PDA

View Full Version : Selling knowledge?

picnroll
07-01-2005, 10:22 AM
The Spurs acquired the Hawks second round pick last year to draft Sanikidze. in excahnge for the Spurs second round pick this year. The Hawks used that pick, the 59th, on a Turkish kid seen in the FIBA Europe videos of the France - Turkey game, Cenk Akyol. This was a kid the Spurs brass was high on. I wonder if part of the deal with Atlanta was that the Spurs would help them identify a young Euro talent for the Hawks to use on the pick they acquired from SA. Maybe a new market for the Spurs incredible braintrust is selling draft knowledge for favors.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Could be. But we'll never know...

BigDaddyMatty
07-01-2005, 10:38 AM
doubt the Spurs FO would ever do anything to help another team. They never know when they could help someone draft the next manu.

Useruser666
07-01-2005, 10:43 AM
We are talking the Hawks here! It's pitty info! :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Better yet, use the league's trust to go CIA and draft a bunch of scrubs for other teams.

"With the number one pick in the 2006 draft, the LA Lakers select...Wilford Brimley."

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I would not be surprised to see other organizations reluctant to deal with the World Champs. Why on Earth would anyone want to give them any more picks?

picnroll
07-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Atlanta is a scrub taem and no immediate or mid-term threat to the Spurs. If the Spurs were to guide a team or two of no conseaquence to some "playas" the rep they developed for helping out could pay off handsomely. Deliberately guideteams to duds though and you will not be forgotten or forgiven. Spurs are always way ahead of the curve and it would not surprise me if they hadn't figure this could be one more trick in their bag to stay ahead of the competition.

Here's an example:

"Atlanta we want to unload Rasho and you need a big man. How about taking him, you trade Diaw and swallow a little salary in the process and we will work with you on your picks next year, particulalry your second rounder."

Dave McNulla
07-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Better yet, use the league's trust to go CIA and draft a bunch of scrubs for other teams.

"With the number one pick in the 2006 draft, the LA Lakers select...Wilford Brimley."
http://blogs.salon.com/0001444/images/2004/12/02/brimley%20despondent.jpg
it's the right thing to do... and a tasty way to do it. just throw me the damn ball.

spurster
07-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Maybe the Hawks will become the Spurs minor league team?

timvp
07-01-2005, 04:12 PM
picnroll might be on to something. After the draft, there was an article where RC said that Cenk Akyol was a steal in the draft. Perhaps last year the Spurs told the Hawks last year if they helped the Spurs get Viktor Sanikidze, the Spurs would let the Hawks know who the best international player is when they draft.

The Hawks are a cheap organization who I doubt spent much time scouting the Turkish leagues. The Spurs have scouts there.

Interesting...

timvp
07-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Maybe the Hawks will become the Spurs minor league team?

:rollin