pants. movies like monster's ball, Lost in translation and bobby long are the type of movies I like best

CitizenDwayne
06-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Black Dahlia and Prestige are not even close to being horror films.

Oh, Gee!!
06-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Mama was good. it had a cohorent story and didnt rely too heavily on cheap gags to get scares. 8mm wasnt a jorror story but it gave me the chills like no other movie had before the exorcist. for the most part youre right- horror movies are just awful

The Reckoning
06-23-2013, 10:18 AM
horror is a dead genre. filmmakers are so spoiled with cgi and shit today that they forgot how to add the element of unknown and to time scares/gore perfectly. it's dead. it's loooong gone.

Thread
06-25-2013, 12:24 PM
This is not recent, but, it is genuinely superb, the original "When a Stranger Calls" from the mid-70's. Carol Kane plays the babysitter here and she's fine. This is not slasher stuff, but, an intense study of a psychotic & the private detective who at first wants to stop him, then is driven to exterminate him. Charles Durning, terribly obese, is not your standard detective, but, he's something else here. His litany to the police detective is mesmerizing as he explains he'll use "lock picks" to assassinate him. The police detective (Ron O'Neal) understands the end justify the means (he's witnessed the original murder scene), "Take your time, do it good."

The psycho is given screen time and does not waste it, no mask, no hood, just watery eyes & a lust for God-less mayhem. There is a scene here when he is talking (we're not shown this scene, just a tape recording of it) to the prison psychiatrist after he's been arrested for murdering the 2 children, the murder weapon? He ripped them apart with "his bare hands." This tape recording is an affective tool for what has transpired & what will.

Colleen Dewhurst, a fine actress plays a key part as a middle age bar floozy, hanging on to a shred of her life, who gets much too close to the killer.

This is frightening stuff--on an adult level thru & thru.

Joyrider
06-29-2013, 09:41 PM
The horror genre is thriving right now, tbh. Don't let VHS2 and Mama tell you otherwise. Just check out some of these new flicks.

CiULAdLufJs

The south Texas premiere will be at Alamo Drafthouse Westlakes, Thursday August 8th actually. I've heard nothing but great reviews as well.

52KBSIfhGHA

OJVdqZww9aE