PDA

View Full Version : After we land Baynes..whats next for us to be a powerhouse

LASToog36
01-16-2013, 06:25 AM
after we land baynes what would we need to do to make us a physical powerhouse in the playoffs.. what feasible trade can we do and what position are we gonna be weak at ....
DISCUSS

exstatic
01-16-2013, 06:49 AM
:lol A powerhouse? Spurs are never going to be a powerhouse. As a small market team, just be glad they are very very good, and not calling the moving company like Sacto.

benefactor
01-16-2013, 07:10 AM
After I landed your woman and a fluid trade was feasible, she declared me to be a physical powerhouse that wasn't weak at any position.
/DISCUSS

Russo21
01-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Maybe trade for LeBron and Durant? :-) Pretty sure that'd help.

TDMVPDPOY
01-16-2013, 09:17 AM
need a real fkn backup pg who can hand the duties of a backup is supposed to do, no hero bullshit

team-work
01-16-2013, 09:36 AM
:wow

What a metaphor...

Imakandi
01-16-2013, 09:47 AM
need a real fkn backup pg who can hand the duties of a backup is supposed to do, no hero bullshit

Agree!

And trust me Nando so not going to do it, i dont know whats he doing in NBA was average at best in Euroleague...
...ever heard for Bo McCalebb? (hint,hint:)...

Imakandi
01-16-2013, 09:51 AM
No? ok little pre-view of that little turbo MOFO... fastest PG in Euro no doubt..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sF_7j5w6n8

Imakandi
01-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Sorry wrong http this is the one i wanned u to see (just put sound on mute:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BvjohG8lG4

BadOne
01-16-2013, 10:34 AM
After I landed your woman and a fluid trade was feasible, she declared me to be a physical powerhouse that wasn't weak at any position.
/DISCUSS

:lol:lol:lol

Paranoid Pop
01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Getting McGee for anything it takes barring TP Manu Tim KY tbh.

spurraider21
01-16-2013, 11:43 AM
All this assuming Baynes pans out as a legit bench big... The only thing we can truly hope for is internal improvments. Kawhi becoming a more consistent defender, Green, Neal knocking down their open shots, Diaw being a bit more assertive, and Pop realizing Bonner could stretch the floor all the way from the bench

01-16-2013, 01:35 PM
spurs need a miracle trade to be a legitimate contender up there with the heat, thunder, and clippers. right now they just don't have a top 5 player needed to win a championship. they probably won't get that miracle trade so instead, they have to get some players to execute the best defense in the league.

timvp
01-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Unless the Heat or Thunder want to trade LeBron or Durant to San Antonio, there's not going to be a powerhouse in San Antonio anytime soon, unfortch.

bus driver
01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
after we land baynes what would we need to do to make us a physical powerhouse in the playoffs.. what feasible trade can we do and what position are we gonna be weak at ....
DISCUSS

only one trade will put the silver and black over the top of the rest of the NBA and that is to bring back RJ !

Jumi
01-16-2013, 02:42 PM
We NEED a backup pg! We have our physical big man with a little attitude to him! This team hasn't really hit its stride just yet. We have a legit shot this year. I hope whatever type of team we end up becoming is figured out by the RRT. Then we could pull a 2011 Mavs! Hindsight is 20/20 but no one expected the Mavs to when the title that year! There was even talk of them losing to the Blazers in the first round. That's why I love basketball! If everyone on the team competes for 48 minutes we got a chance!!!

boutons_deux
01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
It would be wonderful if next step would be the so-called powerhouse blowing out the Grizz tonight, like DAL and LAC did.

pad300
01-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Unless the Heat or Thunder want to trade LeBron or Durant to San Antonio, there's not going to be a powerhouse in San Antonio anytime soon, unfortch.

I can see possibilities in SJax's expiring. Yeah, having a man with stones the size of Capt. Jax's is nice, but consider this trade:

Kirilenko for Sjax + Picks

Looks potentially quite possible. I think the upside for SAS is clear.
For MIN, well, AK-47's 31 - the wolves core is still maturing (Love is 24, Rubio is 22 IIRC, Shved is 22, and Budinger is young as well - Pekovic is the oldest at 27). When they mature Kirilenko'll be old. He's on a decent but short contract (slightly less than SJAX)- it expires next year - could they even expect him to stick around? He will likely have offers on the open market.
MIN wants to make the Post-season this year, but currently their odds suck (Hollinger currently projects them an 8.7% chance). If the Timberwolves are not competing this year at the deadline, he's not part of the wolves' future...
At the deadline, if say SAS comes a calling and offers SJax's expiring, and a 2013 first, they will at least get a hearing. If the offer becomes SJax, a 2013 first and a 2015 first (top 5 protected)...I'm thinking Kahn takes it and runs.

Minutes:

TD - 32 at C
TS - 16 at C, 16 at PF
KL - 32 at SF
AK - 32 at PF
Manu - 16 at SF, 16 at SG
Green - 32 at SG
Parker - 32 at PG
Mills/De Colo/Co Jo/ Neal - 16 at PG

7 Deep + the back up PG slot. A variety of decent smalls off the bench. Our bigs - TD, TS & AK are as good as any front line in the league. Our 4th big can either be skill - Boris or Muscle - Baynes...

We have KL and AK (and Boris) to match up with Durant & Lebron...

SenorSpur
01-16-2013, 03:35 PM
There's not a lot the Spurs can do to establish themselves as a powerhouse for this year. I would be more encouraged if they can get a good, young player in the upcoming June NBA draft. Personally, I've got my eye on a player like Gourgui Dieng of Louisville. A young, long, athletic, defensive-minded, shot-blocking phenom, who could step out and guard the stretch 4's of the NBA.

Jumi
01-16-2013, 03:49 PM
I can see possibilities in SJax's expiring. Yeah, having a man with stones the size of Capt. Jax's is nice, but consider this trade:

For MIN, well, AK-47's 31 - the wolves core is still maturing (Love is 24, Rubio is 22 IIRC, Shved is 22, and Budinger is young as well - Pekovic is the oldest at 27). When they mature Kirilenko'll be old. He's on a decent but short contract (slightly less than SJAX)- it expires next year - could they even expect him to stick around? He will likely have offers on the open market.
MIN wants to make the Post-season this year, but currently their odds suck (Hollinger currently projects them an 8.7% chance). If the Timberwolves are not competing this year at the deadline, he's not part of the wolves' future...
At the deadline, if say SAS comes a calling and offers SJax's expiring, and a 2013 first, they will at least get a hearing. If the offer becomes SJax, a 2013 first and a 2015 first (top 5 protected)...I'm thinking Kahn takes it and runs.

Minutes:

TD - 32 at C
TS - 16 at C, 16 at PF
KL - 32 at SF
AK - 32 at PF
Green - 32 at SG
Parker - 32 at PG

7 Deep + the back up PG slot. A variety of decent smalls off the bench. Our bigs - TD, TS & AK are as good as any front line in the league. Our 4th big can either be skill - Boris or Muscle - Baynes...

I love this!!!!!

DrunkTXLabrat
01-16-2013, 04:13 PM
senor spur i love your dieng idea. i wonder what draft position he'll go at. i wish the spurs would utilize the draft just a little better. they could trade back and stockpile late 1st/2nd round sleepers/picks every year. we'd never miss out on a foreigner we like and we'd always have cap room. i saw dieng hit a pretty big 3 in the tourny last year too btw. imagine that guy on the spurs, with 3 point range and a rookie contract. bye bye bonner. reminds me of nicholson from last year, man i wish we'd traded for him.

Paranoid Pop
01-16-2013, 04:47 PM

Minutes:

TD - 32 at C
TS - 16 at C, 16 at PF
KL - 32 at SF
AK - 32 at PF
Green - 32 at SG
Parker - 32 at PG

Lol at the idea of playing Manu out of position to play Danny Green 32 minutes...

That said getting Kirilenko would be awesome but I don't see it at all.

Paranoid Pop
01-16-2013, 04:49 PM
senor spur i love your dieng idea. i wonder what draft position he'll go at. i wish the spurs would utilize the draft just a little better. they could trade back and stockpile late 1st/2nd round sleepers/picks every year. we'd never miss out on a foreigner we like and we'd always have cap room. i saw dieng hit a pretty big 3 in the tourny last year too btw. imagine that guy on the spurs, with 3 point range and a rookie contract. bye bye bonner. reminds me of nicholson from last year, man i wish we'd traded for him.

It doesn't make sense for a team in win now mode to stockpile picks.

dbestpro
01-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Interesting that no one answered the question. As I read it, it asks what does it take to be a physical powerhouse. I do agree with the notion of beating the hell out of the likes of the Thunder and the Heat like the bad boys of old is not a bad way to go.

timvp
01-16-2013, 05:22 PM

Minutes:

TD - 32 at C
TS - 16 at C, 16 at PF
KL - 32 at SF
AK - 32 at PF
Green - 32 at SG
Parker - 32 at PG

I'd do that trade but I doubt Minnesota would even consider it. With Love whining about not having enough talent around him, I doubt that they will trade away AK47 -- who is probably their next most talented player. It's difficult enough as it is to get quality players to go to Minnesota in the first place; trading a good player for late draft picks makes little to no sense. Plus, Kirilenko is helping with Shved's transition, he's the best defender on a surprisingly good defensive team and his strengths (rebounding, length, changing shots) fit very well next to Love.

I'd be shocked beyond words if Minnesota just salary dumps AK47.

P.S.

Even if Kahn gets drunk and that trade happens, the Spurs would still be far from a powerhouse.

pad300
01-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Lol at the idea of playing Manu out of position to play Danny Green 32 minutes...

That said getting Kirilenko would be awesome but I don't see it at all.

You can flip the minutes between DG and Manu if you choose. Think twice though: DG is a good enough SG to play 30 or so MPG on a ring winning team (especially if he hits a hot streak at the right time); he is not a good SF at all. Manu on the other hand, can play both SG and SF effectively. You could give Kirilenko minutes at SF, but that would mean regular minutes for one of the 4 B's (Baynes/Boris/Blair/Bonner) at one of the big man slots...

pad300
01-16-2013, 05:38 PM
I'd do that trade but I doubt Minnesota would even consider it. With Love whining about not having enough talent around him, I doubt that they will trade away AK47 -- who is probably their next most talented player. It's difficult enough as it is to get quality players to go to Minnesota in the first place; trading a good player for late draft picks makes little to no sense. Plus, Kirilenko is helping with Shved's transition, he's the best defender on a surprisingly good defensive team and his strengths (rebounding, length, changing shots) fit very well next to Love.

I'd be shocked beyond words if Minnesota just salary dumps AK47.

P.S.

Even if Kahn gets drunk and that trade happens, the Spurs would still be far from a powerhouse.

According to Shamsports, Kirilenko's next year is a player option. Given he's been so good with the Wolves this year, do you think he could get more than $10,000,000/1 year on the open market this offseason? 2 Picks (2013&2015) one of which (2015) might be after Manu retires (and TD being 38!) for guy who might leave this offseason? You sure Kahn isn't going to look hard at that that?!? You might be right, but I'd sure as hell try it.

Paranoid Pop
01-16-2013, 05:48 PM
The problem is that he's a starter, and not a Blair or Green-like starter but a legit one, trading him for SJax essentially would mean they give up on the season...

That said Kirilenko is TP's friend (like a third of the nba tho...).

I think the wolves would ask Tiago and Green rather than SJax expiring with maybe Bonner as filler, that way they end up with two legit centers and two stretch PFs and the missing shooting guard they need. All of a sudden it's not as compelling for us tho... I'd still do it because I don't have that much faith in the players we'd send in this scenario and because we have a center on the way in Baynes.

Paranoid Pop
01-16-2013, 05:55 PM
I think a TP KY Diaw Kirilenko Duncan lineup could play some fantastic basketball tbh.

pad300
01-16-2013, 05:57 PM
The problem is that he's a starter, and not a Blair or Green-like starter but a legit one, trading him for SJax essentially would mean they give up on the season...

That said Kirilenko is TP's friend (like a third of the nba tho...).

I think the wolves would ask Tiago and Green rather than SJax expiring with maybe Bonner as filler, that way they end up with two legit centers and two stretch PFs and the missing shooting guard they need. All of a sudden it's not as compelling for us tho... I'd still do it because I don't have that much faith in the players we'd send in this scenario and because we have a center on the way in Baynes.

Oh, if the wolves think they can make the playoffs, they won't trade Kirilenko. However, I expect that, by the trade deadline, it'll be obvious that they are not making the playoffs. At that point, the wolves have to ask themselves if AK-47 is going to stay. There are lots of teams with potential cap space http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-wholl-have-salary-cap-space-in-2013/ , and AK-47 has never had a ring shot worth a damn... Unless Minny pulls off something awesome over the summer, he's not getting one with them.

I will also disagree with you - I wouldn't do it if the price were Splitter and Green. 2 Starters to add one? At spots (particularly SG) where we have very limited depth? Not worth the potential chemistry complications.

AussieFanKurt
01-16-2013, 06:24 PM
whens he playing his first game?

hater
01-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Given that there's about 7 physical bigmen left in the league. I don't think ever, unless Stern retires and old school ball makes a comeback.

DrunkTXLabrat
01-16-2013, 06:39 PM
It doesn't make sense for a team in win now mode to stockpile picks.

i don't think you understood my concept. i'm not talking about trading jacksons expiring or something. take our late 1st this year and turn it into an early 2nd. draft and stash as usual or take a sleeper, and get a bonus 2nd or protected 1st for next season. then flip that bonus pick the next season in a similar fashion. what does win now mode have to do with that? it's a patriots-esque draft philosophy aimed at creating a powerhouse team. if anything win now mode is better off. there would be a sleeper rookie on the bench worth looking at, a stashed foreigner, a bonus pick in the next draft to use however, and all of it at the cost of moving out of guaranteed money territory. there'd be more fa money for win now mode fa signings.

Spur|n|Austin
01-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Powerhouse and San Antonio in the same sentence?

aal04
01-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Im secretly hoping for Gasol .

hes amazing value. I dont think hes playing bad, i just think hes very coachable and hes being played severely out of position (as in Parker at C out of position)

LA needs decent roleplayers, we have them in spades, especially around the back court.
We need a solid big. Gasol can play with fellow countryman Splitter.

Swap him for 3-4 roleplayers. (non td/tp/manu/splitt/sjax/kaw players)

its win win.

DPG21920
01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Damn! timvp is a negative hater! Not a true Spurs fan!!!!

exstatic
01-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Im secretly hoping for Gasol .

hes amazing value. I dont think hes playing bad, i just think hes very coachable and hes being played severely out of position (as in Parker at C out of position)

LA needs decent roleplayers, we have them in spades, especially around the back court.
We need a solid big. Gasol can play with fellow countryman Splitter.

Swap him for 3-4 roleplayers. (non td/tp/manu/splitt/sjax/kaw players)

its win win.

Pau makes a ton of money. At a minimum, you'd HAVE to send out ALL of Jack, Bonner, and Diaw to even get close to matching salary.

TrainOfThought5
01-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Pau makes a ton of money. At a minimum, you'd HAVE to send out ALL of Jack, Bonner, and Diaw to even get close to matching salary.

Diaw has right to refuse trade if im not mistaken

and it seems Pau is getting a little injury prone as well.

exstatic
01-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Diaw has right to refuse trade if im not mistaken

and it seems Pau is getting a little injury prone as well.

Diaw does not have a no trade clause. I think there are only two or three in the whole league. Kobe is one of them.

Andthentherewas21
01-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Diaw does not have a no trade clause. I think there are only two or three in the whole league. Kobe is one of them.

Since he and Mills are basically on 1 year deals (the 2nd year is a player option) they have the right to refuse any trade. I think its one year Bird rights or something, I can't remember off the top of my head. But only about 15 players have that option this season.

Update: (found the article) http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/january/a-few-spurs-have-the-power-to-veto-trades.html

TrainOfThought5
01-16-2013, 11:24 PM
After we land Baynes, the next step is Tiago playing like a grown man on the boards and demolish physical teams before Jack stares into the souls of opponents before launching rainmaking threes.

seriously tho, if we can get positive consistency out of role players, and solve the backup PG problem, we WILL be a powerhouse if Baynes is a + REB/DEF asset. a favorite in the west at LEAST

TrainOfThought5
01-16-2013, 11:27 PM

Tsk tsk tsk, I'm disappointed in you, BNSF.....

LOL jk. :toast

McGusto55
01-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Manu and tim .to be In their 20s...

biskvito
01-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Watch out for Fab Melo in a year or two, he's making progress in D-League and the team is built around him, everyone plays for him. Great blocking instincts, good hands, good shooting mechanics, and he's huge... what he needs is mileage of basketball but he's getting 30min per game at Maine Red Claws... It's still a patience game, but he's in the right place now and improving.

maverick1948
01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
:wow 30-11 at mid season and everyone on here has trade idea to make the Spurs a contender. What the hell are we? Losers? You got you wish another big man and no Bonner or Blair in meaningful games. The only way Spurs make a trade from now till the trade deadline is if a major player comes available cheap or a future player with hoops is made available by an 8th seed playoff team trying to make a run at the playoffs. Most of you on here have no idea how the CBA works on trades. You cant trade consecutive years 1st round picks. It is the Cleveland rule from many years back. On top of that, is AK47 worth giving up SJAX and a 1st round pick? Zur Hölle, nein. Hell nej. Means the same in any language.