PDA

View Full Version : Pistons thrilled by draft results Delfino wants out if lb is back

ducks
06-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Pistons thrilled by draft results

BY PERRY A. FARRELL
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

June 30, 2005

It's important to Joe Dumars, the man in charge of keeping the Pistons a championship contender, that new fresh legs continue to bolster the roster while the core remains intact.

MEET THE NEW PISTONS
F JASON MAXIELL

Ht/Wt: 6-7, 260.

Pick: 1st round, 26th overall.

School: Cincinnati.

Notable: Nicknamed J-Max. Earned a psychology degree. Averaged 15.3 points, 7.7 rebounds and 2.7 blocked shots last season.

F AMIR JOHNSON

Ht/Wt: 6-9, 210.

Pick: 2nd round, 56th overall.

School: Westchester H.S. (Calif.)

Notable: California Mr. Basketball has "tremendous upside," Joe Dumars says. Ineligible during freshman and junior seasons and enrolled in three different high schools. Had signed to play at Louisville. Averaged 21 points, 15 rebounds last season.

G ALEX ACKER

Ht/Wt: 6-5, 185.

Pick: 2nd round, 60th overall.

School: Pepperdine.

Notable: Can play point or off guard. Struggled at Chicago draft camp. Averaged 16.6 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists as a junior.

That's why he's excited about the possibility that all three of Tuesday's draft choices will make the roster come opening night.

Jason Maxiell, 22, a first-round pick at No. 26, is a tough guy whose size, at 6-feet-7, may have been a question to other teams, but his heart captured Dumars' attention throughout the season.

"This guy here is a beast," Dumars said. "It doesn't matter how tall he is. When he gets out there, you'll see. He's cut out of that same mold" as Ben Wallace.

Maxiell was introduced to the media on Wednesday at the Palace Atrium, and Dumars said he expects him to make the Pistons' roster for next season.

But the surprise of the post-draft analysis was the visible glee and excitement John Hammond, vice president of basketball operations, and Scott Perry, director of player personnel, had when discussing the second-round picks, Amir Johnson and Alex Acker.

"These guys weren't throw-ins," Dumars said.

Johnson, 18, is 6-feet-10 and California's prep player of the year, from battle-tested Westchester High. Acker, a 6-5 combo guard, left Pepperdine a year early.

Perry said Dumars probably watched more film of Acker than he did of Maxiell, whom the organization tabbed early in the year as a possible Piston.

"I was telling Jason over at the practice facility, the other two kids we drafted, Amir Johnson at 56 and Alex Acker at 60, we're very excited about both of those kids as well," Dumars said. "You have to add youth and new energy and new blood into the system, or it runs the risk of getting stale. You have to continue to do that with the way we play and the level we're playing at.

"Amir is a high school kid that's 6-10 and has a tremendous upside. Alex Acker is a guy that I've been watching all season long. ...

"I just want to say we're very, very excited about both of those kids as well. Those weren't just guys we picked just because we had to pick at 56 and 60. Those were guys we liked an awful lot. There's a very good chance you could see those guys here next year as well."

Acker and Johnson were still in California and couldn't get to Detroit in time for the news conference.

Acker probably was near and dear to Dumars' heart because the Pistons' president of basketball operations played both guard positions in his franchise-record 14 years as a Piston.

"I'm really excited about him," Dumars said. "I think he can really play."

Perry said Johnson was a slimmer, less experienced version of Antonio McDyess, the team's backup power forward.

One Johnson stat that stands out was his eight blocked shots a game in a high school program that played across the country.

"When you see him play you'll see why we're excited," Perry said. "Westchester has had one of the top high school programs the last 10 years. Antoine Wright, who was drafted by New Jersey, went there. Both of those kids are very athletic."

Maxiell, who averaged 15.3 points and had 91 blocks as a senior at Cincinnati, listed himself at 6-5, although the organization lists him at 6-7.

A man of few words, Maxiell has long arms and a barrel chest and should fit in well with the likes of Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace and McDyess.

"I have a work ethic, and I'm not going to take a play off," Maxiell said. "I have a wingspan of 7-3, but also I'm strong, and I'm not going to take a day off. Of course I kind of patterned myself after Ben Wallace. I'm a Malik Rose-type player. At one point it was Kevin Garnett, but Kevin Garnett's a little too tall for me. Besides those three, the old Charles Barkley somewhat -- undersized but works hard."

Ben Wallace and Maxiell have something else in common: both are model car fanatics.

NOTEBOOK: Dumars said he had a long talk with swingman Carlos Delfino in San Antonio about his future. Delfino has told the Argentine press that if Larry Brown returned as coach, he'd like to play somewhere else. "I tend to get right to the point; I don't beat around the bush," Dumars said. "I said if you want to be here, let me know. If you don't, let me know. He said, 'I don't want to go anywhere, and I want to be here.' It's that simple. I said if you don't, give me a holler." ...

Delfino, Darko Milicic, Rickey Paulding, Andreas Glyniadakis and the latest draft picks are expected to play in the Las Vegas summer league, which starts next week.

Contact PERRY A. FARRELL at 313-222-2555 or [email protected].

http://www.freep.com/cgi-bin/forms/printerfriendly.pl

Kori Ellis
06-30-2005, 11:32 PM
Dumars said he had a long talk with swingman Carlos Delfino in San Antonio about his future. Delfino has told the Argentine press that if Larry Brown returned as coach, he'd like to play somewhere else. "I tend to get right to the point; I don't beat around the bush," Dumars said. "I said if you want to be here, let me know. If you don't, let me know. He said, 'I don't want to go anywhere, and I want to be here.' It's that simple. I said if you don't, give me a holler." ...

I don't see in Dumars' quote anything that indicates he doesn't want to come back if Larry Brown is there. It seems like just something that was mentioned in the Argentine media.

timvp
06-30-2005, 11:35 PM
"I have a work ethic, and I'm not going to take a play off," Maxiell said. "I have a wingspan of 7-3, but also I'm strong, and I'm not going to take a day off. Of course I kind of patterned myself after Ben Wallace. I'm a Malik Rose-type player. At one point it was Kevin Garnett, but Kevin Garnett's a little too tall for me. Besides those three, the old Charles Barkley somewhat -- undersized but works hard."

He must suck.

Sincerely,

AHF

Pistons < Spurs
06-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Delfino has gone off before to the foreign newspapers about not liking LB. He said that he and LB have NO relationship. They don't even say hello to each other. I know he want minutes....and naturally, LB does not easily give them out...But I truly believe the personality conflict is going to be too much to overcome, and we will have to get rid of him at some point.

At first I was blaming him for being a little bitch.....but I can understand how he feels. LB does not play anybody on the bench....no one gets any minutes...it pisses me off. Dupree,Darko,Delfino.....we're gonna lose all of them because of LB.

AI-square
07-01-2005, 12:30 AM
How about Willie Green and/or Rodney Rogers for Carlos Delfino? What say Pistons?

picnroll
07-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Delfino seems cocky. He always seems to be on the outside on the Argentine national team. I recall Manu having some reservations about Delfino when Brown asked about him.

timvp
07-01-2005, 12:35 AM
I also remember Delfino saying before the season last year that he was better than Manu.

:rolleyes

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I also remember Delfino saying before the season last year that he was better than Manu.

Yeah I think he said that he was as good as Manu but a little better better in most areas :rolleyes

AI-square
07-01-2005, 12:40 AM

I'd like to know where that came from. The only thing I've read from Delfino was this:

Last question... You are often compared to Emanuel Ginobili. Is that a good comparison?

CD: No! No way. We are totally different players. We don't even have similar looks (laughs). I'm more of an all-around player. I have been playing the one, two and three spots here. And I was playing power forward here the other day. Manu plays great, but only at a certain position. He is a great player, but I can do more things. He does several things and he does those things exceptionally well. I can do more things. I'm not incredibly good at anything, but I'm pretty good doing a lot of things.

http://www.hoopshype.com/interviews/delfino_sierra.htm

picnroll
07-01-2005, 12:43 AM
What "more things" can Delfino do exactly? Piss off coaches? I know he's pissed off Brown and the Argentine national coach.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 12:52 AM
I'd like to know where that came from.

I'll see if I can find it for you. It's somewhere on the forum. He did say that he thought he was better than Manu at most things.

Pistons < Spurs
07-01-2005, 01:00 AM
Delfino seems cocky.

YEP!!!!!!!

Which I don't mind toooo mcuh....the problem is that he ain't shown us shit yet. Perhaps he will get an opportunity in the summer league...who knows.

I really think this guy can ball....But he has to mature. More than likely, we'll be seeing him play on another team soon.......

Another part of the puzzle is Darko. Does Joe really want a so called "bad attitude" about our Coach around Darko...who I'm sure has to have some of the exact same feelings about LB. Personally I want him as far away from Darko as possible......I don't want that cancer to spread. I've heard that they are boys though..Supposedly they're spotted all over the place together.

picnroll
07-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Brown seems to be really bad with young players I remember Sean Elliott nearly went Spree on his neck his rookie season. I think he yells like Pop without compensating with the love and humor. That said Delfino may be a bitch sinc his attitude goes from place to place, always thinking as a newbie he deserved to be a man on the Argentine national team.

WayDowntownBang
07-01-2005, 07:45 AM
I can't stand this kid's mouth. If he can play half as good as he talks, he'll be a Hall of Fame lock.

I don't get it. Manu, Tony.. and all the other European players to come out, and we get the loud, obnoxious one.

theMUHMEshow
07-01-2005, 07:48 AM
How about Willie Green and/or Rodney Rogers for Carlos Delfino? What say Pistons?

I would love Willie Green to come back to the D! He is a great scorer and a lot better then dipshit ass Delfino!

I hate the MAXIELL pick...

Why couldnt we have taken Simeion

WayDowntownBang
07-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Why couldnt we have taken Simeion

Because Joe Dumars knows more about the draft than you or I. Trust the man.

ObiwanGinobili
07-01-2005, 07:57 AM
I had no idea that Delfino was such a cocky big mouthed twit.

damn. poor Manu..... with so few argentines inthe NBA they are usually all grouped together in people's minds. IE. what ever you do affects the whole group.

Sense
07-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Because Joe Dumars knows more about the draft than you or I. Trust the man.

Wouldn't you have loved a European player though?

vanvannen
07-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Yeah I think he said that he was as good as Manu but a little better better in most areas :rolleyes

That was a bad translation I think. He never said he was better than Manu. He ment to say he could do things Manu couldn't (I think he was talking about the 2003/04 Manu when Pop had his reigns tight) but not sure what things he was refering to.
Delfino is a skilled young player, but his mouth is a little big. He also had a problem with his injury when he said he was given all kinds of medication in Detroit and people thought he implied everybody was taking drugs in the NBA. He said that because in Europe and Argentina doctors use all kind of equipment but no drugs, as there are many more forbiden.
He also said recently that Manu was kind of a hero to him, and that he knew he should be the only argentinean wanting Detroit to win.

WayDowntownBang
07-01-2005, 08:28 AM
Wouldn't you have loved a European player though?

Depends on the guy. You don't just pick a guy based on where he's from, although that seems to be the 'in-thing' to do. The league goes through this phase, and people buy into it. One day it's "European players are the way to go!" and the next day it's "get the High School player.. the 'next big thing'.

I like the Pistons #26 pick. I didn't know anything about him, but after the fact, I did some research. The guy takes pride in his defense, he's quick, and he seems to be a geniune 'nice guy'. He fits the mold of a Detroit Piston perfectly. I think it was a good pick, but only time will tell. It's too easy to be a Monday Morning Draft Quarterback.

Pistons < Spurs
07-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Delfino has gone off before to the foreign newspapers about not liking LB.

This is part of a piece he did in an Argentinian newspaper just after being told he would not be on the playoff roster:

UNHAPPY PISTON Carlos Delfino didn't take being left off the Pistons' playoff roster well. He told an Argentine newspaper: "They used me, they treated me like trash. They should transfer me or cut me. From this place, I have the worst memories of my career and I want to go back home. Obviously, (Larry) Brown did this on purpose. This is the worst year in my career. I fulfilled my dream. I played in the NBA and I proved to myself that I can play here. That's the only positive thing. For this guy (Brown), I will not play anymore." Few expect Brown to return to the Pistons after this season, so Delfino should be OK.

WalterBenitez
07-01-2005, 08:36 AM
I have a question?

With Larry Brown as a Coach, Would Lebron or Carmelo played more than Darko?

Why a team (like Pistons) draft and keep young players and dont send them to develop overseas, like Spurs and many others team did and do?

I have a confession!

Delfino could be a good player, but sometimes acts like a stupid

picnroll
07-01-2005, 08:41 AM
To paraphrase Pop, Delfino hasn't gotten over himself.

gus
07-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Yep,

IT is all a misunderstood. Delfino said thousand of times that he will be honored to be half as manu. After the match vs. Phoenix (the 48 points match), he talked very proud about Manu.

He is a big mouth but he worked double to get in shape and Larry Brown let him out of the roster for ... Dervin Ham.

Gus

Pistons < Spurs
07-01-2005, 08:43 AM
I have a question?

With Larry Brown as a Coach, Would Lebron or Carmelo played more than Darko?Yes, they would have played more than Darko. They were/are both more ready for the NBA

Why a team (like Pistons) draft and keep young players and dont send them to develop overseas, like Spurs and many others team did and do?We currently have a player in Greece...forget his name. He's a 7ft center If I remember correctly
We have Ricky Paulding overseas.
And I beleive that Delfino stayed overseas for a year after we took him.

I have a confession!

I agree. There is alot of talent there. He just needs time to adjust, mature and develop.

WayDowntownBang
07-01-2005, 08:44 AM
I have a question?

With Larry Brown as a Coach, Would Lebron or Carmelo played more than Darko?

Why a team (like Pistons) draft and keep young players and dont send them to develop overseas, like Spurs and many others team did and do?

I have a confession!

I think Lebron or Carmelo would have played for sure, but that wasn't the point of the pick. When you're a playoff team like the Pistons were, and you get that #2 pick, you don't *NEED* that player to step up right away. Sure, it sucks for Darko that he didn't go to a team that would put him right on the floor, and I think it's affected him. Darko just wasn't ready, and they told us that BEFORE the draft.

While he's sat on the bench, we've been to the Finals twice, and was 4 minutes away from winning back to back titles.

I'll take that over Darko getting 35 minutes a game anyday.

I think he's ready to start getting 10 a game. I'm thinking you're going to see more Darko next year, and we'll finally start to get that big albatross off our shoulders about the 'bad #2 pick'.

As for Delfino, I read the same article. I hate when unproven talent talks the trash. There was a #1 pick out of Utah that you may have heard of that's been doing the same crap. I say that Karma is alive, and you'll see it rear it's ugly head this year with both these guys.

WayDowntownBang
07-01-2005, 08:45 AM
He is a big mouth but he worked double to get in shape and Larry Brown let him out of the roster for ... Dervin Ham.

Part of being a rookie. He needs to earn the spot. Talking trash isn't going to help.

samikeyp
07-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Larry Brown loves rookies.

Sincerly,
Sean Elliott

:lol

WayDowntownBang
07-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Larry Brown loves rookies.

Sincerly,
Sean Elliott

:lol

LOL, nice. But, since he's been here we've got 1 title and sniffed another one. I'll take that over making a rookie smile any day.

midgetonadonkey
07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Darko should have been overseas the whole time. How is he going to develop without any playing time. At least overseas he would be playing.

BigDaddyMatty
07-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Pistons thrilled by draft results.

In related news: So are every other team in league.

WayDowntownBang
Darko should have been overseas the whole time. How is he going to develop without any playing time. At least overseas he would be playing.

You know, I'm actually not sure why they didn't do that. Must have had their reasons. Not sure, though.

Rick Von Braun
LOL, nice. But, since he's been here we've got 1 title and sniffed another one. I'll take that over making a rookie smile any day. You may be right, but don't forget that LB is still a little whinny bitch. In the Delfino case, I think he acted with vengance. Delfino has to get over himself, I have no doubt about this. However, I think what triggered his ire was not only that he got cut after receiving positive feedback (including some certainty that he would make the playoff roster) from LB when Delfino was trying to make come back after injury, but more importantly, that he found out he was out of the playoff roster by reading a newspaper article.

No one in the Detroit organization (LB, an assistant coach, Dumars, no one) told him that he got cut. That my friend is pretty low, and Pop and the Spurs would have never done that to any player, no matter what attitude he had. His comments to the argentine press came right after that incident.

Developing young players is an important part of coaching. Despite all his shortcomings, Pop has shown infinitely more talent than Brown in that department.

WayDowntownBang
07-01-2005, 10:46 AM
No one in the Detroit organization (LB, an assistant coach, Dumars, no one) told him that he got cut. That my friend is pretty low, and Pop and the Spurs would have never done that to any player, no matter what attitude he had. His comments to the argentine press came right after that incident.

I hear what you're saying, and I read that too. Be careful to not always believe everything you read. Joe Dumars would not let that happen, and he's already said that it's not how it happened.

They DO need to develop the talent, but at the same time, you have a window of opportunity you're working with. Winning comes first. If you can win, AND develop the talent, that's even better.

I've had some hard feelings for Larry over the past few years, but it comes down to results. If you win, I forgive you. I'm happy with every aspect of the season except for those last 4 minutes.. and if it wasn't for Larry, we wouldn't have been there. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

WalterBenitez
07-01-2005, 10:58 AM

That's my point

You see Spurs let Manu in Europe

Darko was here, I am not talking only about bball skills, IQ and so on; I am talking about confidence, spirit and mentallity that everyone needs to develope at that age.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 12:03 PM
In retrospect, the Pistons probably wished they had left Darko in Europe for a year or two.

On the other hand, you'd have to have big hairy ones to do that with a lottery pick. What would the Detroit fans and press have said if they barely lost to the Spurs with Darko still in Europe? Everyone would have said that not bringing him over cost them a second championship (which we now know isn't true).

WalterBenitez
07-01-2005, 12:41 PM
In retrospect, the Pistons probably wished they had left Darko in Europe for a year or two.

On the other hand, you'd have to have big hairy ones to do that with a lottery pick. What would the Detroit fans and press have said if they barely lost to the Spurs with Darko still in Europe? Everyone would have said that not bringing him over cost them a second championship (which we now know isn't true).

Good point, but I still think that Darko's confidence is low, because he was #2 in the draft, and has no minutes; will he being in Summer league?

bdubya
07-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Darko and Delfino will both be in the summer league, along with our three new picks, Andreas Glyniadakis (7'1", 280 lbs), and C-Bill's kid brother Rodney. Obviously, Darko and Delfino need to show the world something serious. It'll be cool to see Max in action (strong player with longer arms than Tayshaun? could be good), and I've heard good and bad about Glyniadakis. Their performances, plus learning the latest plot twist in The Life and Times of Larry Brown, will tell us a lot about the Pistons' chances to take back the crown.

I'm bugged that NBATV is only going to air 2 out of their 5 games. Seems like the chance to see Darko in action would be a ratings draw, plus with the year Manu had, there'd be some interest in Delfino. Sheesh.

WayDowntownBang
07-01-2005, 02:07 PM
How much is NBATV anyway? I've always wanted to get it, but laziness has overcome.

And I can agree with everything said so far about Darko. Go to Europe and play? Lottery draft being sent over?

Hindsight is 20-20.

jochhejaam
07-01-2005, 04:21 PM

Delfino has a tremendous upside and he's only 23. When we first signed him he said "I'm better than Ginobilo". Well, he has yet to prove how good he is but doesn't lack for confidence. He did have one game last year where he scored 17 pts. in 19 mins.

He's a slasher and when Joe signed he said "you're going to see a lot of him on the highlight reels".

So, no trades. :lol

grjr
07-01-2005, 07:07 PM
That's my point

You see Spurs let Manu in Europe

Darko was here, I am not talking only about bball skills, IQ and so on; I am talking about confidence, spirit and mentallity that everyone needs to develope at that age.

Darko wasn't even getting many minutes in Europe when he was drafted was he?

acidsmoke86
07-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Spurs fans are retards

BigDaddyMatty
07-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Spurs fans are retards
Hey at least I am smart enough not to root for any team that comes from Charlotte.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2005, 09:29 PM
How much is NBATV anyway? I've always wanted to get it, but laziness has overcome.

On Comcast here (DC area), it's pretty cheap. I'm only paying about $5/month.

On the other hand, you'd think they'd throw it in free if you're also coughing up for League Pass, but they don't. Bastards.

SequSpur
07-01-2005, 09:32 PM
If Delfino can play in more than 41 games than he is definitely better than Manu.

bdubya
07-01-2005, 09:36 PM

Say "How about NO WAY."

Now, if you wanna put Iguanadala on the table, we can talk; that cat showed us something serious in round 1. IMHO, he'd wear a Pistons uniform very nicely indeed.

smeagol
07-01-2005, 09:59 PM
If Delfino can play in more than 41 games than he is definitely better than Manu.
"I start Sheyittt" :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
07-01-2005, 10:05 PM
if delfino has a problem with LB then send him on over to us.....please!!!

cant this guy play sf??

SequSpur
07-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Detroit is waiting for Larry Brown's resignation. They won't fire him because they owe him 3 yrs, 16 mill.

He will walk out soon.

FlyMonk321
07-01-2005, 10:58 PM
If we're talking about Darko now, the big thing you have to realize is that he was inactive all of last summer thanks to the broken hand he suffered in Fianls game 5 2004. He never got a chance to develop. I look forward to seeing a lot more out of Darko in the upcoming season.