PDA

View Full Version : Mavs: Owner: 'Bank of Cuban' is open

teddygreen
01-15-2013, 01:56 AM
DALLAS -- Memo to the rest of the NBA: Dallas Mavericks (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/dal/dallas-mavericks) owner Mark Cuban is in "Let's Make a Deal" mode."We're letting everybody know that the "Bank of Cuban" is open," Cuban said Monday night, a couple of days after declaring that there was a "100 percent chance" the Mavs would aggressively pursue trade opportunities before the Feb. 21 deadline.

If it's the right deal, we don't mind taking back money. But we're not going to do a trade just to do a trade. It's got to be worthwhile."

The Mavs have the ability to take back significantly more salary in trades because they are under the salary cap. Cuban has continually insisted that is a primary reason he opted for financial flexibility instead of re-signing several key contributors to the Mavs' 2010-11 title team, not just because they wanted to have enough salary cap space to sign a superstar in free agency.

As Mavs star Dirk Nowitzki (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/609/dirk-nowitzki) recently lamented, the Mavs missed out on Deron Williams (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2798/deron-williams) last summer and would be a long shot to land a legitimate superstar this offseason, with Clippers point guard Chris Paul (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2779/chris-paul) and Lakers center Dwight Howard (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2384/dwight-howard) expected to stay with their respective teams in Los Angeles.As a result, the 16-23 Mavs' best chance to make major roster upgrades is probably in the trade market. And Cuban has made it clear that he intends to explore every trade possibility, saying he's poring over rosters and making suggestions to Dallas president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson on a daily basis.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/8845345/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-says-bank-cuban-open

Latarian Milton
01-15-2013, 02:21 AM
and rumors say memphis have been looking to dump the salary of either rudy gay or randolph. a deal can be easily made between these two teams imho

TDMVPDPOY
01-15-2013, 02:23 AM
missin out on deron was a good choice...

that clown no matter what team he plays, will not always bring it...

jermaine
01-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Fire sale in Dallas. Po Marion, he really felt he had a home.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-15-2013, 09:44 AM
And Cuban has made it clear that he intends to explore every trade possibility, saying he's poring over rosters and making suggestions to Dallas president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson on a daily basis.

He's playing with the trade machine daily :lol Poor Donnie Nelson probably feels like a BNSF on a trade suggestion thread started by a GNSF. :lol

Drachen
01-15-2013, 09:53 AM
They would be scary with someone like Zbo. You have that inside presence to go along with dirk's outside shooting.

Mel_13
01-15-2013, 10:58 AM
lol @ Cuban trying to play this as if this was his plan all along. He turned a championship team into a lottery team in two offseasons to chase free agents that never came. Now, with the failure of that plan obvious if not admitted, he will return to doing business the way he did for nearly a decade. A way that made them perennial contenders and led to a championship in 2011.

They'll acquire a big contract or two by taking on extra salary, as they did numerous times in the past. There will plenty around here that give him kudos for improving the team (sadly, most will be Spurs fans) while overlooking how far the team had fallen before these moves were made. In the end, two chances at a title were pissed away while Dirk got two years older and it's doubtful that the team that results will be as good as the team they could have chosen to keep together.

One positive note. If the Mavs make a big enough move in time, the Lakers will have to keep one eye on their rear view mirror as they try to pick off the teams in front of them to chase down a playoff berth. The Mavs are only one game behind the Lakers as it is. With a healthy Dirk and a big trade they could easily make a move up the standings.

Findog
01-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Honestly, the only mistake in my mind that they made was not resigning Chandler. I wouldn't call him a #1 guy, but the dude is a foundational piece and you don't let those guys get away. And 4/58 was more than reasonable for a 28 year old. I have no problem with them letting JJB, Stevenson and Butler walk because of how much they would cost. And of course sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make, like losing out on Deron Williams.

Riddler
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
I feel bad for Dirk.

Findog
01-15-2013, 01:48 PM
I feel bad for Dirk.

Why? He's a millionaire athlete with a championship and a hot wife.

stretch
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Honestly, the only mistake in my mind that they made was not resigning Chandler. I wouldn't call him a #1 guy, but the dude is a foundational piece and you don't let those guys get away. And 4/58 was more than reasonable for a 28 year old. I have no problem with them letting JJB, Stevenson and Butler walk because of how much they would cost. And of course sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make, like losing out on Deron Williams.

This. And he would have perhaps given them a better chance at landing Howard through a trade.

Riddler
01-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Why? He's a millionaire athlete with a championship and a hot wife.

For being handcuffed to a dumbass like Cuban

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-15-2013, 02:15 PM
The league's just more fun when Cuban's in big spender mode. And I know the Lakers can offer him the most money but is it really such a sure thing that Howard's staying a Laker?

Mel_13
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Honestly, the only mistake in my mind that they made was not resigning Chandler.

That was no ordinary mistake. It transformed the Mavs from a legit contender to first round fodder and led to Kidd and Terry leaving the next summer.

If you weren't keeping Chandler, there was no reason to keep JJB, Butler, and Stevenson. If they kept Chandler, I would have argued for at least keeping JJB, but those three weren't essential for the team to remain a contender. Chandler was absolutely essential and he was fairly priced.

I still find it hard to believe that Cuban punted two good shots at a title over finances.

Clipper Nation
01-15-2013, 03:37 PM
So who's going to be the new Erick Dampier? :lol

Ghazi
01-15-2013, 03:52 PM

I would've liked to keep CHandler, but it's a tad results oriented IMO for it to be considered a mistake. Keep in mind his great year w/ the Mavs was his first healthy and productive year in 3 years. Remember how upset everyone was when we signed him (including me), because of his injury prone struggles the previous 2years.. I think the health risk is what deterred the Mavs. As it turns out, he's been healthy 2 years straight and is the 2nd best defensive center in basketball.

But I don't dwell much on it, because I believe the Mavs last shot at a title was that year and they delivered.

Ghazi
01-15-2013, 03:53 PM
and :lol at people who think Cuban is a dumbass.

First off he's a fucking billionaire, he's obviously doing something right.

SEcond off, he brought a title to Dallas. Mission accomplished... in an era with Lebron, Durant, Duncan, and Kobe on stacked teams, the Mavs won a championship... think about how amazing that is.

Killakobe81
01-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Cuban is a great owner just like Jerry Jones. Both have owned the team during one of the greatest runs in franchise history both owners think they are the smartest men in the room and sometimes they are too smart for their own good.

Cuban (and Mavs fans) are also result orientated ....now insisting they are better off without Dwill and Howard (and they may be right) but it cuts both ways. Chandler was a HUGE mistake. You had a great defensive big he was not a prima donna, had great chemistry with dirk and didnt care about touches. Tyson stays Kidd probably does too and maybe you have a chance at Dwill cant blame the PGs for not wanting to help the Mavs rebuild ... when Cuban allowed the title team he had dissolve. And I also agree that the Mavs would probably lose a rematch with the Heat and I doubt they even beat OKC but with tyson they would of had a good chance ... of at least making another Finals ...and who knows maybe Dirk gets hot. Thing that kills me defending champs usually prey on less seasoned teams in teh playoffs if Tyson and JJB stayed I would of bet $ they beat Grizz, Lakers, Clips or Spurs in the playoffs with a decent chance to beat OKC in the WCF ... doubt they beat the Heat two years in a row ...but that would of been a worthy title defense.

Koolaid_Man
01-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Fire sale in Dallas.

^ Lets just say that Bank and Ass are interchangeable words

Latarian Milton
01-16-2013, 12:48 AM
letting TC walk was a mistake but the loss of ambition might have impaired the team even more imho. they would've remained top4 in the west had they kept TC but there would be little chance for them to get through clippers or OKC, let alone beating us to win it again. 11' mavs are similar to 08' celts, both teams consisted mainly of vets who had fought their entire lives for a ring, and their mission was already accomplished when the championship was won

Killakobe81
01-16-2013, 10:17 AM
letting TC walk was a mistake but the loss of ambition might have impaired the team even more imho. they would've remained top4 in the west had they kept TC but there would be little chance for them to get through clippers or OKC, let alone beating us to win it again. 11' mavs are similar to 08' celts, both teams consisted mainly of vets who had fought their entire lives for a ring, and their mission was already accomplished when the championship was won

Great points and maybe by this season they were looking at a 4 seed regardless of who stayed,but not properly defending that title in a shortened season where continuity was a huge asset was asinine

clambake
01-16-2013, 11:12 AM
asterisk trophies are worthless.

CubanMustGo
01-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Unlike the mouth of Cuban, which is ALWAYS open.