PDA

View Full Version : Splitter wasnt tough they said

freetiago
01-17-2013, 01:47 AM
Splitter cant hit free throws they said
Splitter is too injury prone they said
Splitter cant play big minutes they said

Past 5 games
11 pts/7.4 rebounds/1.6 Assists/1.2 Steals/1.2 Blocks on 68% from the field and 87% from the free throw line in only 28 minutes
Spur fan better enjoy it while it lasts
hes leaving in the off season tbh per par

spurraider21
01-17-2013, 01:56 AM
he's a restricted free agent, and he'll stay here. probably will get a contract similar to asik.
the guy obviously CAN be a physical presence and a stout defender. i'd love to see it night in and night out, but he does tend to have his soft nights. past couple of performances against memphis have been encouraging though

racm
01-17-2013, 02:27 AM
Spurs can match any offer... not like he'll be Hibbert 2.0 we hope...

Trainwreck2100
01-17-2013, 02:32 AM
At least he dunked tonight

Paranoid Pop
01-17-2013, 02:35 AM
He also averages something like 4 of his own shots blocked by game and chocked and got hacked last year.

The elephant in the room is that Diaw is playing better than him or Green the other trade bait so we should really pull a Ghill and trade him while it's time instead of overpaying.

freetiago
01-17-2013, 02:38 AM
Even if they can match I doubt they would if he gets somewhere in the 10 million range
they wont get a better return this year for splitter
it could be possible to get a lottery pick
in the best case scenario they get someone like marcin gortat or a disgruntled josh smith
more likely they get some roleplayers and picks

Brunodf
01-17-2013, 02:46 AM
http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b436/ElectricDragon_2010/Funny/AndHereWeGoJoker.gif

Mal
01-17-2013, 03:21 AM
Always had faith in this guy.

Tuddy
01-17-2013, 03:21 AM
The passive play was due more to the referee's tbh. The Europeans cop a lot of bullshit phantom calls their first few years.

therealtruth
01-17-2013, 03:39 AM
It would be great if this could have happened two years ago. He would be much better by now.

KL2
01-17-2013, 03:42 AM
Since you made this thread it's guaransheed Splitter will get injured very soon.

TrainOfThought5
01-17-2013, 03:42 AM
I'd like to see him continue this play and show CONSISTENCY. hell, Danny Green has strung 5 good games together. Consistency is key if hes going to be > Role Player and help LEAD us to a championship.

with that being said, he was a grown man on the boards tonight, finished STRONG at the rim and even had a good block or two. Going against the quality big men of Memphis I was impressed. but Ive never gotten too high or too low on Splitter and I wont until he shows he can sustain this play over the long haul.

TrainOfThought5
01-17-2013, 03:44 AM
Since you made this thread it's guaransheed Splitter will get injured very soon.

*Performs the circle circle poke poke, anti cooties reverse jinx*

RudyRay
01-17-2013, 09:33 AM
He has talent...can you imagine how good he'd be if he grew one nut? Dude is very soft.

bigfan
01-17-2013, 09:51 AM
The guy is still young and will improve over the next few years. Id like to keep him around.

MANUNG-Ginobili
01-17-2013, 09:54 AM
hope that he will still be with us next season, he's proving now that he can be a serviceable at his position..

rmt
01-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Some of you must think that 7 footers who play the pick and roll to perfection and who aren't head cases grow on trees. I think we're all spoiled by Duncan.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-17-2013, 10:04 AM
He also averages something like 4 of his own shots blocked by game and chocked and got hacked last year.

The elephant in the room is that Diaw is playing better than him or Green the other trade bait so we should really pull a Ghill and trade him while it's time instead of overpaying.

Nice story. I like making up stuff too from time to time too.

biskvito
01-17-2013, 10:48 AM
I'd like to see him continue this play and show CONSISTENCY. hell, Danny Green has strung 5 good games together. Consistency is key if hes going to be > Role Player and help LEAD us to a championship.

with that being said, he was a grown man on the boards tonight, finished STRONG at the rim and even had a good block or two. Going against the quality big men of Memphis I was impressed. but Ive never gotten too high or too low on Splitter and I wont until he shows he can sustain this play over the long haul.

I think not many players will be consistent without consistent playing time. This is the first season Splitter is getting green light from Pop. Tiago used to be the man in his European team but until last season in the NBA the only consistency he got from Pop was the hook when he made a mistake. Once a player is lucky enough to have the coach's support he gains confidence and improves.

silverblk mystix
01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Playing time. What a genius move by a genius coach. What other coach in the NBA but POP would have thought of giving a 7 footer some court time?

Absolutely genius and we are damn lucky to have this coach.

Here I thought that Matt Bonner was the end-all be-all of Spurs ball for the past few years. How stupid of me.

rascal
01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Splitter will let you down in the big playoff games. You just wait and see.

TrainOfThought5
01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Splitter will let you down in the big playoff games. You just wait and see.

you should make this a thread prediction so i can bump it and laugh at you later.

phxspurfan
01-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Splitter isn't naturally tough, but he's learning. Good coaching can help that. He's a legit 6'11" though so that's good to start. Maybe he can bulk up a little more too so he doesn't go all Gumby whenever anyone bumps him in the post.

rascal
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
you should make this a thread prediction so i can bump it and laugh at you later.

Laugh now, cry later. This place was full of cry babies when the spurs got beat last year, expecting the same this year.

rmt
01-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Laugh now, cry later. This place was full of cry babies when the spurs got beat last year, expecting the same this year.

They probably will get beat again this year, but it won't be because Splitter was played instead of Bonner or Blair.

TrainOfThought5
01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
They probably will get beat again this year, but it won't be because Splitter was played instead of Bonner or Blair.

i think Pop will figure out this backup Point guard situation.

Manufan909
01-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Nice story. I like making up stuff too from time to time too.

This. Paranoid Pop loves to hate on Splitter every chance he gets, and usually makes up shit to do so, whilst never mentioning any of Splitter's many positives.

Manufan909
01-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Splitter isn't naturally tough, but he's learning. Good coaching can help that. He's a legit 6'11" though so that's good to start. Maybe he can bulk up a little more too so he doesn't go all Gumby whenever anyone bumps him in the post.

Adding 30 lbs over the next couple years would do wonders for him. Heck, I think he needs to gain 10-15 lbs just to get back to his weight from last season.

urunobili
01-17-2013, 02:00 PM
:wakeup

DapDaGenius
01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Splitter cant hit free throws they said
Splitter is too injury prone they said
Splitter cant play big minutes they said

Past 5 games
11 pts/7.4 rebounds/1.6 Assists/1.2 Steals/1.2 Blocks on 68% from the field and 87% from the free throw line in only 28 minutes

I thought people said those things b/c they were, for the most part, true at some point...

Jumi
01-17-2013, 03:28 PM
I just checked the stats from last year's WCF. Bonner played more minutes that Tiago!! Damn!!!!!

freetiago
01-17-2013, 04:00 PM
I thought people said those things b/c they were, for the most part, true at some point...

Popovich would never play Splitter and would make up excuses like that to justify it
now that hes gotten the chance hes proven its not true
and he hit free throws at 70% last year and anything above 50% these days for a center is acceptable sadly
Tim has a career average of 69% btw

TheSkeptic
01-17-2013, 04:21 PM
This. Paranoid Pop loves to hate on Splitter every chance he gets, and usually makes up shit to do so, whilst never mentioning any of Splitter's many positives.

I think it's because Paranoid Pop likes Diaw and feels like he isn't being given a fair shake. Since he views Splitter as the reason why Diaw isn't getting the recognition he deserves, that's where he's directing his criticism. I'd say it's like us and Blair/Bonner except that most of us wanted Bonner off the team before Splitter got to SA and then started getting mad when Pop kept playing them.

But anyway, PP doesn't yet seem to agree with folks like myself and well...everybody else that TD/Splitter is the frontcourt tandem with the highest ceiling. What I really like about it is that Splitter's a true number 2 big in that he can step up when TD's not there like he did against Miami and in most of the games he's played without Duncan going back to his rookie season. Of course we can't afford for TD to fall off a cliff or anything like that, but there's more margin for error since they can cover for each other on defense and the boards. Tbh I just don't see a TD/Diaw frontcourt being enough to vaunt the Spurs over a team like OKC for instance. Diaw's a talented player but he's undersized as a big.

That said, Spurs will need both Splitter and Diaw to play well in the post-season.

Adding 30 lbs over the next couple years would do wonders for him. Heck, I think he needs to gain 10-15 lbs just to get back to his weight from last season.

I think the weight he lost this offseason might be contributing to his health this season. I get where you're coming from though and I think the weight loss really shows in his post game. Last season he could back his man down without a problem but needed practice to get better at finishing with his back to the basket. This year he gets pushed off his spots too easily and while it looks like he's learned how to bang in the paint at his new weight, he seems to have more trouble backing people down unless they're guards. :/

A 10-20 foot jumpshot is probably his best shot at taking his game to the next level in the NBA if he doesn't put more weight on.

hater
01-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Once thing is for sure. Splitter if healthy will bring more in the playoffs than Bonner/Blair. ANy idiot who talks shit about Splitter and playoffs must have missed the last 4-5 years of SPurs playoff games.

Paranoid Pop
01-17-2013, 04:53 PM
I think it's because Paranoid Pop likes Diaw and feels like he isn't being given a fair shake. Since he views Splitter as the reason why Diaw isn't getting the recognition he deserves, that's where he's directing his criticism. I'd say it's like us and Blair/Bonner except that most of us wanted Bonner off the team before Splitter got to SA and then started getting mad when Pop kept playing them.

But anyway, PP doesn't yet seem to agree with folks like myself and well...everybody else that TD/Splitter is the frontcourt tandem with the highest ceiling. What I really like about it is that Splitter's a true number 2 big in that he can step up when TD's not there like he did against Miami and in most of the games he's played without Duncan going back to his rookie season. Of course we can't afford for TD to fall off a cliff or anything like that, but there's more margin for error since they can cover for each other on defense and the boards. Tbh I just don't see a TD/Diaw frontcourt being enough to vaunt the Spurs over a team like OKC for instance. Diaw's a talented player but he's undersized as a big.

That said, Spurs will need both Splitter and Diaw to play well in the post-season.

While I like Diaw a lot more than Splitter, the way he performed at the beginning of the season I think it was fair that he lost his starting job... If only Pop could be as quick to try someone else in place of Danny "I can't even dunk" Green who played just as bad as Boris at the same time basically... I think Tiago is a good player but his ceiling and off the ball game don't compare to Boris, that said for the first unit he might be a better fit.

spurraider21
01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Playing time. What a genius move by a genius coach. What other coach in the NBA but POP would have thought of giving a 7 footer some court time?

Absolutely genius and we are damn lucky to have this coach.

Here I thought that Matt Bonner was the end-all be-all of Spurs ball for the past few years. How stupid of me.
list a head coach you'd rather have than Popovich.

silverblk mystix
01-17-2013, 04:59 PM
list a head coach you'd rather have than Popovich.

There isn't one. Pop is God. Who cares if the last 5 seasons the Spurs choked and Pop played his fave players -it is only a game.

DapDaGenius
01-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Popovich would never play Splitter and would make up excuses like that to justify it
now that hes gotten the chance hes proven its not true
and he hit free throws at 70% last year and anything above 50% these days for a center is acceptable sadly
Tim has a career average of 69% btw

Those things were true for the time he was playing back then, he just needed more time to adjust and become better. Hopefully he'll stay consistent so people don't go back to saying that. lol

SanDiegoSpursFan
01-17-2013, 05:22 PM
There isn't one. Pop is God. Who cares if the last 5 seasons the Spurs choked and Pop played his fave players -it is only a game.
good job dodging the question

look_at_g_shred
01-17-2013, 05:48 PM
I just checked the stats from last year's WCF. Bonner played more minutes that Tiago!! Damn!!!!!

How many more?

skin
01-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Past 5 games

IMO he needs to improve a lot on boards. Less than 8 rebounds per game for a 7 footer is far from good.

slick'81
01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
drago is ballin glad the dude finally running next to timmy

spurraider21
01-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Dodging questions like a boss. Name a coach you prefer over pop. I mean really pop sucks. Just plays his favorite players right? So name a coach is rather have or stop mindlessly trolling

freetiago
01-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Coach Bud wouldnt be bad tbh
Pop can become GM again

silverblk mystix
01-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Dodging questions like a boss. Name a coach you prefer over pop. I mean really pop sucks. Just plays his favorite players right? So name a coach is rather have or stop mindlessly trolling

This question is stupid and does not need to be answered. Stop asking stupid questions and you won't feel that anyone is dodging them.

Pop fucked up.Period.

Does he need to be replaced. I don't know. It isn't up to me. Why am I going to indulge a stupid question when it is unnecessary?

People fuck up. Pop fucked up. People need to be held accountable. Does he need to be fired? I don't know. Possibly. Possibly not.

spurraider21
01-17-2013, 07:42 PM
This question is stupid and does not need to be answered. Stop asking stupid questions and you won't feel that anyone is dodging them.

Pop fucked up.Period.

Does he need to be replaced. I don't know. It isn't up to me. Why am I going to indulge a stupid question when it is unnecessary?

People fuck up. Pop fucked up. People need to be held accountable. Does he need to be fired? I don't know. Possibly. Possibly not.
You have an entire thread about how bad pop is. You come here and rag on pop. When the best makes a mistake u live with it. If mj missed a game winner I don't think bulls fans made threads like "to all you Jordan fanboys..."

silverblk mystix
01-17-2013, 08:07 PM
You have an entire thread about how bad pop is. You come here and rag on pop. When the best makes a mistake u live with it. If mj missed a game winner I don't think bulls fans made threads like "to all you Jordan fanboys..."

So live with it. I think Pop is a good to sometimes great coach. I think Pop sometimes fucks up and should be called on it. Live with it and stop whining about my opinions.

You are wrong about Bulls fans. Every team has fans that critizise and fans that just agree with everything the team/coach/stars do.

pgardn
01-17-2013, 10:46 PM
Splitter is tougher than 100 duck-sized horses.

KaiRMD1
01-17-2013, 11:53 PM
Splitter has improved, I've gotta admit. Come playoff time, gonna need him to pull his weight and do the dirty work. I wonder how Baynes is gona fit in, if he's really good he may have a Tiago Splitter type of road to decent NBA ball playing

xellos88330
01-18-2013, 02:11 AM
Splitter has improved, I've gotta admit. Come playoff time, gonna need him to pull his weight and do the dirty work. I wonder how Baynes is gona fit in, if he's really good he may have a Tiago Splitter type of road to decent NBA ball playing

Splitter most likely won't be playing alongside Baynes much. From what I have gleaned from various articles/scouting reports of Aron, he is mostly an close to the basket player just like Splitter is. It would clog up the driving lanes pretty bad having those two on offense together. It is the same problem with Blair and why everyone here would be less upset with him if he at least had a reliable jumper. If Splitter and Baynes were on the court together it would have to be strictly for defensive purposes. Duncan and Splitter are the starters, Diaw and Baynes the backups. Duncan can hit the 17ft shot rather consistently so Splitter has more room to operate. Diaw can also hit the outside shot and at the same time create space and opportunites for Baynes to work down low. I am pretty sure that behind the scenes Brett Brown has already been working with him and grooming him for the Spurs' style of play and how he would fit. The learning curve might not be as steep for him, so hopefully he could be ready by the playoffs.

ElNono
01-18-2013, 02:25 AM
The main criticisms with Splitter are poor finishing (he misses unbelievable layups often, and most of the time he should've just dunked that shit) and not playing tough all the time (even though he has the tools to).

At least his freebies seem to have improved enough where you feel hack-a-Splitter won't make a reappearance this time around.

jimbo
01-18-2013, 03:07 AM
nevermind, it's already been addressed in the topic

capek
01-18-2013, 03:44 AM
I've gotta say, while I always liked Splitter, after the last four or five games I'm really starting to love his game. You can tell he's really taking his insertion into the starting line up seriously, he's just playing with this level of toughness that I honestly didn't think he had in him. I imagine, in his mind, it's all coming together. He came over with the goal of being the starting center on a possible championship team. Now that he's achieved that goal, the only one left is to be the starting center on a Championship team. He seems to recognize that, and has stepped up his game to "National Team Level."

Speaking of which, so the Spurs get so much praise for being "geniuses" at international scouting. But it seems to me like all they do is watch National team games at qualifiers and Olympics prep games etc, note the 1-2 best players on the team, then offer them a reasonable contract using, for a sales pitch, the promise of getting to develop their game with the best, most stable, franchise in the NBA. That's basically it, right? Australia, France, Argentina, Brazil, Slovenia (meh), are all teams we've nabbed top guys from. Where can I submit a resume for that gig? Gotta be the easiest and cushiest job ever.

Spurs da champs
01-18-2013, 04:01 AM
Splitter wasn't tough, now he's recently grown a pair & has played a tough style of basketball, especially against the Grizzlies which is a big positive!

100%duncan
01-18-2013, 06:01 AM
He's not.

maverick1948
01-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Everybody complains about Tiago's minutes over the last two years. Most of you forget that he missed the whole training camp as a rookie, putting him way behind on his learning curve. By the end of the season, he was getting more minutes but not huge minutes. Then in his second season, he was caught in the lockout. NO training camp. Again, he was having to learn on the fly. Two seasons-no training camp. Training camp is where you learn the system, not in games or a practice session every few days. Year two was hard on the regulars, much less someone still learning. Look at what he has done with a full training camp this season.

TrainOfThought5
01-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Everybody complains about Tiago's minutes over the last two years. Most of you forget that he missed the whole training camp as a rookie, putting him way behind on his learning curve. By the end of the season, he was getting more minutes but not huge minutes. Then in his second season, he was caught in the lockout. NO training camp. Again, he was having to learn on the fly. Two seasons-no training camp. Training camp is where you learn the system, not in games or a practice session every few days. Year two was hard on the regulars, much less someone still learning. Look at what he has done with a full training camp this season.

this would be a fine excuse except for the fact that Kawhi didnt have one either, coupled with playing a new position, plus having Zero professional basketball playing experience. and he started, and played well. and wasnt soft.

silverblk mystix
01-18-2013, 01:48 PM
this would be a fine excuse except for the fact that Kawhi didnt have one either, coupled with playing a new position, plus having Zero professional basketball playing experience. and he started, and played well. and wasnt soft.

freetiago
01-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Spurs "system" is stand in the corner and launch 3s after tim/tony/manu create something for you
a few plays where you set a screen/backscreen and move around if your a guard

Bigs just set high screens and roll to the basket and if youre Tim you pop out
doesnt take 3 years for a player to learn that tbh
theyve been running the same defensive scheme for years too
this year is more like the older spurs days where they funneled defenders into Tim and ran guys off the 3 line

Two10Whitey
01-18-2013, 04:35 PM
I thought the Euroleague was more physical than the NBA? At least that's what I've heard.. Anyways, a fly can land on Splitters head and he would fall back about a foot. They need him to hit the weight room during the summer or something. At least he's playing better than Blair though.. If he wasn't we'd be in deep shit.

ace3g
01-18-2013, 04:39 PM
I thought the Euroleague was more physical than the NBA? At least that's what I've heard.. Anyways, a fly can land on Splitters head and he would fall back about a foot. They need him to hit the weight room during the summer or something. At least he's playing better than Blair though.. If he wasn't we'd be in deep shit.

He actually lost weight this summer, in part to prevent him from getting injured. So far (knock on wood) he hasn't had any lingering injuries.

Two10Whitey
01-18-2013, 04:46 PM
That makes sense. He just looks frail in the paint. It's like he can't handled being fouled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVLwMHv3DCU

TheSkeptic
01-19-2013, 12:11 AM
While I like Diaw a lot more than Splitter, the way he performed at the beginning of the season I think it was fair that he lost his starting job... If only Pop could be as quick to try someone else in place of Danny "I can't even dunk" Green who played just as bad as Boris at the same time basically... I think Tiago is a good player but his ceiling and off the ball game don't compare to Boris, that said for the first unit he might be a better fit.

Fair enough. The way I see it, Diaw's still getting minutes and he's closed quite a bit this season. I guess I just don't view it as a demotion. But like you I think the big rotation is about where it should be with the Spurs getting off to great defensive starts and Diaw coming to help with ball movement and spacing.

I'm starting to agree on benching Green (I'm always in favour of starting Manu) but more because the backup pg situation is reaching crisis levels in my opinion. Assuming Pop opts to play NDC or CoJo until a trade happens, I think that Green should be the backcourt running mate for defensive purposes. Unlike Neal or Mills, Green might miss shots but he won't be the one handling the ball or wasting possessions and I think there's more flexibility there defensively because Green seems to be pretty good with pgs.

Btw, tonight's game looks like it was an example of what I was talking about. TD got into foul trouble and Splitter kinda filled in until he got back in the second half. ;)

ace3g
01-19-2013, 12:21 AM
“Tiago Splitter … was fantastic,” Popovich said. “He’s just been hurt a good portion of the time he’s been here and hasn’t had a chance to play consistent minutes. But he’s played like this all over the world. People are finally getting to see him healthy.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/01/18/aussie-center-reportedly-on-his-way/

freetiago
01-19-2013, 12:28 AM
Vintage Pop
couldnt get consistent minutes because the turds and old mcdyess had to get them
"It's only fair to the team" :pop:

Brunodf
01-19-2013, 12:30 AM
“Tiago Splitter … was fantastic,” Popovich said. “He’s just been hurt a good portion of the time he’s been here and hasn’t had a chance to play consistent minutes. But he’s played like this all over the world. People are finally getting to see him healthy.”http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/01/18/aussie-center-reportedly-on-his-way/

Pop the troll master

TDMVPDPOY
01-19-2013, 12:47 AM
i dont think u need to be tough to win championships...look at rasho for example...

rmt
01-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Sure, Pop, that must be some injury to last so long. I've been saying it from day 1 - you should have been giving Splitter 30+ minutes instead of the Twin Turds. Imagine how much better he'd be now and how much less wear and tear on TD.

therealtruth
01-19-2013, 01:11 AM
Sure, Pop, that must be some injury to last so long. I've been saying it from day 1 - you should have been giving Splitter 30+ minutes instead of the Twin Turds. Imagine how much better he'd be now and how much less wear and tear on TD.

Wasted two years of TD to give more minutes to Bonner/Blair. Even Dice said that Splitter should start back on day 1. He would have been further along if he had been starting and Dice had been helping as a vet of the bench. Could probably have also helped extend Dice's career. Randolph likely doesn't destroy us in the playoffs with Splitter starting and we probably win the championship.

TJastal
01-19-2013, 04:54 AM
Wasted two years of TD to give more minutes to Bonner/Blair. Even Dice said that Splitter should start back on day 1. He would have been further along if he had been starting and Dice had been helping as a vet of the bench. Could probably have also helped extend Dice's career. Randolph likely doesn't destroy us in the playoffs with Splitter starting and we probably win the championship.

+1

McDyess also always vigorously asserted he was most comfortable to come off the bench since day one, but regardless of that I don't doubt for an instant he was giving an honest assessment of Splitter's ability. In the few rare instances Pop had McDyess and Blair on the court together, I always thought they made a great combo chemistry-wise. McDyess with the spacing plus both could crash the offensive glass back then. Unfortunately Pop was always too hung up on getting Boner into the rotation to either notice or care about anything else. Which always caused other problems, esp in that playoff matchup vs the grizzlies. Bottom line is Boner should have had the role he plays now all along and the spurs might be toting another trophy or two in their display case.

Danny.Zhu
01-19-2013, 05:43 AM

PingPong
01-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Pop spent two years doing something very important. Showing to Splitter who's the boss, stablishing the hierarchy as in the military culture.

:lol

TJastal
01-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Pop spent two years doing something very important. Showing to Splitter who's the boss, stablishing the hierarchy as in the military culture.

:lol

This very well could be true. For whose benefit we can only sit and ponder. Sure as hell didn't help the team, or Splitter's game any.

Dude came to the states in the prime of his basketball career as a seasoned veteran of professional basketball. He was nothing short of humble, polite, and soft spoken from the minute he showed up in SA. And I'm sure he just assumed he'd be getting a large role as a starter on the team from the get go. As it turned out, the joke was on him as he could barely scratch the rotation for two years with every excuse known to man being tossed out as to why by both Pop and every popsucker known to man. Yet he never publically criticized the organization or anything Pop did, or his lack of minutes. Now that he has finally been given some proper latitude he is showing people exactly what he could have been doing all along.

PingPong
01-19-2013, 09:26 AM
This very well could be true. For whose benefit we can only sit and ponder. Sure as hell didn't help the team, or Splitter's game any.

Dude came to the states in the prime of his basketball career as a seasoned veteran of professional basketball. He was nothing short of humble, polite, and soft spoken from the minute he showed up in SA. And I'm sure he just assumed he'd be getting a large role as a starter on the team from the get go. As it turned out, the joke was on him as he could barely scratch the rotation for two years with every excuse known to man being tossed out as to why by both Pop and every popsucker known to man. Yet he never publically criticized the organization or anything Pop did, or his lack of minutes. Now that he has finally been given some proper latitude he is showing people exactly what he could have been doing all along.

In the military culture, they don't give a shit if the guy is humble, polite, soft spoken. The hierarchy is in the first place. So why keep Bonner and Blair ahead in the rotation? Very militaryish thing: the seniority above the meritocracy. The order (fair to the team?) in the first place.

pgardn
01-19-2013, 04:02 PM
In the military culture, they don't give a shit if the guy is humble, polite, soft spoken. The hierarchy is in the first place. So why keep Bonner and Blair ahead in the rotation? Very militaryish thing: the seniority above the meritocracy. The order (fair to the team?) in the first place.
Then Tim was treated as a civilian.

He puts the best Group of guys on the floor when HE feels necessary.

pgardn
01-19-2013, 04:04 PM

Seasoned professional in the NBA?

Huge difference.

biskvito
01-19-2013, 05:06 PM
this discussion is depressing, Splittsville is not Duncan 2.0 as the shirt number 22 might suggest, but he's a great team player and he's out of the dog house, Pop gonna Pop no matter what, better just enjoy the wins

silverblk mystix
01-19-2013, 05:57 PM

You are not gonna be invited to blakehumpers next pollyanna popper get-together if you keep talking like that. Matt Bonner was gonna be there too and you are going to miss it!

SpursIndonesia
01-20-2013, 03:31 AM
Splitter is a quality bigman who's great in PnR game, if the Rox offer Asik + one of the young PF from their collection (say, Donatas Motiejunas or Patrick Patterson) for him next summer, will the Spurs think about it ?

Asik has been stout reboundingwise & defensively, but his stone hand really hampers the PnR play of their backcourt guards which game really depends on it.

szkorhetz
01-20-2013, 05:16 AM
Splitter is a quality bigman who's great in PnR game, if the Rox offer Asik + one of the young PF from their collection (say, Donatas Motiejunas or Patrick Patterson) for him next summer, will the Spurs think about it ?

Asik has been stout reboundingwise & defensively, but his stone hand really hampers the PnR play of their backcourt guards which game really depends on it.
Yeah, most of the Spurs fans would love that trade, assuming we get Patterson.

TJastal
01-21-2013, 04:24 AM
Yeah, most of the Spurs fans would love that trade, assuming we get Patterson.

Count me as one spurs fan who doesn't agree with this. First of all, spurs just signed Aaron Baynes (sp?) for the same role that Asik would play. And even if they hadn't signed Baynes, getting rid of Splitter now when its obvious him and Parker are developing great chemistry especially in the P&R game would be a step back IMHO. Having a more refined offense player like Tiago in the starting lineup provides a bigger overall bonus to Tim Duncan (and ultimately the spurs) because it allows Tim to rest more on offense, while still providing solid support on defense. In other words it has allowed Duncan to focus and thrive on the defensive end of the court.

I'll admit however I don't know Patterson's game, but just judging from his most recent outings I think its safe to say he's a few years away yet, while I think its safe to say the spurs are "all in" this year and probably the next as far as the championship window is concerned.

PingPong
01-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Then Tim was treated as a civilian.

He puts the best Group of guys on the floor when HE feels necessary.

It was before the 4 titles... Splitter had nothing to learn, perhaps get used to the physical game of nba and improve some small details.