PDA

View Full Version : A Complete Catalog of Manu's Injuries

cd021
01-19-2013, 01:04 PM
From Spurs Nation

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2013/01/12-13ManuInjuries.jpg

Since making his debut with the Spurs in 2002, Manu Ginobili has become known for three things: Winning, flair and injuries. The Argentine shooting guard — nicknamed “El Contusion” early in his career — has missed 142 regular season games with 28 injuries and one illness while being held out of a handful of others by head coach Gregg Popovich. (That doesn’t include a broken nose suffered in the 2010 playoffs and a fractured forearm that hampered him in the 2011 postseason.) Express-News staff writer Dan McCarney charts the Spurs’ history, which remains shockingly good at 90-52 (.634), when Ginobili has been forced out of the lineup:

2002-03: Sprained right ankle (11 games); bruised ribs (one game); DNP-CD (one game). Spurs went 10-3.

2003-04: Strained back (five games). Spurs went 4-1.

2004-05: Strained neck (one game); bruised right thigh (one game); strained right groin (five games); DNP-CD (one game). Spurs went 6-2.
2005-06: Bone bruise, right ankle (two games); sprained right foot (eight games); sprained right ankle (three games); left calf/quadriceps contusions (one game); left calf/shin contusions (three games). Spurs went 12-5

2006-07: Bruised back (four games); stomach virus (one game); shin contusion (two games). Spurs went 2-5.
2007-08: Sprained left index finger (five games); strained left groin (three games). Spurs went 5-3.
2008-09: Torn ligament, left ankle (12 games); left hip contusion (one game); sore right ankle (19 games); stress fracture, right ankle (six games plus playoffs). Spurs went 22-16.
2009-10: Left groin strain (five games); back spasms (one game); DNP-CD (one game); broke nose against Dallas in the playoffs. Spurs went 4-3.
2010-11: Left quadriceps contusion (one game); DNP-CD (one game); fractured right forearm in final regular season game. Spurs went 0-2.
2011-12: Fractured right hand (22 games); strained left oblique (five games); tight right hip flexor (one game); DNP-CD (four games). Spurs went 22-10.
2012-13: Back spasms (two games); DNP-CD (one game); bruised left quadriceps (one game); strained left hamstring (TBD). Spurs are 3-2.

From Spurs Nation

ElNono
01-19-2013, 02:07 PM
DNP-CD are crippling... He had so many, it's a miracle he's still playing...

timvp
01-19-2013, 02:14 PM
You owe me a new scroll wheel.

JK. Honestly, a lot of those are either fluke injuries or hustle injuries. If he didn't play so hard, he would have gotten injured less during his career. But if he didn't play as hard, he wouldn't be as good.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Manu honestly deserves a statue at the AT&T center.

Bill Simmons nailed it on the head when he said we'd see 10 more Dwyane Wades before we see another Manu Ginobili.

cd021
01-19-2013, 03:48 PM
You owe me a new scroll wheel.

JK. Honestly, a lot of those are either fluke injuries or hustle injuries. If he didn't play so hard, he would have gotten injured less during his career. But if he didn't play as hard, he wouldn't be as good.

The crazy thing is that the picture has really small print just to fit it all of the injuries on it.

With the exception of 2008, 2009 & 2010 Manu has been mostly health heading into the playoffs. Thats worth mentioning too.

freetiago
01-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Ya most of manus injuries come from the defensive end
the last one where he stepped back is just from him finally entering TOSB territory

before that
he injured his elbow on a grant hill screen
injured his oblique on a blake griffin screen
injured his hand on help defense swiping the ball

those were the mulitple game missed injures hes gotten in the past 2 years

ElNono
01-19-2013, 05:09 PM

Bill Simmons nailed it on the head when he said we'd see 10 more Dwyane Wades before we see another Manu Ginobili.

I just looked that up... that's from the 2011 playoffs...

27. "Don't seem possible."
28. "It don't."
29. "That's some Spiderman sh*t there. We missed our shot. Now he goin' be at us."

For the single greatest play of Round 1: Manu Ginobili's incredible 3-that-was-eventually-ruled-a-2 near the end of Game 5 against Memphis. Let's at least agree that this was (A) the most important replay review in league history, (B) one of the unluckiest defensive sequences you could ever have, and (C) one of the randomly greatest pressure shots in league history given the stakes. A quick running diary ...

09.4 secs left -- McDyess throws a terrible inbounds pass to Ginobili that Trick or Treat Tony Allen picks off but somehow doesn't catch. The ball ricochets to McDyess, who decides it's a good idea to take a 20-foot running hook with Marc Gasol standing right in front of him.

06.9 -- Gasol blocks the shot right to Trick or Treat Tony, who somehow can't catch the ball a second time even though it skins his head and hits both of his hands.

05.9 -- Ginobili ends up with the ball right in front of San Antonio's bench. He starts to dribble to the top of the key and quickly realizes that both Allen and Zach Randolph are blocking him. He whirls to dribble toward the right corner.

0:53 -- Click on this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2OYMmTkP6o) and go to the nine-second mark of it, then pause the clip with 0.53 seconds on the clock. You'll see Manu with his back to the basket and THREE Grizzlies closing in on him: Gasol closest to the baseline, then Allen, then Randolph. Odds of Ginobili scoring at this specific point: five kajillion to one.

0:47 -- Manu whirls toward the corner and decides (I'm translating from Spanish), "I'm going to get to the corner, plant my feet, and shoot a 3-pointer falling out of bounds with a 7-footer closing in on me, and this is definitely going to work."

0:38 -- Manu pulls off everything from the previous paragraph. Gasol misses blocking it by a fraction of a fingernail. Referee Bob Delaney is so stunned by the sequence that, with the ball in the air, he signals a "3" with his left hand and a "2" with his right hand. By the way, this wasn't even one of his five worst calls of the game. Somewhere in Scumville, Tim Donaghy nods happily.

0:22 -- The ball swishes through the hoop with Manu standing three feet out of bounds. Good God.

As you know, his left foot ended up being on the line, preventing it from going down as one of the greatest random saving-our-asses shot ever. If you're looking at the larger picture here, Ginobili will make the Hall of Fame someday because of his three rings and his 2004 gold medal, and what he meant internationally, and for all the other reasons anyone would mention in this paragraph. Still, for someone staring at his basketball-reference.com page (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/ginobma01.html) in sixty years, there's just no way to translate his supernatural ability to roll with any situation on a basketball court. His soccer DNA gives him a freelancing ability that nobody else quite has, and really, that ridiculous 3-turned-2 was more of a soccer play than anything. He wasn't the best 2-guard of his generation or anything, but I'm pretty sure we'll see 10 more Dwyane Wades before we see another Ginobili.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/part1/110503&sportCat=nba

DPG21920
01-19-2013, 05:16 PM
I think everyone loves Manu but bad luck or not a lot of his injuries have led to a lot of "what-ifs" for the Spurs and that sucks. Hopefully he can avoid the consistent bad luck Tha plagues him more than most for this playoff. Spurs have 0 shot without him.

DPG21920
01-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Also, all these injuries/age considered, can Pop afford to increase his minutes? At 24MPG he has already shown the capacity to get a variety of injuries so as the season progresses and you need him to play 35-40MPG in the playoffs is that even possible? Do you have to roll the dice and if he gets injured so be it?

MmP
01-19-2013, 05:30 PM
What I love about this list the most is:

2008-09: stress fracture, right ankle (six games plus playoffs). Spurs went 22-16.

Thats when Spurs FO considered acquiring a scoring option for the Spurs. Vince Carter was rumored as a trade, I think, and what eventually became RJ. Big Fail.

TMTTRIO
01-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Sad thing is the only thing Manu will be remembered or known for is being injury prone or being the reason why the Spurs didn't make it all the way. It's not like he has many or any NBA accomplishments other than being lucky to be a part of three NBA championships. His NBA resume isn't that impressive at all. I'd hate to see him continue to go down with injuries like he has. This is the reason I say for his sake I hope he decides to retire. At least his gold medal and his other international accomplishments will probably get him into the HOF alone.

Dr. Robert Lee
01-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Sad thing is the only thing Manu will be remembered or known for is being injury prone or being the reason why the Spurs didn't make it all the way. It's not like he has many or any NBA accomplishments other than being lucky to be a part of three NBA championships. His NBA resume isn't that impressive at all. I'd hate to see him continue to go down with injuries like he has. This is the reason I say for his sake I hope he decides to retire. At least his gold medal and his other international accomplishments will probably get him into the HOF alone.
This post is pathetic and desperate.

He's a fucking future Hall of Famer, bro. Get with it.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-19-2013, 11:29 PM

28. "It don't."
29. "That's some Spiderman sh*t there. We missed our shot. Now he goin' be at us."

For the single greatest play of Round 1: Manu Ginobili's incredible 3-that-was-eventually-ruled-a-2 near the end of Game 5 against Memphis. Let's at least agree that this was (A) the most important replay review in league history, (B) one of the unluckiest defensive sequences you could ever have, and (C) one of the randomly greatest pressure shots in league history given the stakes. A quick running diary ...

09.4 secs left -- McDyess throws a terrible inbounds pass to Ginobili that Trick or Treat Tony Allen picks off but somehow doesn't catch. The ball ricochets to McDyess, who decides it's a good idea to take a 20-foot running hook with Marc Gasol standing right in front of him.

06.9 -- Gasol blocks the shot right to Trick or Treat Tony, who somehow can't catch the ball a second time even though it skins his head and hits both of his hands.

05.9 -- Ginobili ends up with the ball right in front of San Antonio's bench. He starts to dribble to the top of the key and quickly realizes that both Allen and Zach Randolph are blocking him. He whirls to dribble toward the right corner.

0:53 -- Click on this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2OYMmTkP6o) and go to the nine-second mark of it, then pause the clip with 0.53 seconds on the clock. You'll see Manu with his back to the basket and THREE Grizzlies closing in on him: Gasol closest to the baseline, then Allen, then Randolph. Odds of Ginobili scoring at this specific point: five kajillion to one.

0:47 -- Manu whirls toward the corner and decides (I'm translating from Spanish), "I'm going to get to the corner, plant my feet, and shoot a 3-pointer falling out of bounds with a 7-footer closing in on me, and this is definitely going to work."

0:38 -- Manu pulls off everything from the previous paragraph. Gasol misses blocking it by a fraction of a fingernail. Referee Bob Delaney is so stunned by the sequence that, with the ball in the air, he signals a "3" with his left hand and a "2" with his right hand. By the way, this wasn't even one of his five worst calls of the game. Somewhere in Scumville, Tim Donaghy nods happily.

0:22 -- The ball swishes through the hoop with Manu standing three feet out of bounds. Good God.

As you know, his left foot ended up being on the line, preventing it from going down as one of the greatest random saving-our-asses shot ever. If you're looking at the larger picture here, Ginobili will make the Hall of Fame someday because of his three rings and his 2004 gold medal, and what he meant internationally, and for all the other reasons anyone would mention in this paragraph. Still, for someone staring at his basketball-reference.com page (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/ginobma01.html) in sixty years, there's just no way to translate his supernatural ability to roll with any situation on a basketball court. His soccer DNA gives him a freelancing ability that nobody else quite has, and really, that ridiculous 3-turned-2 was more of a soccer play than anything. He wasn't the best 2-guard of his generation or anything, but I'm pretty sure we'll see 10 more Dwyane Wades before we see another Ginobili.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/part1/110503&sportCat=nba

Nice find buddy, I remember being devastated when the replay showed that Manu's shot was a 2, not a 3.

Nice recap by Simmons

Trimble87
01-19-2013, 11:39 PM

28. "It don't."

Thanks, I read this at the time but had completely forgotten about it.

Love him or hate him Simmons has a passion for Basketball and it shows in his writing, I always enjoy his takes on the Spurs.

Sean Cagney
01-20-2013, 03:28 AM
HIs playing style and playing all those summers caught up! He has miles on him, plus his style of play is wreckless and always was! I love Manu but he will get hurt alot and continue to get banged up! Competitor beyond belief but he is very injury prone.

Sean Cagney
01-20-2013, 03:39 AM

You missed a few years where he made key plays or his key threes or so in the playoffs, especially his 05 run. This post is pathetic, he has had great series and a key to our title runs, yes even in 03 as a rook he made key shots in the playoffs and some timely threes! LOL LUCKY! He was a key to this team since the beginning, period. You obviously did not watch at all or you are just flat out hating on the man.

hater
01-20-2013, 04:12 AM
Lmao hustle injuries

szkorhetz
01-20-2013, 05:36 AM

28. "It don't."

Possibly the most improbable shot in the NBA.

smeagol
01-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Competitor beyond belief but he is very injury prone.

He is injury prone because he is competitve . . . LJ said it best, please re-read his post.

McGusto55
01-20-2013, 11:12 AM
I dont give a shit..without manu would not have last 3 rings....

LittleCriminal
01-20-2013, 12:39 PM
With this Thread Title in Mind, Don't you think if they ever put a statue of Manu at the At&t center Spurs fans would trip over it?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJ7KdVvzsyKRMBIVC3VPxr4vzJqyEzA Ixa9-1lYC25xTocQJ7v

Kidding Aside.
Manu Will Always be My Favorite Player.
I would chip In personal finances for a statue of him to be built and placed at the At&t center.

dunkman
01-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Great player, but too injury prone.

Ice009
01-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Sad thing is the only thing Manu will be remembered or known for is being injury prone or being the reason why the Spurs didn't make it all the way. It's not like he has many or any NBA accomplishments other than being lucky to be a part of three NBA championships. His NBA resume isn't that impressive at all.

I'm sorry, but that post is fucking retarded. You're either hating or are a complete retard in regards to basketball.

slick'81
01-20-2013, 04:21 PM
yeah bottom line is dude is made or ranch doritos

Kuestmaster
01-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Honestly, I thought Manu did miss more games than the graphic shows.
As said before, Manu is reckless. If he didn't play the way he does he wouldn't be as great as he is.

hater
01-20-2013, 05:24 PM
A toda madre o un desmadre

Sean Cagney
01-21-2013, 12:56 AM
He is injury prone because he is competitve . . . LJ said it best, please re-read his post.

I don't need to re read his post! Duncan is a competitor as well beyond belief and there are others out there. Manu threw his body around alot and played for years on end summers etc. His body just broke down that is all! I am not mad at him at all as he is a reason we have a title or two! I love Manu and his game, he is a pure competitor and will make mistakes while doing that a few times and throw his body around and get hurt more! There are plenty who are competitive though and are not injury prone! He just threw his body around more which is fine with me because he gave it his all!!!!!!! MANU FOREVER! He is one of my faves to ever watch in this game.
Honestly, I thought Manu did miss more games than the graphic shows.
As said before, Manu is reckless. If he didn't play the way he does he wouldn't be as great as he is.

LOL I thought he missed more too! I agree as well with the last part.
I dont give a shit..without manu would not have last 3 rings....

You could say that for Bowen etc. on this team! A TEAM GAME! With that said MANU even in his rookie year made timely shots and threes etc. He started a 4 Q run in Dallas in game 6 in 03 with a layup and a big three! NJ game 6 with a steal! He also hit a huge shot at the end of a game against NJ that ICED IT! He played a huge role his rookie year and hit some huge shots.

I remember game 6 gainst PHX, he hit some huge threes! He just had that IT not many have even in his rookie year! I looked at him in 03 and his play and said this is not an average rookie! He just looked like a winner and played like one.

Spur|n|Austin
01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Because he plays hard as f*ck; he has more heart than most players to ever step on the hardwood.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Dude never goes half-speed. His injury list would be a lot shorter if he played like most NBAers.

TheGreatYacht
06-20-2014, 11:21 AM
OP needs to add the

2013-2014 injuries
2014-2015 injuries

cd021
06-20-2014, 07:56 PM
He did play all 45 playoff games over the past two playoffs

Skull-1
06-20-2014, 08:45 PM

Thats cuz bullish black guys are genetically superior physically to skinny, injury prone whiteys. Also, and more importantly, Americans are far better nourished than just about anyone on the planet. It sure helped us when fighting the Brits back in the day.

Skull-1
06-20-2014, 08:49 PM

I am beginning to agree with this narrative. Dude helped in 2003 and 2005 but has basically hitched his wagon to way better players.

Skull-1
06-20-2014, 08:50 PM
I dont give a shit..without manu would not have lost 3 rings....

Fify.

Skull-1
06-20-2014, 08:51 PM
With this Thread Title in Mind, Don't you think if they ever put a statue of Manu at the At&t center Spurs fans would trip over it?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJ7KdVvzsyKRMBIVC3VPxr4vzJqyEzA Ixa9-1lYC25xTocQJ7v

:lol

ElNono
06-20-2014, 08:53 PM
He did play all 45 playoff games over the past two playoffs

yup... heck, Kawhi missed more games than him the past two seasons, IIRC...

Skull-1
06-20-2014, 08:55 PM
yup... heck, Kawhi missed more games than him the past two seasons, IIRC...

:lol

Losing Leonard way worse than losing TOSB.

Manu shows up. Passes to the other team. Not a valuable "skill" tbqh.

ElNono
06-20-2014, 09:05 PM
:lol I don't get why the same posters that are seething mad that Manu is going to play for his national team are the same posters that keep saying he doesn't do anything right for the Spurs...

coincidentally the same posters that were fronting a Gino avatar not two days ago... :lmao