PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Horry, five other Spurs reserves free to go elsewhere

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Horry, five other Spurs reserves free to go elsewhere
Web Posted: 07/01/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070105.1E.BKNspurs.freeagents.2437538d.html

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

When the clock struck midnight in New York City on Thursday night, six Spurs became free agents, including one of the team's playoff heroes.

Robert Horry, the backup power forward and clutch 3-point shooter, exercised an option in his contract to become a free agent. He played last season for the veteran minimum salary of $1.1million. His contract for 2005-06 also was to be $1.1 million.

Horry joined small forward Devin Brown, power forward Tony Massenburg, center Sean Marks, point guard Mike Wilks and small forward Glenn Robinson on the 2005 NBA champions' list of free agents.

Robert Bahr, who represents Horry, said he informed the Spurs on Thursday that Horry was opting out of the second season of the two-season deal he signed last summer.

Bahr stressed, however, that Horry wants to remain with the Spurs.

"Robert loves San Antonio," Bahr said. "That's No. 1 in his mind."

He said Horry had instructed him to make every effort to keep him in San Antonio.

Horry, 34, a 13-year NBA veteran who passed Michael Jordan as the career leader in 3-pointers made in the NBA Finals, said during the playoffs that he wants to play two more seasons before he retires and that he hoped to finish his career with the Spurs.

Gregg Popovich, the Spurs' coach and executive vice-president of basketball operations, last week acknowledged that Horry's proven value to the team, especially during the playoffs, merited "special consideration" this summer.

Brown, the small forward from San Antonio, also has made it clear he wants to return. He suffered a herniated disk late in the season and was used sparingly during the playoffs.

Brown is a restricted free agent, meaning the Spurs can match any offer he would receive from another team. He was under contract last season for $695,000 and was certain to attract interest from other teams, for a significant increase, before the injury clouded his future.

With the final details of a collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and its players' union being hammered out by lawyers — both sides still must ratify the agreement once it is in final form — the new salary-cap number won't be known for another few weeks. Teams can begin signing free agents on July 22.

The cap, which stood last season at $43.5 million, likely will increase because the new agreement calls for it to reflect an increase in the percentage of the league's basketball-related income, from 48 percent to 51 percent. One league executive said most teams are using $48 million to $48.5 million as a "working guess."

The Spurs figure to be over the new cap figure, even if it were to ease past $50 million. With Tony Parker's contract extension kicking in — his salary will rise from $1.545 million to $8.4 million — the Spurs already are committed to about $54 million in 2005-06 salaries.

Teams over the salary cap have several exceptions they can use to sign free agents. They can use all, or part, of the average salary exception, and the Spurs are expected to use it in an effort to sign Argentine power forward Luis Scola, a teammate of Manu Ginobili's on Argentina's gold medal-winning Olympic team. The Spurs selected Scola in the second round of the 2002 draft and retain, in perpetuity, his NBA rights.

Scola played last season for Tau Ceramica, of the Spanish professional league, and is considered one of the top forwards in European basketball. The Spurs can negotiate with him beginning today but won't be able to sign him before July 22. Signing Scola also would require buying out his contract with Tau Ceramica.

The Spurs have an option to pick up the final season of small forward Linton Johnson III's contract, at $695,000. They had until midnight to exercise the option but have been negotiating with Johnson's agent to extend the time frame for making that decision.

The Spurs also have the rights to three players they selected in the second round of past drafts, none of whom they are expected to try to sign this summer: Robertas Javtokas (2001), who played last season in the Lithuanian Basketball League; Sergei Karaulov (2004), who played last season in the Russian Superleague; and Viktor Sanakidze (2004), who played last season in the French Pro A League.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 12:05 AM
The Spurs have an option to pick up the final season of small forward Linton Johnson III's contract, at $695,000. They had until midnight to exercise the option but have been negotiating with Johnson's agent to extend the time frame for making that decision.

Looks like the Spurs are trying to put off their decision on Linton until they look around at others.

timvp
07-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Horry sounds like an all summer headache.

Scola better not try to milk the Spurs out of money. Hopefully he just takes a Manu type deal and is willing to work for his "real" contract.

Tha Third sounds like he's coming back. The Spurs must be checking out to make sure there's not a better option available.

Sanikidze is not coming for next season. I wonder where he will end up. A source told me earlier today he's leaning to signing with an Italian team.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 12:14 AM
There really only a handful of free agents that could possibly fit the Spurs' SF need for, at most, post-Scola MLE scraps. Linton is a good hedge, but putting off the option is tres cheap, and not overly fair to Linton - he must really want to stay.

whottt
07-01-2005, 12:15 AM
Gregg Popovich, the Spurs' coach and executive vice-president of basketball operations, last week acknowledged that Horry's proven value to the team, especially during the playoffs, merited "special consideration" this summer.

Can someone translate that bit of Popspeak?

I know it means raise...but how much of one? And for how long...

And I think Pop definitely wants Horry back...

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Ferry money.

At least two years at the full MLE -- team option or partial guarantee for year two.

whottt
07-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Well technically...if he was getting the Ferry treatment the option year would be when he turns 38...which would mean 2@ the MLE with TO on a 3rd year..

If you offer Horry that he's signed...I don't think he wants to play 3 more years...I think he wants two full at the MLE...he earned it.

And what did Ferry do to merit special consideration anyway? Suck ass VS the Lakers?

Horry already did that too...

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 12:23 AM
I think the Spurs would have a total amount in mind that is lower than the full MLE for two seasons and will frontload the deal so they won't have to worry about it affecting the tax situation in year two.

Gummi
07-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Pretty interesting. I'm guessing and hoping that we'll be able to sign Horry, Brown, and Massenburg for next season. Marks is a player that I would like to continue with us, but not a must like Horry and possibly Brown. Wilks is a toss up. I'm sure that there are other servicable PG out there. The Big Dog is a huge ? mark for me. Yeah, he's still a scorer and a good player, but will he accept comming off the bench for a whole season and possibly playing under 20 minutes a night. That's a big question.

whottt
07-01-2005, 12:26 AM
The only must is Horry....at least for next year. Everyone else...including Scola...is secondary.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Marks is going to cash in over in Europe. I was thinking Padgett could replace him and actually hit those long jumpers.

Mass can come back if he wants.

Dog is gone.

whottt
07-01-2005, 12:47 AM
I'd like to have Dogg back but he's definitely a luxury when it comes down to it....

For some reason I could see him landing in a place like Charlotte...that would give the Bobcats a very talented frontline...

caspian
07-01-2005, 01:07 AM
I'd want Devon Brown, Robert Horry, and Glenn Robinson back.

Is that possible? I don't really understand the whole "cap" and all that very much. It seems like whatever this cap is...we're already above it...I don't know...

constantstate
07-01-2005, 01:09 AM
correct me if im wrong but if all goes well, isnt it:

nazr / rasho
tim / horry / scola
bowen
manu / barry
parker / beno

i'd love that lineup. but theres only 2 more beds at the inn. a solid 3 with the size and quickness at that spot and a vet backup point and we're in dynasty mode? :)

blaze89
07-01-2005, 01:09 AM
I think Horry, Brown and Massenberg will be back. Robinson will probably head on out elsewhere.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 01:11 AM

nazr / rasho
tim / horry / scola
bowen
manu / barry
parker / beno

i'd love that lineup. but theres only 2 more beds at the inn. a solid 3 with the size and quickness at that spot and a vet backup point and we're in dynasty mode?Good plan.

Go ahead and pencil Brown in for my sake -- the Spurs would still need to sign 3 more players.

constantstate
07-01-2005, 01:16 AM
Good plan.
yeah i see that they're keeping their options open with linton... maybe he just needs solid playing time (regular season) but we need someone to reduce bowens mins in the regular season NOW. cause he's just getting older... and i'd think we'd want to do a "horry" with him next year and save his legs for late season and the playoffs. (where he'd really shine)

the backup point spot too... beno was solid i thought for a rookie, but in the playoffs, he did struggle a bit. not that anyone else wouldnt, but theres got to be a more solid option in back of him. everywhere else we're pretty deep. coca-scola can probably take horry's mins in the regular season (in spots) and give horry that rest he needs.

TheTruth
07-01-2005, 02:22 AM
A b/u point isn't as important as a b/u sf. I can see brent and manu running a lot more point next year. I say resign Horry first, then bring over Scola, then look for a long 3 to back up Bruce. If you can't find one for the right price resign both The Third and Devin, and groom one of them.

spvrs
07-01-2005, 08:06 AM
when does the luxury tax kick in?

I didn't realize that our salary is really jumpin' up there (for a small market team). I'm starting to doubt that we can sign Scola

there is no way we are getting into the luxury tax... I don't think it's being cheap it's just reality

IcemanCometh
07-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Don't forget the cap is going up by 7 mil

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 08:44 AM
The $ will be there for Horry. Hopefully the Spurs just hand it over instead of dragging it out all summer and potentially creating some bad blood. They might as well stitch Horry's name on the 3rd championship banner because if it wasn't for him in Game 5, there wouldn't be one.

gus
07-01-2005, 08:47 AM
With pain I dare to say that if TAU CERAMICA ( Scola's team ) do not lower the buyout, I do not think it will be possible. The buy out is 2 Million. The tactic of the Spurs should be lower it or next year I will pick him free of charge. Just for info this club has been inflexible in the past.

Gus

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 08:54 AM
With pain I dare to say that if TAU CERAMICA ( Scola's team ) do not lower the buyout, I do not think it will be possible. The buy out is 2 Million. The tactic of the Spurs should be lower it or next year I will pick him free of charge. Just for info this club has been inflexible in the past.

Gus

Probably why the interest in Oberto is public. We'll bring in the other Argentine if you fuck with us.

sa_butta
07-01-2005, 08:55 AM
The $ will be there for Horry. Hopefully the Spurs just hand it over instead of dragging it out all summer and potentially creating some bad blood. They might as well stitch Horry's name on the 3rd championship banner because if it wasn't for him in Game 5, there wouldn't be one.True that, I think he is crucial if we want to make a back to back run. The guy is money and he is worth it.

picnroll
07-01-2005, 08:57 AM
From what I've read about Tau they don't seem to play ball with anyone. They're taking a very hardline with everyone on Calderon and have said they wouldn't play ball with anyone on Splitter. I think keeping players is much more important to them that money they can make in buyouts.

spvrs
07-01-2005, 09:02 AM
Don't forget the cap is going up by 7 mil

Stein said ~50, article speculates 48. Article says our salary now is 54 million for next year

so MLE + Bird rights for hory our payroll would go up to 60+... NO WAY that's happening, IMO.

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 09:06 AM
So is there gonna be a bigger problem with Scola than first thought?

Walton Buys Off Me
07-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Horry is and should be the Spurs #1 priority. I hate to agree with Sparky, but without Horry in game 5, we're watching Rasheed strut around with that replica belt all summer.

If we can move Nesterovic's deal, then Scola won't be a problem either. I'd be happy with an Horry-Scola summer. This team doesn't require anything major anyways.

spvrs
07-01-2005, 09:27 AM
no one is going to take Rasho's contract without sending stuff back. It's not going to be easy to dump Rasho...

can we get a mulligan on the that contract?

Walton Buys Off Me
07-01-2005, 09:31 AM
If we package Brown and/or Beno, then lots of teams will take his deal.

Plus, Rasho's deal is a bargain compared to other crap out there. He could help an Eastern Conference team out big time. I really don't see much of a problem dealing him.

spvrs
07-01-2005, 09:42 AM
brown is going to be a base year player and isn't going to sign just so we can package him up to some crappy team... if we ship beno then we don't have a back up PG. We probably can ship rasho, the problem will be for what? and how long...

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Moving Rasho doesn't make it any easier to sign Scola this season -- only to keep him long-term perhaps.

That said, Atlanta would probably take him for Diaw and cap space, no questions asked.

spvrs
07-01-2005, 09:44 AM
the problem isn't the ease of signing scola -- there is no way he wants more than the MLE... the problem is staying under the luxury tax.

That said, Atlanta would probably take him for Diaw and cap space, no questions asked.

there is no way they'd do that. you think they'd give up their dreams of Sam D. for Rasho??? (plus give up Diaw)

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 10:01 AM
you think they'd give up their dreams of Sam D. for Rasho???They'll have to after Philly re-signs him or matches an offer.

spvrs
07-01-2005, 10:19 AM
They'll have to after Philly re-signs him or matches an offer.

man, glad we have a claraviont here so we know what will happen... so they will pass up all the big men and give away a Diaw and cap space for Rasho...

that's weird.. I don't feel better

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Restricted free agency makes it a pretty fair bet Dalembert will stay in Philly. Which other centers for Atlanta? For how much? More than Rasho?

And don't act like Diaw is in their plans either -- that was three coaches and four swingman draft choices coaches ago.

It's not like Rasho is going anywhere, so why would you not feel better anyway?

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 10:27 AM
I think the Spurs are fine with Horry so long as they don't try to dicker with him over the contract. Spurs should make a solid offer at the start of negotiations, something like 2 years at the MLE fully guaranteed. That's a fair offer for him.

spvrs
07-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Rasho is 28, Eddie Curry and Chandler are younger as is stromile swift. Seattle was exploring trading a pick for Diaw so it's not like he's fodder... Atlanta could get a hell of a lot more than Rasho for the cap space (you need to re-read the tea leaves).

It's not like Rasho is going anywhere,

can you send me a IM about how the stock market is going to do next year and probe pop's mind for a good bottle of wine? thanks

I'm feeling uncomfortable because I want Scola, Beno, Horry and Devin on the team.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 10:30 AM
A little off topic maybe: But why are the Spurs so set on keeping Johnson III? I hear they are trying to groom him to become our next Bruce Bowen. However, I can see Devin Brown becoming that guy for us in the future. If Spurs resign Brown, he can work all season long under Bowen. Brown has proven he can be a solid defender and that he can score under pressure. I think Brown would be a great player to have in the future.

spvrs
07-01-2005, 10:35 AM
MLE sounds too high for Horry... I think he'll get a three year deal starting at 2.5, devin probably starting at ~2, scola ~2.5...

if you want the exact figures you'll have to ask Chump

spur219
07-01-2005, 10:46 AM
I don't know if Horry will come back to SA unless they pay him $5 mill.

FearDaDuncaN_SA
07-01-2005, 10:47 AM
A little off topic maybe: But why are the Spurs so set on keeping Johnson III? I hear they are trying to groom him to become our next Bruce Bowen. However, I can see Devin Brown becoming that guy for us in the future. If Spurs resign Brown, he can work all season long under Bowen. Brown has proven he can be a solid defender and that he can score under pressure. I think Brown would be a great player to have in the future.

I'm going to have to agree with you on that one. I would love to see the Spurs resign Brown!

FearDaDuncaN_SA
07-01-2005, 10:49 AM
I think Horry, Brown and Massenberg will be back. Robinson will probably head on out elsewhere.

What's so special about Massenberg?

The 6-9, 250-pound Massenburg was originally selected by the Spurs in the second round (43rd overall pick) of the 1990 NBA Draft. Since that time he has played for 12 NBA teams as well as enjoying stints in the Italian League and the Spanish League.

In his 12-year NBA career Massenburg has appeared in 622 games, averaging 6.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in 18.6 minutes per contest. During the 2003-04 season he averaged 4.3 points and 3.2 rebounds in 13.4 minutes in 59 games for the Sacramento Kings.

Massenburg spent his rookie season with the Spurs, averaging 2.3 points and 1.7 rebounds in 35 games during the 1990-91 campaign. In 1991-92 he saw action in one game for the Spurs before being waived on December 2, 1991.

The 37-year-old Massenburg has played for San Antonio, Charlotte, Boston, Golden State, the L.A. Clippers, Toronto, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Vancouver, Houston, Memphis, Utah and Sacramento during his NBA career. He enjoyed his best season during the lockout shortened 1998-99 campaign when he averaged 11.2 points and 6.0 rebounds in 26.6 minutes in 43 games with the Vancouver Grizzlies.

ObiwanGinobili
07-01-2005, 10:53 AM
I really hate to say this.....

But I agree with Walton Buys Me Off , I'd be happy if we got Horry and Scola scored away this summer. that'd make my day.

If we can do that and still have space to fiddle with, My first priority would be D. Brown who I believe we can get for less then 2 mil. at most 1.6mil.... his stock went down after the injury and he;s a homer - he wants to stay.

strangeweather
07-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Rasho is 28, Eddie Curry and Chandler are younger as is stromile swift. Seattle was exploring trading a pick for Diaw so it's not like he's fodder... Atlanta could get a hell of a lot more than Rasho for the cap space (you need to re-read the tea leaves).

If you were a free agent, would you want to sign with Atlanta? There isn't much sign that they've started moving in the right direction, and who wants to voluntarily play for (give or take) the worst team in the league?

Sometime in August or September, the opportunity to land a center with an actual pulse is likely to look pretty good to them. Rasho has proven that he can start in this league, he doesn't have a completely insane contract, and he has a good enough basic character that he isn't likely to turn into an attitude problem on a bad team.

Chicago desperately wants Chandler back (and can offer him the most money and match any offers), and out of all the teams in the league that needs centers, only one of them will be able to sign Curry. And at 6'9", Swift is pretty small to sign as a center. If I were a team looking for a center, after Curry signs somewhere, I'd pretty much have to have Rasho on my short list.

sw

easjer
07-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Devin Brown would be great - unless his back injury doesn't allow him to continue playing.

According to scouting reports, LJ III is already very good on defense and seems be recovering from his injury. He needs work on offense, but has been productive thus far for the Spurs.

So what they would do (ideally) is sign them both (Brown won't collect the money he might deserve because of his injury which is a frightening injury that could cripple a career and LJIII is cheap) groom them and see how they do.

I just have faith in the Spurs office - I feel like they wouldn't have kep him around if they didn't see something they didn't like.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Rasho is 28, Eddie Curry and Chandler are younger as is stromile swift.The Bulls said they would match any offers for the first two -- there is that pesky restricted free agency again -- and Stro 1) isn't a center and 2) has a very inflated idea of his own worth, which is why he's a free agent in the first place.
Seattle was exploring trading a pick for Diaw so it's not like he's fodder.Their second rounder? How is that not being fodder?
I'm feeling uncomfortable because I want Scola, Beno, Horry and Devin on the team.That's entirely possible without dumping anyone. Free agency seems to make fans either paranoid or delusional, depending on how they see their team's situation.

constantstate
07-01-2005, 12:30 PM
i'll take an order of horry, with a large/mid sized scola. oh also, can i have a 3 wing and a back up point to go?

spvrs
07-01-2005, 12:35 PM
WOW that's news, so the team said they are going to match so that makes it so. You forgot to tell that to NJ and Denver or Lamar and the Clippers. I checked actually Rasho is 29, with 3 18 year olds on there team that makes alot of sense for Atlanta... once those guys near their prime he'll yodeling in Slovenia.

You watch the draft? Second rounders were are hot comodity this year. Plus that's generally how you start a negotiation... you low ball they counter.

That's entirely possible without dumping anyone. Free agency seems to make fans either paranoid or delusional, depending on how they see their team's situation.

could be possible -- it will take some great GM'ing by RC and the boys. but spurs aren't paying lux. tax so somethings got to give... My hope would be that Rasho get's traded... I don't think people are going to line up to take him like you seem to know...

p.s. can you let RC know that Atlanta will do that in a second? My guess is he'd jump at it...

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 12:38 PM
but spurs aren't paying lux. taxYou can let me know what the luxury tax threshold will be for the next three or four seasons then can't you? You have some great predictive skills of your own, don't you?
p.s. can you let RC know that Atlanta will do that in a second? My guess is he'd jump at it.No he won't -- they're in no hurry to give him up, as evidenced by the deals for him which have already been turned down.

spvrs
07-01-2005, 12:41 PM
which deals?

you don't see a difference between seeing a range can be calculated for the lux. tax for the next three seasons and knowing what's going to happen in free agency with 4 big men?

strangeweather
07-01-2005, 12:51 PM
The Bulls said they would match any offers for the first two -- there is that pesky restricted free agency again

I know that's what the Bulls have said, but do you really see Curry going back to them next year? I could be wrong, but I kind of think they might just be looking to angle for the right sign and trade.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 12:54 PM
you don't see a difference between seeing a range can be calculated for the lux. tax for the next three seasons and knowing what's going to happen in free agency with 4 big men?Nope. Your guess is as bad as mine. So give me your bad guess. Numbers please.
I know that's what the Bulls have said, but do you really see Curry going back to them next year? I could be wrong, but I kind of think they might just be looking to angle for the right sign and tradeI think Curry might end up taking the qualifying offer, as he has alot to prove medically before anyone is going to pony up the money he seems to want.

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 12:57 PM
No team is EVER gonna say they dont want a player back. Could you imagine if the Bulls said they didnt want Curry back?

I can easily see the Bulls trading Curry.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 12:58 PM
No team is EVER gonna say they dont want a player back.You should look at yesterday's transactions then. Several teams said they didn't want players back.
I can easily see the Bulls trading Curry.For whom? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but who really wants to give him a contract like, say, Parker's right now with all the questions about his health?

spvrs
07-01-2005, 01:00 PM
what deals did they pass up?

I think to sign everybody ~60
~10% higher next year... give you ~66
and so on and so on...

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 01:02 PM
what deals did they pass up?Kurt Thomas is the most well-known deal.
I think to sign everybody ~60
~10% higher next year... give you ~60
and so on and so on...That wasn't the question. I asked your estimates of the tax threshold for the next 3-4 years. That's what your argument depends on.

spvrs
07-01-2005, 01:06 PM
2005-06
Worst Case +1.0% +4.0% $2,977 $58.6 $44.2 $1,758
Preferred +3.0% +6.3% $3,157 $62.4 $47.1 $1,872
Best Case +5.0% +8.0% $3,333 $66.1 $50.0 $1,984

how's that?

Kurt is signed through 2007/2008... how does that help with salary?

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 01:06 PM
You should look at yesterday's transactions then. Several teams said they didn't want players back.For whom? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but who really wants to give him a contract like, say, Parker's right now with all the questions about his health?

LOL. Were any of those players Eddy Curry or someone like Kwame Brown who is young and can be received for value.

strangeweather
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
I think Curry might end up taking the qualifying offer, as he has alot to prove medically before anyone is going to pony up the money he seems to want.

You could easily be right, but there are a lot of teams that need centers and have GMs who are willing to take a chance.

When you combine that with several reports that Skiles doesn't like Curry, I think it's hard to say where he'll be playing next year.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Hey, you're the one speaking in absolutes. Of course Brown was extended the QO for a likely S&T. Curry? For this season, Chicago is completely in the driver's seat because of Curry's health issues, with the caveat that it is less of a pain to get injury-forced retirements off the cap with the new CBA.

Mark in Austin
07-01-2005, 01:11 PM
I know that's what the Bulls have said, but do you really see Curry going back to them next year? I could be wrong, but I kind of think they might just be looking to angle for the right sign and trade.

Any team that offers Curry more than MLE type money is taking a HUGE risk, unless there's going to be another luxury tax holiday/mulligan in the future.

Setting aside the (potential) health issues, this is a player who was unmotivated for years. Then all of a sudden, when it's contract time, he gets in shape and plays at a respectable level?

Pass.

strangeweather
07-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Any team that offers Curry more than MLE type money is taking a HUGE risk, unless there's going to be another luxury tax holiday/mulligan in the future.

Setting aside the (potential) health issues, this is a player who was unmotivated for years. Then all of a sudden, when it's contract time, he gets in shape and plays at a respectable level?

Pass.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a smart move, I'm saying it's a move somebody might well make. Remember the Nets' Alonzo Mourning deal? Remember Jerome James's last contract?

sw

Dave McNulla
07-01-2005, 04:29 PM
spurs payroll is going up up up.

my prediction:
horry stays. linton and brown stay, brown gets a modest raise. glenn is gone for more money. marks will go play in europe. tmass is gone, some new tough guy will replace him. not sure who will fill the emty spots.

spvrs
07-26-2005, 06:43 PM

I guess an intelligent poster translates that into:

If I haven't mentioned it yet, I also believe those calling for Childress, et.al., are reaching. The Spurs are buying payroll relief, and it will cost them.Depends on what players are involved.

does it have something to do with what the definition of is is? the deponent or something... Chump are you Bill Clinton?

CaptainLate
07-26-2005, 07:19 PM

nazr / rasho
tim / horry / scola
bowen
manu / barry
parker / beno

i'd love that lineup. but theres only 2 more beds at the inn. a solid 3 with the size and quickness at that spot and a vet backup point and we're in dynasty mode? :)

Oberto's in and Scola is out. Rasho is out (sometime down the line). Wilks, Marks and LJ3 will be replaced by summer league and trades. Big Dog still up in the air.

spvrs
07-27-2005, 06:56 AM
chump you there?

spvrs
07-27-2005, 08:13 AM
chump you care to reconcile those statements?

(weren't you also the guy that said that if you have over 18 million like atlanta suddenly cap space has no value?)

ChumpDumper
07-27-2005, 09:59 AM
Am I supposed to be ignoring you or not. Reconcile those statements.

As for my statements, they don't dontradict each other at all.

Childress > Diaw.

Childress is a reach. Diaw is not.

You are truly dense.

wildbill2u
07-27-2005, 10:00 AM
There really only a handful of free agents that could possibly fit the Spurs' SF need for, at most, post-Scola MLE scraps. Linton is a good hedge, but putting off the option is tres cheap, and not overly fair to Linton - he must really want to stay.

Or really has no other better chance to go somewhere else. Remember he's been on IR almost all year, apparently for legitimate reasons. And his record as a marginal player with several teams doesn't exactly inspire much interest from other teams either. He may be a last minute addition if the Spurs can't find anyone better.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2005, 10:04 AM
I agree with that, but it would seem he would've gotten SL or maybe even camp invites had he been released. He's only been with one team besides the Spurs.

SL is a showcase for marginal players after all.

Lint might also make more money out of the deal than if he went straight into free agency, depending on the terms of the option.

wildbill2u
07-27-2005, 10:08 AM
Probably why the interest in Oberto is public. We'll bring in the other Argentine if you fuck with us.

A very prescient observation before the happening. Kudos to you because I don't think anyone saw the Oberto signing coming.

wildbill2u
07-27-2005, 10:20 AM
I agree with that, but it would seem he would've gotten SL or maybe even camp invites had he been released. He's only been with one team besides the Spurs.

SL is a showcase for marginal players after all.

Lint might also make more money out of the deal than if he went straight into free agency, depending on the terms of the option.

I'm wondering if the Spurs have any interest in him at all. Wouldn't they have placed him on their Summer league team to check out his recovery and play against other prospects? Of course, if they're just looking at him as a bench warmer as part of a contractual obligation to have a player on the roster, rather than a possible Bowen replacement, then it doesn't matter much who they sign.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2005, 10:25 AM
It could go either way, but the pickings are fairly slim for SFs that are much better than LJ3 and want to play behind Bruce in free agency -- it could very well come down to Johnson vs. Johnsen in training camp if no trades are made.