PDA

View Full Version : Mark Stein of ESPN reports Spurs may go after Oberto

TheTruth
07-01-2005, 03:52 AM
Mark Stein
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2098374&num=2

For the teams that met in the Western Conference finals, the first goal in free agency is dealing with their own commodities. For Phoenix, that means reaching terms with (or matching any offer extended to) restricted free agent Joe Johnson and signing Amare Stoudemire to a contract extension. For San Antonio, it's determining whether its $4.9 million salary-cap exception is sufficiently roomy to re-sign playoff hero Robert Horry and extricate Argentine power forward Luis Scola from his Spanish League contract. If the cost to import Scola for next season is too high, another possibility for the Spurs is Scola's countryman (and Stein Line favorite) Fabricio Oberto.
If they are unsuccesful in getting Scola, and did sign Oberto would that mean one of the other ctrs gets moved? I don't see the Spurs going into the season with 3 true ctrs that can't play PF.

xcoriate
07-01-2005, 03:57 AM
Oberto can play some PF can't he?

Horry For 3!
07-01-2005, 03:59 AM
Ohh, I remember Oberto from the Olympics. He was alright but not as good as Scola.

timvp
07-01-2005, 04:00 AM
I'm not sure why the Spurs would have problem buying out Scola. I know Spanish teams are hard to deal with but if the Spurs give him a $6-9M deal, it should work out.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Oberto can play some PF can't he?

He's 6'9 I think. So I don't think he'd be a C in the NBA.

TheTruth
07-01-2005, 04:04 AM
With the amount of money Scola is going to have to pay to buy out his Spanish contract mabye he will ask the Spurs for more than they are willing to pay.

AFE7FATMAN
07-01-2005, 04:04 AM
This maybe CIA Pop

We could get both and If that means Horry goes and Nazr is not far behind I think Pop will pull the trigger, however I want Horry back.

TheTruth
07-01-2005, 04:11 AM
I don't see Pop letting Horry get away. He should sign Horry before he signs Scola IMO.

constantstate
07-01-2005, 04:13 AM
the scouting report at draft city (from 2004) listed him as 6'10" and he'd probably be perfect coming in for both nazr and duncan. it also said we were interested in him... even back then.

second guy on the list.

draftcity (http://www.draftcity.com/viewarticle.php?a=58)

TheTruth
07-01-2005, 04:29 AM
the scouting report at draft city (from 2004) listed him as 6'10" and he'd probably be perfect coming in for both nazr and duncan. it also said we were interested in him... even back then.

second guy on the list.

draftcity (http://www.draftcity.com/viewarticle.php?a=58)
Cool, nice find.

It says he shoots less than 50% from the FT line, which makes him a perfect fit in S.A. It also says he is a combo PF/C which is perfect if we can't get Scola.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2005, 07:56 AM
The more likely scenario is for the Spurs to extend Nazr, sign Horry, Scola, and Oberto, and shop Rasho.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Columnists who cover the NBA need to learn more about the salary cap. Horry's an Early Bird rights free agent, so the Spurs don't have to use any portion of their MLE to re-sign him. They will be able to offer him a contract with the MLE as the maximum starting annual salary for next season.

Same for Devin Brown.

The only "sharing" of the MLE could occur between Scola and Oberto. Oberto is intriguing, but I think he only joins the Spurs should they lose a bigman via trade or free agency.

Also of note is that the Spurs have the LLE ($1.6 million). They could potentially sign Oberto or Scola to that and then have the full MLE to use for other purposes.

The one question that this forum hasn't really touched on directly is: will Holt Cat et al open up the coffers this summer? So far everyone seems to be assuming that the Spurs will:

Re-sign Horry (est $4 mil starting salary)
Re-sign DBrown (est $3 mil)
Sign Scola (est $2 mil)
Extend Mohammed (est $8 mil starting in 2006-07)
Use their full MLE & LLE ($4.9 mil & 1.6 mil respectively)
Retain Linton Johnson ($700K)

Lest we forget that Tony Parker's extension starts next season. That'll be a significant bump up ($6 mil or so) from his rookie contract that was paying him $1 mil or whatever.

All of that adds up. Paul Allen doesn't own the Spurs. Cablevision doesn't own the Spurs.

TheTruth
07-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Does Horry qualify for the Early Bird rights? His option wasn't picked up last year, so that might void his EB rights.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Does Horry qualify for the Early Bird rights? His option wasn't picked up last year, so that might void his EB rights.

It won't, starting today. The Spurs have his Early Bird rights now.

Solid D
07-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Oberto is normally listed at 6'-10". He's 2.08m at the ACB site.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php%3Fid%3D24725&prev=/search%3Fq%3DACB%2BOberto%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26biw% 3D892

He'll get a contract somewhere in the NBA this season.

gus
07-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Do not forget that in Europe measurement is done without shoes.

Gus

Solid D
07-01-2005, 11:13 AM
If they are unsuccesful in getting Scola, and did sign Oberto would that mean one of the other ctrs gets moved? I don't see the Spurs going into the season with 3 true ctrs that can't play PF.

He's a very versatile Big. He plays in the Flex offense with Argentina's NT.

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Oberto, from all acounts, isnt a true center. He is more of a PF. However, he is big enough he could steal minutes at the C position.

CaptainLate
07-01-2005, 11:19 AM
The one question that this forum hasn't really touched on directly is: will Holt Cat et al open up the coffers this summer? So far everyone seems to be assuming that the Spurs will:

Re-sign Horry (est $4 mil starting salary)
Re-sign DBrown (est $3 mil)
Sign Scola (est $2 mil)
Extend Mohammed (est $8 mil starting in 2006-07)
Use their full MLE & LLE ($4.9 mil & 1.6 mil respectively)
Retain Linton Johnson ($700K)

All of that adds up. Paul Allen doesn't own the Spurs. Cablevision doesn't own the Spurs.

This team could win 3-5 more championships during the Duncan era if we had a Paul Allen or Mark Cuban like owner. How do we find one? I'm tired of having small-time owners with a big league franchise. Maybe Red would like to buy back the team with some of the $600mil he just made off the Vikings.

constantstate
07-01-2005, 11:52 AM
paul allen = crazy
mark cuban = crazy and fruity

red invented the word frugal. what did he buy the vikings for.. like 2 dollars? sold them for close to a billion. but i would love to see him or someone spend to keep these guys here... all this hard work to find great talent.

i dont see that devin is a lock to be back... nor linton... and if scola's buyout is 2mil and they want him that bad... they're gonna play him. so one dude will definately be out of the rotation.

wildbill2u
07-01-2005, 12:18 PM
I think it may come down to Scola or Horry because of the total dollars, not the precise method of payment or exceptions available. Either way would make a lot of folks on this site unhappy.

CaptainLate
07-01-2005, 12:29 PM
I think it may come down to Scola or Horry because of the total dollars, not the precise method of payment or exceptions available. Either way would make a lot of folks on this site unhappy.

Another thread says Horry is considering Miami. I don't believe it. He already said during the year he never really considered them because of location. His agent says Horry wants to be back. I figure he didn't exercise his option because he wants more than the $1.1mil he would have received. He also has said he wants to play 2 more years. I'm betting he thinks two more years with the Spurs will give him the best chance to pass Jordan in rings and that it will just take a little more $$ to get him. Maybe $1.1 this year and a bigger piece of the pie for year 2.

And we can still get Scola to help ease Horry's minutes during the regular season to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

constantstate
07-01-2005, 12:36 PM

they have alot of flex room dont they? i think horry's contract could be spread over 3 years. scola's buyout is tough though. (if its at 2mil) they might just bring in a quick fix 4 for this year, and wait for scola one more year? then theres always trades that can lower the overall payroll... etc.

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Well at this point having Horry for next season is much more important than bringing over Scola now. Scola can wait another year if he has to.

Horry is a must keep, especially if he goes to another team like the Heat. Scola would be a bonus, but is not desperately needed.

Mark in Austin
07-01-2005, 01:02 PM
There's a difference between reporting and speculating. Steon sites no inside sources on this... looks to me like this is just a guess of his. (Hell, maybe he came up with it after reading posts here.)

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 01:03 PM
I have a question (for whoever) .. I know Scola's buyout is around $2M right now. Will it be the same next summer? How long is he under contract there?

MannyIsGod
07-01-2005, 01:04 PM
I thought his contract was up next summer, so next summer he could come over with no buyout.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2005, 01:05 PM
I thought his contract was up next summer,

I always thought it was up in 2007 (or 2008). That's why I'm asking.

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Ya, I am pretty sure it is not up next year.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
07-01-2005, 01:10 PM
This team could win 3-5 more championships during the Duncan era if we had a Paul Allen or Mark Cuban like owner. How do we find one? I'm tired of having small-time owners with a big league franchise. Maybe Red would like to buy back the team with some of the $600mil he just made off the Vikings.
I have news for you. This team could win 3-5 more titles in the Duncan Era regardless of the owner. That's the beauty of the NBA system----a small market team can be competitive, as long as it spends its money wisely.
I'd take Peter Holt over any of those guys. What have Cuban and Allen done to put their franchises over the top? For all the "extra" money Cuban has lying around, he let Steve Nash walk away to a Conference Rival.

MannyIsGod
07-01-2005, 01:12 PM
I could very well be wrong then, but thats the impression I was under.

kolko
07-01-2005, 02:52 PM
I think his contract finishes next year. He signed it in 1996 for 10 years.

gus
07-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Next year is free.

THis year is around 2M.-

Gus

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Hmm...Makes you wonder if they just might leave him over their in Europe. I really think he could help and be a big part of this coming season. However, signing Robert Horry has to be priority uno.

timvp
07-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Next year is free.

THis year is around 2M.-

Gus

Should the Spurs wait one more year?

Hmmmm.

diego
07-01-2005, 04:14 PM
by the same token, tau is more likely to facilitate him coming over now, because if he doesn't he'll just leave next year and they wont get squat