PDA

View Full Version : Carribean/Central America Vacation Suggestions

symple19
01-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Me and the GF want to do a Caribbean or Central America trip this spring (Late March). Wondering if anybody out there had any good experiences or suggestions they could pass along

Ideally to a place without too many drunk college kids

Thanks

symple19
01-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Up to $3000 price range or so, preferably all-inclusive

no cruises

cantthinkofanything
01-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Up to $3000 price range or so, preferably all-inclusive

no cruises

Probably lots of options.
I can recommend Jamaica, Runaway Bay. It's kind of in the middle so it's not as crowded as Ocho Rios or Negril. Lots of good excursions that aren't too far a bus ride. Nice beach. I know that Breezes Runaway Bay doesn't allow kids. Has 5 restaurants.

symple19
01-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Yeah, definitely don't want to be around fat Americans with eighty kids so Adults only is another requirement

We both would like to do a bit more than just lounge on the beach, so a place with some history or lots of things to do would be preferable

symple19
01-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Probably lots of options.
I can recommend Jamaica, Runaway Bay. It's kind of in the middle so it's not as crowded as Ocho Rios or Negril. Lots of good excursions that aren't too far a bus ride. Nice beach. I know that Breezes Runaway Bay doesn't allow kids. Has 5 restaurants.

Thanks, will check them out... I was thinking Turks and Caicos or Belize... Jamaica/Bahamas may be overrun with spring breakers, but I don't think the all-inclusive spots will be (then again, I may be wrong)

cantthinkofanything
01-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Yeah, definitely don't want to be around fat Americans with eighty kids so Adults only is another requirement

We both would like to do a bit more than just lounge on the beach, so a place with some history or lots of things to do would be preferable

ah...probably not Runaway Bay then. Probably not even Jamaica.

Central American with the various ancient sites might be more up your ally.

DesignatedT
01-19-2013, 01:01 AM
San Pedro/Caye Caulker, Belize. Probably my favorite destination that I've been to. Just a small Island with Golf Carts. Very primitive but most everybody speaks English as well. Flew into Belize City and took a Cessna to the Island. They are two separate islands but you can travel between the two very easy. One of the greatest places on earth to dive as well if you are at all interested in that. Great spot. I've also heard that Costa Rica is the place to visit these days but haven't been there myself.

DesignatedT
01-19-2013, 01:10 AM
Bahamas is overpriced and overrun with people. So expensive and too Americanized for me. I prefer more primitive/blend in with the locals type of destinations. As far as Belize goes, There are many activities to take part in on the Islands and I've also heard of people traveling back to the mainland to do the old Mayan ruins atv tours and all that. Something to look into as well.

The Reckoning
01-19-2013, 01:23 AM
cayman islands.

belize is the shit. go see the great blue hole.

symple19
01-19-2013, 01:43 AM
Thanks guys :tu

CosmicCowboy
01-21-2013, 10:38 AM
You should join Groupon...every two or three weeks they have some great deals on some luxury resorts in Belize...Good combo of awesome beaches/water, fishing, diving, and mayan history.

tlongII
01-21-2013, 11:49 AM
I've heard Costa Rica is nice.

Soul_Patch
01-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Take a look at the Costa Maya area of Mexico, just north of Belize. Very unpopulated, very near a lot of mayan ruins, cheap, nice beaches.

symple19
01-21-2013, 04:41 PM
You should join Groupon...every two or three weeks they have some great deals on some luxury resorts in Belize...Good combo of awesome beaches/water, fishing, diving, and mayan history.

Already got Groupon/Living Social...

While there are good deals, it's also going out to a million other people which is why I have some reservations

Belize has always been at the top of my list, but much of it looks booked right now, unfortunately

Thanks for the feedback :tu

symple19
01-21-2013, 04:42 PM
I've heard Costa Rica is nice.

Definitely a possibility

symple19
01-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Take a look at the Costa Maya area of Mexico, just north of Belize. Very unpopulated, very near a lot of mayan ruins, cheap, nice beaches.

Interesting

I've already done Cancun/Tulum, so I'm not sure this would be a whole lot different. Love that it's a place I've never heard of before

benefactor
01-22-2013, 07:12 AM
cayman islands.

This. Grand Cayman is beautiful and clean. Swimming with the stingrays was awesome.

gameFACE
01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
This thread really makes me want to take a beach vacation. Went to Tulum in '04. Loved that place.