PDA

View Full Version : $

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 08:24 AM
The one question that this forum hasn't really touched on directly is: will Holt Cat et al open up the coffers this summer? So far everyone seems to be assuming that the Spurs will:

Re-sign Horry (est $4 mil starting salary)
Re-sign DBrown (est $3 mil)
Sign Scola (est $2 mil)
Extend Mohammed (est $8 mil starting in 2006-07)
Use their full MLE & LLE ($4.9 mil & 1.6 mil respectively)
Retain Linton Johnson ($700K)

Lest we forget that Tony Parker's extension starts next season. That'll be a significant bump up ($6 mil or so) from his rookie contract that was paying him $1 mil or whatever.

All of that adds up. Paul Allen doesn't own the Spurs. Cablevision doesn't own the Spurs.

ObiwanGinobili
07-01-2005, 08:30 AM
maybe holt will take on a partner? share ownership?
or maybe he's too much of a control freak.... ofcourse he could always retain at least 51%.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Holt has "partners"....hence the "et al".

TheTruth
07-01-2005, 08:34 AM
I think if the Spurs want to bring over Scola it is going to cost more than 2 mil a year. His buyout with his Spanish team is fairly large, and he has to pay most of it.

TheTruth
07-01-2005, 08:35 AM
maybe holt will take on a partner? share ownership?
or maybe he's too much of a control freak.... ofcourse he could always retain at least 51%.
He already has plenty of partners.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 08:35 AM
I'd have to see where the tax threshold falls. Holt has spent right up to that in the past, and even teams that go over the threshold now get an equal share of the payback. So the Spurs could go a few million over the threshold and still beak even taxwise.

Ginofan
07-01-2005, 08:36 AM
I think if the Spurs want to bring over Scola it is going to cost more than 2 mil a year. His buyout with his Spanish team is fairly large, and he has to pay most of it.

Does anyone know a ballpark figure for how much the buy out is?

Extra Stout
07-01-2005, 08:42 AM
The one question that this forum hasn't really touched on directly is: will Holt Cat et al open up the coffers this summer? So far everyone seems to be assuming that the Spurs will:

Re-sign Horry (est $4 mil starting salary)Sounds about right.

Re-sign DBrown (est $3 mil) :lol Um, no. Try maybe $1 mil, if even that much.

Sign Scola (est $2 mil)Sure. Maybe just $1.6 mil.

Extend Mohammed (est $8 mil starting in 2006-07)Err... maybe. If they get the extension done, Rasho should get himself a nice comfortable chair on the trade block.

Use their full MLE & LLE ($4.9 mil & 1.6 mil respectively)Scola's paycheck comes out of this. Add up eight guys already under contract + Horry + Scola + Brown, and that's 11. The additional roster spots would be filled by vet-minimum guys and undrafted FA's.

Retain Linton Johnson ($700K)Okay, that's 12.

All of that adds up. Paul Allen doesn't own the Spurs. Cablevision doesn't own the Spurs.You forget to mention that R.C. Buford isn't a rotisserie geek.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 08:48 AM
DBrown will cost more than $1 mil.

If Rasho was worth $42 mil over 6 seasons a couple seasons back, Mohammed will definitely be looking at something more.

Perhaps Scola will sign for $1.6 mil. Hope so.

"Geek"? If this was 1990 I might be offended.

Extra Stout
07-01-2005, 08:55 AM
DBrown will cost more than $1 mil.Then wish him well as he leaves. He's not worth any more than that to this team.

If Rasho was worth $42 mil over 6 seasons a couple seasons back, Mohammed will definitely be looking at something more.True. SA will keep either him OR Rasho long-term, but not both.

Perhaps Scola will sign for $1.6 mil. Hope so.If not, there are other options.

"Geek"? If this was 1990 I might be offended.:lol Why should you be offended? I just meant that R.C. isn't going to stack the team with 14 big names Portland-style.

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Isnt Scola's buyout for like 2 million? So he wouldnt sign for the 1.6 would he?

Russ
07-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Basic question -- What is the source of funds (under cap rules) to sign Scola, Horry and D. Brown? Must all three be paid by splitting the MLE three ways? If so, will that be enough to sign all three? (It would not appear so).

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 09:05 AM
I believe the Spurs have Horry's and Brown's Early Bird Rights meaning their salaries dont come from the MLE. Meaning after re-signing those two the Spurs would have the full MLE to use on Scola and or other FAs.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Horry's EB rights are in dispute.

Brown's are not.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Then wish him well as he leaves. He's not worth any more than that to this team.

Sure he is. Before he went out he was on path to the standard 3 year/$3 mil starting contract that all role players Pop is fond of receive (ie Bowen, Rose pre-03). If not for that injury he would have supplanted Barry in the playoff rotation.

:lol Why should you be offended? I just meant that R.C. isn't going to stack the team with 14 big names Portland-style.

Es ist klar.

Gino2882
07-01-2005, 09:12 AM
But Brown with a chronic injury certainly isnt worth much more than 1 mil per year.

boutons
07-01-2005, 09:16 AM
"even teams that go over the threshold now get an equal share of the payback"

... but the albatross clause in CBA allowing taking a bad contract off the luxury tax calc will reduce the size the shared penalty pot. That clause really gutted luxury tax system and tremendously protects the owners from themselves and stupid contracts, while the albatross players get to earn two salaries. Greed and stupidity are good. :)

Extra Stout
07-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Sure he is. Before he went out he was on path to the standard 3 year/$3 mil starting contract that all role players Pop is fond of receive (ie Bowen, Rose pre-03). If not for that injury he would have supplanted Barry in the playoff rotation.But he did get hurt, and it does affect his market value. They'd have to be crazy to throw $10 mil over 3 years at the third guard off the bench coming back from back trouble.

Es ist klar.Verbleiben wir so?

ChumpDumper
07-01-2005, 09:19 AM
but the albatross clause in CBA allowing taking a bad contract off the luxury tax calc will reduce the size the shared penalty pot.Only one per team and only once. There will still be plenty of money to go around for a couple of years.

ducks
07-01-2005, 09:26 AM
rumor had it scola was going to get 6 million for 3 years
whether that is the number now I do not know last fall it came out

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 09:29 AM
They know the condition of his health better than anyone. So far the reports are that he will have a full recovery.

Verbleiben wir so?

Ja.

Streakyshooter08
07-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Was ist denn hier los? :) *hehe* It was pretty weird reading some german words in this thread...;)

boutons
07-01-2005, 09:40 AM
"Only one per team and only once"

That was the question I had this week here but didn't see the answer. thanks.

Russ
07-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Scola seems like a great addition on offense (and even rebounding) but I worry about his defensive abilities, i.e., quickness. Nonetheless, odds are he'll be an important part of many title teams.