PDA

View Full Version : Give me reasons why you think Parker will join Ginobili and Duncan....

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 08:29 AM
....in the All-Star game next season.

I'm listening.

tekdragon
07-01-2005, 11:11 AM
here's what I'm hoping, anyway:

improved mid-range jump shot.

he was streaky (at best) this year, and that, in many games, was the difference in us winning (or losing) a close game, and us blowing someone out. Those dry spells the Spurs go through every game could be totally eliminated if Tony can start hitting a consistent 12-18 footer. I'm hoping he realizes this, and spends all summer shooting. With that kind of weapon, the Spurs would be tough(er) to stop.

Hopefully, if that doesn't happen, we'll at least re-sign the Big Dog. He can hit that shot.

JUUOT
07-01-2005, 11:15 AM
a 23 years old that is 2 time nba champion being a Point guard.
he is slightly inconsistent but has improved every year.
Defense
this year his defense made a big jump forward to the point that for the 7th game popovich can tell parker was the one setting the tone on...Defense ouah when you have two first tem dfense in bowen and duncan on the floor and from the uncontested defense fanatic coach sounds like a progress. tony became one of the best PG defens wise.
thanks to this he can stay in the game even when he loses focus on offense allowing him to concentrate on D and get his game going.

contrary to what some thought he improved his Assist per game of .6 this year compared to .2 progression the season before.
shooting % went up from .47 to .482 and he scores nearly 2 more points per game.
all this considering he palyed the same average minutes per game.

this young player is improving right now in front of us and he is becoming one of the best and keeps improving.

and you know what ! for all the haters!
when you have all this two rings, the sexiest girl friend and you are rich. it takes to be a born competitor to keep wanting more and to be an all star. we should be thinking pop for motivating him like this and tony for working all summer.

i juts enjoy looking this team developing and changing. tony progress this year were shadowed by manu but the spurs triumvirate is preventing a lot of coach and GMs to worry. parker included because everybody in this league know it is just the begining!

picnroll
07-01-2005, 11:17 AM
.... so that IceColdBrewski will have one more thing to whine about when it comes to Parker, how he doesn't deserve to be an all-star.

WalterBenitez
07-01-2005, 12:33 PM
TD because ... well we know why :rolleyes

Manu because I WISH :lol

TP, because he'd love to :elephant

ducks
07-01-2005, 12:39 PM
the other allstar thread is not good enough for you to bash tp in
you have to make another one>

ducks
07-01-2005, 12:40 PM
manu may get voted in by fans but I do not see manu playing better next year and if other players play improves manu is not a lock by the coaches

caspian
07-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Tony is not just quick; he has considerable ups.

He needs to discover how to use them. It will make him more dangerous in traffic, will make him get to the free throw line more (with hopefully more 'and ones'), will add to his assists as he gets more attention, and will make him more spectacular. All these are all-star fodder qualities.

For example, remember when Prince came from behind and blocked Tony's fast-break layup in the finals? Yes, it was a goal-tending, but that should have been a flush; for all sorts of reasons. There are other examples.

When his shot isn't falling is usually when the offense is forced/stifled, there is no penetration, the shot-clock is down, and the defense is stepping out. His shot is often nails, though.

constantstate
07-01-2005, 12:46 PM
its a popularity contest. so unless theres like a plane crash with east/west coast sports writers on board and the only ones left alive are from san antonio, or eva longoria gets 2 to 3 million all-star votes, the only way tony makes it in, is a french/san antonio aliance of fans voting (a la yao) or if the coaches vote him in.

not SO unlikely, if MANU gets super-hot pub this offseason and going into next year, and he gets in on his own along with td. (fan balloting) i hear his jersey is selling big time, so he just might?

nkdlunch
07-01-2005, 12:48 PM
unfortunately I doubt Tony will make the all-star. Unless he shows some miraculous improvement, which is not likely.

2centsworth
07-01-2005, 12:51 PM
being on the verge of being an all-star in the west is still darn good.

Ginobili_20_gold_medalist
07-01-2005, 01:22 PM
He obviously won't be voted in so improving that jumpshot and working on his playmaking skills will get him some serious consideration from the coaches. Parker isn't respected as a PG because he doesn't know how to handle pressure and his court vision is limited. If he gets that part of the game down and starts finding his teammates a bit more I think people will take notice. If his numbers were around 15-16 ppg with 8-9 assists I think he would make the all-star team.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-01-2005, 01:28 PM
To spite you.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 01:42 PM
This point has been argued to death. I am not going to sit here and spend 20 minutes giving you the stats and explaining why I believe Parker will make All-Star or why I think he is a Top 10 PG, soon to be Top 5. No matter what I say, you're still going to hate on him, your sorry ass is still gonna show on the forum only when he has bad games to make your "point," you're still gonna deny what a great talent he is and how he works well in the Spurs system--which not many PG's may be able to do.

I am so freakin tired of having to defend Parker around here and repeating myself over and over again. This debate is getting old. Let's just leave it that I and some others believe that Parker has upside potential and you and other Parker haters believe he is what he is now and end it at that.

I am just going to wait and let Parker's game and talent defend itself.

td4mvp21
07-01-2005, 02:11 PM
I think he will because he's a great regular season player now. If you look at his numbers during the season, they were outstanding. He just has trouble when defenses collapse on him, much like any other guard would. I think he's gonna have a great season overall next year.

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 03:24 PM
As many have already stated, the All-Star game is a popularity contest. Parker didn't do much in the playoffs to improve his status. If anything, all he did was solidify his status as a player who gets rattled when a defense collapses on him.

timvp
07-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Here are two questions for IceColdBrewski:

Do you still take Beno over Parker?

Do the Spurs win the championship with Beno as their starting point guard?

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 03:29 PM
As many have already stated, the All-Star game is a popularity contest. Parker didn't do much in the playoffs to improve his status. If anything, all he did was solidify his status as a player who gets rattled when a defense collapses on him.

I'm certainly glad we had Beno around when the Pistons started trapping the ballhandler...

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 03:33 PM

Yea, that OT game against Denver sure did suck, Games 1 and 2 against Seattle when he scored 29 pts and 22 pts respectively sure did suck, Pheonix series where he scores 27 pts--same as the MVP of the league sure did suck, his defense on the last play of Game 5 against Rip and his defense against he reigning Finals MVP in Game 7 sure did suck. And oh yea, Game 4, when Duncan and Manu decided to take the night off with the rest of the team--Parker was the one that kept us in the game that night, continously attacking the basket, getting hacked across the faced by Billups, and getting back up on his way to 21 pts--yea he did look rattled there.

Oh yea, and his 17.4 ppg in the playoffs on 48% shooting sure did suck.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Does Blewski not realize that Parker was the only Spur who consistently attacked the Pistons' defense? Even TD and Manu shied away from that at times in the Finals.

"Rattled"? Give me a fucking break.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Brewski's problem is that he decides to concentrate solely on Parker's weaknesses and bad games while discounting the numerous great games he's had.

Spurologist
07-01-2005, 03:42 PM
It's obvious tp won't be a starter if he makes the team. So it comes down to the coaches picking him. He just has to play well enough against western conference teams to sway the coaches. Moreso than other potential all stars. I remember Jeff Van Gundy said in column I read that tp deserved to make the team and that he voted for him. That's the kind of impact tp needs. A consistent jumper would help.

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Here are two questions for IceColdBrewski:

(1)Do you still take Beno over Parker?

(2)Do the Spurs win the championship with Beno as their starting point guard?

1. I'm not so sure anymore. Beno played great (for a rookie) in the first half of the season but then petered out down the stretch. Kinda like Parker in his first season. I'm officially "on the fence" now.

2. No. He looked worse than Parker in these playoffs. Which is really bad when you consider how mediocre Parker looked. But Beno is a rookie so he gets a free pass this year. If he plays like shit in the playoffs next year, I'll be more than man enough to admit I was wrong about him.

timvp
07-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Apology Accepted.

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Does Blewski not realize that Parker was the only Spur who consistently attacked the Pistons' defense? Even TD and Manu shied away from that at times in the Finals.

"Rattled"? Give me a fucking break.

Parker is known as a player who can be shut down easily ever since the Lakers did it to him last year in the playoffs. You know it. I know it. He didn't do anything to break away from that image this year.

constantstate
07-01-2005, 03:46 PM
ok, i just said it was a popularity contest. (thats all) i personally think parker could be the leading scorer on this spurs team in a few years. but that has nothing to do with whether or not he'll make the all-star game next season.

with the system being the way it is... the players are voted in by halfway mindless fans... manu might have converted enough of them during the playoffs to get in without the coaches help next year... but parker would probably need that boost next season like manu got this year.

top 3 things to get parker in the all-star game:

1. we'd need the best record in the west.
2. parker would have to be neck and neck with manu in scoring like he was this year / or improve his stats tremendously (assists) from the previous year. (something to make him standout)
3. manu would have to be voted in by the fans.

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Apology Accepted.

Whatever lifts yer skirt man. Call it whatever you want but you will NEVER hear me "appologize" for having an opinion.

timvp
07-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Yeah Parker is such a scrub. Damn him for upping his scoring average in the playoffs.

On the road in the Finals, Parker averaged 15.7 points on 48% shooting from the field. Duncan averaged 18.7 on 37% from the field. Manu averaged 11.3 points on 35% shooting.

But yeah, Parker never shows up in big games. That choking little Frenchman disappears when the team needs him on the road in the Finals. Duncan and Manu, on the other hand, never failed to show up on the road in the Finals.

Just as the stats indicate.

dn0
07-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Not to justify manu but if you consider that LB adjusted his D to focus more on him after he torched them in the first 2 games, his numbers are not that bad.
Parker had a decent postseason performance, that's about it.
I really hope he makes it to the all-star next year if that helps his confidence.

Yeah Parker is such a scrub. Damn him for upping his scoring average in the playoffs.

On the road in the Finals, Parker averaged 15.7 points on 48% shooting from the field. Duncan averaged 18.7 on 37% from the field. Manu averaged 11.3 points on 35% shooting.

But yeah, Parker never shows up in big games. That choking little Frenchman disappears when the team needs him on the road in the Finals. Duncan and Manu, on the other hand, never failed to show up on the road in the Finals.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Parker is known as a player who can be shut down easily ever since the Lakers did it to him last year in the playoffs. You know it. I know it. He didn't do anything to break away from that image this year.

He's known as the player that teams have to radically change their defenses to stop, thus opening up opportunities for other Spurs. Oh no.

Give it a rest, man.

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 04:16 PM

Those are some mighty fine stats. But it still doesn't take away from the fact that Parker did nothing to break out of his image of being someone who can be stopped when a defense concentrates on him. When Ginobili and Duncan get in a zone, there's nothing a defense can do to stop them. That's what a true "All-Star" can do. Tim and Manu are known as players who can carry the team regardless of the circumstances. Parker is known as a player who can carry a team as long as defenses aren't concentrating on him. Like it or not, that's how he's perceived by everyone but Spurs fans.

hendrix
07-01-2005, 04:19 PM
We lost 2 on the road. It's not about a single player's stats.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Again, if a team is focusing on Parker because he is lighting them up then that opens up opportunities for other Spurs. In addition, it's rather difficult for any player to consistently beat a double team on his own.

spur219
07-01-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't think they will pick 3 players from the same team to play in the All-Star.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-01-2005, 04:23 PM
I don't think they will pick 3 players from the same team to play in the All-Star.
... they picked 3 Suns this year

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 04:24 PM
He's known as the player that teams have to radically change their defenses to stop...

It's really not that much of a "radical" change.

(1) Converge on Parker when he tries to take it to the hole.

(2) Get physical once you've converged on him.

(3) watch him fold like a cheap suit.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Converge on Parker, thus freeing up other Spurs. Duh. How is Parker being good enough to warrant that attention a bad thing for his game or the team? WTF?

When did TP stop penentrating in the Finals?

TP didn't fold when even the Franchise was in Game 4.

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Converge on Parker, thus freeing up other Spurs. Duh. How is Parker being good enough to warrant that attention a bad thing for his game or the team? WTF?

You make it sound so simple. He drives, draws the defense, and passes to the open man. Right? Never puts up an ugly shot and never turns the ball over. Never gets rattled or loses his confidence.

Take off the homer glasses Sparky.

07-01-2005, 05:26 PM
You make it sound so simple. He drives, draws the defense, and passes to the open man. Right? Never puts up an ugly shot and never turns the ball over. Never gets rattled or loses his confidence.

Take off the homer glasses Sparky.

I have to agree with this. Parker's decision making and court vision are his biggest weaknesses. Just about everytime he got in the lane and they converged on him he RARELY found the open man. He either threw up a bad shot, threw a bad pass or he stopped his dribble and tried to pivot until he traveled. He did this just about every single game and that's not an exaggeration. I came to expect that he would do that every game and he usually didn't disappoint lol. I lost count how many times he would have Ginobili (shooting nearly 50% from 3 point range) or any other Spur shooter wide open and instead of passing the ball he would try to go into a crowd. Honestly it seemed to me everytime Barry, Horry, or Bowen were making an open shot it was either Ginobili or Duncan making the pass. If Parker is going to be one of the better PGs in the league he has to stop with the tunnel vision and start making those passes.

orhe
07-01-2005, 05:28 PM
come on icecold this hating is getting old really really fast

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 07:09 PM
I have to agree with this. Parker's decision making and court vision are his biggest weaknesses. Just about everytime he got in the lane and they converged on him he RARELY found the open man. He either threw up a bad shot, threw a bad pass or he stopped his dribble and tried to pivot until he traveled. He did this just about every single game and that's not an exaggeration. I came to expect that he would do that every game and he usually didn't disappoint lol. I lost count how many times he would have Ginobili (shooting nearly 50% from 3 point range) or any other Spur shooter wide open and instead of passing the ball he would try to go into a crowd. Honestly it seemed to me everytime Barry, Horry, or Bowen were making an open shot it was either Ginobili or Duncan making the pass. If Parker is going to be one of the better PGs in the league he has to stop with the tunnel vision and start making those passes.

You hit the nail flat on the head. The crazy thing is that only a handfull of us seem to notice it. I literally cringe everytime Parker drives into a wall of defenders because I know that something bad in probably going to happen. Manu was responsible for most of the offensive output in the Finals but somehow Parker is already getting the credit. Ginobili was the main reason the first 2 games were blowouts. Then he gets injured and suddenly we start losing.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Keep on hating, hater. I have yet to hear you back up your statements with facts. The only thing I keep hearing you say is that Parker folds up under defensive pressure, well here's a fact for you to think about.

You say Parker folded last year after Games 1 and 2 of the LA series, after LA adjusted their entire defense to stop his penetrations, correct?
This year, Detroit adjusted their entire defense to stop Manu's penetrations after Games 1 and 2---and remind me again, how did Manu play in Games 3 and 4. Did he play any better than Parker last year in games 3 and 4 after defenses collapsed on him?

Difference this year--Manu got a chance to redeem himself in a Game 7 due to Horry saving the Spurs asses in Game 5. Last year, we didn't get that chance.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Ginobili was the main reason the first 2 games were blowouts. Then he gets injured and suddenly we start losing.

Hmmm, I guess you missed the part where Manu went straight on record saying that his "injury" was 100% fine and that he didn't think it would limit his game at all.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Also, I am not denying, that Manu was great this post-season, I'd have to be blind not to notice he had a spectacular season. He was great in Game 7 and Games 1 and 2 of the Finals. And I think someone else hit it on the nail when they said that Manu's emergence has overshadowed and down-played Parker's own progress this season.

ALVAREZ6
07-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Manu>TP

end of discussion.

:smokin

ducks
07-01-2005, 07:24 PM
who thinks manu has peaked?
I know other posters here think he has to

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Hmmm, I guess you missed the part where Manu went straight on record saying that his "injury" was 100% fine and that he didn't think it would limit his game at all.

Of course that's what he's going to say. Every player in the league downplays their injuries to the press. Especially in the Finals. Otherwise you have panic among the fans and media blowing it out of proportion.

Have you ever suffered a deep thigh bruise? I have when my Karate instructor kicked me in thigh when I was 17. It hurts like a sunovabitch! I walked around with a slight limp for 2 days. It felt like I had a permanent charlie horse.

You can trust me on this one sister. That injury was more of a factor than you know.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Manu>TP

end of discussion.

15 year olds who think they know Basketball are not allowed to participate in this debate.

end of discussion.

Frenchise player
07-01-2005, 07:31 PM
IceColdBrewski hating Parker. That's something even a tousand of rings aren't going to change.

smeagol
07-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Questions to you, ducks:

1) Is this what you really think, or do you wish he peaked, 'cause if he gets any better you run out of reasons to bash him?

2) How important do you think Manu was for the Spurs to win it all this year?

3) Was he (i) less important, (ii) as important, or (iii) more important than you boy in helping the Spurs win the championship

4) If Manu has peaked, would you trade him and for whom?

5) If he has peaked, isn't 21/6/5 good enough for our starting SG?

6) What's up with you Manu hating?

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 07:40 PM
IceColdBrewski hating Parker. That's something even a tousand of rings aren't going to change.

I'm arguing that Parker isn't good enough to be an All-Star next year. If that makes me a "hater", so be it.

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Questions to you, ducks:

1) Is this what you really think, or do you wish he peaked, 'cause if he gets any better you run out of reasons to bash him?

3) Was he (i) less important, (ii) as important, or (iii) more important than you boy in helping the Spurs win the championship

I can't wait to hear this.

ducks
07-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Questions to you, ducks:

I think he has peaked he is the same age or close to duncan. do you honestly think he can improve? if so he can not by alot.

I think he was a big reason for why the spurs won it all. but if duncan was hurt they would not have won anything.

I do not think he was more important then tp I think he was = as important as tp
again duncan is the reason spurs won it all

I would not trade him for james

very much so. this is not a thread to bash manu. I was just pointing out tp would not have to worry about an improving manu to catch. this the playoff manu we saw.manu is now a marked man in the nba. I hope he can still put those same stats up

stating you think he has peaked is not hatting
you want me to worship him like they do where he is born you can forget it
he is good but he is not god

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 07:51 PM
you want me to worship him like they do where he is born you can forget it
he is good but he is not god

You're dodging the questions.

"Answer the questions Claire"

http://members.fortunecity.com/iceman_x/tbc/cast/claire.jpg

ducks
07-01-2005, 07:56 PM
I answered it
I am still waiting to your responce on has manu peaked

Frenchise player
07-01-2005, 07:58 PM
I'm arguing that Parker isn't good enough to be an All-Star next year. If that makes me a "hater", so be it.
Men why do you try argue with that. I positively hates Steve Francis and Vince Carter, you do hate Tony Parker, it isn't that bad.

This thread is not what makes you a hater, it is the hundreds of threads and posts where you always try to denigrate Tony, it is the fact that you disapear when he has a good game and suddenly comes back when he has a bad one.
When it comes to Tony's futur you will always be on the pessimistic end.

I give you credit because you are the original Parker basher and it will always be like that and also because you hated him before he dated Eva unlike 90% of the other haters. But as a hater you have no objectivity.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-01-2005, 07:58 PM

I get what you're saying Ducks, but if that is true, then why is it that when someone says TP isn't going to improve much, everyone jumps up and says "stop hating on TP"? Personally I think TP is going to get better and better each year, and I also think Manu is going to improve in the little things. Now I know you don't like Manu ducks, you make it clear every time you jump with a negative comment every time Manu does something right, so that you can downplay whatever he did. Personally, I think you bash on Manu because there are some that bash on TP, whom you like, and you feel you need to get back at them. I also know that there are a lot of haters out there (yes, Brewski), but theres no need to take it out on Manu just because some dick bashes your boy. Be the better man.

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 07:59 PM
I answered it
I am still waiting to your responce on has manu peaked

No. He hasn't peaked yet. Now then, are you man enough to answer ALL of his questions or not?

Guess we'll have to start calling you "Chicken" instead of ducks.

ducks
07-01-2005, 08:07 PM
stating tp can not improve is silly
because most point guards peak at the age of 28-29
aj even started hitting jumpshots late in his career

I try to bring a balance to the forum. if everyone only talked good about a certain player then this place would suck. (even tp) I will let some others say negative things about manu.

ducks
07-01-2005, 08:09 PM
what question did I not answer IceColdBrewski

ps I may not get to post tell tomorrow morning so do not think I am a chicken

Frenchise player
07-01-2005, 08:09 PM
I also thinks that Manu can't improve as much as Tony can, but that's simply because he plays already near perfection considering what his body is.
Like any other player Manu's first limit is his body, that's why he will never be as good as Lebron or Kobe (at least individually not for the Spurs).
But I don't care if Manu doesn't improve, if he plays like he has played in the last playoffs, he is going to the ASG every year and the Spurs are going to win five more championships.

ducks
07-01-2005, 08:11 PM
manu is suppose to put on weight right this summer?

that will help him from getting hurt

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 08:12 PM
stating tp can not improve is silly
because most point guards peak at the age of 28-29
aj even started hitting jumpshots late in his career

I try to bring a balance to the forum. if everyone only talked good about a certain player then this place would suck. (even tp) I will let some others say negative things about manu.

Who said Tony Parker couldn't improve?

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 08:12 PM
manu is suppose to put on weight right this summer?

that will help him from getting hurt

Because heavier people never get hurt?

ducks
07-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Who said Tony Parker couldn't improve?

I never said you did
I asked YOU what question I missed

ducks
07-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Because heavier people never get hurt?

shaq is one of the heaviest people in the nba and he gets hurt

the spurs think he should get heavier I think they know more then you

ducks
07-01-2005, 08:19 PM
I am out of here I have to do some thinks ......

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Those are some mighty fine stats. But it still doesn't take away from the fact that Parker did nothing to break out of his image of being someone who can be stopped when a defense concentrates on him. When Ginobili and Duncan get in a zone, there's nothing a defense can do to stop them. That's what a true "All-Star" can do. Tim and Manu are known as players who can carry the team regardless of the circumstances. Parker is known as a player who can carry a team as long as defenses aren't concentrating on him. Like it or not, that's how he's perceived by everyone but Spurs fans.

I guarantee this is the only image the NBA has of Parker today (and tomorrow, too).

http://www.nba.com/media/finals2005/ParkBow_360_050623.jpg

IceColdBrewski
07-01-2005, 08:22 PM
I never said you did
I asked YOU what question I missed

Ah. I see where you answered the questions. My bad.

But when did I say that Parker couldn't improve? He has all the potential in the world to improve. Question is, will he.

exstatic
07-01-2005, 08:41 PM
The only reason: the blush of new love doesn't last long.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Brewski, let me ask you this, why the hell do you even bother starting threads like this: "Give me reasons why you think Parker will join Gino and Duncan..." when

a) You really don't care what we think
b) You're just going to end up writing us all off as Parker homers anyway
c) You're not going to change your mind about Parker, just like we're never going to change ours?

Also, this thread wasn't supposed to be another Manu vs Parker thing, I am so tired of that crap. My point in bringing up Manu in this thread was simply to state a point which is that while many people around here think that Manu>>>>>>>>>Parker--meaning Manu is infinitely greater than Parker, I simply think that the margin of Manu's greatness is not that much greater than Parker. Clearly Manu took his game to a new level this past season, all I and many others are saying is that Parker can and will also.

GerM
07-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Not Tim Duncan, thats for sure.

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Now let me ask you a few questions Brewski:

1) What makes you think Parker won't improve his game next season or seasons beyond? Why don't you try backing that up with some stats. Because the way I am looking at it is this: in 03 he averaged 14.5 ppg and 5 assists, in 2004, 15 and 5.5, in 2005, 16 and 6. Every year for the past 3 years his numbers and playmaking skills have vastly improved. Sure it's easy to point out the bad games he's had, but overall, he's getting better. While he may still be inconsistent---I'll say this. No one outside of Tim Duncan is consistent on this team--and even Duncan was somewhat inconsistent this season.

2) You think he's a wimp and folds under pressure? Well how do you explain the B2B OT wins against Clips and Warriors-which by the way he won himself against a Top 5 PG in the league--without Manu and Duncan to back him up. How do you explain his clutch shooting in the Denver OT game? How do you explain the fact that although his offense was shitty in Game 7--his defense was consistent throughout 4 quarters on the Pistons 2 hottest offensive players?

3) Tell me, who is a realistic PG you would trade Parker for--someone who you think the Spurs can seriously aquire and who you think will fit into Pop's system, be ok with being a 3rd option, complement Manu's fast break game in the backcourt. Go ahead and tell me.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Now let me ask you a few questions Brewski:

1) What makes you think Parker won't improve his game next season or seasons beyond? Why don't you try backing that up with some stats. Because the way I am looking at it is this: in 03 he averaged 14.5 ppg and 5 assists, in 2004, 15 and 5.5, in 2005, 16 and 6. Every year for the past 3 years his numbers and playmaking skills have vastly improved. Sure it's easy to point out the bad games he's had, but overall, he's getting better. While he may still be inconsistent---I'll say this. No one outside of Tim Duncan is consistent on this team--and even Duncan was somewhat inconsistent this season.

2) You think he's a wimp and folds under pressure? Well how do you explain the B2B OT wins against Clips and Warriors-which by the way he won himself against a Top 5 PG in the league--without Manu and Duncan to back him up. How do you explain his clutch shooting in the Denver OT game? How do you explain the fact that although his offense was shitty in Game 7--his defense was consistent throughout 4 quarters on the Pistons 2 hottest offensive players?

3) Tell me, who is a realistic PG you would trade Parker for--someone who you think the Spurs can seriously aquire and who you think will fit into Pop's system, be ok with being a 3rd option, complement Manu's fast break game in the backcourt. Go ahead and tell me.
You tell him 1Parker1! LOL Although Parker only won one of those B2B without Manu, the other one Manu had 40 points. Other than that, right on the nail sister!

boutons
07-01-2005, 09:28 PM
How long til October?

Anybody got the Spurs pre-season schedule?

1Parker1
07-01-2005, 09:34 PM
You tell him 1Parker1! LOL Although Parker only won one of those B2B without Manu, the other one Manu had 40 points. Other than that, right on the nail sister!

:lol Thanks ManuMania

I was refering to the fact that Parker showed heart and grit in the double OT example. He scored something like 22 points in the first game and 32 in the second after playing a combined 99 minutes in 2 nights.

SequSpur
07-01-2005, 09:36 PM
unless parker develops some arc in his shot he might lose his starting job.

smeagol
07-01-2005, 09:40 PM
How long til October?

The offseason is a fun time too.

Wait until the deadline for signing FAs get near. That's when Jimbo spices up the forum :smokin

smeagol
07-01-2005, 09:40 PM
unless parker develops some arc in his shot he might lose his starting job.
To your boy Beno? :lol

conversekid
07-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Parker will not join duncan and manu in the all-star game... there are too many big name guards in the west and parker doesn't do enough to seperate himself from them.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-01-2005, 10:26 PM
:lol Thanks ManuMania

I was refering to the fact that Parker showed heart and grit in the double OT example. He scored something like 22 points in the first game and 32 in the second after playing a combined 99 minutes in 2 nights.
No argument here! Parker ruled in those games!

whottt
07-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Parker also ruled in both of our playoff OT games...

Parker also made the winning defensive play in that game 5.

Pop credited Parker with starting the defensive stand that altered the course of the game(defensively) in game 7...

He did not credit Bruce or Manu for it...he credited Parker for it.

Prior to this season Parker has had a pretty good shot...this season he took high PCT shots(at the request of Pop) and his J and 3 suffered for it...he still hit some big threes for us...

Parker is a stud, coaches love him...he's tough, he plays hard nosed defense..he can score and for a 22 year old PG he is very consistent...the only thing he lacks is experience...

Parker will make the AS game because coaches are going to put him there...

There are some analysts(these guys aren't fantasy basketball experts so Brewski probably doesn't care what they think) that think Parker is going to be one of the greatest PG's in NBA history by the time his career his over...

I think they are right...

I mean how many 22 year old PG's have been in the All Star Game?

The All Star Games and All NBA and All NBA defensive teams will start next season...he should have been at least 3rd team all NBA Defense this season...

And Parker was the guy that had to take on the regular season MVP and last years playoff MVP, in these playoffs.

whottt
07-01-2005, 10:53 PM
And he'll start the All Star Game when ever France votes him in...he's got an easier path to the All Star Game than Manu, who has to get through Kobe and TMac...the only guy totally ahead of Parker in the West is Nash. If Nash has an average season coaches are going to bump Parker over him...in a heartbeat.

T Park
07-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Pop credited Parker with starting the defensive stand that altered the course of the game(defensively) in game 7...

but he doesnt step up in big games......

He also had the basket to cut the score down to 7 and spark the run that got the Spurs ahead for good BTW.

Wouldn't want to overlook that.

07-02-2005, 10:04 AM
I honestly think Popovich had to credit Parker with something. I mean he took most of his primary duties from him and assigned them to other players (Ginobili/Barry and Bowen). That can really kill a player's confidence. I think Popovich was just doing his job as a coach and keeping Parker's spirits up.

ducks
07-02-2005, 10:14 AM
I think Popovich was just doing his job as a coach and keeping Parker's spirits up.

yeah I can see that since tp played so great d in game
I think timvp pointed out that tp gave up like 2 points in game 7 late in the fourth and that was with 10 seconds left

spurschick
07-02-2005, 10:16 AM
How long til October?

The only thing I know about is Spurs vs. Wizards in North Carolina on Oct. 13.

ALVAREZ6
07-02-2005, 10:23 AM
15 year olds who think they know Basketball are not allowed to participate in this debate.

end of discussion.

Chicks that follow Tony only because he's cute who think they know Basketball are not allowed to participate in this debate.

end of discussion.

1Parker1
07-02-2005, 09:08 PM
BUMP.

Still waiting for Brewski's response..........

1Parker1
07-02-2005, 10:27 PM
he could of made the 2005 all star team

Nah, 2005 was Manu's breakout year. He took his game to the next level this season.

2006--I expect Parker to take over.

nanya
07-03-2005, 07:13 PM
his team won the nba championship 2 times :rolleyes

Carnac
07-03-2005, 08:39 PM
The annual "Tony Parker will be an All-Star this season" thread?
Or is this the annual, "Is this the season Tony Parker will become the best PG in the game?"
Happens every year.

Carnac
07-03-2005, 08:47 PM
the only guy totally ahead of Parker in the West is Nash. If Nash has an average season coaches are going to bump Parker over him

No the coaches won't do that. What has Parker done that would make the coaches be ready to pounce all over him if Nash shows signs of slowing?

As far as PGs in the west better than Parker, I would throw The Baron on that list as well. Maybe Mike Bibby, too.

ALVAREZ6
07-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Even if Tony Parker doesn't make the all-star team, who gives a shit. The all-star starters are selected by popularity, and there's not much you can do when China is the home of half the people in the world. The coaches pick the rest of the players, but that doesn't mean that the best players will always be chosen. I'd take a championship ring and its memories over an all-star game any day.

TheTruth
07-03-2005, 09:12 PM
he wont make it

to many guards playing in the west and a few could get traded or signed over too (never know)

kobe
tmac
manu
allen
nash
baron

parker??? naa
agreed

ducks
07-03-2005, 10:31 PM
allen may be in the east next year
nash will be a year older also

spurs do not need allstars at every postion

1Parker1
07-03-2005, 10:45 PM
he wont make it

to many guards playing in the west and a few could get traded or signed over too (never know)

kobe
tmac
manu
allen
nash
baron

parker??? naa

Based on your list, as far as PG's go in the West, Parker's only competition is Nash and Baron. Nash I will admit had a great season last season and can clearly be chosen over Parker. However, Baron Davis.....did you watch that OT game last season where Parker went shot for shot with Davis? I think Parker has shown that he can keep up with the likes of guys like Nash and Davis.

And don't even get me started on Bibby. That dude is softer than Charman's toliet paper. Did you see his major choke job in the first round? :rolleyes

ducks
12-01-2005, 11:12 PM
because when he has a game like he did tonight on the road against a rival

E20
12-01-2005, 11:14 PM
The fact that Tony's scoring and assits are up from previous years.

SpursIndonesia
12-01-2005, 11:30 PM
No the coaches won't do that. What has Parker done that would make the coaches be ready to pounce all over him if Nash shows signs of slowing?

As far as PGs in the west better than Parker, I would throw The Baron on that list as well. Maybe Mike Bibby, too.

BaronDiddy & MiniMe do play better & are more deserving for the Allstar spot, do they ? :lol

IceColdBrewski
12-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Damn. I don't even remember starting this thread. :lol

Sense
12-01-2005, 11:48 PM

I'm listening.

cuz you're a douche....

that's why..

IceColdBrewski
12-02-2005, 12:02 AM
cuz you're a douche....

that's why..

I've started tons of Parker threads. You expect me to remeber one from last summer? Damn Sense. It's obvious that I got DEEPLY under your skin at some point. I've noticed the animosity before, but figured you'd get over it. Do yourself a favor and let it go big fella.

If That's not possible, you should at least try to hide it by skipping the childish insults. :lol

T Park
12-02-2005, 01:15 AM
Waiting for Brewski's explanation on how horrible Parker looks.

spurs=bling
12-02-2005, 01:21 AM
like Barkley would say about manu, i'm saying the same about tony

thats a bad boy ernie thats a bad boy

IceColdBrewski
12-02-2005, 01:49 AM
Waiting for Brewski's explanation on how horrible Parker looks.

I've already given Parker his props for playing well early in the season. Despite clowns like you and Sense who insist that I bring Parker up only when he has a bad game, the truth remains that I call em like I see em. I know homers like you love to sugarcoat everything, but up until this year, he was inconsistent at best. Maybe this year will change that. I'll wait until after his career is over before I put him in the Hall of Fame though. :rolleyes

ambchang
12-02-2005, 03:28 PM
because it seems like Manu will not make it.

JamStone
12-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash
Ray Allen
Manu Ginobili
Baron Davis

Those guys are better bets than Tony Parker.

And, guys like Mike Bibby, Jason Richardson, and Sam Cassell might warrant some consideration as well as Tony Parker. It would not be surprising to see Tony Parker make it. But, it's far from a guarantee.

Spurminator
12-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Mike Bibby is having a horrible season. Kobe will probably get voted in.

Tony will be on the bubble like Manu last year, but I think he'll get in ahead of Manu if it's between the two of them.

1Parker1
12-02-2005, 05:25 PM
I'll wait until after his career is over before I put him in the Hall of Fame though. :rolleyes

Maybe you should also wait undermining him and his potential until his career is over. :rolleyes

JamStone
12-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Mike Bibby is having a horrible season. Kobe will probably get voted in.

The Kings have not been that good this year and Bibby hasn't been great, but he hasn't been horrible.

He's still averaging 19 ppg and shooting 43% from 3-pt range, 88% from the free throw line. Many head coaches still regard him as one of the top point guards in the league.

Tony Parker's numbers might be better ... but not that better.

Spurminator
12-02-2005, 06:20 PM
He's had to carry more of the scoring load with Peja out, but Peja's back now. And his APG is horrible (3.9).

T Park
12-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Baron Davis is having a better year than Parker??

Slightly.

If Phoenix, having the best record, got 3 in last year.

The Spurs oughtta get Ginobili, Parker and Duncan in this year.

Its only fair.

JamStone
12-02-2005, 07:23 PM
He's had to carry more of the scoring load with Peja out, but Peja's back now. And his APG is horrible (3.9).

Having to take more of the scoring load or not, Bibby is still shooting .456 from the field, which is more than solid. His assists are definitely down, but he could easily bump that up in the next two months. Plus he's commiting more than one fewer turnover than Tony Parker.

Like I said earlier, he's not having a horrible season. And, he's still highly regarded by many coaches. Parker is having a better year ... but not that much better. And, it comes down to a subjective vote by the coaches.

Frenchise player
12-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Nash and Bryant are the only one garanteed so far.
Allen is playing for a disapointing Seattle team, Davis is shooting really bad and Manu isn't at the same level of last year so far.
Tony is averaging 55FG%, that's crazy for a PG, he is becomming more and more clutch (one big improvement from last year when he was Mr. first quarter) and simply is the best player (with TD) of the best team in the west.
To my mind that is more than enough to make the ASG.

ALVAREZ6
12-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Tony will make it if he keeps playing like this.

SpursIndonesia
12-03-2005, 01:58 AM
The way i observe on other team boards & also independent ones, many of posters there already acknowledge his improvement as of late, and putting him into a probable allstar player cathegory, for instance you could check basketballboards.net nba forum, there's a thread about who's gonna play in the allstar game this season, and Tony's name is mentioned often :)

xcoriate
12-03-2005, 02:10 AM
Baron Davis wont make it. POn first look 16 and 9 is good then if you look closer 33% from the field? That aint gonna cut it.

TPMG2007
12-03-2005, 03:25 AM
I agree. If Baron makes it on his 33% shooting, I'll choke the fans who voted him in or the coaches. Well, if he stops chucking threes and increases his % I won't. If stats were everything, Manu wouldn't have made it last year. Bibby didn't make it last year, if Sac is worse, how does he have a better chance of making it? Of course Seattle is also worse, so maybe it helps slightly. Bibby's numbers are less than Tony's. Bibby is averaging about 4 assists. If the Spurs are the 1 seed, he has a great chance of making it. Ray Allen is averaging 24 points and his numbers aren't too far off from Tony's. Does that mean he deserves to be an All-Star? No, because his team is crap and no one cares. Kobe doesn't even deserve a spot since his team is last. Sure he can get 40 with 40 shots, but that doesn't mean he deserves a spot over others. It's early, so I hope Sac and Seattle don't turn it around.

5ToolMan
12-03-2005, 09:42 AM
You hit the nail flat on the head. The crazy thing is that only a handfull of us seem to notice it. I literally cringe everytime Parker drives into a wall of defenders because I know that something bad in probably going to happen. Manu was responsible for most of the offensive output in the Finals but somehow Parker is already getting the credit. Ginobili was the main reason the first 2 games were blowouts. Then he gets injured and suddenly we start losing.

Psst .. the reason the Spurs "started losing" had more to do with Piston's home court, and all the swings in style of play and momentum that come from it, than Manu's injury.

The way you rag on Parker is almost as stupid as fools who used to rag on Duncan in his brief moments of failure. It is hoops, a fluid game of motion, momentum and ebb and flow. Get with the game. Don't hate the player for what you don't know, don't understand, or won't admit!

Tony's given skill, mostly speed, quickness and balls of steel have always allowed him to deliver more upside than what his youth and inexperience have cost the Spurs. Your first clue to that is that fact is that Pop has started him since he joined the Spurs as a 17 year kid. Your second clue is that Tony now has more rings, more points and more assists than any player of his age in the History of the NBA.

On top of holding ALL TIME NBA RECORDS, Tony is adding a midrange shot, learning to control the pace of the game and playing solid defense to the other great things he brings. Yet somehow, I don't see you backing off on the ignorance and hate.

Hate generates blindless, as focus narrows, often to the insignificant. Expand your view, and perhaps you will understand what has taken Tony well on his way to an all time NBA great. You know, things like positive All-Time NBA Records, championship rings, points, big shots etc... etc... etc...

5ToolMan
12-03-2005, 09:47 AM
I honestly think Popovich had to credit Parker with something. I mean he took most of his primary duties from him and assigned them to other players (Ginobili/Barry and Bowen). That can really kill a player's confidence. I think Popovich was just doing his job as a coach and keeping Parker's spirits up.

Pop's praise of Tony's D was after the season was over, dipshit. Tony and the Spurs won. The Tony haters lost ... again. Walk away with what dignity you have left. :lol

1Parker1
12-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Parker is having a better year ... but not that much better...

Tony Parker is currently one of only two players in the NBA (the other being Kevin Garnett) who is in the top 25 in Scoring, FG%, and Assists.

He is currently playing light years ahead of Bibby. Give credit where credit is due.

Now I'm not in any way predicting that Parker will continue this level of play throughout the season or even guaranteeing that he'll make the All Star team, because as u said, there are many other people who deserve it more...but Bibby is not one of them.

pjjrfan
12-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Parker will get in because of his scoring and his team's record. I'm not really happy that he is doing a lot of one on one where he keeps the ball and looks for his shot and doesn't pass it around, but I do want him to be a consistent scoring threat and get really good at nailing those mid range jumpers. I just wish he had better court vision, but hey you can't have everything. But really, I don't see anyone else in the west outplaying him or being more important to his team at this time. I'm not counting Nash, since the guy is basically a shoo in. That kid Paul might get some consideration as will Cassell I think. I'm pretty sure Tony is in unless he hits a wall, which I don't want, I just want him to make better decisions with the ball and really be dangerous, which he pretty much is right now anyway because of his speed and quickness.

rayray2k8
12-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Duncan WILL make the all-star.
Manu, not so as duncan getting in.
and parker, well because "quite frankly" he been playing like
one! He hasnt been up and down lately, hes been consistant.

tim_duncan_fan
12-03-2005, 04:23 PM
I think Duncan will be joining Parker in th ASG this year if yall know what I mean.
And if you don't then I'll spell it out.

Parker will get more All-Star votes than Duncan if things stay like they are with Duncan not taking any shots in the 4th and parker taking over the game for us.

LittleGeneral
12-03-2005, 05:49 PM
duncan will get more votes than parker

bank on it

confidently,
littlegeneral

2centsworth
12-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Baron Davis is having a better year than Parker??

Slightly.

If Phoenix, having the best record, got 3 in last year.

The Spurs oughtta get Ginobili, Parker and Duncan in this year.

Its only fair.
Did anyone notice Baron almost wanting to cry every time he had to guard Parker. Parker Owns Davis more than any other.

ducks
12-03-2005, 10:18 PM
parker another awesome game

5ToolMan
12-04-2005, 11:02 AM
1) Pop says TP is having an Allstar season.

2) Pop will be the coach of the Allstar Game again this year.

3) Pop and the other coaches will pick TP because Pop says TP is having an Allstar season.

4) No other reasons matter. End of thread.

strangeweather
12-04-2005, 11:15 AM
I agree. If Baron makes it on his 33% shooting, I'll choke the fans who voted him in or the coaches.

On the other hand, he's averaging almost 10 assists a game, and was the catalyst for turning around Golden State, which has been horrible for over a decade, but is now 12-6 and tied with Dallas for 5th place in the West.

His shooting percentage shouldn't be ignored, but it's not the only factor.

strangeweather
12-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash
Ray Allen
Manu Ginobili
Baron Davis

Based on his performance so far this season, if Manu makes it in ahead of Tony, it will be on reputation. Tony is having a much better season so far.

I think an all-star roster at guard that includes Kobe, Nash, Allen, Davis, and TP is perfectly plausible, OTOH (if it were decided today -- obviously, things can change).

TPMG2007
12-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Okay, maybe I was too hasty. He has great assist numbers and his team is winning. I would have more of a problem with Bibby or Allen getting in right now. He still has to stop chucking threes though. I think Kobe, Nash, TP, Davis and Manu when he picks it up. I don't want to see Allen there. Possibly Sam Cassell on second thought as well. His assists are good and the Clippers are winning.

wildbill2u
12-05-2005, 11:20 AM

I'm listening.

If things keep going the way they are, Parker will replace Gino on the squad. So far, he's taken his game to a new level this season

IceColdBrewski
12-05-2005, 05:41 PM
If things keep going the way they are, Parker will replace Gino on the squad. So far, he's taken his game to a new level this season

Parker will NEVER have the all-around skills, or the heart that Gino has.

Frenchise player
12-05-2005, 06:09 PM
And Ginobili will never have Eva Longoria as his wife, what's your point?
Parker is just playing better than Ginobili at this point. If the ASG was a matter of playing with his heart, Kobe will never be there and Malik Rose would be in his tenth in a row.
And what's the point to restart all the Ginobili vs Parker bullshit?

1Parker1
12-05-2005, 06:22 PM
I don't get it? How can you even compare "heart"? How can you judge Tony's game vs Manu's when it comes to that? Just because Tony doesn't show his emotions doesn't mean he doesn't have heart...

The Artest Factor
12-05-2005, 07:50 PM
I don't think Manu makes it this year. TOo many superior shooting guards in the West.
As of now the SG's for the West should be Kobe (starter) backed up by Jason Richardson and Ray Allen. Thent here's T-Mac and Maggette, who may be considered shooting guards, I'm not sure.
These guys are just too young, too skilled, and too good to warrant being replaced by the aging Manu Ginobili in the All-Star game.

IceColdBrewski
12-05-2005, 11:42 PM
And what's the point to restart all the Ginobili vs Parker bullshit?

Good question. Maybe you should take it up with the people that restarted it instead of whining to me about it.

ducks
12-05-2005, 11:47 PM
how did the eagles do tonight ice?

IceColdBrewski
12-05-2005, 11:53 PM
how did the eagles do tonight ice?

LOL. Somehow I knew my haters fanclub would find a way to incorporate a little Eagles jab in there. Sorry kid, but I went into "hope they keep losing and get a better draft pick" mode halfway through the Broncos game. Nice try, but you already missed your chance to pour salt in the wound.

T Park
12-06-2005, 01:02 AM

grumpy little Parker hater are we.

Another 20 point night.

Another night Brewski goes to bed depressed.

hope they keep losing and get a better draft pick"

What a suprise.

IceColdBrewski
12-06-2005, 09:06 AM
grumpy little Parker hater are we.

Another 20 point night.

Another night Brewski goes to bed depressed.

Yes, I go to bed depressed whenever Parker does well. As usual you seem to have a good grasp on things. :rolleyes

What a suprise

Coming from the guy who abandoned the Spurs right in the middle of the playoffs. What a suprise. How's that whole, "I'm a man of my word" fiasco coming along?