PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jefferson is dodging the Spurs!

Embedded
01-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Jefferson played against the Heat on Wednesday. He played against the Hornets on Saturday. So why didn't he play against us on Friday? (DNP - Coach's decision). I saw one play where his enormous head wobbled when a defender blew his breath on him. UNfortunately, for RJ, that's not a foul. Unless it's Ronny Turiaf, then I hear his breath is so bad that would be a foul.

I know flopping is illegal, but is unjustified head wobbling illegal? Will he get a fine?

Why doesn't RJ want to play againsty us?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzh5qSFuTKD1DnG4VTX2c7DNYVPusd3-H6WzqQAucCXPLiJ-nB6w

BackHome
01-20-2013, 12:15 PM
His team is in tank mode they don't want to win.

buttsR4rebounding
01-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Dude, he has played in only 20 games all year (about half of his teams games). He has played a total of 230 minutes. He is not avoiding the Spurs. He is playing out the bonus contract the Spurs signed him to and collecting big bucks before he retires. Same thing you would do if given the opportunity.

LittleCriminal
01-20-2013, 12:25 PM
^ If they are in Tank mode they should play him.

dunkman
01-20-2013, 12:41 PM
I expected the Spurs to win the 'ship when they traded for RJ and signed Dice.

hooperflash
01-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Should've avoided Mr. Unibrow , tbh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsaeKogJ4o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

cd021
01-20-2013, 01:51 PM

Fuck outta here wit dat weak shit RJ.

therealtruth
01-20-2013, 02:13 PM

When I first heard of the trade I wasn't sure how RJ would fit and it would seem I was right. It just wasn't a good fit.

I. Hustle
01-20-2013, 03:16 PM
When I first heard of the trade I wasn't sure how RJ would fit and it would seem I was right. It just wasn't a good fit.

What did they sAy when you told them? You did tell them your thoughts didn't you?! I mean you are obviously a treasure chest full of basketball knowledge.

freetiago
01-20-2013, 03:19 PM
RJ wasnt a bad fit
Pop has no idea how to coach small forwards
he just wants to drop them in the corner and launch 3s
RJ wasnt a lock down defender or spot up shooter and we all knew that coming in but pop tried to use him that way
doing the same thing to leonard right now

and Duncan and Jefferson were joking around during shoot arounds

ThaBigFundamental21
01-20-2013, 03:52 PM
RJ wasnt a bad fit
Pop has no idea how to coach small forwards
he just wants to drop them in the corner and launch 3s
RJ wasnt a lock down defender or spot up shooter and we all knew that coming in but pop tried to use him that way
doing the same thing to leonard right now

and Duncan and Jefferson were joking around during shoot arounds

I think it is quite a bit easier to see that now seeing how Pop is doing the same to Leonard. I have seen posts on this site calling for Leonard to expand his game. All he is doing is settling for corner 3's. Given his freak athleticism doesn't it seem his role is somewhat underwhelming??? He is playing to Pop's game plan/coaching.

ffadicted
01-20-2013, 04:11 PM

God I fucking hate blocks like that, just gives another shot opportunity, might as well have been an offensive rebound for the other team.
You have to give your team a chance to recover the ball off blocks, otherwise they lose their effectiveness tenfold.

I mean look at that shit, he had 4 hornets around him, if he had just tapped the ball back there's like a 99% chance they would've recovered the ball. In fact, pretty sure he could've just palmed that weak ass shit and brought it down himself. Idiot

mosdef17
01-20-2013, 04:32 PM
God I fucking hate blocks like that, just gives another shot opportunity, might as well have been an offensive rebound for the other team.
You have to give your team a chance to recover the ball off blocks, otherwise they lose their effectiveness tenfold.

I mean look at that shit, he had 4 hornets around him, if he had just tapped the ball back there's like a 99% chance they would've recovered the ball. In fact, pretty sure he could've just palmed that weak ass shit and brought it down himself. Idiot

You say it like it's an easy thing to do, it's not always possible. There are intangible benefits for blocking a shot like this anyway when it is not possible to keep the ball inbounds.

silverblackfan
01-20-2013, 04:41 PM

Someone is spoiled watching Tim Duncan block the ball to his team all the time...

therealtruth
01-20-2013, 07:56 PM
You say it like it's an easy thing to do, it's not always possible. There are intangible benefits for blocking a shot like this anyway when it is not possible to keep the ball inbounds.

If you hear Bill Russell talk about blocking shots and there are psychological effects of seeing your shot get sent into the seats. It's embarrassing and usually makes you more passive. I'm not saying you spike every shot but there are times when it can be more effective cause it means the player will think twice about attacking the basket.

exstatic
01-20-2013, 08:14 PM
RJ ducked Spurs games even when he wore #24 in Silver and Black.

exstatic
01-20-2013, 08:17 PM
If you hear Bill Russell talk about blocking shots and there are psychological effects of seeing your shot get sent into the seats. It's embarrassing and usually makes you more passive. I'm not saying you spike every shot but there are times when it can be more effective cause it means the player will think twice about attacking the basket.

Meh. That's like saying a dunk is something psychologically devastating. It's two fucking points. NBA players aren't fazed by dunks or blocks. If you really want to intimidate them, keep the ball in play, and score on the break. That's much better than just giving them the ball back.

ffadicted
01-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Meh. That's like saying a dunk is something psychologically devastating. It's two fucking points. NBA players aren't fazed by dunks or blocks. If you really want to intimidate them, keep the ball in play, and score on the break. That's much better than just giving them the ball back.1

100% with this... unless you're a pussy, which shockingly there aren't a lot of in the NBA (majorty are actually over confident), this won't phase anyone at all... and if you're a pussy enough to let this matter, it'll matter regardless of whether or not you spike it or just block it normally.

If you have control of it (which davs most definitly did), it's a dumb play no matter how you spin it.

Sean Cagney
01-21-2013, 01:04 AM

QUITE a few of us did, thats why you play the game! I remember Stephen A SMITH saying we don't need Manu fully healthy anymore becuase we have RJ on the wing! That trade many thought gave the Spurs a big 4 and really swung momentum to the SPURS! I remember that well when they got him the talk. That trade was supposed to make them forget Bowen on D and we now had O at the 3!!!!!! He was a good defender and a 19ppg guy coming in! I remember waiting for it, saw him Dunk on ODEN and said maybe this is time he comes on strong now! That never came.

Ice009
01-21-2013, 08:05 AM
I think it is quite a bit easier to see that now seeing how Pop is doing the same to Leonard. I have seen posts on this site calling for Leonard to expand his game. All he is doing is settling for corner 3's. Given his freak athleticism doesn't it seem his role is somewhat underwhelming??? He is playing to Pop's game plan/coaching.

I take it you have never seen a freak athlete before?

Wasn't Russell a master of keeping the ball in play after a block? I find it odd that he said that.

dunkman
01-21-2013, 08:57 AM
QUITE a few of us did, thats why you play the game! I remember Stephen A SMITH saying we don't need Manu fully healthy anymore becuase we have RJ on the wing! That trade many thought gave the Spurs a big 4 and really swung momentum to the SPURS! I remember that well when they got him the talk. That trade was supposed to make them forget Bowen on D and we now had O at the 3!!!!!! He was a good defender and a 19ppg guy coming in! I remember waiting for it, saw him Dunk on ODEN and said maybe this is time he comes on strong now! That never came.

Even Pop said that he should be fired if the Spurs don't win a 'ship. Per Pop, RJ was to be Jack, without the drama and RJ was to bring something that the Spurs never had with Bowen - offense from the wing. And then, Hill resulted better player then Jefferson.

lurker23
01-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Meh. That's like saying a dunk is something psychologically devastating. It's two fucking points. NBA players aren't fazed by dunks or blocks. If you really want to intimidate them, keep the ball in play, and score on the break. That's much better than just giving them the ball back.

I've always been a bigger fan of keeping the ball in play than swatting it into the seats, but I do think there are a lot of role players who are psychologically impacted by an embarrassing block, losing some confidence and aggressiveness. That said, I agree that the better players in the league (i.e.- most starters) will just shrug it off and keep playing their game. If you try to show up the very tops in the league (e.g.- Lebron, Kobe, etc.), then it will just fuel them and make them more aggressive.

therealtruth
01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Even Pop said that he should be fired if the Spurs don't win a 'ship. Per Pop, RJ was to be Jack, without the drama and RJ was to bring something that the Spurs never had with Bowen - offense from the wing. And then, Hill resulted better player then Jefferson.

The problem I had is that it has been proved before there is only so much ball to go around on offense. You've never heard of a team with 4 20 point scorers. But RJ did signal when a period of years the Spurs would focus more on offense than defense. They're only now really going back to the defensive identity. I didn't like the move to offense and would have preferred the Spurs brought in a defensive stopper that could hit a 3 when open.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-21-2013, 11:58 AM
RJ ducked Spurs games even when he wore #24 in Silver and Black.

:tu

Nice! :lol

ThaBigFundamental21
01-21-2013, 05:26 PM
I take it you have never seen a freak athlete before?

Wasn't Russell a master of keeping the ball in play after a block? I find it odd that he said that.

I take it you are short changing Leonard?

elemento
01-21-2013, 05:53 PM
He can dodge whatever he wants as long he keeps his ass very far from SA. Worst contract given in SA history. At least Buford found a dumb GM to take his worthless ass .

hooperflash
02-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Dunk of the Night? Psh, it wasn't that great.. Only got it because there were only two games Thursday, tbh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNBJzC3ysl8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Obstructed_View
02-01-2013, 11:14 AM

100% with this... unless you're a pussy, which shockingly there aren't a lot of in the NBA (majorty are actually over confident), this won't phase anyone at all... and if you're a pussy enough to let this matter, it'll matter regardless of whether or not you spike it or just block it normally.

If you have control of it (which davs most definitly did), it's a dumb play no matter how you spin it.

You can probably count on one hand the number of guys who will go for a block when someone's running toward the basket with a head of steam. The fear of being "posterized" makes a lot of defenders just duck out of the way.

Obstructed_View
02-01-2013, 11:18 AM

"The key to really being effective at blocking shots is for the shooter to think he's gotten away. And that way you can block it, you can control it. You don't knock it in the stands, you treat it like...when the ball leaves his hand you treat it like a rebound, you hit it to some place that you can get it...the least amount of things you leave to chance, the better off you are. "
http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/rus0int-4

Poolboy5623
02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
^exactly...I doubt bill Russell ever once said it was a good idea to volleyball the shot into the stands...like the one poster said, it's basically an offensive rebound. Idiots like shaq did this his whole career...big Dave was great at keeping the ball in play.

Strategic
02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Dunk of the Night? Psh, it wasn't that great.. Only got it because there were only two games Thursday, tbh.

I caught some of RJ's PT in the game with the mavs. It looks like he's been given a little more freedom on the court, or maybe life :rolleyes is just a piece more agreeable to him in the bay area? For whatever reason, he just looked looser.

tp2021
02-01-2013, 12:25 PM
For whatever reason, he just looked looser.

Did his shorts have an open buttflap?

Embedded
02-01-2013, 04:40 PM
ROFLMFAO @ Open Buttflap Hahahahahaha! Hmmmmmm I've got to get my wife a pair of pajamas with an open buttflap. That's been a fantasy of mine.