PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Mavs/Lakers - who makes the Playoffs?

pookenstein
01-17-2013, 04:12 AM
Both teams with some positive results recently. Mavs win their last four and Dirk is getting better, Lakers get Dwight back and seemed to play better as well lately.
Who do you guys see in the postseason? Mavs or Lakers? Both in or both out?

Personally I think they both make it. One half of the season left and both are only four wins behind the currently 8th placed Rockets.

HarlemHeat37
01-17-2013, 04:34 AM
I would lean towards both, tbh..

Houston is going downhill and Portland has the worst bench in NBA history(it's beginning to affect their starters)..the other teams are inconsistent(Utah, Minnesota)..

I'd be absolutely stunned if the Lakers don't surpass these teams..with Dirk beginning to round into form, and an overall talented roster, Dallas should eventually place ahead of them as well(although I don't know why niggas like Mike James are playing in clutch time)..

baseline bum
01-17-2013, 05:25 AM
Dallas should sneak into the 7-8 seed with LA2 at the 5-6 or so.

SpursIndonesia
01-17-2013, 10:40 AM
I got confidence in Dirk's health and his commitment to win, the team chemistry is also decent, not so much about the Lakers stars & their oncoming harder half of the regular season.

Fabbs
01-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Lakers will either play themselves in or be scammed in. No $$$$ way they are out.

Dallas will catch up also.

Both.

StrengthAndHonor
01-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Lakers. They're too talented to keep on losing at this rate. Nash has been very vocal lately and I love how he's slowly taking ownership of the offense. MDA's strategy of putting the pressure on Kobe defensively is a pretty good move too. As a result, Kobe's getting less touches which is ehy their ball movement has been good the past 3 games.

I saw the Mavs last night and they're just too old and slow to win 45 games this year. They allowed Houston to get back in the game in less than 4 minutes after being up by 11. OJ Mayo has came back to earth, he was the only reason the Mavs were decent early into the season without his production they're toast.

irishock
01-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Dallas can't get any worse than how they started the season. They'll be in the race and it'll be decided in the final week of the season. The Lakers will probably clinch 6th seed easily.

whitemamba
01-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Would like to see Dallas in there at the 7 or 8
lakers probably 5-7

Richie
01-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Don't think either makes it.

Talking spots 5-8, Golden State and Denver will make it. Minnisota will fall away with injuries, Utah, Houston and Portland will be around there all season above .500

Lakers have Miami, Toronto, Chicago, Memphis, Utah, Thunder in the next 6 games. I really don't see them going better than 2-4 in that stretch, maybe 1-5 or even 0-6. Could be out of it after that Thunder game. Possibly 8 games under 500, won't be able to catch Utah, Houston or Portland

Brunodf
01-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Lakers. They're too talented to keep on losing at this rate.

StrengthAndHonor
01-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Don't think either makes it.

Talking spots 5-8, Golden State and Denver will make it. Minnisota will fall away with injuries, Utah, Houston and Portland will be around there all season above .500

Lakers have Miami, Toronto, Chicago, Memphis, Utah, Thunder in the next 6 games. I really don't see them going better than 2-4 in that stretch, maybe 1-5 or even 0-6. Could be out of it after that Thunder game. Possibly 8 games under 500, won't be able to catch Utah, Houston or Portland

Curry re-injured his akle. I believe its the same ankle that cost him 40 games last year. If he doesn't come back then their playoff hopes are in Jeopardy.

I said this month will determine if the Lakers have any shot of making the postseason. I think they can win the next 3 games or go 4-2 in the next 6. If they do finish 6-2 the rest of the month which is plausible, then they should carry that momentum till February where they have a chance to finally bring their record above .500 since its a pretty weak SOS.

Ghazi
01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Currently have the lakers finishing 8th and the mavs
Missing out..

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Between now and the trade deadline the Mavs play both the Warriors and Blazers twice (with two games against OKC in there for good measure). Cuban's made his annual bluster about the Mavs wanting to be active at the trade deadline and even if he's being serious about that this time that attitude could cool if they don't make up any ground (or fall further behind) some of those teams they're chasing. With no big trade I think they'll struggle for consistency just as bad as the other teams fighting for the bottom rungs of the seeding but when the music stops they'll be left without a seat at the table.

Unless they absolutely bomb their upcoming stretch so bad that the whole team up and quits (not entirely impossible, tbh) the Lakers will make the playoffs. With their draft pick spoken for they have absolutely zero reason to tank. Even if they did they're the Lakers. No matter how shitty or stack they ever look not making the postseason would be seen as nothing short of a catastrophic failure. So whether or not his job is actually on the line D'Antoni default setting is to coach like it, and play the starters into the ground clear into May. They'll probably find some kind of streak in the spring that will propel them into a secure enough position by the time the other teams start packing it in for the lottery. Standing pat they'll make the 7 or 8 seed, if they can move Gasol for something good with a little luck they could go higher.

Latarian Milton
01-18-2013, 12:17 AM
mavs are just tanking now and they're prepared for their first playoff miss in more than 10 years. cuban will be actively seeking a big move preceding the trade deadline but there're not many targets that would make an instant impact on this team imho. monta ellis & rudy gay will be realistic targets and the mavs have some decent trading assets in kaman (expiring contract) and mayo, but it'd still be very hard to drag the team back to top 8 even with both niggas signed imho.

lakers will clinch a ticket to the playoffs and the league will do everything to secure their berth

ElNono
01-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Already answered in the other month old thread... Dallas makes it thanks to Dirk rounding into form... the Lakeshow won't make it and it has little to do with "talent getting better"... the fact you can foul a 50% FT shooter at any point in the game will keep on piling losses to them... I don't see DHo fixing that this season, tbh

Fergie The Florists
01-18-2013, 01:43 AM
mavs are just tanking now and they're prepared for their first playoff miss in more than 10 years. cuban will be actively seeking a big move preceding the trade deadline but there're not many targets that would make an instant impact on this team imho. monta ellis & rudy gay will be realistic targets and the mavs have some decent trading assets in kaman (expiring contract) and mayo, but it'd still be very hard to drag the team back to top 8 even with both niggas signed imho.
lakers will clinch a ticket to the playoffs and the league will do everything to secure their berth

That's why they've won 4 straight right homo? Because they're tanking